Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

On the one hand a lot of squibs and blood are going to make it at least entertaining trash like the latter half of that WWII movie where the guy did not want to kill anyone
On the other hand mexican stereotypes oh boy

and surely Mel Gibson's life and career have been just so absolutely ruined you guys it is so hard to be a man in hollywood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The argument here is extremely confused. You're saying that the plan hasn't fallen apart because they succeeded in one objective, even when allies are shooting at each other, an operative goes rogue, and they lose the person they're transporting.

Yes, because they've succeeded in the objective, I conclude that they've succeeded. Because that's how words work.

I'm kind of tired of this deconstructive approach of yours. Tell us what you think the film (that you've definitely seen) is saying.

I can see you've never met a tankie.

I have. They don't think the solution to the drug war is 'maybe just shoot more people'

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It sounds way too subtle to be effective satire.

I feel like this is definitely a fair criticism of Sicario 2; the film isn't fully satirical so much as it's trying to please everyone. It depicts the right wing poo poo to please the chuds, and then sneaks in criticism of it so that leftists will also presumably be pleased (ideally without the chuds noticing).

It all feels very cynical, honestly.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

porfiria posted:

Right, this is why the Barthes piece is ultimately incoherent, although he steams a good ham here and there.

dang...u got em!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

Yes, because they've succeeded in the objective, I conclude that they've succeeded. Because that's how words work.

I'm kind of tired of this deconstructive approach of yours. Tell us what you think the film (that you've definitely seen) is saying.

Well yes, that's your problem. You trust words over anything else, with one line of dialogue trumping the rest of the film.

Sicario 2 reflects the war in terror in miniature. Terrorist attacks inspire extralegal military operations, which are undermined by doubtful allies and an alien local populace. The roadside shootouts and ambushes involving with their car convoys even pointedly looks like they might be happening in Iraq. Objectives change, sides shift, the centre cannot hold. With that loss of unity, everyone turns out to be responsible for themselves, continuing the murky conflict without future or resolution.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like this is definitely a fair criticism of Sicario 2; the film isn't fully satirical so much as it's trying to please everyone. It depicts the right wing poo poo to please the chuds, and then sneaks in criticism of it so that leftists will also presumably be pleased (ideally without the chuds noticing).

You need to avoid the folly of treating the film as an author-figure. The film is just a series of sounds and images. It's the interpretation of those sounds and images that is cynical.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Well yes, that's your problem. You trust words over anything else, with one line of dialogue trumping the rest of the film.
I just described the events of the film, you chucklefuck, not dialogue. The only thing in the film that presents any criticism of the events is the dialogue.

I know arguing in bad faith is kind of your deal, though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

I just described the events of the film, you chucklefuck, not dialogue. The only thing in the film that presents any criticism of the events is the dialogue.

I know arguing in bad faith is kind of your deal, though.

*Mexican policeman desperately cradles dead colleague*

"There is no criticism of the heroes anywhere in the movie"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

*Mexican policeman desperately cradles dead colleague*

"There is no criticism of the heroes anywhere in the movie"

You mean the guys who betrayed them who are instantly gunned down? The guys who's betrayal directly result in the mission being cancelled?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

You mean the guys who betrayed them who are instantly gunned down? The guys who's betrayal directly result in the mission being cancelled?

Here you're caught in circular logic. The movie is dangerously right-wing because it features Mexican police turning on American black operatives and being killed. Morally speaking, this situation is at best extremely murky for the Americans, but since the movie is established as being a right-wing fantasy, it's actually heroic Americans shooting evil Mexicans. How do we know that the movie is a right-wing fantasy? Well, because it features Mexican police turning on American black operatives...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Here you're caught in circular logic. The movie is dangerously right-wing because it features Mexican police turning on American black operatives and being killed. Morally speaking, this situation is at best extremely murky for the Americans, but since the movie is established as being a right-wing fantasy, it's actually heroic Americans shooting evil Mexicans. How do we know that the movie is a right-wing fantasy? Well, because it features Mexican police turning on American black operatives...

I didn't say the first part at all. You brought up that scene as proof that their plan isn't working, a tack you've since abandoned. Since we are discussing its imagery, though...You're arguing that the film is critical of their actions because of the imagery of a mexican policeman/soldier cradling his shot comrade. The specific image, though, is a faceless man cradling an also faceless comrade who was killed in a shootout that they started. They then start another shootout, having regained the element of surprise thanks to the Americans briefly being sympathetic, which they also lose. Brolin cradles his also shot comrade, though neither are faceless and they get a closeup.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

I didn't say the first part at all. You brought up that scene as proof that their plan isn't working, a tack you've since abandoned.

The specific image, though, is a faceless man cradling an also faceless comrade who was killed in a shootout that they started. They then start another shootout, having regained the element of surprise thanks to the Americans briefly being sympathetic, which they also lose. Brolin cradles his also shot comrade, though neither are faceless and they get a closeup.

If they antagonize the Mexican goverment, their plan very much isn't working.

Here you're stuck on the idea of the Mexican policemen being "faceless" and not being in close-up, which shows that... they're evil?

What's actually happening is that the scene is presented from the perspective of the Americans, who see them as enemies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

If they antagonize the Mexican goverment, their plan very much isn't working.

Again, the plan was to get the girl across the border. They do this. Five minutes later, someone working for some cartel tries to violently aprehend her. The bait has been taken and the fake kidnapping is turning into a real one.

Brolin has also clearly accounted for this. He's annoyed that it happened but is not under the impression that the plan has failed.

Here you're stuck on the idea of the Mexican policemen being "faceless" and not being in close-up, which shows that... they're evil?

You want to talk about imagery? Being faceless and filmed from a distance is dehumanising imagery. Are you new to film?

What's actually happening is that the scene is presented from the perspective of the Americans, who see them as enemies.

Yes. You're so close to getting it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

Again, the plan was to get the girl across the border. They do this. Five minutes later, someone working for some cartel tries to violently aprehend her. The bait has been taken and the fake kidnapping is turning into a real one.

1) You seem to have confused the order of events. The man passing by tries to grab Isabel Reyes after the shootout with the Mexican police has already compromised the plan.

Snowman_McK posted:

You want to talk about imagery? Being faceless and filmed from a distance is dehumanising imagery. Are you new to film?

Yes. You're so close to getting it.

2) The movie presents various viewpoints. Featuring an American viewpoint among others does not make the movie rightist.

3) That does not make the scene any less critical. It shows the situation as callous even when the Americans were acting in self-defence.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You know what is a weird outcome of Sicario 2? Josh Brolin apparently follows Isabella Moner on Instagram now.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

1) You seem to have confused the order of events. The man passing by tries to grab Isabel Reyes after the shootout with the Mexican police has already compromised the plan.
That's the order of events my reading is predicated on. If the bait hasn't been taken, who is that guy and what is he doing? Is one of Reyes' men brutalising his boss' daughter to get her back?

3) That does not make the scene any less critical. It shows the situation as callous even when the Americans were acting in self-defence.

It does, though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

That's the order of events my reading is predicated on. If the bait hasn't been taken, who is that guy and what is he doing? Is one of Reyes' men brutalising his boss' daughter to get her back?

It does, though.

You seem to be confused. Even if "the bait has been taken," the plan is falling apart.

The movie portrays the shootout in critical light. After the initial surprise, the Mexican police and the cartel members are outshot and then outnumbered. When one of them ends up shooting one of the Americans, non-fatally, they're all killed. It's callous and summary. There's no fantasy of heroism in it.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 25, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
stop replying to botl

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
No this is the two-person Sicario 2 thread now

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ALFbrot posted:

No this is the two-person Sicario 2 thread now

Super Sicario Bros.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfMsZrrQ5Vo

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Gorn Myson posted:

I wish people stopped making movies based on Nick Hornby's works, hes loving shite.

I don't know, his inability to write endings would seem to gel pretty well with television.

Snowman_McK posted:

I have. They don't think the solution to the drug war is 'maybe just shoot more people'

They do, they just think the wrong people are being shot.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Big reveal here is the snake from the books is actually a lady who turned into a snake which means Rowlings is cool with bestiality in films but can't acknowledge that Dumbledore is gay in the film

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The snake Harry murks in Chamber of commerce?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Al Borland Korn posted:

The snake Harry murks in Chamber of commerce?

That or the giant snake that was a familiar to Voldermort.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He hosed the snake?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

That or the giant snake that was a familiar to Voldermort.

The latter.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Big reveal here is the snake from the books is actually a lady who turned into a snake which means Rowlings is cool with bestiality in films but can't acknowledge that Dumbledore is gay in the film

Dunno, the clips of Dumbledore looking at Grindelwald on that magic mirror that shows your deepest desire wasn't exactly subtle.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 25, 2018

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
All that wand-holding is just foreplay

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I made the joke to my roommate that I couldn't wait to watch Step Up 2: So You Think You Can Sicario? and sure enough the loving movie basically ends with almost the same line.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who would have been a good choice to play Grindelwald who (as far as we know) hasn't smacked their wife around?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
holy poo poo i can't believe the biggest asian role in harry potter film history is a loyal, willing slave who gets turned into a snake (whose milk creepy baby voldemort drinks from later).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

apparently she's under some weird snake blood curse thing that has never been mentioned before

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

holy poo poo i can't believe the biggest asian role in harry potter film history is a loyal, willing slave who gets turned into a snake (whose milk creepy baby voldemort drinks from later).

Man the movies got weird with cho chang

Barudak
May 7, 2007

At least she doesnt turn into a dragon.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Did they just saw what happened in Shadow of War with the spider and went "hold my beer".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who would have been a good choice to play Grindelwald who (as far as we know) hasn't smacked their wife around?

Elijah Wood

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why didn't they just stick with Colin Farrell?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

An unknown theatre actor. If I were trying to establish a new iconic villain, I'd try to go the Alan Rickman route and find somebody with talent who hasn't done any films yet.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What films have flopped where they cast nothing but established (and often aging) stars but made no effort to introduce anyone new? Or at least hesitated to give any weight to upcoming actors?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 25, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What films have flopped where they cast nothing but established (and often aging) stars but made no effort to introduce anyone new? Or at least hesitated to give any weight to upcoming actors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is Russell Crowe holding an invisible cane?