Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

I barely have time to play new games let alone go back and play stuff I already did, BC just isn't a factor for me and I'd bet that's true for the vast majority of people

they stopped including it because people don't actually use it when it's there. when ms did their big bc push last gen, people were happy but again barely used it to the point that they didn't even notice when ms silently abandoned it

some people would definitely get a lot of mileage out of it and it's better to have it than to not, but mostly people only care when it's not there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
BC is important shortly after release when there aren't a lot of games and even fewer system sellers, but it drops in value fast once a steady stream of current gen content is coming out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

goferchan posted:

I got like 2/3rds of the way through Spider-Man and I'll probably never finish it; it made a really strong first impression but it doesn't to a very good job ramping the mechanics up across the game, both in like enemy variety/difficulty and your own movement and combat abilities. Really felt like everything plateaued mechanically about halfway through unless there's some major poo poo that I'm totally unaware of that happens late-game.

Spiderman is bizarre in that a lot of the interesting stuff doesn't happen until close to the end of the game. Like the mid game has the most boring poo poo. I made the mistake of actually trying to do the new collection content as it sprung up as it was still kind of fun. But the game kept introducing new stuff so I just powered through the story after that.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think Modern Warfare 2 hit 8 in the sales charts when it was made BC last month lol. People not using the feature is a myth, everyone likes to revisit old favorites sometimes and it's nice having one device that does that rather than having a whole bunch of consoles connected to your TV.

Besides, Sony knows that PS4 owners want to play old games as well, that's why there's so many remasters.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Avicus posted:

I'd been confused about all the Hollow Knight praise, thinking I've played it and not being too impressed.

Of course, I was thinking of Shovel Knight. I bought two copies of HK last night.

Shovel Knight is way better than Hollow Knight

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I mean at this point it's clear that the we're going for another round of the new cycle, "generation winner fucks their customers because they're the big dog" so Sony destroying all their launch window goodwill with silly decisions shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The music in DQXI is fine, it really hasn't bothered me so far in ~15 hours of gameplay. The game itself is loving Amazing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Shovel Knight is way better than Hollow Knight

Gaming knights ranked, go:

Hollow
Shovel
Arkham
Spiral
Lunar
Fort

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everyone always forgets Clockwork Knight.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Only if you mean this one

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Everyone always forgets Clockwork Knight.

I got a Saturn for Christmas and it had a demo disc with Clockwork Knight and even as a dumb middle schooler I could tell it sucked

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I do now

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Artorias and Meta are good as well

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

haveblue posted:

BC is important shortly after release when there aren't a lot of games and even fewer system sellers, but it drops in value fast once a steady stream of current gen content is coming out.

Agreed.

The PS4 has to date sold roughly ~82m units, that's almost overtaken the PS3 lifetime sales in a shorter time-scale (5 years vs 7 years). All this without BC. It would be nice to have on the PS5 but it's absolutely not a deal-breaker.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Holy poo poo, Battlefield 1 Revolution is 80% off, I got that in an instant

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Samuringa posted:

Holy poo poo, Battlefield 1 Revolution is 80% off, I got that in an instant

Last week the base game was on sale for $5 and the Premium Pass was free...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Wasn't that at Origin? I don't remember hearing anything about that for consoles.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

God this game rules, my only copy got ruined though, rip

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, their "backwards compatibility" is just souped up emulation. To the consumer, none of that matters though. All they know, is that they can pop in Gears of War 2 they got 10 years ago and play it on their Xbox One.

Developers had trouble with the PS3 at launch in large part because Sony provided terrible API's and developer support. The fact that by 2008 third party devs largely had it figured out and games were being ported across 360/ps3/PC should show that it's not impossible to engineer a solution, it's just not what Sony wants to do.

No, it isn't. Again; Microsoft specifically designed the XBOne hardware for X360 backwards-compatibility. And they did it because they knew emulating X360 games in software alone was going to be more trouble than it was worth.

Also there's a whole lot of difference under the hood between a game built for a multiplatform release and one specifically engineered for a single console.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 25, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6oP_xLztFo

That was the best Dragon Quest trailer ever. If everything they show through most of the trailer wasn't enough to blow your mind, at the very end they go "oh yeah and you can load yourself into a cannon and blow yourself at the enemy"

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 25, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, it isn't. Again; Microsoft specifically designed the XBOne hardware for X360 backwards-compatibility. And they did it because they knew emulating X360 games in software alone was going to be more trouble than it was worth.

Also there's a whole lot of difference under the hood between a game built for a multiplatform release and one specifically engineered for a single console.

Not just that, they made sure they controlled all the IP this time (they got burned by nVidia with the Xbox 1 (the first Xbox (which they called the Xbox)))

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But Xbox 360 compatibility wasn't in the Xbox One at the start, it took over a year before it was introduced. I really don't think this is true. Microsoft introduced it as a response to set themselves apart from the PlayStation 4 and as a desperation move because the XB1 was selling so poorly.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arist posted:

God this game rules, my only copy got ruined though, rip

It’s a lot of fun and I’m thinking I should play it again, also it’s a shame the 3DS sequel never made it over here

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

War is hell.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I said come in! posted:

But Xbox 360 compatibility wasn't in the Xbox One at the start, it took over a year before it was introduced. I really don't think this is true. Microsoft introduced it as a response to set themselves apart from the PlayStation 4 and as a desperation move because the XB1 was selling so poorly.

*ahem* YOU DO REALIZE
:goonsay:

That you can design a computer system to do something but not enable it in software until any given time?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I said come in! posted:

quote:

Rather than going the route of the initial PlayStation 3 which included a core PlayStation 2 system-on-a-chip processor, the Xbox One hardware was designed to include support for Xbox 360 XMA and texture processing on hardware, knowing this would be difficult to replicate in software.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

*ahem* YOU DO REALIZE
:goonsay:

That you can design a computer system to do something but not enable it in software until any given time?

Yeah but that's not what happened in this case.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I said come in! posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/xb1-backward-compat-missed-launch-because-of-always-online-debacle/

Here's your answer.

Yes it was always there but they just pushed it back turning it on because they needed to fix their launch mistakes.

The biggest delay to the Xbox one's backwards compatibility is checking with the publishers again if they can make their game bc and available for sale on Xbox one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If I wanted to hear this much bullshit about Xbox I’d go read the loser thread

They should make a PS5 that plays Xbone games so I can play Rare Replay

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I said come in! posted:

It is actually

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Well other than literally being what happened, sure :shrug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well other than literally being what happened, sure :shrug:

I'll be sure to take at face value the words of a company that has a history of saying "actually we intended to do it this way all along." in order to save face.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I'll be sure to take at face value the words of a company that has a history of saying "actually we intended to do it this way all along." in order to save face.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I said come in! posted:

What face, Catmech?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Speaking of saving face you should move on from this discussion

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Except that’s not what they’re doing, none of this saves them any face. They had a giant mess and it had cascading effects on other features. The article literally is about how this didn’t roll out how they intended all along.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Speaking of saving face you should move on from this discussion

It's a pointless discussion that likely isn't true, can't be verified beyond what mouthpieces for Microsoft have said, and has nothing to do with the PlayStation 4, so sure?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Help, trying to upgrade Hard drives on my PS4, I've downloaded the System Software Update 6.00 from here https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/ps4-system-software/ onto a flash drive but I can't get my PS4 to accept it.

quote:

The update file cannot be used.
Connect a USB storage device that contains an update file for reinstallation for version 6.00 or later.
(CE-3488-0)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

It's a pointless discussion that likely isn't true, can't be verified beyond what mouthpieces for Microsoft have said, and has nothing to do with the PlayStation 4, so sure?

Oh the ol’ “what is the truth, really?” strategy of not admitting you were wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

RareAcumen posted:

Help, trying to upgrade Hard drives on my PS4, I've downloaded the System Software Update 6.00 from here https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/ps4-system-software/ onto a flash drive but I can't get my PS4 to accept it.

Super sorry to not be as helpful as I could be because I can't look it up at work, but there's usually 2 versions of the software update, and you really have to grab the one made to install from scratch.

I'd point you in the right direction if I could!