Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Are you using F4SE to launch it ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

e; fuk double

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/34990 Combined objects Ingame Toggle, looks like it could be useful,

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I have ENB installed, but I plan to have a crack at streaming so I want to scale it back to the "ENBoost" level where it only improves performance. How do I do that?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Been a while eh? It seems sadly now mod submissions worth of interest are coming in at the rate of a trickle.

Weapons!

Combat Rifle to Carbine changes the weapon into something a little different.
Institute Sword is a good faction flavored variation of a blade.
Prototype Gauss Rifle looks like a good halfway compromise between the new and old Gauss rifle art style.
Institute Turbo Plasma Rifle another interesting faction flavored weapon.
IceTeaKiwi's Hunting Rifle Pack gives the in game hunting rifle a bit more variety with both appearance and mods.
Sjorgen Kinetic Shotgun retro turn of the last century automatic shotgun.
Pancor Jackhammer See above with a more modern twist!
The Pepperbox Handgun now we're really going old school.
Revenge of the Alien Blaster - Nuka World Nuka World needed, hello old friend.
Orbital Strike Cannon - ARCHIMEDES II style weapon for Fallout 4 why not both?
The Bundle Grenade (Geballte Ladung) ACHTUNG! EXPLOSION!
Ninja Smoke Bombs for our wasteland shinobi.
Boomquet awww isn't that sweet? explosive flower grenades!
Dubstep Guns based on the special weapon from the old good Saints Row games.

The New Vegas Weapons replacement pack replaces F4's default armoury with all the community submitted FNV weapon mods on Nexus. Need to download said weaponry in the pack separate of course.

Clothing and armour!

Tribal Power Helmet and Outfit be that bad rear end Tribal from F2's loading screens!
Soviet's Mask (GP5 Gas Mask)
Survivalist Armor
Absolutely Head Wear This mod adds 20 new headwear options that fit in nicely with the game world.
Happy Mask By Mr Mobius add's 20 improvised mask/helmet options from in world objects.
Prototype Medic Power Armor (Fallout 3 Classic)

New or modified systems!

Wasteland Wagons Adds a custom sculpted NPC companion, and two others you can summon at a settlement with wagons like the carts of skyrim so they can tow all all that junk weighing you down

drat Apocalypse A loot overhaul providing some new never-seen-before features in a fully fledged loot and economy overhaul: location-aware loot containers, dynamic hand-placed loot, more rewarding lockpicking. WARNING - makes the game much harder than vanilla survival!

Fallout 4 - Parkour World Extended Experience exhilerating obstacle courses and climb the tallest buildings with the help of handbuilt routes enbedded into the environment.
Inspirations from Mirror's Edge, Assassins Creed, Getting Over it, Hot Lava

Immersive Waiting - Wait Anywhere you can wait without needing to sit down!
Hulk Smash and Percussive Maintenance Super simple mod that gives some options for circumventing locks and terminals using Brawn over Brain.
CHEF - Cooking Hunger and Expanded Food CHEF rebalances and reorganizes the cooking recipes of Fallout 4 while adding more than 50 new foods!

GOT - Gatherers Out There Fallout 4 implies hunting and herb collecting are common practices in the Commonwealth but they mysteriously disappear among employment opportunities for settlers. The mod tries to remedy this lack adding hunter and herbalist jobs, and a renewed and powerful scavenging system as well.

And just a few misc mods that tweak NPC/items and add new houses/quests/world flavour:

The Cat's Meow -Atom Cats Radio- This mod adds a brand new lore-friendly radio station called "The Cat's Meow" which is hosted by Rowdy of the Atom Cats. It also comes with a craftable holotape which allows the user to change tracks and to raise/lower the volume of the station.

NPC Size Overhaul gives NPC models more detailed scalings due to their height/mutations.
Modern Drinks Replacer
Pipsy - Commonwealth Street Artist This mod adds in street art by the elusive artist "Pipsy" in various locations throughout the Commonwealth, and some story elements.
Player House Collection Adds 3 new lore friendly Player Houses to the commonwealth.
The Train an impressively ambitious quest mod that adds both fighting on a moving train on a quest and apparently a moving train player house too.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know if its Raider Overhaul, or Leveled Spawns, but the early game is super loving hard now! Like, red skull enemies every 100 yards just outside of Sanctuary, and all the raiders being serious hard-hitters. I feel like I need to pump more points into Toughness just to get through Lexington.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Skull leveled enemies prob not to do with either, but Raider Overhaul absolutely renders Raiders a good bit more capable.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah I should do a little review of my enemy mods...I went to the Corvega plant and it was like Immortan Joe's honor guard. That was after an alpha deathclaw got into a brawl with a bunch of skull ghouls.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yes thankyou bethesda, I finally have a fairly stable 250 mods plus a buncha merges clanking along merrily and pretty solidly, and you want me to spend irl ducats on yo' lovely cretin club, so you scupper it.
however, f4se & all the mods depending on it updated real quick, :smug:, however, if you want to use rename anything, https://ci.appveyor.com/project/reg2k/fo4-rename-anything/branch/master/artifacts thats where you will get it from. everything else is still being updated on the nexus, so yay.

Oh, if you are pumping the raiders full of 'roids, I'd recommend doing the same with the supermutants too.
and add unlevelled absolutely everything, and legendary rarity 100. so practically everything is legendary.
at lv 1.
gl/hf

staberind fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 8, 2018

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

I guess it's once again time to remind everyone to go into Steam and rightclick Fallout 4->Properties->Updates->"Only update this game when I launch it" and then only ever launch from Mod Organizer, or whatever you use.

Of course, you will eventually have to update because will be real updates and brand new mods that will be tied to the then-latest version of FO4 and if at that point any of the mods you have that should have kept working without maintenance for years have been dropped by their authors then just gently caress you I guess?

Also idk if this has been anyone else's experience, but my MO2 cocked up somehow and accidentally started the update anyway so we can't even trust the dumb luddite hack to work apparently.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Ive been using Nexus Mod Manager, but yesterday i tried MO3 to see if i could auto update a bunch of mods.. Says it can't connect to the Nexus unfortunately. How do yall update?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ha! Like that tickbox does anything.
I'm sortah making a mod, as the lunchboxes are kinda crappy, I decided to hijack their explosion and have them drop stuff you might actually want.
I have two ways of doing it; just override lunchboxes altogether or have npc's drop notes, that you use in crafting to make loot bags, that pop out levelled list stuff, or maybe a herd of cats, or a unique npc settler/companion, who knows?!
in other mod news...
I hope you like vodka. https://www.moddb.com/mods/sakhalin

The antiupdate hack i used was simply using a different folder on a different drive, & using bilago's f4 customisation tool to actually launch, as that can replace the regular launcher, runs f4se, and works fine with steam.

staberind fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 11, 2018

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

staberind posted:

Ha! Like that tickbox does anything.
I'm sortah making a mod, as the lunchboxes are kinda crappy, I decided to hijack their explosion and have them drop stuff you might actually want.
I have two ways of doing it; just override lunchboxes altogether or have npc's drop notes, that you use in crafting to make loot bags, that pop out levelled list stuff, or maybe a herd of cats, or a unique npc settler/companion, who knows?!
in other mod news...
I hope you like vodka. https://www.moddb.com/mods/sakhalin.

The antiupdate hack i used was simply using a different folder on a different drive, & using bilago's f4 customisation tool to actually launch, as that can replace the regular launcher, runs f4se, and works fine with steam.

Fixed link. You've got an extra period in the end.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

beyonder posted:

Fixed link. You've got an extra period in the end.

Cheers, fixed, do'h.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

What is the best HUD replacement mod?

I'd like to be able to see a small clock, maybe more info on current hunger/thirst status, etc. I wouldn't mind changing the HP/AP/Compass bars to something a little sleeker while I'm at it.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I personally use this little-known preset made for DEF_UI which gets rid of some empty space:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19320

There are a lot of "DEF_UI preset"s on the Nexus

edit: Better answer below, they will work together though (DEF_UI patch on the HUDFramework page that replaces a file or two)

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 14, 2018

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

khy posted:

What is the best HUD replacement mod?

I'd like to be able to see a small clock, maybe more info on current hunger/thirst status, etc. I wouldn't mind changing the HP/AP/Compass bars to something a little sleeker while I'm at it.

What you want is HUDframework. As the name implies, it's not a HUD replacer but a framework which other mods can use to add clocks, survival stats, companion stats and more, as well as offering additional functionality for mods like Sim Settlements and Gas Masks of the Wasteland

e: for some more ideas you can check under the "requirements" tab on the HUDFramework nexus page, it'll show some mods the require HUDFramework

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Terrorforge posted:

What you want is HUDframework. As the name implies, it's not a HUD replacer but a framework which other mods can use to add clocks, survival stats, companion stats and more, as well as offering additional functionality for mods like Sim Settlements and Gas Masks of the Wasteland

e: for some more ideas you can check under the "requirements" tab on the HUDFramework nexus page, it'll show some mods the require HUDFramework

Took a bit of work to get going right but it's working great now, thanks.

Now I gotta figure out what settlement mods I want. There's an absolute GLUT of them and trying to decide what I do or don't want is going to be a nightmare. Plus a ton of them haven't been updated in eons.

I'm currently using Scrap Everything alongside CREAtive Clutter and 'This is MY Bed' but trying to decide which of the other two trillion settlement mods that add decorations and poo poo is difficult. Still feel like there's a lot of crap missing but I'm not sure where to start. All the mods out there advertise '1000 additional objects!' and like 300 of them are just posters or flags or other wall decorations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More than anything I wish there were mods which added a large selection of decent lighting.

Because nobody ever makes lights with like, proper lighting setups, simulating directionality and fill with different light sources.

Nobody with an artistic understanding of lighting makes lighting mods, basically, they don't seem to realise that a single omni light or a pure spot produces really weird effects.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

khy posted:

Took a bit of work to get going right but it's working great now, thanks.

Now I gotta figure out what settlement mods I want. There's an absolute GLUT of them and trying to decide what I do or don't want is going to be a nightmare. Plus a ton of them haven't been updated in eons.

I'm currently using Scrap Everything alongside CREAtive Clutter and 'This is MY Bed' but trying to decide which of the other two trillion settlement mods that add decorations and poo poo is difficult. Still feel like there's a lot of crap missing but I'm not sure where to start. All the mods out there advertise '1000 additional objects!' and like 300 of them are just posters or flags or other wall decorations.

Just get Sim Settlements.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

dragonshardz posted:

Seconding.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

dragonshardz posted:

Get Sim Settlements and their new extended workshop if you're okay with f4se. Then you have a clone tool for any piece of decor.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm too much of a control freak, it's horrible. I can't hand off building poo poo to my settlers because they might do it WRONG.

Send help.

Also, i've been using Scrap Everything alongside the 'Building Placement Fix' it has in its optional files to build my settlements. But the Building Placement Fix doesn't seem to work - objects clip through the floor of the starlight drive-in sign and the building behind it and can't be placed. They seem to snap to the ground under the floor.

I'd considered trying Spring Cleaning but it mentions also having problems with buildings and it recommend Homemaker to fix that up, plus apparently it doesn't scrap nearly as much as Scrap Everything does. And Homemaker proudly claims to have an extra 1000 items to build, yet my settlement menu already has such an incredible surfeit of items from my other mods that adding another 1000 seems more of a chore than a bonus.

Is there a good one-size-fits-all 'clean up' or 'scrap all' mod that doesn't break buildings?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

khy posted:

I'm too much of a control freak, it's horrible. I can't hand off building poo poo to my settlers because they might do it WRONG.

Send help.

Unless you are some kind of building genius, I am almost certain that the Sim Settlement... settlements... will turn out looking way better than anything you will come up with. So, in a way, YOU'RE the one doing it wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also, like, SS stuff is basically a set of prefab buildings, you still build the actual settlement if you want to. The whole prefab settlements is an optional part.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anybody have experience with this mod? It's supposed to fix Bethesda's lovely workshop code and speed up switching modes.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/35382

quote:

Whenever you start Workshop mode, the game evaluates the conditions on every single constructible object in the game to find out if they belong in the workshop - this includes even non-workshop items like weapon mods and chems. And it does that not just once (!), but repeats this loop for each and every workshop submenu you have!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Also, like, SS stuff is basically a set of prefab buildings, you still build the actual settlement if you want to. The whole prefab settlements is an optional part.
Yeah, it's not just an optional part - but it's an entire expansion of content optional.

The only reason to not use SS, might be that you really are so much of a control freak that you A) want to personally decorate EVERYTHING (which is fine) B) so much of a control freak, that you can't stand the thought of your build being SUB-OPTIMAL in a meta/power gamer mindset (which is also fine).

It isn't even all or nothing - want to build XZY settlements yourself, but don't really care about ABC? Use Rise of the Commonwealth, but only defer to blueprints on the settlements you aren't personally interested in.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Only gripe with SimSettlements Rise of the Commonwealth is that some of the max-level settlements will seriously tank your FPS, especially if you're already using visual mods.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

khy posted:

I've been rolling with SS for a while, and yeah, the settlers definitely will do some stuff wrong. I get weird glitchy poo poo like people not having enough beds or two buildings occupying the same space from time to time (usually running the "Refresh plots" tool in the city manager fixes those things, but not always?), and the included city plans absolutely require some kind of supply line network because some places overproduce food and others underproduce it.

BUT: it turns walking into a new settlement into a few minutes of "Okay, build a city planner desk, find a mayor, hook up a supply line, get back to the game" instead of an excruciating and seemingly never-ending trip into lovely workshop interface hell, and the cities they eventually build genuinely look good and work just fine, even if I end up having to actually visit some of them in person from time to time to try refreshing the plots to fix problems. Even if you don't use the plans or a mayor, just being able to slap down some foundations or a simple building and place the "Build residential areas HERE, you idiots" beacons would be worth it, I'd say.

I'd say if your control-freakiness is manageable to the point where you'd be happy just deciding what you want built and where it should be built without having to place every wall and bed and clutter object individually, then you should definitely give SS a try. It'll save you a ridiculous amount of time and frustration. And like Kiggles says, you can decide on a case-by-case basis which settlements you care enough about to micromanage personally, and which ones you 100% do not give a poo poo about and are fine with assigning a city plan and mayor to.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Another question that occurred to me. I never use automatic weapons due to their lack of damage and their ammo consumption. I'm thinking of doing a new run with full-on scrounger perk, but the lack of damage really feels dumb. Anyone know which mods are recommended to balance out auto vs semi-auto to make automatic weapons more useful?

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Equilibrium weapons is always my go to recommendation for weapon balance.
It doesn't fix all your automatic weapon problems, but serial offenders like the minigun and smg get a leg-up.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27046

The real answer to making automatic weapons relevant are mods that make it harder to snipe from stealth undetected and mods that make enemies less bullet spongey.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
On Automatic weapons, I gave this a whirl. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10008

it fits pretty well for making automatic weapons fit OK in late game through stacking damage multipliers. This way, you can drop points into Rifleman, or Gunslinger, until you have developed a bit of a stockpile of resources and perks. Once ammunition is less a concern, and you're wondering where else to drop points you can pick up the automatic weapons damage perk and start offsetting the automatic receiver penalties, bringing them toward parity.

This generally means your automatic and single shot weapons will be roughly comparable in the long run, but instead you have to 'grow in' to automatic weapons.

It feels especially good for Survival, where ammo weight keeps powerful single shot weapons viable for most things an conserve on ammo, but keeping a high DPS automatic around for burning down high health targets with maximum DPS.

It still doesn't really make 'sense', and I personally use it alongside Gunsmith Extended https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14847 . but if you like to keep mostly 'vanilla', and things compatible, Gunplay is pretty good. Just mind any other perk mods.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I use unbogus health scaling to stop bullet sponges. It makes automatics much more viable.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

I guess this is where I come in with the mandatory Horizon plug. It's a total mechanical overhaul so if you only want to fix automatics it's not for you, but if you're looking to rebalance the whole game into a fair but challenging survival experience including fixing a lot of niggling issues like bullet sponge enemies, automatics sucking, settlements being useless etc., I heartily recommend it.

Provided you aren't scared of wading through some obtuse documentation to figure out how things work, anyway.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

On Horizon I've been trying to find a way to manipulate the needs to be what I want. I like hunger but find dealing with water and sleep really boring, I tried the survival options mod and the patch for it to work with horizon but nothing is letting me stop fatigue from thirst and tiredness. But I don't want to turn off survival because I like everything else it brings.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Terrorforge posted:

I guess this is where I come in with the mandatory Horizon plug. It's a total mechanical overhaul so if you only want to fix automatics it's not for you, but if you're looking to rebalance the whole game into a fair but challenging survival experience including fixing a lot of niggling issues like bullet sponge enemies, automatics sucking, settlements being useless etc., I heartily recommend it.

Provided you aren't scared of wading through some obtuse documentation to figure out how things work, anyway.

Automatics arguably suck worse in Horizon since every bullet is individually more important since they are way rarer/more expensive. The absolute best idea in Horizon is to stack damage over everything and never ever use Automatics or you're pissing vital caps away for no reason.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Zore posted:

Automatics arguably suck worse in Horizon since every bullet is individually more important since they are way rarer/more expensive. The absolute best idea in Horizon is to stack damage over everything and never ever use Automatics or you're pissing vital caps away for no reason.

But also they deal the same amount of damage, so at least they're not a strict waste of resources.

You're right, though. They're hardly resource-optimal (unless you rely heavily on VATS), but you can set up the infrastructure to support them, and rather than resources I prefer to optimize for not having to crawl around in the dirt for 50 hours.

Plus Horizon has fire mode selection, so it's perfectly possible to semi-auto snipe dudes until poo poo hits the fan and switch over to full auto when not getting eaten to ghouls becomes a higher priority than saving ammo.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The fire mode selection is super awkward though because it has to basically be hacked in my using an item that brings up a menu. It's not quite as nice as the old Fallout 3/NV mod where it just assigned a hotkey that would let you flip between firing modes (maybe this has changed - the last time I played Horizon was before the big skills update so I don't know about any new features).

Honestly I think the Horizon approach is kind of the only way to balance automatics while also making them realistic (i.e. not arbitrarily doing less damage per shot). If you keep ammo supply the same as in vanilla but boost damage output to be equal to single shot, then automatics will just dominate single shot in any situation because long range accuracy is honestly not a thing you need in Fallout 4 anyway. Making it so that ammo is actually a relatively valuable resource means that with an automatic you CAN unleash a massive amount of pain in a short amount of time, but makes it easier to miss shots by accident so you essentially trade resources for DPS.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I don't really feel like digging through mods I have installed to complain about one, but I hate whoever renamed 1/3 to 1/2 of Refrigerators to "Refridgerator"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

khy posted:

Another question that occurred to me. I never use automatic weapons due to their lack of damage and their ammo consumption. I'm thinking of doing a new run with full-on scrounger perk, but the lack of damage really feels dumb. Anyone know which mods are recommended to balance out auto vs semi-auto to make automatic weapons more useful?

I've been using WBO for some time now: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2463

Combine that with Better Commando (possibly redundant): https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3366
and Legendary Modification: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4042
and .556 Ammo Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25796

.. and you're turning up the difficulty level due to mowing down deathclaws at 100 yards with half a magazine.