Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Maybe not, but I still want an answer to my question, why do they put photos of people everywhere in places where other cultures don't?

I think that's a legit interesting question, it's prob due to some deep cultural difference I don't know about.

Dude it’s a propaganda piece.

Political ads usually include a depiction of the candidate or party leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah I'll wager it's rarely "random people" but more often political figures, CEOs, cultural icons, etc that lend authority to whatever the image/graph is about.

"I'm [NAME], and I approve this message!" (whether they're aware of it or not)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I like the idea that Narendra Modi is just some random guy and not one of the most important people in the world. I mean checks out it's jsut an Indian thing though as I personally have never seen a picture of Donald Trump and wouldn't know him if I saw him.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought it was just good Modi cosplay.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

To be fair, that photo is like "old-indian-man-stock.jpg".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How so? Why is it more stock-like than a photo of Trump or May or Merkel?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It should be pretty easy to find a picture from the US, the UK, or other countries showing a leader or some political figure beside a random chart if it's not an Indian thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can’t manage to successfully search for Indian graphs with people, so not being able to find them for other countries isn’t proving much to me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Let me rephrase: OP can surely find many other Indian graphs fitting this criterion if this is an Indian thing, and others can surely then find many other non-Indian graphs of this type if this is not just an Indian thing. Otherwise this discussion is really abstract and lacking in graphs and charts, funny or otherwise.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/JRReed/status/1043125797249331200

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

What is it with Britain and putting photos of random people in images that are otherwise supposed to look official?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
What's a "session low" in this context? Is it the daily low of the exchange rate?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What's a "session low" in this context? Is it the daily low of the exchange rate?

I think there may be some significance to this in that it's a significant drop over a very short period of time, possibly she sharpest drop in under a day, but it's not particularly high or low for the year.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I think that means the "European Session" or "London Session" - the markets are open 24 hours a day but tend to sort into 3 sessions geographically.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex/08/3-market-system.asp

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What is it with Britain and putting photos of random people in images that are otherwise supposed to look official?

:golfclap:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's not a particularly notable drop, just looks bad because it shows the last 24h. Last Friday it was 1.307.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
In terms of currency, $.02 in a day is a big deal. Like most currencies aren’t bitcoin, they tend to have stable values. As someone going to Europe soon though gently caress yeah more blood for the blood god bleed that chart red.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Also pre-Brexit the pound was worth something like $1.60.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I remember times when pound was more expensive than LVL, which historically traded 2:1 with USD (in broad strokes).

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

This is good news for britcoin. Buy the dip and hodl

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Finally someone’s asking the real questions!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

System Metternich posted:

Finally someone’s asking the real questions!

I feel like at the very least, Thanksgiving would probably be very different.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like at the very least, Thanksgiving would probably be very different.

especially if the transformation can happen post-mortem

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does that graph assume that humans who’ve turned into turkeys won’t turn back into humans ever again?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Jay Rust posted:

Does that graph assume that humans who’ve turned into turkeys won’t turn back into humans ever again?

I think it does, actually. There are probably a bunch of poor sods who already have switched species multiple times by day 10.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Jay Rust posted:

I don't think it does. That's some standard rear end equilibrium kinetics.

If they assumed a no backsies provision, the two populations would just slowly flip instead of converge.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On the pictures of people in Indian politics thing:

It's about cult of personality politics.

She's dead now, but when Jayalalitha was Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu you could not escape the picture of her big fat stupid face. On billboards, on the sides of stables, everywhere there was a flat surface big enough to paint on, there she was. It's all about the iconography and beating into the public psyche that "You love this person! You really really love this person! They are your leader and they are good! You love them. (Ignore the fact she is skimming thousands of rupees and keeping you in poverty)"

The BJP, and Modi in particular, are also big on this. So the point of putting Modi next to that graph is simply to say "Modi-ji is great! See this graph proves it. But remember how much you love Modi, and by association the BJP."

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Goon Danton posted:

I don't think it does. That's some standard rear end equilibrium kinetics.

If they assumed a no backsies provision, the two populations would just slowly flip instead of converge.

We have to account for the fact that the children of turkey-humans can probably flip too, so I feel like we'd almost end up with sine and cosine curves as each generation changes around.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Equilibria are a solved problem in chemistry, and it's the same principle here. eventually you'll hit a point where the turkey->human transformations are roughly equal to the human->turkey transformations, at which point the populations will be roughly equal. If the odds of changing in each direction were different, the populations would be proportional to that (ie: if 1% of humans became turkeys and 3% of turkeys became humans, you'd see an equilibrium with three times as many humans as turkeys).

Getting the oscillation thing going is possible, but super rare.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If the humans are eating turkeys, we might get one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotka%E2%80%93Volterra_equations

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If the humans are eating turkeys, we might get one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotka%E2%80%93Volterra_equations

I think I once ran across a paper where someone did a rigorous mathematical analysis of the predator-prey dynamics among vampires and humans as shown in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If I recall correctly, the town was a pretty feasible ecosystem, mathematically speaking.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

I think I once ran across a paper where someone did a rigorous mathematical analysis of the predator-prey dynamics among vampires and humans as shown in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If I recall correctly, the town was a pretty feasible ecosystem, mathematically speaking.

I remember seeing another that I think used Bram Stoker’s Dracula (or maybe it was Underworld) and concluding humanity was basically doomed unless vampires were exterminated very, very early on

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Powered Descent posted:

Vampire Ecology in the Jossverse

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

How could you post that without posting the graph.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

I remember seeing another that I think used Bram Stoker’s Dracula (or maybe it was Underworld) and concluding humanity was basically doomed unless vampires were exterminated very, very early on

This is about Dracula. Van Helsing says that anyone attacked by a vampire will become one. If you assume each vampire kills one human a month, it's about 20 months from the creation of the first vampire to everyone being a vampire.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Randomly encountered while on a Wikipedia binge of Cold War espionage stories:

Source.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://twitter.com/ICannot_Enough/status/1043867064857964545

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Safety Biscuits posted:

This is about Dracula. Van Helsing says that anyone attacked by a vampire will become one. If you assume each vampire kills one human a month, it's about 20 months from the creation of the first vampire to everyone being a vampire.

Peter Watt's Blindsight solves this by positing that vampires developed long periods of hibernation (centuries or more) in order to allow the human population to regrow to an appropriate level.

Also the "crucifix glitch" is caused by extensive cross-wiring in their visual cortex, causing an epilepsy-style feedback loop when they're exposed to strong vertical and horizontal visual stimuli.

And it's not even really about vampires! Book owns, read Blindsight goons.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jay Rust posted:

To achieve that kind of equilibrium you'd have to assume changing back is possible.

Think about it this way; let's say you have 7 billion humans and 700 turkeys. 1% of humans is 7 million while 1% of turkeys is 7. So after that you have 6.993 billion humans + 7 but 7,000,693 turkeys. 1% of that is ~6.993 million humans and ~7,000 turkeys. A 1% chance obviously wouldn't guarantee exactly 7 or 7,000 turkeys but the humans would be pretty close. Even if all 700 turkeys hit the 99% chance and none of them flip you'd have about 7,000,000 humans flipping so on day two you'd have 7,000,700 turkeys which makes it way more likely some will flip but you'd again have about 7,000,000 humans flipping. So if you have more humans than turkeys you're guaranteed to have fewer humans and more turkeys the next day. So if you have more of one than another the numbers will, over time, pressure them into approximate equality. It will never be exact but it'll be close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Peter Watt's Blindsight solves this by positing that vampires developed long periods of hibernation (centuries or more) in order to allow the human population to regrow to an appropriate level.

Also the "crucifix glitch" is caused by extensive cross-wiring in their visual cortex, causing an epilepsy-style feedback loop when they're exposed to strong vertical and horizontal visual stimuli.

And it's not even really about vampires! Book owns, read Blindsight goons.

I hate this post so much