Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've been using Alarm Clock Plus for ages. I appreciate the nap setting, which is measured in minutes from now and doesn't stay in your list of alarms when it's done, and the math setting, which allows you to force yourself to do one or more math problems of configurable complexity for dismiss and snooze if you're the type to just smack your phone in your sleep till it turns off. There's also a "skip next occurrence" option for repeat alarms. I like it enough I paid for no-ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have a bedside alarm clock that not only has a built-in li-ion battery for power outages, it also automatically adjusts for daylight savings :smug:

*Phone Kernel Panics, hard locks itself*

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

....that's why I have an alarm clock :confused:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

LastInLine posted:

And the best about that is that AMdroid has a history page to see what happened

I've been using Sleep as Android for years, one of my favorite features is that it controls my smart lights and gradually brightens my room with the alarm, dimming again when I snooze. Does AMdroid have light control?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Just get a cat jesus christ it'll have you up at the asscrack of dawn guaranteed for 18 years.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I pass out drunk in places that aren't my bed often enough I'd have been fired by now if my "alarm clock" didn't spend the day in my pants pocket.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I use a Lego Darth Vader alarm clock that I bonk on the head to snooze :3:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

i have a Timex clock radio that I bought probably close to 15 years ago that has worked flawlessly. I can't think of a reason to replace it with another device even though I keep trying to come up with a reason to do it. It has dual alarms. You can set either alarm as weekday, weekend, or every day. So, I set it once for weekday getting up for work and the only time I touch it is to turn off the alarm when i have a day off and don't plan on getting up at the normal time.

I use my phone as an alarm when I travel, but sometimes dumb tech just does the job.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

bull3964 posted:

i have a Timex clock radio that I bought probably close to 15 years ago that has worked flawlessly. I can't think of a reason to replace it with another device even though I keep trying to come up with a reason to do it. It has dual alarms. You can set either alarm as weekday, weekend, or every day. So, I set it once for weekday getting up for work and the only time I touch it is to turn off the alarm when i have a day off and don't plan on getting up at the normal time.

I use my phone as an alarm when I travel, but sometimes dumb tech just does the job.
Hadn't thought about it until you said that, but I've had my alarm clock for 17 years, and that's exactly the point -- I haven't ever thought about it. It has two alarms and a CD player that my roommates used to prank me with, setting Rage Against the Machine to wake me up at five in the morning. I've had smartphones lock up, I had an old feature phone that locked up like twice a week, but that thing never does.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I keep an old battery-powered alarm clock on my end table out of inertia, mainly because any newer clock has always-on LED digits and this one is just dark digits with a backlight button. It hasn't been used as an alarm clock in years mainly because the alarm part failed at some point.

I'm excited to see how it breaks when 2038 rolls around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Hadn't thought about it until you said that, but I've had my alarm clock for 17 years, and that's exactly the point -- I haven't ever thought about it. It has two alarms and a CD player that my roommates used to prank me with, setting Rage Against the Machine to wake me up at five in the morning. I've had smartphones lock up, I had an old feature phone that locked up like twice a week, but that thing never does.

I have an Echo Dot lying around that I really don't use since I'm mainly Google home. I thought about replacing my alarm with that. I even researched and found out that the alarms are stored locally and will still go off if WiFi is down. Then I thought of a power outage and thought "hmm, I could put it on a small ups or even put a small battery pack inline with the AC adapter. At that point thought, I just stopped. Why go through those hoops to replace something that has woken me up nearly 4,000 times without fail and literally needs no other features?

That said, there's more Google can do with respect to alarms. You should be able to designate backup devices, escalations if you will. I should be able to set an alarm for a bedroom Google home and tell it that my phone is a backup. If the Google cloud doesn't get positive confirmation that the home set off the alarm, it should push an alarm to my phone. Since the phone has its own battery and data connection, the likelihood that both devices would be offline would be slim.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i guess maybe i'm Old but the idea of giving over my life timing to an unintelligent agent run over :yayclod: by an advertising/commerce/hardware/etc corporation sounds like the worst possible idea i could really come up with. i don't understand why people willingly sign up for that stuff. yuck

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Just get a cat jesus christ it'll have you up at the asscrack of dawn guaranteed for 18 years.

This is the correct answer. Get a cat, start feeding it first thing in the morning, and you will never oversleep again.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Look at all you fancy people and your clocks.

I'm 31 and I've somehow woken up at 9am every single morning. No matter what time I fell asleep.

It kind of sucks sometimes.

I like the cat idea though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Timely is good. It has yet to fail me. I, however, have failed several times. But most of that was when I was first adjusting to my new wake up time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've been using Timely on my old rear end Galaxy S (replacing it with a 2013 Moto G as alarm clock in a few days) and on my daily driver (Nokia 7+ now) as you can sync alarms between devices so if I want I can activate an alarm on my Nexus 7 to wake up my wife (and this works wonders). Timely is great and never failed me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I've been using Sleep as Android for years, one of my favorite features is that it controls my smart lights and gradually brightens my room with the alarm, dimming again when I snooze. Does AMdroid have light control?

It doesn't as far as I can tell. I sleep in daylight so I never considered that necessary and therefore never looked into it much but isn't that something any alarm app can do with enough IFTTT work?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

LastInLine posted:

It doesn't as far as I can tell. I sleep in daylight so I never considered that necessary and therefore never looked into it much but isn't that something any alarm app can do with enough IFTTT work?

I mean maybe? It's baked in further than just gradual light/auto dim on snooze. There's a nightlight function in the app, and it can change your lighting 8* hours before your alarm is set to go off to remind you it's time to sleep. Figuring out how to do all that in IFTTT seems like a lot of work when Sleep as Android has its covered. Probably will just stay with what I know, thanks for the info.

*You set your needed sleep time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

In general if something works for you there's no reason to change up. It's not like alarms need updates to function so once you find the combination of features that work for you stick with it.

Alarm apps have always had this problem where everyone needs three features but no one needs the same three features so while broadly there are a lot of choices in any one user's case there are usually at most two apps that meet their feature requirements.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 25, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Android Apps Thread: get a cat

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have a bedside alarm clock that not only has a built-in li-ion battery for power outages, it also automatically adjusts for daylight savings :smug:

There's bit of the population who got burned buying a nice auto-adjust battery backup clock, only to have the Bush-era DST revision kick them in the jewels by requiring FOUR yearly adjustments :c00lbutt:

Edit: thought we solved this problem like a year ago, just have your mom do a wake-up call. If that doesn't work, add more cats

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 25, 2018

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Don't be a clock janitor.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Look at all you fancy people and your clocks.

I'm 31 and I've somehow woken up at 9am every single morning. No matter what time I fell asleep.

I wouldn't need a clock if I had another four hours to sleep every day, either.

I wake up before my alarm most of the time, but it's harder in the winter when it's still dark out.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I pretty much just use the stock alarm (but I'm also one of those old people who hasn't actually been awakened by my alarm in years).

I do use it to make sure I'm awake when I get close to my final bus stop on my way to work, though, and that's a bit more critical. I've looked at proximity-based alarms but I've never found one I could actually make work well.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Find a Wifi network near to the point you want the alarm to go off and use trigger?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

AlexDeGruven posted:

Timely is good. It has yet to fail me. I, however, have failed several times. But most of that was when I was first adjusting to my new wake up time.

I have also been using timely since the Galaxy Nexus days.

Remember when it used to be a paid app before Google bought it? Remember when it would get updates more often than once every other year before Google bought it?

It's still a great app though and I've used it everyday for the past 4 years or so.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I had something like this happen a couple times with my Sprint HTC Hero. Woke up feeling well-rested and immediately knew something was wrong. Checked my phone and saw "Clock has been forced to stop" and a text from my boss to the effect of "where are you??" Texted back a screenshot of the error dialog and got "lol sucks" in response.

That very day I went out and got a proper phone: a Sprint Galaxy Nexus. :buddy:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm going to try Timely tonight. I tried AMDroid last night for a 7:30am wake up time and it went off at 430am instead :yotj:

I thought maybe for some reason it was set to pacific time or some weird thing, but nothing in there to mess with that stuff.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 26, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

I'm going to try Timely tonight. I tried AMDroid last night for a 7:30am wake up time and it went off at 430am instead :yotj:

I thought maybe for some reason it was set to pacific time or some weird thing, but nothing in there to mess with that stuff.

Well that's a problem I haven't had thank god. I have no idea how it could have happened though. I understand not wanting to troubleshoot but I'd sure love to hear the reason for it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Incessant Excess posted:

Timely... lacks material design.

Have you seen the design it does use? Pretty sure you can walk off this variance from MD.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

Have you seen the design it does use? Pretty sure you can walk off this variance from MD.

I mean you can but it sure is Holo as gently caress. It does work and works well, and as someone upthread mentioned the alarm tones are great but the aesthetics are, well, what they are. If you want a real blast from the past try out Gentle Alarm that's still Gingerbread and uses Droid Sans throughout.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Is there a video camera app that lets me save to an external thumb drive? my 16gb 6P is running short on space for some videos I want to shoot.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

I mean you can but it sure is Holo as gently caress.

Not really. It had pretty unique and clean design even at the time it came out. It's definitely not Material, and definitely a little dated, but it's still clean and very functional. I use AMDroid these days but I used Timely for a long time too, it was great.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

Not really. It had pretty unique and clean design even at the time it came out. It's definitely not Material, and definitely a little dated, but it's still clean and very functional. I use AMDroid these days but I used Timely for a long time too, it was great.

I think at the time it was held up as the example of what Holo can and should be (and also never was). I'm actually surprised it came out as late as it did (2013) as it looks a lot more Ice Cream Sandwich. It's still strictly Holo though as it doesn't have a single Gingerbread element in it (it never had Menu button support) and used new-for-Holo things like the toggles with labels, the Action Bar, the swipe tab navigation, and the new card UI.

And I agree, it's a great app that works well and now that it's dated it actually looks unique and vintage. It's certainly out of place in today's Material OS, but I can imagine it somehow blending Material-style toggles and switches with its crazy color blending palette and it could be a design leader again if only Google cared.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Timely definitely reminds me of Android Honeycomb on that detachable Asus tablet thing I had once...the transformer or something like that?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Android Apps Thread: get a cat

As a long time cat owner, they're the best alarm clock app.

Incessant Excess posted:

Don't be a clock janitor.

Sorry but my custom rom allows for user-engineered features such as custom alarms that also let me use greenify and launch busybox in a single swipe.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Strange that the smart home contenders have yet to invent a Wallace & Gromit style alarm clock that tilts your bed and drops you onto the breakfast chair while launching toast towards you.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
All this thread would know about it is that it doesn't cook eggs and as such is completely terrible.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

G-Spot Run posted:

it doesn't cook eggs

Unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And even if it did, it would probably just have scrambled as an option.