Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cichlidae posted:

They literally dotted the "i"s in their logo with the boring symbol...

They got so inured to seeing the boring cross in their logo that when they saw it on the plans they just thought it was part of the 'i' from a note and ignored it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Azathoth posted:

UXO chat reminds me of the very OSHA RAF Fauld explosion.

What sucks is that the guy probably vaporized before he learned his lesson.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
On the plus side, he never did it again.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TotalLossBrain posted:

I do not understand why people do this poo poo. I'm reading a book

I think I've found your issue.

Idiots who play with UXO and the like don't read books. Like, ever.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dis
Assemble
Bombs
!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igUatF3TIyE

It just keeps getting worse

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I'm not a plumber, but I'm pretty sure turning the water off is step 1 of basically anything to do with faffing about with plumbing and then you check that it's off before proceeding with faffing about.

But then I'm not a plumber.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Complications posted:

I'm not a plumber, but I'm pretty sure turning the water off is step 1 of basically anything to do with faffing about with plumbing and then you check that it's off before proceeding with faffing about.

This sometimes isn't an option because some really badly built places will not have a clear shut-off. I've done inspections in whole apartment buildings where when I ask the owner/landlord where the water shut-off is they have no idea. Some will instantly tell me where the individual unit shut-offs are and where the main incoming valve is, others shrug. The different is generally a landlord thats had to deal with water damage before and one who hasn't had to learn that lesson yet.

Some old buildings though have them in really hosed up places, like not even in the building, sometimes it's in a little manhole closer to the street. Sometimes it's hidden away in the back of a random storage locker in the basement. But I really can't express strongly enough how important it is for everyone to know where those shut-offs are because it can mean the difference between having to put some towels down and set up a fan, and having to gut and rebuild 3 floors worth of flooring.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I didn't expect this type of video content from Mr. Putin. Is this supposed to be an analogy? A threat?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I live in a townhome on a concrete pad and my valve is in a doom hole on the back patio that is 100% full of spiders.

So I use the shutoff at the meter in the street.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Complications posted:

Didn't I hear them say something like shutting off the water would cost $150?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How could it cost 150 dollars to shut off the water? Was he going to have the city come out to do it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maybe they have to shut it off for the whole floor or something and they charge that to make people think twice

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
If so then it's the management who's about to have to think twice

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Thinking about it from the plumber's point of view, at what point do you say 'hold this over that and don't let go' and then simply run away?

You ain't getting a good Yelp review at that point anyway.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm pretty sure they know where your place of business is at that point lol, you ain't getting away

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Complications posted:

I've seen this video before. There's a 100 dollar charge to turn off the water for some reason, and either the landlord or the plumber didn't want to pay it so they decided to go with the considerably cheaper option of destroying this lady's apartment instead.

Also the apartment below them.

e: beaten but I seem to recall it being a thing where someone from the city has to come out or something

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

coke posted:

lol that owns

dude is probably in possesion of enough high explosives to be arrested for terrorism related offences, to be honest.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Don't worry, dude said he burned each explosive block individually .

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He uh... burned it all.

He didnt report it to the police because his uncle wanted to keep the case lmao

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I'm suuuuure he burned it all

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dude could probably get a job in ordinance disposal at this point.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He mentioned they were all soaked in seawater which was probably the only thing keeping him from being kibble.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

He mentioned they were all soaked in seawater which was probably the only thing keeping him from being kibble.

No doubt he's drying them out in front of a roaring fire.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if it's actually TNT i have heard that the compound is surprisingly toxic, and even skin contact over a prolonged period can cause liver and kidney failure

i'm sure he took precautions though

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Baronjutter posted:

This sometimes isn't an option because some really badly built places will not have a clear shut-off. I've done inspections in whole apartment buildings where when I ask the owner/landlord where the water shut-off is they have no idea. Some will instantly tell me where the individual unit shut-offs are and where the main incoming valve is, others shrug. The different is generally a landlord thats had to deal with water damage before and one who hasn't had to learn that lesson yet.

Some old buildings though have them in really hosed up places, like not even in the building, sometimes it's in a little manhole closer to the street. Sometimes it's hidden away in the back of a random storage locker in the basement. But I really can't express strongly enough how important it is for everyone to know where those shut-offs are because it can mean the difference between having to put some towels down and set up a fan, and having to gut and rebuild 3 floors worth of flooring.

Ugh. I lived in a condo a few years ago where there were no individual shutoffs for the units, just the building as a whole.

3 weeks after Christmas, I woke up to two inches of water everywhere in my home. Our upstairs neighbor's hot water heater failed, and they let it constantly run the whole night because they could hear the running water but couldn't see any in their floor. It all got dumped through my laundry room ceiling.

Remediation and reconstruction took 101 days while we lived in a hotel with a 2 year old. We moved back in the weekend my wife finished her last final exam for grad school.

The most devastating thing for me was we had all of the toys my daughter had gotten for Christmas down on the floor so she could access them. All but one were totalled.

Water sucks.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My favorite part of that UXO post is how he's like "yeah so I took all the explosive material out, please tell me what it's called", before he realizes how close he came to exploding himself.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

Ugh. I lived in a condo a few years ago where there were no individual shutoffs for the units, just the building as a whole.

3 weeks after Christmas, I woke up to two inches of water everywhere in my home. Our upstairs neighbor's hot water heater failed, and they let it constantly run the whole night because they could hear the running water but couldn't see any in their floor. It all got dumped through my laundry room ceiling.

Remediation and reconstruction took 101 days while we lived in a hotel with a 2 year old. We moved back in the weekend my wife finished her last final exam for grad school.

The most devastating thing for me was we had all of the toys my daughter had gotten for Christmas down on the floor so she could access them. All but one were totalled.

Water sucks.

drat that's a bad time. Did your insurance cover you at all or were you outta pocket?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Man... my experience with flooding has been MUCH luckier than yours. I'm almost glad we flooded.

In January, my girlfriend's condo where I live flooded. The elderly lady two floors up had left on her bathtub. Our neighbor's unit was a total loss, and ours just lost the kitchen plus the floor got ripped up in all the common rooms. Our insurance company tried to tell us that we could live there without a kitchen for the duration of the repair as it wasn't necessary, but our house was full of dangerous demolition debris with our cats climbing on it.

After a big marble countertop fell and nearly crushed the cats, I had enough and hired a public insurance adjuster. That's like hiring a lawyer. They're a third party that handles disputes over your insurance claim. It's really lucky that a contractor we brought in for a quote mentioned that public adjusters exist because we would not have known. Once hired, they got poo poo done, at least when it came to getting us out of there. They had me write an affadavit letter about the dangers and I wrote the hell out of it. We got moved out the next day.

That was January. It's September now and the insurance company has still not OK'd us to *begin* repairs on the condo. It's still in the exact same state. Thank gently caress we moved out. The delay was caused by a protracted debate with our HOA over what their own policy covered, and our insurance case being swapped between like 5 different case managers as people left. Watch out for Liberty Mutual, by the way.

The weird thing is, rent is really, really high where we live and where they moved us temporarily. So they've been paying $7,000 a month for us to live in an apartment since January. And just eating the cost.

The temporary apartment they picked was a prime location right next to my school and shopping. Fancy corner unit, which I guess the landlord picked out for this purpose assuming our case would be done by summer, so he could lock someone in at the high summer rates once we were out. Sucks for him, and sucks for Liberty Mutual, that there has been zero progress on our condo and we're still covered for 16 more months of relocation benefits.

What's insane is it would have been cheaper for our Liberty Mutual policy to just accept all liability from the beginning and pay for all our flood repairs, even if it meant the HOA double paid us later. Their company is just bleeding large sums of money for relocation in pursuit of keeping claims numbers down. What the gently caress.

Really a suicidal company.

\/\/ Yes, into fire if it's not stabilized enough

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 26, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Those are blocks of TNT right? Does TNT decompose into anything nasty/sensitive with time?

e ^ Some times I think insurance companies care more about being "right" than the actual cost. Like it's in their policy to be as stingy as possible, even if it would actually cost them less to be more flexible.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 26, 2018

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Collateral Damage posted:

Those are blocks of TNT right? Does TNT decompose into anything nasty/sensitive with time?

It's starts to sweat Nitro Glycerine.

EDIT: Wait, that's dynamite. The ACME catalog fed me some bad info.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Collateral Damage posted:

e ^ Some times I think insurance companies care more about being "right" than the actual cost. Like it's in their policy to be as stingy as possible, even if it would actually cost them less to be more flexible.

I think it can suffer a similar "sweating" phenomenon as dynamite where it gets more sensitive in poor storage.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Synthbuttrange posted:

spog posted:

No doubt he's drying them out in front of a roaring fire.

He mentioned that they dried out the individual brinks in the sun for a few days before they decided to burn them.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sagebrush posted:

i'm sure he took precautions though

Sure, don't all backyard bomb disposal techs?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Man... my experience with flooding has been MUCH luckier than yours. I'm almost glad we flooded.

Not sure whether I mentioned this here or in the Crappy Construction thread, but my friends had a disaster.

Went away on vacation, returned to find a pipe froze and burst in the second floor ceiling. They had remediators come in and set up fans to start drying everything out, and they didn’t discover that the popcorn ceiling that collapsed due to water damage was asbestos until after the fans did a great job of spreading asbestos fibers through the whole house.

They got to live in a trailer on their front lawn with the 5- and 3-year old children for more than two years. State EPA had to get involved, house needed to be gutted and completely rebuilt, all their clothes and bedding and kids’ toys were now hazardous waste; it was a horrible and complicated experience.

But their insurance covered it. I mean, if you’re going to file a homeowner’s claim, go big. No little poo poo like “a tree fell on the roof,” you want it to be something like “build me a new loving house.”

I don’t think it was TNT; previously the actual model of naval mine was mentioned and the fill was different than that. Can’t remember what it was, though.

The really hairy thing isn’t the explosive, though, it’s the detonator. Seawater exposure to those things can result in some really unstable metal azide salts that will go off if they hear bad language.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 26, 2018

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It won't be straight TNT/Dynamite. That's expensive, less effective, weaker and more dangerous. It would be something like Torpex(WW2) or Amatol.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

That water flow is high enough that it doesn't even seem to be running through a reducer. That's like straight up main pressure. My guess, is that, like a lot of older places, there are no shutoffs en-suite. If you're lucky, there's a shutoff in the basement, but i'm guessing, by the lack of pressure reduction, that the shutoff is somewhere in the ground out out front by the water main. Usually about 6 feet down that requires a special, very long handled, wrench.

The fun thing, is that if it hasn't been shut off in a a decade or so, you can break it. Then you need the city to shut off at the main closest to it and then get a backhoe to dig it out and fix it. Thus the $150 charge to just turn the valve as discouragement.

Back on the farm, the main shut off was in the ground. Every time we had to shut it off, we'd put in more shut offs inside to avoid having to turn the whole house off through the 6ft deep hole. Eventually, a main shutoff was put in in the basement. Makes life a heck of a lot easier and you don't have to scramble to find the ridiculous 10 foot long wrench. They turn invisible when you're in a panic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just looked through the sea mine reddit thread. Man, that guy was an idiot. "Yeah I could have died, lol whatever, my uncle has a cool metal shell now."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dumb Lowtax posted:

In January, my girlfriend's condo where I live flooded. The elderly lady two floors up had left on her bathtub. Our neighbor's unit was a total loss, and ours just lost the kitchen plus the floor got ripped up in all the common rooms. Our insurance company tried to tell us that we could live there without a kitchen for the duration of the repair as it wasn't necessary, but our house was full of dangerous demolition debris with our cats climbing on it.

After a big marble countertop fell and nearly crushed the cats, I had enough and hired a public insurance adjuster. That's like hiring a lawyer. They're a third party that handles disputes over your insurance claim. It's really lucky that a contractor we brought in for a quote mentioned that public adjusters exist because we would not have known. Once hired, they got poo poo done, at least when it came to getting us out of there. They had me write an affadavit letter about the dangers and I wrote the hell out of it. We got moved out the next day.

That was January. It's September now and the insurance company has still not OK'd us to *begin* repairs on the condo. It's still in the exact same state. Thank gently caress we moved out. The delay was caused by a protracted debate with our HOA over what their own policy covered, and our insurance case being swapped between like 5 different case managers as people left. Watch out for Liberty Mutual, by the way.

The weird thing is, rent is really, really high where we live and where they moved us temporarily. So they've been paying $7,000 a month for us to live in an apartment since January. And just eating the cost.

The temporary apartment they picked was a prime location right next to my school and shopping. Fancy corner unit, which I guess the landlord picked out for this purpose assuming our case would be done by summer, so he could lock someone in at the high summer rates once we were out. Sucks for him, and sucks for Liberty Mutual, that there has been zero progress on our condo and we're still covered for 16 more months of relocation benefits.

What's insane is it would have been cheaper for our Liberty Mutual policy to just accept all liability from the beginning and pay for all our flood repairs, even if it meant the HOA double paid us later. Their company is just bleeding large sums of money for relocation in pursuit of keeping claims numbers down. What the gently caress.

Really a suicidal company.

\/\/ Yes, into fire if it's not stabilized enough

(Commercial, large- insurer Insurance adjuster here)

I'm happy that a PA actually helped you, because typically all they really care about is signing you up and then taking their 10-50% fee off of your settlement checks. After which they dump you like a hot rock, and hey, not really helping at all with the process.

And you are stuck in a process. There is a commercial policy that covers the building/condo association; then, you guys probably have a separate unit-owner's policy, which covers your possessions as well as any additions & alterations you made to the condo after you bought it (possibly, those granite countertops?).

Aaannnd you have by-laws. Those determine who owns what, and, therefore, who insures what. They vary wildly from condo to condo; sometimes, by-laws are really poorly-written, so that it's quite difficult to delineate between common elements and unit-owner elements. Not to mention, the insurance clause. So, Liberty Mutual's been fighting with the condo master carrier over contractual responsibility. Your PA may be strangely silent on this, or bitching to LM to cover everything, because his fee comes out of representing you against Liberty, and he gets nothing for pushing the master policy carrier, since he does not represent them.

As much as I'd like to, the policy is a contract, and I have to stick to it, and while I do push it to bend as much as my management will permit to get things done, carriers can't simply say, "hey, it's cheaper to just pay everything up-front than to pay DumbLowtax's ALE!" because:
a) the other carrier won't give us a dime towards that if I (well, my management) agree to do so; and
b) it can set a precedent for all future HO6 claims.

I'm surprised that your ALE will cover for long...although usually, it's up to the coverage C limit on your policy, which sounds like it's fairly high for an HO6 (+$100K)

Pentultimately: surely, the contractor could have done a better job of securing your countertops and their worksite;
Lastly: Your carrier should have asked you from the outset if you needed a place to stay. I would have offered to put you in a Korman Suite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lou Takki posted:

drat that's a bad time. Did your insurance cover you at all or were you outta pocket?

We were covered by insurance. All of our possessions ("content") were covered under our homeowners policy. My mother is a 30+ year employee at the insurer and I ran into multiple people through the whole process who knew her.

All of structural work went against the condo association's master policy because the ultimate fault was the storm drain in my upstairs neighbor's laundry room had pipes disconnected between their floor and my ceiling and according to the bylaws, the condo association owned everything inside the walls.
Here's the failure point:

The bottom 2 feet of drywall through nearly the entire condo was taken out, stripped down to the studs and rebuilt.

My wife and I ended up pouring our savings into upgrades in the kitchen and bamboo flooring throughout the place which seemed like a great idea at the time. Our kitchen looked amazing with granite countertops and we had bamboo flooring everywhere but the bedrooms. Then the contractor called.
:toughguy: "Hey, Nth Doctor? Where's my money?"
:v: "What do you mean? The condo insurance company should pay you."
:toughguy: "Well they haven't and I'm owed sixty grand for all of the work."
:stonk: "Uh... let me call you back"

Turns out, the condo association's insurance company just airdropped the money into the association's bank account and didn't tell anyone.
Then one of the other residents successfully argued to the association that some of the money ought to be used to proactively open up the ceilings and replace the bad fittings in the rest of the units, since my flood was the second time in 2 years that something this devastating had happened.
So the money got spent and there was none for the contractor when he came around. Eventually a payment plan between the association and the contractor was worked out.

During all of this, we got our upgrades and the insurance company dropped the association forcing them to get a much more expensive policy which caused dues to go up. The association president (who also ran the management company doing the administrative and financial side of things) implied to the other owners that my wife and I took the money and used it for all of the improvements to our place.

Around the one year mark after all of this insanity, we sold the place and bought a house. Only to have the basement flood to mid-calf deep during the 2014 Michigan floods that turned I-75 and I-696 into a loving swamp.

It's been four years but I'm finally able to make it through a thunderstorm without needing anti anxiety meds.