Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Quoting these for the new page

Phanatic posted:

I love the Latvian jokes. I have no idea why Latvia was chosen as the butt of them, but they're great. And dumb.

Are you going to post any of the good ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
After the Six Day War, Leonid Brezhnev asked Nasser, “How could you possibly lose the war so quickly? Didn’t you listen to your Soviet advisors?”

Nasser said, “We did exactly what your advisors told us to do: retreat and wait for the winter!”

-------------

On July 21, 1969, Brezhnev called his leading cosmonauts into his office. He said, “The Americans have landed on the moon. We will do better: you are going to fly on a mission to land on the sun.”

The cosmonauts said, “But Comrade, we will burn!”

Brezhnev said, “Don’t be ridiculous! You will fly at night!”

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
That Jewish dudes mother is loving insane, god drat.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

That Jewish dudes mother is loving insane, god drat.

Like two inches from Jerusalem, man. He was right loving there.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

That's all awesome, what's the book I desperately want to read it.

Major Major Major
Apr 23, 2014

When the guy in the story "Fourteen and a Half" says he lost his "fork", which body part does that correspond to? Just curious.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Major Major Major posted:

When the guy in the story "Fourteen and a Half" says he lost his "fork", which body part does that correspond to? Just curious.

You know what it is.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

echopapa posted:

After the Six Day War, Leonid Brezhnev asked Nasser, “How could you possibly lose the war so quickly? Didn’t you listen to your Soviet advisors?”

Nasser said, “We did exactly what your advisors told us to do: retreat and wait for the winter!”

-------------

On July 21, 1969, Brezhnev called his leading cosmonauts into his office. He said, “The Americans have landed on the moon. We will do better: you are going to fly on a mission to land on the sun.”

The cosmonauts said, “But Comrade, we will burn!”

Brezhnev said, “Don’t be ridiculous! You will fly at night!”

Coincidentally I just heard an interesting ancedote about Egypt and Russian advisors.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rimon_20

quote:

The Egyptians themselves reacted with ill-concealed delight at the outcome of the engagement. They had previously suffered intense criticism of their own performance and boasts of superior Soviet skills, when in fact the Soviets had fallen for tactics the Egyptians were already familiar with.

It got so bad that the Egyptians were laughing at the advisors and the pilot’s death, and Nasser had to give them orders to stop

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
knock knock
who's there
please let in, is cold and children froze to death

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I kind of want to make one with the "my children like to hear about the time their father was exposed to atomic radiation" and have it just kind of scrolling through the faces.

or focus on the horribly mutated dwarf-child at their feet.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Chopstix posted:

Coincidentally I just heard an interesting ancedote about Egypt and Russian advisors.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rimon_20

It got so bad that the Egyptians were laughing at the advisors and the pilot’s death, and Nasser had to give them orders to stop

the PVO:
https://twitter.com/mikefossey/status/479779134366056448

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
My family is Latvian and yeah apparently it's pretty much like that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hazzard posted:

I've heard similar things in the US Civil War. But the impression I got was the soldier is under so much stress that they're only thinking about loading and aren't even thinking to fire.

Speaking of, does anyone know anything about Firing Drills in the Civil War? I've never heard anything specific, but guessed they were basically non-existent and were more or less free fire like Revolutionary France attempted for a while.

Why would you assume this? Here's a manual for Texas, for instance -

https://archive.org/details/manualofinstructtxgilh

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hexyflexy posted:

That's all awesome, what's the book I desperately want to read it.

It's called Six War Years by David Broadfoot. I found a copy in a trunk of a dead relative; it still smells faintly of mothballs. It is a collection of Canadian stories about World War 2, and after reading a few I thought "wow, I should scan a few of these for the milhist thread", knowing how much we all like diaries/personal accounts. Now the plan is to scan and post a chapter every few days.

e: just trying to find out what a 'zombie' is in this context and:

quote:

A sign of King's true feeling about the war came in April 1943, when the mass grave of the Polish officers massacred by the NKVD in Katyn Wood was discovered, which lead King to write in his diary that it was the Poles who caused the outbreak of the war in 1939 by refusing to give in to Hitler's demand that the Free City of Danzig be allowed to rejoin Germany, and as such it was the Poles' own fault for the Katyn Wood massacre and everything else they had suffered since 1939.[7] The British historian Victor Rothwell wrote that King's "spiteful" remarks about the Poles causing the war reflected his own resentment at having to declare war on Germany because of public pressure despite his own inclinations towards neutrality.

e2: Zombies

quote:

In June 1940, the government adopted conscription for home service in The National Resources Mobilization Act, 1940 (NRMA), which allowed the government to register men and women and move them into jobs considered necessary for wartime production, and allowed for conscription for the defence of Canada, but did not allow conscripts to be deployed for overseas service.[16] The French-Canadian nationalist mayor of Montreal Camillien Houde in a speech urged all French-Canadian men not to register under the NRMA, which led the Dominion government to use the suspension of habeas corpus under the War Measures Act to send the RCMP in to arrest Houde, who was held without charge until 1944.[17] From 1940 onward, the Defense Minister James Ralston and the Navy minister Angus MacDonald were seen as the advocates of the armored forces in the cabinet, favoring winning the war even at the price of domestic disunity vs. King who argued that domestic unity could not be fractured as the price for victory.[18]

The NRMA men who refused to "go active" were derisively called "zombies" both in Canada and overseas. The "Zombies" were so-called because they were soldiers who could not fight in the war, making them like the reanimated corpses from Haitian mythology who were neither alive nor dead, but rather somewhere in-between. The "Zombies" were widely hated by the men who had volunteered for overseas service and were referred to as cowards.[19] The Canadian military was divided into classes: the A men who volunteered to go overseas and the R men who were the Zombies.[20] At training camps, officers and NCOs constantly belittled, insulted and humiliated the Zombies to pressure them to "go active", making for a tense relationship at the best of times.

e3: so much spiciness in one wiki article

quote:

Acceptance of French-speaking units was greater in Canada from the start of the Second World War in comparison to the first. While the creation of the 22nd Infantry Battalion (French-Canadian) required large rallies of French-Canadians in 1914 accompanied by political pressure to overcome Minister Sam Hughes' abhorrence of the idea, this greater acceptance of French-Canadian units as well as informal use of their language diminished the ferocity of Quebec's resistance to the war effort.[citation needed] Opposition to conscription was not limited to Quebec. In British Columbia, where the fear of the "Yellow Peril" was a major issue, many were opposed to conscription as conscripting Chinese-Canadians and Japanese-Canadians would lead to the demand for Asian-Canadians to be given the right to vote, which the white population of British Columbia were adamantly opposed to.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 25, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People are real upset that historically, women existed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Who knew a studio called Creative Assembly would do things that make games interesting right?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

Huh, cool. I didn't play that much Rome II; I never noticed if any of the generals were women.

I wonder if this is also the case in Attila? I liked that one better than Rome II, I may have to try it again and see who ends up leading my armies.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

zoux posted:

What are some good examples of female roman generals? Never heard of this before, it sounds cool as hell

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The thing says Rome doesn't have female generals.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i do not understand what the issue is there

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry for putting this in your brain

quote:

Creative Assembly's historical strategy game Total War: Rome 2 came out in September 2013, and in the five years since it's notched more than 21,000 user reviews on Steam adding up to a "mostly positive" overall rating. Yet over the past couple of days, more than 660 reviews have rated it "overwhelmingly negative." What could have so suddenly and dramatically reversed the fortunes of a five-year-old strategy game that's still in the thick of the Steam Top 100?

It's a review bombing, of course, and the reason (equally of course) is women, specifically a claim that the recent free Ancestral update dramatically increased the likelihood of generals in the game being female. It's not clear what specifically started the uproar: Questions about female generals date back to March but it didn't seem to really gain traction until mid-August, with a screen courtesy of a Steam user named Erick showing five out of eight "Available Generals" as women, followed by predictable complaints about "historical accuracy." Around the same time, a Patriarchy Mod that purports to reduce the percentage chance of female politicians and general appearing in the game turned up on the Steam Workshop.

Eventually, a Creative Assembly developer declared the original thread on the topic "a mess" and locked it. "As has been said previously: Total War games are historically authentic, not historically accurate," they wrote. "If having female units upsets you that much you can either mod them out or just not play."

That seemingly inspired a drawn-out user review from a Steam user named Chaos Puppy (with a link to Erick's screen), who claimed, among other things, that Total War: Rome 2 is "historically inaccurate, like over 50% of your generals [are] women." He also claimed to be upset that the developer response was to tell people not to buy the game if they don't like it, which isn't actually what was said at all, but never mind that—the story began to make the rounds, outrage mounted, and the review bombs began to drop.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

bewbies posted:

i do not understand what the issue is there

"Icky girls getting all over my clubhouse."

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
These are the same people who review-bombed Battletech down to "Mixed reviews" at launch because in a game set in the year 3025, in which you command fusion powered giant robots to punch each other, there's an option in the pilot customisation screen to choose "pronoun" instead of "gender", and it includes "they" in addition to "he" and "she"

This is an option which allegedly exists purely to make minor event flavour text correctly refer to custom pilots but these geniuses correctly recognised it for the cultural Marxist postmodern SJW conspiracy it truly was.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Take video game chat to some other place. Nothing good comes from it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Worth it to annoy CHUDs

:facepalm:

quote:

In an "off-the-record" interview with two journalists from The Winnipeg Free Press in February 1942, King stated that the purpose of the Canadian expeditionary force then training in the United Kingdom was only to defend Britain in the event of a German invasion, and he would not sending the five divisions of the expeditionary force to the Middle East as the British were requesting.[30] King told Grant Dexter of The Winnipeg Free Press on 28 February 1942 stated the purpose of the Canadian Army in Britain was "to defend the heart of the Empire", and criticized Ralston for saying in the House of Commons that he wanted "to build up a strong striking force in Britain because we would ultimately use Britain as the springboard for our thrust on the continent".[30] King told Dexter "the trouble was with Ralston and the general staff. Ralston stood up for the generals, fought the cabinet on their behalf".[30] King expressed the view that Ralson was too much under the influence of the generals and that "Generals are almost invariably wrong".[30] In the same interview, King stated his belief that Japanese would invade British Columbia "just as soon as the Japs could muster the men and material".[31]

The successes of the Japanese in the Asia-Pacific theatre led to widespread fears in early 1942 that soon the Japanese would be landing in British Columbia.[22] The Japanese planned to annex British Columbia once the war was won, but in the spring of 1942 the Japanese were largely preoccupied with plans for the invasion of Australia and Hawaii, and the continuing war with China.[32] Responding to a racist hysteria that Japanese-Canadians were a "fifth column" loyal to Japan who would soon be waging a campaign of terrorism against whites, the King government interned all Japanese-Canadians; the RCMP had in fact reported to the government that most Japanese-Canadians were loyal to Canada, and there was no need for internment.[22] The same fears of a Japanese invasion led King to create two divisions, the 6th and the 8th, largely composed of Zombies, that were stationed to guard the Pacific coast while another Zombie division, the 7th, was created to guard the Atlantic coast against a German invasion, just to show that the government was not indifferent to the Maritimes, through the military had advised the government there was little danger of a Japanese invasion and even less of a German invasion.[33]

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cessna posted:

"Icky girls getting all over my clubhouse."

Can't they just be bitter and lonely about this quietly? we get they got issues with women.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Huh, that's kind of cool. Guess I got to buy it next time a sale rolls through.

Isn't Rome II the one with the catapult that shoots bees at people? And scorpions, and snakes, and spiders, depending on faction? Was that ever a thing?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

Huh, that's kind of cool. Guess I got to buy it next time a sale rolls through.

Isn't Rome II the one with the catapult that shoots bees at people? And scorpions, and snakes, and spiders, depending on faction? Was that ever a thing?

CA's approach is essentially 'this novelty thing looks/is cool lets put it in a game!' which is pretty much had been a theme since 2002 and these weird nerds are a bit late to yell and shake fists at them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/seldo/status/1044611211130679296

:discourse:

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Why would you assume this? Here's a manual for Texas, for instance -

https://archive.org/details/manualofinstructtxgilh

I assumed it because of the majority of soldiers being conscripts or otherwise newly raised and trained very quickly.

Even if the goal was something more complex than freefire, that doesn't mean the men were trained well enough to actually do it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Don't want to lose your standards? either protect it better or hilariously quietly try and hire a tailor to make new ones to cover up missing ones while still on campaign.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
austria only gave gustavus adolphus's buff coat back to sweden in the late nineteen-teens/early twenties as thanks for sweden's efforts to feed their population when they were all starving after the war. this poo poo is still a big deal

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

is this descended from the 1st minnesota? because that would be absolutely bad rear end

edit - it sure as gently caress is. that is their goddamn flag, they earned that the hard way

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

bewbies posted:

is this descended from the 1st minnesota? because that would be absolutely bad rear end

edit - it sure as gently caress is. that is their goddamn flag, they earned that the hard way

Holy poo poo, 82% casualties in 5 minutes, in a single action, and they held the ground. Yeah, they get to keep that flag.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The flag should he shown in it's original context, being pried from the dead hands of some dumb slave owner officer haha eat poo poo virginia

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Agean90 posted:

The flag should he shown in it's original context, being pried from the dead hands of some dumb slave owner officer haha eat poo poo virginia

It also pleases me greatly that Minnesota is telling them to get hosed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They should tell them molon labe

Oh, you want your standard back? Better raise some motherfucking legions then you reb pieces of poo poo.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ice Fist posted:

It also pleases me greatly that Minnesota is telling them to get hosed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
jesse the body ventura had his issues but i'm 100% on board with that poo poo

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Midwesterners are fuckin insane when it gets down to brass tacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
virginia is the worst and i cannot wait until NoVA, as terrible as it is, completely subsumes RoVA and all these faux confederates die