Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Comrade Fakename posted:

Wow, Killing Eve is really, really good.

Agreed. Only one and a half episodes in and it’s already got me hooked. Just finished Fleabag recently so am now officially in love with Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I avoided Fleabag because based on what I heard about it I decided I didn’t want to watch a programme about someone about my age whose problem involved just having too much darn sex. But based on Killing Eve I might have to re-evaluate that choice.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Fleabag and Killing Eve are both great, Waller-Bridge is a real talent. I found out the other day that there will be a second series of Fleabag, which I didn't expect but is cool

Weirdly the other show she wrote and starred in (Crashing) is pretty bad though

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Paperhouse posted:

Weirdly the other show she wrote and starred in (Crashing) is pretty bad though

Thought you were talking about Pete Holmes' show for a second there and was about to hard disagree

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I thought Killing Eve was fantastic, right up until the last couple of episodes where I thought they lost their focus a bit. Maybe I just binged it too much though.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'd dismissed Bodyguard after episode two, but went back to it after hearing the spoiler for episode three, and have to say it's gotten a lot better since the focus changed.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm in the twilight zone of liking Radio One's Friday night dance output so much, but also being about a decade older than their target demographic, while I can remember most of Radio 2's current line-up from when they were on Radio One in the 80s and 90s

6music all day every day.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Aw, Denis Norden died. :smith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well that is sad, but oddly me and my parents though he had passed years ago.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Confirmed:

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1042302755610734592

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Rondette posted:

6music all day every day.

Funnily enough, I'm in a hire car with a digital radio and this is a good and correct opinion and I'd never listened to 6music that much before now

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Funnily enough, I'm in a hire car with a digital radio and this is a good and correct opinion and I'd never listened to 6music that much before now

Comedy option, listen to LBC for gammon opinions.

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005
Does anybody else who watches Eggheads also call Barry 'PaedoBarry'?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Comrade Fakename posted:

I avoided Fleabag because based on what I heard about it I decided I didn’t want to watch a programme about someone about my age whose problem involved just having too much darn sex. But based on Killing Eve I might have to re-evaluate that choice.

It’s not really like sexy sex. Most of it is realistically awkward and unglamorous. Writing an assassin character seems like a natural evolution for her, since Fleabag has the same psychopathic tendencies.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SEX BURRITO posted:

It’s not really like sexy sex. Most of it is realistically awkward and unglamorous. Writing an assassin character seems like a natural evolution for her, since Fleabag has the same psychopathic tendencies.

Not sexy sex, but I find Ms. Waller-Bridge to be quite striking.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Wait until you see Villanelle.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Another excellent episode of Taskmaster. The interplay between the contestants and The Taskmaster is just so far ahead of the last series.

https://twitter.com/davechannel/status/1042488591258214400

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 20, 2018

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Oo ee
Oo ah ah
Ting tang
Phoebe Waller-Bridge-ah

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Oo ee
Oo ah ah
Ting tang
Phoebe Waller-Bridge-ah

Oo ee
Oo ah ah
Ting tang
Walla walla Phil Wang

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Best two post combo in the history of the British tv thread

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching Touching Evil and I have a question: what is Robson Green's accent? :confused:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm watching Touching Evil and I have a question: what is Robson Green's accent? :confused:

'Ee just wanz to meet Rafa Benetez like!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Wheat Loaf posted:

This isn't an Aiden Gillen in Game Of Thrones situation where his accent can change multiple times during the same speech is it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This isn't an Aiden Gillen in Game Of Thrones situation where his accent can change multiple times during the same speech is it?

Well, I've watched five episodes so far and he's had a go at generic RP, generic Scottish, generic Welsh and generic northern with a trace of generic Irish. I remember watching Wire In the Blood when it was on and I don't recall him going back and forth like he seems to be here.

On the whole, I don't dislike this series, but coming off ploughing through Cracker and Prime Suspect in succession immediately before it makes for a big step down. Paul Abbott as a writer but he's not developed the characters especially well and none of them has the sort of intrinsic distinctiveness they need to let him get away with it.

Obviously Robbie Coltrane and Helen Mirren are actors who can really command the screen whenever they're on it. Clearly Robson Green is supposed to do so and based on Wire In the Blood I think he's capable of doing it but I don't think he's given the material for it here. Abbott's good, but he's not Jimmy McGovern or Lynda LaPlante either.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This series of Taskmaster is shaping up to be my favourite. The cast clicks together so well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I went to see League of Gentlemen live in Blackpool and it was really good. Some new stuff, some old. All great.
Apart from them doubling down on their transphobia, that was really sad and sort of distressing. I feel like people will watch that stuff back in 30 years (if there are any people then) and cringe like you do now if you watch Bernard Manning or whatever.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Bodyguard

So Julia was dead after all.

Enjoyed the suicide vest tension and it was filmed well, but there are less fancy ways to kill someone and frame them.

Nadia twist was utter bollocks.

Based on the monologuing and overly elaborate schemes Doctor Evil was clearly the criminal mastermind behind it all.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I enjoyed Bodyguard. Still think Julia is alive.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mighty Steed posted:

Bodyguard

A lot of the final twists and reveals felt a bit out of nowhere.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Someone back when GoT started said that an easy way out of that would be for the character to modulate his accent depending on who he's talking to and I was always annoyed that they never did it. It would make perfect sense for that character.

Also witness him in THE WIRE where he talks about being Baltimore born and bred but sounds like he belongs in Bada Bing!

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
The new Apprentice candidates have been revealed

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Mighty Steed posted:

Bodyguard

So Julia was dead after all.

Enjoyed the suicide vest tension and it was filmed well, but there are less fancy ways to kill someone and frame them.

Based on the monologuing and overly elaborate schemes Doctor Evil was clearly the criminal mastermind behind it all.

Ya, if she was so bloody clever, why did she come clean and reveal her entire plan with virtually no provocation whatsoever. If she'd kept shtum she'd probably get out of jail and build more bombs, but now she's got no chance.

Silly, but fun, ultimately.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Looking good so far. Some very obvious charletans in that selection so this series should be a laugh.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gaius Baltar?!?!?

(Closest we've had in years, don't hate me)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That guy looks like a minor Saints Row villain.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember one of the newspapers had a big spread on the new Apprentice contestants years and years ago - it was the year they had the guy who always wore a silk dressing gown and slippers in the Apprentice house and I remember that because he was going all "I'm a terrific raconteur, peasants" and his big "I'm so awesome" boast was "Once asked Michael Heseltine a question when he was on Question Time... and wasn't satisfied with the answer. :smug::smug::smug:"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

You have to admire their commitment to diversity by allowing people from all backgrounds to come together to be absolute cocks

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
The first episode should just be Sugar apologising for not choosing Michaela as the rightful winner last year.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

How do they manage to consistently find the same group of horrifyingly deluded, narcissistic, psychopaths every year. You'd think a few normos would slip in now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You assume they seek normal people out instead of entertaining train wrecks.