Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Splicer posted:

As someone (please tell me if it was you I really want to give credit) said, the thing about the A Team is that at the end of the day, Mr. T always got on that drat plane.

I first heard that on Total Party Thrill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

To expand on the detailed answer heavily on how the encounter is constructed. A group of weaker enemies compared to a single more powerful enemy may be the same xp budget, but they present very different situations. If you're always fighting 4 enemies at ~(Party Level/4) then you don't get easier to hit as you level without magic items. If you're fighting 1-2 enemies at party level, you get hit significantly more often as you level without magic items.

Unfortunately though, the real answer is "CR is horribly inaccurate in 5e as an estimate of challenge, threat or difficulty and the DMG guidelines are just as bad so there's no meaningful answer to this question"

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
If your defense of "that's what my character would do" relies on everyone else breaking character when they don't shiv you, change your character.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
So if I wanted to play a grapple monk, what kind of point but should I look at? High str/dex/con?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

ifg you want to be a grappler be someone with expertise, preferably bard, because monk has extremely little to offer that bard doesnt already cover, can cover, or is generally unimportant besides "being the class, monk"

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

RC Cola posted:

So if I wanted to play a grapple monk, what kind of point but should I look at? High str/dex/con?

So, weirdly because of how Grapple rules are contested athletics skill checks vs either athletics or acrobatics skill checks, you want Strength and Con, Dex doesn't matter nearly as much. This weirdly makes Bard is actually one of the best ways to go about grappling. Or Fighter/Barb dipping into Rogue for Expertise.

Bard works because they can get expertise, and mess with skill checks. Also you're a full fledged bard, which is always useful to have around.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

RC Cola posted:

Tortle to ignore DEX, or resign yourself to playing a different class.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Tortle, and if your GM is OK with UA grab the Brawny feat.

Brawny posted:

You become stronger, gaining the following benefits:

Increase your Strength score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You gain proficiency in the Athletics skill. If you are already proficient in the skill, you add double your proficiency bonus to checks you make with it.
You count as if you were one size larger for the purpose of determining your carrying capacity.

Also you're now a ninja tortle.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
has anyone here got the adventures in middle earth players handbook/and or loremasters guide? i'm interested in the class composition + any rule changes made, and if it could be used in a homebrew low magic setting. though my players have played delta green so maybe the newest rune quest might be a better fit.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

RC Cola posted:

If you want a monk who has the flavor and some of the effective mechanics of grappling, you can just go Open Hand, which takes your normal attacks and bakes in effects like knocking prone or doing 15 ft. shoves.

One thing that might work in a monk's favor for grappling is their Flurry of Blows trait? It says that when you take an Attack action, you can burn 1 Ki point to make two unarmed attacks. Grappling is considered an Attack action, so I think if you have the Grappler feat, you can grapple someone as your attack and then follow it up with 2 unarmed attacks that have advantage. On your next turn, you could grapple them again to turn it into a pin and get two additional attacks off.

This is a pretty detailed guide on making a 5e grappler, but though I've never built one myself:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468737-The-Grappler-s-Manual-(2-0)-Grappling-in-5th-Edition

If I had a player who wanted to be a monk that utilized a lot of grappling, I'd probably just give them the Grappling feat by having them meet some sort of expert martial artist who can teach it to them.

Fruity20 posted:

question for role playing: the last character i played felt very lackluster and didn't have much character. If i ever get a chance to join a game, how can i give my PCs more character?

so far I had two character ideas: one is a tiefling rogue (neutral) dealing with his cultist father and the other a very polite half elf cleric (lawful good) who acts like a doormat. I'm afraid these might go to waste as I suck at improv and I have issues putting myself in my character's shoes.

I think the easiest way to roleplay characters is to give your DM something to work with. Like for your tiefling rogue, I would probably have a bit of a correspondence with your DM about what the father's cult is like. Is he high ranking, active, and feared/loved? Or is did he leave the cult in disgrace? Maybe every town has a population of these cultists, and for better or worse they're like "hey you're that guys kid!" and treat you a certain way, so you either have to be disguising yourself from them or trying to take advantage of their disposition toward you.

Or with the polite cleric doormat, you have to think of something that goes against their grain. They're a doormat, but. Just like Samwise or even Mulan, you wouldn't expect them to be an adventurer based on their outward personality, but there's something inside of them that is stronger than their surface quality. Or maybe it's a conscious choice they're making. Like "Oh, I hate adventuring! It's bloody and germy and I just know I'm going to get a staph infection one of these days. But I'm [other party member]'s best friend and I know they need me by their side!/But my village needs a suitable hero for our goddess's next ceremony, and I'm the chief's eldest child so I need to fill those shoes."

If you're very polite and subservient and also a germophobe, maybe whenever your party goes to town, you're the one who insists on getting the nicer room at the inn for everyone instead of the rat-infested commons, or you go out of your way to stay up late to clean the grime off everyone's armor.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

In one of my d&d games this week, the gun toting arcane archer shot my bard in the face when she refused to give him a magic item that the organization he works for wanted.

Not 'argued and then shot' but she said 'no gently caress off' and he said 'have it your way' and shot her point blank with his gun.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Did you then perform the traditional betrayer execution with the rest of the party?

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Dont leave us hanging, what happened?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Conspiratiorist posted:

Did you then perform the traditional betrayer execution with the rest of the party?

Nah. I used Suggestion to make him give us everything he was carrying and walk home. Naked. He later got a demotion and reassignment far away from the party, because while technically his mission was to retrieve such objects, he ruined his relationship to the party. Which had retrieved a half dozen similar things and handed them over.

Player is now making a tiefling paladin/warlock replacement.

The other game had my glamour bard met a rival siren (ixalan mtg world)bard. She beat him in a contest of instruments, failed to steal his violin bow while he was showboating, so he caught her hand while she tried to grab it and forced her to dance with him. She beat his dancing rolls, took control of the dance, danced him through the tavern forcing him to take the woman's steps, and started calling him her trophy wife. He enjoyed it and started talking about how no pirate captain is complete without a pretty girl by their side and a pretty bird on their shoulder, and they 'can be both, basically"

I like bards.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 26, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

KittyEmpress posted:

I like bards.

They have 12 step programs for that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That sounds kinda rapey

Edit: re bard guy

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 26, 2018

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Mendrian posted:

When it comes to playing a good character, here is all you need to know:

The other way new players fall down is that they go so all-in on their concept that it disrupts the game and attempts to pull the whole party around by the nose. Learning that balancing act is tricky, but once you get it, you're golden.

All of this is excellent and I'll share it with my players. The only thing I'd add is if you can work those points into your ideals / bonds / flaws then your DM will be better able to recognise and reward you for roleplaying well with inspiration points.

On the monk grappling talk my shadow monk will be dipping rogue for expertise. Mainly to cast silence then teleport, grapple and drag casters into the silence for a quick murder. I'm not sure whether he'd get the advantage on the grapple after teleporting but if not he'll stab for sneak attack.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
My DM is going to let me play a literal dog that had awaken cast on it. I'm a 30 lb Australian Shepherd monk that can speak common. My body is ready. They call me Buffy.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

KittyEmpress posted:

Nah. I used Suggestion to make him give us everything he was carrying and walk home. Naked. He later got a demotion and reassignment far away from the party, because while technically his mission was to retrieve such objects, he ruined his relationship to the party. Which had retrieved a half dozen similar things and handed them over.

The other game had my glamour bard met a rival siren (ixalan mtg world)bard. She beat him in a contest of instruments, failed to steal his violin bow while he was showboating, so he caught her hand while she tried to grab it and forced her to dance with him. She beat his dancing rolls, took control of the dance, danced him through the tavern forcing him to take the woman's steps, and started calling him her trophy wife. He enjoyed it and started talking about how no pirate captain is complete without a pretty girl by their side and a pretty bird on their shoulder, and they 'can be both, basically"

I like bards.

Gross.

Gross.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

RC Cola posted:

My DM is going to let me play a literal dog that had awaken cast on it. I'm a 30 lb Australian Shepherd monk that can speak common. My body is ready. They call me Buffy.

Ask if you can upgrade to a Conglomedog.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

clusterfuck posted:

Ask if you can upgrade to a Conglomedog.

DUDE my wife is running a session zero this Friday for a Farie Fire campaign we’re starting. Anyone here used it and have any tips or suggestions for meshing that content with the MM stuff to run a feywild campaign?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I like bards.

well uh..hmm how bout that.

EDIT: Yeah heads up, one of those two stories is like 'oh weird hah' but doing both of them back to back being about mind control abuse of a sexual natures gets a bit uh yeah.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 26, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

RC Cola posted:

is your dog named buffy because it goes buff when it barks quietly

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KittyEmpress posted:

I like bards.

I'm sorry but you really don't come off well in this story

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kaysette posted:

DUDE my wife is running a session zero this Friday for a Farie Fire campaign we’re starting. Anyone here used it and have any tips or suggestions for meshing that content with the MM stuff to run a feywild campaign?

I'm of the opinion that a lot of the smaller animals should be reclassified from fey or monstrosity to double-type, like "monstrosity, beast" so your rangers and druids can do fun things with all the wild animals. Every creature supplement I've seen is low on fantastical beasts that are actually classed "beast."

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm sorry but you really don't come off well in this story

I legitimately don't see why not? Murdering a guy is kosher, but sending him home embarrassed and shamed isn't?

As for the second one, it was all in good fun and nothing ill was meant or taken from it, so *shrug*.

Different humors for different people I suppose.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

kingcom posted:

well uh..hmm how bout that.

EDIT: Yeah heads up, one of those two stories is like 'oh weird hah' but doing both of them back to back being about mind control abuse of a sexual natures gets a bit uh yeah.

Uh. the second one had no mind control. Just teasing that the other bard played along with because it was all in good fun and they didn't mind it. And I don't think nudity is inherently 'of a sexual nature' so much as it was done in the way of 'embarrass someone'. But again, the groups both thought they were funny and fun. Yall do not. I wont share any similar stories again.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Uh. the second one had no mind control. Just teasing that the other bard played along with because it was all in good fun and they didn't mind it. And I don't think nudity is inherently 'of a sexual nature' so much as it was done in the way of 'embarrass someone'. But again, the groups both thought they were funny and fun. Yall do not. I wont share any similar stories again.

Like I'm sure it was fine for the group you were in, its just like going from zero information of your game to that is a bit awkward you know?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Look, this is why you murder them. Killing is okay, but mind control is rape.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kaysette posted:

See if you can steal from 4th edition the "Mentioned literally only once on an item" Prince of Hearts. The Archfey who sells harmless magical cookies baked by his loyal gnomes.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm of the opinion that a lot of the smaller animals should be reclassified from fey or monstrosity to double-type, like "monstrosity, beast" so your rangers and druids can do fun things with all the wild animals. Every creature supplement I've seen is low on fantastical beasts that are actually classed "beast."
It's incredibly absurd that even stuff literally with beast in the name doesn't count.

"Oh no, no. That's not a beast at all!... Yes I know it's called a Displacer beast, what's your point?"

Probably just deliberate keyword sabotage to gate off being able to use certain spells and effects until you rate "vs monster" over "vs humanoid/beast" spells. But still, come on. It's in the loving name :argh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 26, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've had a feywild campaign waiting in the wings for months and months now but I'm still iffy about running it on roll20. People are weirdos. Could run it IRL but I'll probably have to wait for one group commitment to fade.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

KittyEmpress posted:

I legitimately don't see why not? Murdering a guy is kosher, but sending him home embarrassed and shamed isn't?

Legitimately yes. You can tell because while Aragorn kills a lot of orcs, he doesn't make anyone get naked and walk into town, and if he did, that'd be the only part of the books anyone would really talk about.

KittyEmpress posted:

As for the second one, it was all in good fun and nothing ill was meant or taken from it, so *shrug*.

Different humors for different people I suppose.

"Hah hah I made them take the lady role and called this guy a wife! This is traditionally emasculating!"

See, it's differently funny because I don't think sexist stuff is funny. I mean, you get a half-redemption because it sounds like everyone was consenting, but the story still reads gross.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

theironjef posted:

Legitimately yes. You can tell because while Aragorn kills a lot of orcs, he doesn't make anyone get naked and walk into town, and if he did, that'd be the only part of the books anyone would really talk about.

"Hah hah I made them take the lady role and called this guy a wife! This is traditionally emasculating!"

See, it's differently funny because I don't think sexist stuff is funny. I mean, you get a half-redemption because it sounds like everyone was consenting, but the story still reads gross.

"He enjoyed it and started talking about how no pirate captain is complete without a pretty girl by their side and a pretty bird on their shoulder, and they 'can be both, basically""

It's like every single one of you in this thread is incapable of reading.

They beat another bard at their own game without using magic, not used Modify Memory to make them think they're a Pretty Pretty Princess.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It'd be great if we didn't do the thing where people pretend to not understand why anyone might ever have a problem with "made another PC hand over their stuff and strip naked".

Your group was fine with it? OK! Cool! You guys do whatever you like! Just please don't pretend you don't understand why many people might be distressed by that scene.

E: "Different humour for different people", yes. Know your audience etc.

e2: It'd also be great if we didn't do the thing where people pretend not to understand how there could ever possibly be a group that didn't have a problem with that scene, because yeah, there's plenty of people who would think that that was a harmless joke, even if you think they're clueless (or assholes) for thinking so.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 26, 2018

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
“And then it turned out they liked it” is a pretty loving bad punchline imo.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

You have to understand that some people have suffered bullying and encountering this kind of behavior in their elf games, or even just hearing about it happening in other people's elf games, might be highly upsetting as a result.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Sounds amazing. There's a little feywild now and likely more feywild stuff coming up in our campaign and I've got Faerie Fire in amongst it. So I'm slotting in a few creatures like Corgipede, Dazzle fly swarms and a Honeysuckle Hag. There's so much awesome in there. If the party does well now they'll get an appearance from Keighton

For meshing with MM stuff I quite like the primal beasts and their curses. I'd try and expand that list of curses and figure how many MM fey creatures can be modified and mutated to make the feywild campaign feel more unique and perhaps dream like.

It's a fantastic supplement, I can't wait to dive back in for more.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Bards have always been good and cool, and grogs hating it has only ever strengthened both of these facts.

I'm ignoring anything else being said in this thread right now.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Conspiratiorist posted:

You have to understand that some people have suffered bullying and encountering this kind of behavior in their elf games, or even just hearing about it happening in other people's elf games, might be highly upsetting as a result.

Yeah, I never considered anything like that. In our group it basically got a few laughs (and a few people grousing that 'we should have killed him so he can't sick his organization on us, why you gotta be such a goody two shoes'). Even the player of the PC only complained because 'If I hadn't missed two of my three shots, she'd have been dead before she could do it, and I would have won. Dang low rolls.'

I am really sorry for anyone I made uncomfortable with it. It wasn't meant to be rapey or sexual abuse, but using mind control to non-lethally resolve a situation in a way that left people laughing, and felt suitably 'what the gently caress, I'm gonna gently caress you over' without going fully deadly, because my PC is all about non lethal. But in hindsight with this mentioned, I do understand how that can be taken now, and I'm sorry for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

ProfessorCirno posted:

Bards have always been good and cool, and grogs hating it has only ever strengthened both of these facts.

Quoted for truth.

I'm pretty sure the reason grognards hate bards so much is because they're the ones perpetuating the stereotypes whenever they explain why they hate bards, effectively creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

My experience only goes back to 3.5, but I don't understand how people can undervalue bard when it was printed in the same book as, for example, monk and ranger.

The only upshot to the bard-hate circle-jerk is that 5e knee-jerked in the opposite direction to make bard literally the strongest and most versatile class in the game.