Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gyshall posted:

I wish I could zoom in closer, other than that this game is really sweet.

They're promising camera mode soon, so you'll get your wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bogart posted:

IIRC, there's a comet that hit, a volcano that's making GBS threads up the atmosphere with dust, a regular old cold snap, and also the drat sun is turning off.

That last one could just be some of the debris from the former obscuring it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What are the go to City layout/optimization guides? For example, where should I be putting my cooking kitchens? How many engineers should I staff there to start? Etc.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Gyshall posted:

What are the go to City layout/optimization guides? For example, where should I be putting my cooking kitchens? How many engineers should I staff there to start? Etc.

You probably want your kitchen centrally located, as your population has to swing by there to eat. Don't waste engineers staffing it, a couple of standard workers or children are more than enough to keep your food rations afloat. You might need two late game or on Arks if you're trying to help New Manchester.

I generally try to keep my work facilities clustered together and same with my housing. The reason being that later on you will have some Area-of-effect bonuses which will be more efficient if you don't have a mess of a city and already have a dense target for those buildings. (Example: Churches and Watchtowers)

Try to plan out where each "district" will be. You don't want to just cram poo poo along the central generator and tack on hubs as things expand, get a road built to some open land and establish your residential district around a steam hub.

Early game, try to see where you anticipate the work facilities going down (Thumpers, mines, wall drills) and put your Workshops there. Your workshops have a base 2 insulation so don't waste their big footprint inside heat zones which you need for housing early on. Later, you can add steam hubs which will then take care of the Workshops and the mines/ thumpers / drills.

Hunting lodges, Resource Depots, Beacons, Graveyards, Snow pits don't need heat at all ever - stick them out on the edge. Anything with automatons can also go unheated.

Some buildings have a massive insulation value by default, such as the (upgraded) infirmary, prison, and propaganda center - but their footprint is also massive. Do the math to determine if it's worth trying to heat them when they first go down. They'll need heat eventually but if coal is an issue they can hold their own for a while.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Also, don't forget that you can set hubs to automatically shut down after work hours. Plus you should use the heat map to turn off any excessive heating should the temperature rise, better insulation, etc. Coal consumption can be kept to a minimum through careful management.

e: It's a pretty good thing tbh. You can't really limit your consumption of other resources, besides from putting sawdust in bread or researching super-houses.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 6, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

game updated, by the way:

- - - GENERAL NOTES - - -

Naming Characters and Automatons — You can now change the names of your people and automatons. This feature not only allows you to dive deeper into the in-game world, but will also help you while managing your city because from now on, you’ll be able to search for individuals (both men and machines) using given names. And we can also imagine that some streamers and youtubers might be happy about this one - naming citizens after their subscribers? Sounds like a perfect idea!
New Visuals — We dedicated many hours working on new visuals for certain elements of the game, including: Hunter Airships, Hunters’ Huts, Gathering Posts, Outposts and Workshops. From now on your city will look better than ever before and what’s more, it will be easier to find certain facilities among all the other buildings.
Intel NUC Skull Canyon and Razer Chroma Support — it’s rather self explanatory, really! If you own the aforementioned devices you can now use their full potential in our games. We think you’re gonna like it!
Fixes, optimization and ALL THAT STUFF — As always, we crushed a number of bugs that were bothering our players and optimized here and there, improving the overall experience for the game. For the full list of changes, be sure to check the changelog below.

- - - FULL CHANGE LOG - - -

New features:
You can now change the names of your people and automatons
You can now search for people and automatons by name
New visual variants of hunter airships
Diversified looks of Hunter Huts, Gathering Posts, Outposts and Workshops
Keyboard can now be used to navigate the main menu
Added Intel NUC Skull Canyon support
Added Razer Chroma support

Smaller changes and balancing:
Building grid revamped - it is now easier to fit an optimal number of buildings within an area. Also, buildings will expand to adjacent, otherwise unusable single-cell spaces, resulting in cleaner layouts.
Many tweaks dealing with erratic hunter behavior and people getting stuck
Additional UI tweaks and fixes

Fixes:
Fixed a crash after selecting a group of people approaching the city
Numerous optimization changes
Fixed required temperature tutorial
Fixed problems with binding multimedia keys
Additional FX fixes
Fixed issue where wrong icons appeared over buildings

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

boar guy posted:

game updated, by the way:

- - - GENERAL NOTES - - -

Building grid revamped - it is now easier to fit an optimal number of buildings within an area. Also, buildings will expand to adjacent, otherwise unusable single-cell spaces, resulting in cleaner layouts.

Hell yeah. The setting in general made it feel pretty awkward to leave a bunch of well heated empty plots.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Nosfereefer posted:

Also, don't forget that you can set hubs to automatically shut down after work hours. Plus you should use the heat map to turn off any excessive heating should the temperature rise, better insulation, etc. Coal consumption can be kept to a minimum through careful management.

e: It's a pretty good thing tbh. You can't really limit your consumption of other resources, besides from putting sawdust in bread or researching super-houses.

To add on to this and its prior post - I've had a lot of success with building a big outer ring with steam hubs on it, and then focusing research on steam hub radius upgrades. If you put a steam hub on the fourth ring of a city, with expanded radius, it'll cover right up to the first ring, so you can pretty easily cover the entire map without raising your costs through increasing the central generator's radius. You can also determine which hubs will be living areas (and on 24h) and which will be work areas (and on normal or extended hours) and then it's easier to put in those buildings that provide central bonuses.

The only other add is to decide which sections of the map you won't heat. Those make great storage areas and Hunter's Huts, and if you know industries you want Automatons in right away, you can avoid heating those for cost savings. Iron, for example, is one of the first things I automate because it becomes such a bottleneck in mid-game, and so I don't put a hub nearby (or have a hub I salvage later rather than upgrade, if I really need people in it) and surround it with Huts and storage.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hotfix today for the automaton-naming update, saves were taking too long to save (I noticed my game hanging whenever midnight's autosave hit) so that's good.

I underestimated how good upgraded Coal Thumpers are. It's manpower-intensive compared to a coal mine (up to 50 guys assuming you have no automatons) but yeah, having all those refugees man the coal thumpers paid for itself and gave them something to do.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Anyone who is remotely interested in this game should pick it up - it's on sale right now for 25% off on STEAM.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Coal thumpers generate ridiculous amounts of coal, and unlike the mine they don't need steam cores so you can crank out more automatons. :v:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Truga posted:

Coal thumpers generate ridiculous amounts of coal, and unlike the mine they don't need steam cores so you can crank out more automatons. :v:

AND you can use the children!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
If anyone wants to mix it up, go 100% charcoal production. Your city will just feel that much warmer.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Just started out with this. After a few re starts I think I understand most systems, but can I really only ever build 2 outposts at a time in the first scenario?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

genericnick posted:

Just started out with this. After a few re starts I think I understand most systems, but can I really only ever build 2 outposts at a time in the first scenario?

Yeah, it sucks a bit. Sacrifice your scouts to open up that steam core outpost, which you can use to widely expand your infirmary system, food production, coal production, or wood production (you have to make some choices there). This should take care of your thirst for outpost production. In my last playthrough, I used steam cores to build three coal mines (which gave me more coal than I knew what to do with) and a wall drill, and took the fishing camp as my second outpost.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finished the first scenario. Never really felt pressured except by silly numbers on the thermometer. Spamming automatons is pretty powerful. And I still turned into Frost - Hitler since I couldn't not press the law button when it was off cooldown.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

genericnick posted:

Finished the first scenario. Never really felt pressured except by silly numbers on the thermometer. Spamming automatons is pretty powerful. And I still turned into Frost - Hitler since I couldn't not press the law button when it was off cooldown.

Yeah, the tech tree is the one that's all good. The Law tree is just decisions, and it's extremely easy to accidentally everyone's freedom if you just make them as fast as you can, even if you don't press the burning doom button.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

First successful run of A New Home, 0 deaths, 0 discontent, max hope. Everything is peaches until that loving poet killed himself. I guess the newspaper was too mean in reviewing his super helpful doom and gloom material and hurt his sensitive poet feelings. Well news flash, fucko, your muse is poo poo and it's scheduled for the next 14 hr shift at the coal thumper. Also apparently I'm Frost Hitler for the terrible crime of running a newspaper and putting a single dude in a custom built jail for two days (sentence commuted due to the end of the world, so I demo'd the jail and let him huddle with the rest of the shivering masses).

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

GloomMouse posted:

First successful run of A New Home, 0 deaths, 0 discontent, max hope. Everything is peaches until that loving poet killed himself. I guess the newspaper was too mean in reviewing his super helpful doom and gloom material and hurt his sensitive poet feelings. Well news flash, fucko, your muse is poo poo and it's scheduled for the next 14 hr shift at the coal thumper. Also apparently I'm Frost Hitler for the terrible crime of running a newspaper and putting a single dude in a custom built jail for two days (sentence commuted due to the end of the world, so I demo'd the jail and let him huddle with the rest of the shivering masses).

Was it worth it, monster?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

GloomMouse posted:

Sentence: Death by guillotine.

Is your name Henry perchance?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The Fall of Winterhome scenario is out.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I hate the old Captain so much for the layout of Winterhome - he deserved whatever lynching he got.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I hate the old Captain so much for the layout of Winterhome - he deserved whatever lynching he got.

Oh poo poo, Winterhome scenario?!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

My friends, do not worry, we will destroy all of your homes, and in the morning you will feel much better about the new layout if you survive.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ephemeron posted:

The Fall of Winterhome scenario is out.
If I hadn't called the explorers back, would I have known of another city to send people to?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
This is like playing Refugees after an 11 year old had control for the first 10 minutes.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Are laws available for everyone else in Winterhome? I accessed the laws screen, and everything was blank, so I assumed the scenario came with laws already finalized... and then it prompted me to select a law to deal with the health issues, and it took effect, and I think it's bugged for me.

edit: checked the Steam forums, it's a common bug, apparently I need to verify the game files

Good, now I can restart knowing what to do and pretend like I knew it all along!

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 19, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

skeleton warrior posted:

Are laws available for everyone else in Winterhome? I accessed the laws screen, and everything was blank, so I assumed the scenario came with laws already finalized... and then it prompted me to select a law to deal with the health issues, and it took effect, and I think it's bugged for me.

edit: checked the Steam forums, it's a common bug, apparently I need to verify the game files

Good, now I can restart knowing what to do and pretend like I knew it all along!

I had the same bug and it resolved by just exiting the game fully and opening it again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't know why, but I'll get a whole heap of deaths every so often. Like, there'll be ample space in my medical posts, a fuckload of care houses are available and noone sick or gravely sick without being treated, plenty of food, and houses of healing, and yet every night like 3 dudes will die. No mention of how, either.

I'd be fine with it but I need to get 50 hope and it's impossible when randos just keep loving dying. I noticed that a heap of gravely ill people attended a sermon before dying, meaning these idiots prayed themselves to death I guess. Then I get banished.

Fall of Winterhome is very difficult on hard mode, and I don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong.

jokes fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 20, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
pretty sure you don't make it out of winterhome so people dying makes sense

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nice twist. You have all the workers and resources you need in Winterhome, it's just the city is in rotten shape.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
End game of Winterholm:

Much different to manage a contraction of a city - you need so much loving steel for the dreadnought it was neigh impossible to keep up. Also I missed the 500 by two goddamn people because I was hesitant to load too many with the early shipments.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Man, the Winterhome scenario is really good when you've played all of the other scenarios.

It starts out with everything poorly arranged and mismanaged, so you have to know what you're doing right away to identify what needs to get fixed and how. On Hard, everything is critical and it took me ten tries before I figured out the sequencing to survive the first week. Add in to that the fact that a bunch of laws are pre-chosen for you, many of which I try to avoid in games (child labor, radical treatments, burial pits), so you have to figure out how to make those work for you.

And then it completely flips everything around by making you dismantle and evacuate, with a brand new mechanic. I don't know how you get 500 people out on Hard without seriously cheesing the game, I barely had enough for the fourth set of cabins before everything fell apart on me.

I may try it again on Normal just to see if I can get the Dreadnought fully running.

Wow, that was good.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Ofaloaf posted:

If I hadn't called the explorers back, would I have known of another city to send people to?

Regarding the second group of Scientists (the ones exploring, not the weather station) in the Winterhome scenario, if you don't call them back you can get a callback event to A New Home. Check the link below for a screenshot

Spoilers within ->

http://imgur.com/a/TBSkHNn

You then lose control of the scouts and don't hear from them again. I found all this on a reddit thread, mind, as I called the guys back to finish with 400 folks on a fully-loaded dreadnought.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 24, 2018

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I watched a video with some Frostpunk tips and I wanted to share one to see if it was bhllshit. The guy explains that the calculations for whether someone gets sick includes cold areas they moved through. This meant it was best to heat not only where people worked but also where they MOVED through. I noticed when Hunter's Huts were sending my people through a large cold area to hunt there would be a spike in sick people. I then started watching how my people walked to work and realized they were walking through the large cold area too. There would be a spike of sick people like before. Once I heated where they walked people stopped getting sick. Has anyone else noticed this?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

limp_cheese posted:

I watched a video with some Frostpunk tips and I wanted to share one to see if it was bhllshit. The guy explains that the calculations for whether someone gets sick includes cold areas they moved through. This meant it was best to heat not only where people worked but also where they MOVED through. I noticed when Hunter's Huts were sending my people through a large cold area to hunt there would be a spike in sick people. I then started watching how my people walked to work and realized they were walking through the large cold area too. There would be a spike of sick people like before. Once I heated where they walked people stopped getting sick. Has anyone else noticed this?

I haven't really noticed this - I've had segmented cities before (with distinct neighborhoods which would have had unheated paths between) and once you get everyone comfortable your sickness levels fall off to nothing. I think it only calculates where they work and live.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The where they move to thing does seem to be bullshit.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I've had plenty of disconnected hubs (throwing a hub down around iron or wall drills, building out some buildings around it, but never tracing it back to the big city) and I've never noticed any problems with illnesses in those hubs. It seems like it'd be easier to notice given that you're naturally given information on which buildings are understaffed due to absences.

I mean, it might be a thing that happens, but it's so overwhelmed by how easy it is to get ill if you're living in a not-quite-heated-enough home or working in a cold work site.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
IIRC, any time in cold areas increases your chance of illness, so if everyone's already borderline at work and home, then a long chilly walk to work could be juuust enough to push them over the edge.

I can't imagine this happening often enough to make "heat all paths" part of my core strategy.

In my experience, illness is one of those things that you either handle perfectly or the whole thing goes to poo poo real quick. If you don't have enough beds/doctors for the trickle of illness that can't be helped, then pretty soon you've got hundreds waiting for treatment and mass die-offs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Why do I have starving people even though I have a 3-digit food stockpile?