Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
No.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Maybe

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I have some friends, bless their souls, trying to perk me up with some diablo 3 because I've been talking about this thread and game lately but I don't have the heart to tell them that diablo 3 feels so loving boring compared to MH.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i dont even wanna look at an arpg if it has less then 30 characters

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Who would get the Cosmic Ghost Rider costume???

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Zigmidge posted:

I have some friends, bless their souls, trying to perk me up with some diablo 3 because I've been talking about this thread and game lately but I don't have the heart to tell them that diablo 3 feels so loving boring compared to MH.

It def always starts out feeling slow, I just started this season and oh my God I move so slow and hit so slow, but I know when I get to 70 and get gear and start rushing rifts it picks up.

MH on the other hand gave you a movement skill and packs of a dozen baddies to smash almost immediately

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

i hear you and i get you and i might get there in this season but there is nothing more bereft of creativity than yet another fantasy setting

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Diablo 4 should be set in the far future where you fight cyber demons on the moons of Mars

poo poo wait

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Look let's meet in the middle in a world setting where a hyper intelligent robot suit and ai manufacturer who is also a dope blacksmith battles alongside ancient norse gods of myth that can't pick a side. Where mutated humanoids of all shapes and sizes deal with racial strife beneath the heel of would-be kings and emperors. One where botched human genetic experiments and a wizard class can fight a common foe with a teenage web-spewing monk lacking in both patience and wisdom.

A world where squirrels, ducks and raccoons

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Diablo 4 should be set in the far future where you fight cyber demons on the moons of Mars

poo poo wait

You say that sarcastically but the Doom roguelike is actually one of the better roguelikes I've ever played.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Oh okay that's what you're doing wrong.

Stop treating Diablo like a setting or story because it's a Blizzard product and it's going to be 5000% garbage in that department.

Instead, you should treat it like "I'd like this +3 sword to be +4 oh look at that."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Oh okay that's what you're doing wrong.

Stop treating Diablo like a setting or story because it's a Blizzard product and it's going to be 5000% garbage in that department.

Instead, you should treat it like "I'd like this +3 sword to be +4 oh look at that."

Even in that regard Diablo 3 is poo poo compared to Diablo 2. In D2 you could acquire wealth, to some extent, as a player. You could increase your overall power by what you could afford to acquire from the community, and that gave you options for building a character. In Diablo 3, you just farm on a character for slightly better gear for that character. You can't take your so-so drops and barter them out to try and get a mid rune, and then take those mid runes and get a high rune and use that to get some nice piece of gear for one of your alts. You can't even really find gear for alts. They're all independent, unrelated characters to both your other characters and the rest of the community. It also means that 99.9% of everything that drops has value only for what crafting materials it breaks down into, so the drops are meaningless, and the ones that are upgrades are generally going to be "that exact same item, but slightly better."

For me personally, it leaves no sense of accomplishment or feeling of progression. Seeing the numbers on my gear go from 1.1 million to 1.2 million doesn't feel like an upgrade, nor does being able to now clear a GR 70 in 1:10 instead of 1:15.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Zaodai posted:

For me personally, it leaves no sense of accomplishment or feeling of progression. Seeing the numbers on my gear go from 1.1 million to 1.2 million doesn't feel like an upgrade, nor does being able to now clear a GR 70 in 1:10 instead of 1:15.

The regular ladder resets keep bringing me back at least for a week or two.

It's a different feedback loop and usually once I get a build together with a decent ancient weapon and get the level 25 gems my give a damm runs out.

It's still a great for watching Cars for the 87th time with my nephew on my lap and playing games on the 2nd monitor.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I like the midgame of D3, when you increase your power like 10,000-fold by finding a full armor set, and then find legendaries that transform it into an OP mess. When you're like, sweet, this armor set increases X by 2000%, and this legendary quadruples X's damage and makes it free to cast, and this other legendary makes it attack 50% faster, and this last one reduces incoming damage by 70% while casting X!

Once I stop making those insane leaps in power, I start to lose interest. Then months later my wife is like "Let's play Diablo!" and the whole thing starts again.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Shine posted:

I like the midgame of D3, when you increase your power like 10,000-fold by finding a full armor set, and then find legendaries that transform it into an OP mess. When you're like, sweet, this armor set increases X by 2000%, and this legendary quadruples X's damage and makes it free to cast, and this other legendary makes it attack 50% faster, and this last one reduces incoming damage by 70% while casting X!

Once I stop making those insane leaps in power, I start to lose interest. Then months later my wife is like "Let's play Diablo!" and the whole thing starts again.

Yep, now they just need to get rid of needing to level to 70 and it would be perfect for a week or two every season.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Oh my God the D3 story is absolutely trash

But yeh seasons and pushing rifts is fun to me for a couple of weeks but I also know that unless there's new items and sets I'm probably going to max out solo rifts around 80 because that's just the power level I manage to attain before I get bored.

But maybe they'll announce something new at Blizzcon

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I liked MH in large part because after a certain point you could ignore all that mim-maxing item grinding stats nerd jibberjabber and just treat it like an isometric arcade brawler.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Zaodai posted:

You say that sarcastically but the Doom roguelike is actually one of the better roguelikes I've ever played.

its also chelerekt

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I like Diablo 3 because it's mindless. Just like Marvel Heroes used to be.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
All this D3 talk has me wanting to play some D3 or GD.

I'm not going to... yet. But I am going to go see if there's a mod to reduce the damage of that stupid corruption poo poo in GD.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Even in that regard Diablo 3 is poo poo compared to Diablo 2. In D2 you could acquire wealth, to some extent, as a player. You could increase your overall power by what you could afford to acquire from the community, and that gave you options for building a character. In Diablo 3, you just farm on a character for slightly better gear for that character. You can't take your so-so drops and barter them out to try and get a mid rune, and then take those mid runes and get a high rune and use that to get some nice piece of gear for one of your alts. You can't even really find gear for alts. They're all independent, unrelated characters to both your other characters and the rest of the community. It also means that 99.9% of everything that drops has value only for what crafting materials it breaks down into, so the drops are meaningless, and the ones that are upgrades are generally going to be "that exact same item, but slightly better."

Play path of exile if you want a sense of progression in your arpg. You go from pooping on the beach while walking to doom teleporting across the map.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Fried Sushi posted:

Yep, now they just need to get rid of needing to level to 70 and it would be perfect for a week or two every season.

Yeah. The early season is kind of a slog if you don't have a buddy to power level you to 70 in 10 minutes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Holyshoot posted:

Play path of exile if you want a sense of progression in your arpg. You go from pooping on the beach while walking to doom teleporting across the map.

I would but it always felt kind of janky to me. I'm not playing any particular ARPG right now. :saddowns:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Zaodai posted:

I would but it always felt kind of janky to me. I'm not playing any particular ARPG right now. :saddowns:

I've tried 4 or 5 times to get into PoE but I can't get past that initial hump.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
PoE doesn't let me fight gods and devils with a belt-fed lmg, it can get hosed

I'm definitely feeling the concept of "why are all these games fantasy settings", I'll admit the comic book angle was a real selling point for me in mh (it was always great chattering with the crew in game about the latest new costume about where it's from etc) but I'll even meet y'all halfway and take a regular people arpg, lemme run around with a baseball bat over one more motherfucking game in not Europe punching knights

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I want to like POE but the graphics bother me and while blowing up baddies is fun it feels like the maps are way overpopulated or completely underpopulated with no middle ground, which isn't great as a lower level with not a lot of Murder Potentials

MH had big packs on large maps but also travel skills and even at low levels 2 button presses would send the entire pack flying. The teleport I have in POE is so slow it's literally faster to just walk.

E: maybe ranger is just not good?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
PoE just never clicked with me really

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've never been able to get into PoE because it's super loving rough to start and it's like someone said, "THE GENRE PEAKED AT DIABLO 2!"

Inventory Tetris is the worst gameplay mechanic.

Meanwhile Grim Dawn doesn't give enough loot and is too loving rough overall. The minute-to-minute is okay kind of but after trying three times to play the game after a few hours in I glaze over and lose interest but not in that good "you can play drunk!" way Marvel Heroes and D3 offer me.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
The early leveling in PoE is the worst I've encountered in a long time. It almost feels like they balanced the game around having some sort of cash store +to xp% scrolls or some bullshit, but then the scrolls were removed from the store without rebalancing xp gains.

The only way I've kept with it since beta is to join the goon guild, wait for a couple of weeks past the start of a new league, take a couple of leveling uniques from the guild stash (I try to return them/add to it) and go from there. Even then I usually only make 2 or 3 characters a league; a super cheap league starter character that doesn't use any expensive/rare gear, and an "endgame" character that requires certain items that I'm able to buy with what my starter character farms.

Doing something like removing the pretty much required movespeed mod and adding 30% to the base move speed would make it a bit more bearable, rather than having to wait to find a pair of boots with it. For example, a pair of unique boots that only has +50% to movespeed and can be used at level one sells for a few exalted orbs (a fairly high price, even at endgame).

I was also hoping that the new league mechanic was going to involve a new alternative leveling treadmill, unfortunately it's just kind of an optional thing that doesn't really help much with XP as far as I can tell.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 25, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They really do need to do something about move speed. Delves were also mad boring for me because it slowed down rather than sped up the part of the game you needed to do - maps - and yeah, you couldn't ever level with them because you didn't earn enough to keep your depth competitive with where you were in the story.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Okay, I lied. I put in about 1h50m into Grim Dawn tonight. Shaman (devouring swarm) mixed with Soldier on veteran/hardcore. I actually expected to die 20 minutes into the joke.

Now I'm bored and don't want to play anymore. Just unsold myself on the expansions next sale.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

the itemization in MH2015 was perfect cos every character used a zig, a gok, a swiggins, and a... poo poo what was the fourth one

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

oh yeh an AMA

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

wait no, a zola, cos otherwise you ran out of mana jogging to the first maggia man

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Items didn't matter as much in MH as there were a billion heroes with different kits. Shockingly some characters even had multiple viable builds. Some mechanically similar but at least visually distinct. And you could swap heroes on the fly so it was easy to keep from getting super bored. Items were just number boosters for the most part as opposed to build enabling.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Remember when they made the omega system and then completely scrapped it for the infinity system and then completely scrapped the game?

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
gently caress Lux

Also, HitIer

Le sigh

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

punchymcpunch posted:

wait no, a zola, cos otherwise you ran out of mana jogging to the first maggia man

You forgot the suggon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I cannot describe Marvel Heroes to someone who never played it in a way that makes it sound like a good game, but it completely ruined games like PoE for me. I simply can't force myself to keep trying that game, it feels SO bad and unfun to actually play the game that none of their amazing systems even matter. That's what MH had going for it, you felt like a god drat super hero the entire time you played it.