Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The_White_Crane posted:

Sure, let's visit the shrine.
Maybe we can mock their oracle and steal some of their sacred objects while we're there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Let’s go visit the Oracle!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Let's enshrine ourselves!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Mikl posted:

Oracles have never steered us wrong so far.

Effectively...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Buccaneers of Shadaki posted:

You follow Grooja out of his hut and along a vermin-infested path which wends a tortuous route through a maze of slum dwellings and festering rubbish dumps. After a mile or so, this rough track ascends into a wooded hillside and then ends upon a plateau which overlooks the harbour. From here you can see Jenkshi and his crew working on The Azan by the light of a hundred oily torches. With undisguised pride, Grooja points to the Shrine of the Oracle and invites you to avail yourself of its wisdom. The shrine consists of a man-sized statue constructed from rusting metal and chunks of driftwood held together with nails, strips of animal skin, and twisted steel wire. You decide to humour Grooja and so you ask the statue to tell you if there is anyone you should trust or distrust during your long journey to Suhn. As expected, you get no response. But then a wind arises and it makes a faint whistling sound as it passes through the holes in the statue. For a fleeting moment you think you hear the words: ‘Bad … dragon … is good,’ but then the wind dies and there is nothing but silence. Grooja smiles. He seems to think that the oracle has spoken a great truth.

‘Come, we go now. The Oracle speaks but once a day. It has given you good wisdom. You are blessed.’

On returning to Grooja’s hut, you find Tolshi waiting there for you. He asks you to accompany him to the ship at once for the captain needs you to help with the repairs. It is as if your silent prayers for rescue have been answered. You thank the elder for the visit to the oracle, and his wife for her hospitality, and then you leave quickly with the helmsman.

‘The captain doesn’t really need your help,’ confides a grinning Tolshi, as you make your way hurriedly through the hovels of Dlash-da Ralzuha towards its torchlit harbour. ‘He just thought you’d welcome an excuse for not having to stay all night at Grooja’s flea-ridden shack!’

On your return to the ship you thank the captain for sending Tolshi to rescue you, and to show your appreciation, you help the crew to patch the damaged hull. By first light the repairs have been completed and the cargo is then reloaded into the hold. Jenkshi gives Grooja and the natives some copper ingots as payment for their help, and then the crew cast off and catch the morning tide.

For two days The Azan hugs the coastline as it sails a southerly course to Ghol-Tabras. The weather is kind and the ship makes good progress, enabling you to enter port shortly before dusk.

Deliverance can now be used again.

A sinister quiet enshrouds the great city of Ghol-Tabras as The Azan sails beneath the arch of its harbour bridge and docks alongside its grand stone quay. The only citizens to be seen abroad are the guards of the Harbour Watch who quickly approach once the ship is safely moored. A sly-faced sergeant informs Captain Jenkshi that a night curfew is in force, and that a mooring fee of 100 Nobles a day must be paid by all ships arriving after sunset. This is a huge charge and Jenkshi complains bitterly, but the sergeant merely laughs as his protests. ‘Pay the fee or forfeit your ship, captain,’ he sneers. Jenkshi asks that he be allowed to pay tomorrow, so that he may sell some of his cargo to offset the exorbitant fee, but the sergeant shakes his head and refuses his request out of hand. ‘The fee must be paid now,’ he growls, ‘and in coinage—not cargo.’

Reluctantly the captain pays the sergeant using every last Noble that he possesses, leaving him with no money to pay his crew or purchase fresh supplies of food and water in the morning. He tells the crew that he must sell some of the cargo to raise the money he needs. A sale must be arranged quickly for he cannot afford to stay in this harbour for more than a day. Jenkshi picks a handful of his best crew members and tells them to accompany him ashore to help him find someone who will be willing to buy his copper ingots. You offer to help him and he suggests that you take half his men and meet back at the ship at dawn. He tells you to accept no less than 8 Nobles per ingot. He also tells you of two places he knows where a buyer for copper may be found: the Flying Fish Tavern and Coppersmiths’ Hall.
Shall we try the Flying Fish Tavern or Coppersmiths’ Hall?

Bad Dragon is good, you say? Well, someone told me that oracles have never steered us wrong before...

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Alas, I was going to make that joke.

Let's go see some coppers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The coppersmiths' hall sounds like a reliable source for getting a sale. But I bet the tavern is more interesting!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
tavern. I need a drink.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The Smiths sound trustworthy.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Well, the Coppersmiths probably have some sort of price-fixing cartel going.
So let's sell our metal to some bloke down the Tavern.

Also holy poo poo but we apparently really loving hate these tribespeople. I'm surprised we gave them copper ingots and not loving beads.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

tavern. I need a drink.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Coppersmiths.

Also that sly-faced sergeant was totally conning us.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Let's go to the tavern!

Seriously, why do we hate these random tribespeople so much when they treated us so well? Did Lone Wolf not impress on us the necessity of all the days he spent crawling through literal poo poo?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Coppersmiths should be the most rational choice. After all, is their job.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The_White_Crane posted:

Also holy poo poo but we apparently really loving hate these tribespeople. I'm surprised we gave them copper ingots and not loving beads.

We should have been all over their cool found-art Oracle if we had any sense. But we're totally the privileged white girl.

Privileged white girl will try to sell copper to the authorised vendors. Coppersmiths.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maugrim posted:

Coppersmiths.

Following directions given by the men in your charge, you make your way through the quiet streets of Ghol-Tabras until you arrive at the grand double doors of its Coppersmiths’ Hall. You push open one of these mighty portals and enter an imposing chamber that is decorated with the portraits of wealthy Shadakine merchants and past coppermasters. The warden of the hall comes hurrying towards you from the door to an antechamber. He is grumbling and waving his hands frantically as if he is trying to shoo away a cloud of invisible insects. It is clear from his sour expression that he has an intense dislike of the Suhnese.

‘Out! Out! Leave here at once!’ he blusters. You are about to be ejected from the hall when suddenly a guildsman intervenes. He orders the warden to stop shouting and calm himself down before his blood boils over. Seething with fury, the warden bites his lower lip as he tries with difficulty to obey this man’s command.

‘My name is Noliq,’ says the guildsman. ‘How may I be of service?’

You tell the man that you wish to sell some copper ingots. He smiles and says that he may be able to help you. The warden warns him that to do so after sunset is illegal, but the guildsman dismisses his comment with a disparaging flick of his hand.

‘Come to my chambers and we’ll discuss this matter further,’ he says, smiling. You motion to the crew to follow you but the man raises his hand once more, this time in protest. ‘I will discuss the matter only with you,’ he says. And then with a disdainful tone in his voice he adds, ‘These men will have to leave the hall and wait for you outside in the street.’
Do we tell the crew to wait outside, or do we go instead to the Flying Fish Tavern or back to the ship?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Kai-SurgeTavern

nelson fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 27, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Go with the nice man. Then when he inevitably betrays us, shank his rear end.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Or Mind Charm him into the best deal possible for us, worst for him.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Man, this book is just full of racism on all fronts, isn't it?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

At least it's the bad guys being racist now.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Go with the nice man. Then when he inevitably m'ladys us, shank his rear end.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Go with him and get ready to bash a racist.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Go with the nice man. Then when he inevitably betrays us, shank his rear end. Or Mind Charm him into the best deal possible for us, worst for him.

You apologize to your companions and ask them to wait for you outside the hall’s double doors. Meekly the Suhnese agree, and as they file out of the hall you assure them that they will not have to wait too long. You then accompany the guildsman to his chambers where he attempts to drive a hard bargain for the copper. He offers you 6 Nobles for each ingot and says that it is his best and final price. It is not a very good price and you tell him that you will have to speak with Jenkshi before you can agree to his offer.

‘Very well,’ he says. ‘I’m sure your captain is a reasonable man. I feel confident we’ll do business.’

From an ornate cabinet he removes a decanter and two long-stemmed glasses. He then pours two glasses of liqueur and offers one of them to you.

The cherry-red liqueur looks very appealing, but you are sorely aware that the Suhnese are waiting for you in the street outside the hall. There is a curfew in force in Ghol-Tabras and night is fast approaching.
Do we drink or leave?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Leave

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Drink! I bet this guy is a Helghast (yes, I know Helghast aren't a thing anymore, but I miss them) and I want to see the insta-death.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Drink.
This is just an insultingly obvious trap, but what the hell. Free booze!

He offers you 6 Nobles for each ingot and says that it is his best and final price. It is not a very good price and you tell him that you will have to speak with Jenkshi before you can agree to his offer.

... it sure is handy that Braveheart knows the going rate for copper ingots, huh?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

... it sure is handy that Braveheart knows the going rate for copper ingots, huh?

quote:

Previously on The Buccaneers of Shadaki:

Jenkshi picks a handful of his best crew members and tells them to accompany him ashore to help him find someone who will be willing to buy his copper ingots. You offer to help him and he suggests that you take half his men and meet back at the ship at dawn. He tells you to accept no less than 8 Nobles per ingot.

achtungnight posted:

I know Helghast aren't a thing anymore
Aren't they? I don't know how you could ever be sure you'd gotten rid of all of them. Almost anyone you meet might be a Helghast in disguise.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Drink the poisoned wine.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Previously on The Buccaneers of Shadaki:

Oh, huh! I missed that!
Well, that was surprisingly foresighted of Dever!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
We haven't died yet this book. Let's fix that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lone Wolf got turned into a statue once by a friendly man. Braveheart needs her chance to go down in history too. DRINK THAT poo poo

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DRINK THAT poo poo

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Lone Wolf would drink the wine. Don't be Lone Wolf.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Leave and get a better deal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

We haven't died yet this book. Let's fix that.
I'm assuming that this is a vote for drinking.

You take the glass and sip the cherry-coloured liqueur. It has a delicious flavour and you commend the guildsman for his good taste. The man is greatly flattered, so much so that he offers you a bottle of this fine Scava liqueur. (If you wish to accept his offer, record this Bottle of Scava on your Action Chart as a Backpack Item.)

You then bid the guildsman good evening and promise that you will return tomorrow morning to conclude your business. On leaving the hall you rejoin the Suhnese and hurry with them through the flagstoned streets of the city, retracing your route back to the harbour in the hope of reaching The Azan before night closes in completely. You are within a few hundred yards of the harbour entrance when suddenly a patrol of the city watch come marching around a corner with their spears couched on their chainmailed shoulders. Their officer commands you all to halt and demands that you raise your hands above your heads.
Do we surrender or run?

We automatically took the Scava as we had enough space for it in our backpack.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I'm assuming that this is a vote for drinking.

It was, and I'm frankly amazed we're still alive. Oh well, surrender I guess. It's not like our pals would be able to run.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You'll never take me alive!!

Also I'm really surprised we ain't dead.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Kai-Surge! Um run away I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Leg it!