Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
PoE is great but there's like a 3 hour slog on every new character before you get to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Play path of exile if you want a sense of progression in your arpg. You go from pooping on the beach while walking to doom teleporting across the map.

I keep getting rolled at endgame because of the drop to resistances.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

The drop in resistances is far from endgame... also, join the goon guild. You can usually cobble together max resists from random gear in the guild chest.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

even if you aren't in a guild you can buy high resist gear for pennies

getting outfitted at a level to do white maps isn't tough if you do some market searching for the gear mod combinations you want, and then from there you just accumulate currency and get upgrades so that you can keep ascending up the atlas

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah but trading is a common complaint for people so this avoids even that. Literally with a minimum of effort you can get kitted out to defeat the campaign. Mostly you just need to looks for life and resists on gear and you'll be fine. You can beat it with a 4link but 5links are cheap and not too hard to come across.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Oh boy

Auction house scraping to do basic content

Or even worse, having to interact with goons

e: vvv Maybe one day I'll get to quality content like that, but I've over a hundred hours in already

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 25, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Oh boy

if you have the slightest idea of what you’re doing it’s pretty trivial to push through yellow maps at a minimum without ever interacting with another human being

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
chela, my love, my only: if you're 100 hours in and you haven't hit endgame, that is not the fault of the game

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

chela, my love, my only: if you're 100 hours in and you haven't hit endgame, that is not the fault of the game

I got a lot of them to 20ish and got bored

My ranger is 48 and with +38% runspeed its actually not that bad

Guess I'm playing this again thanks

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 25, 2018

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Pick an easy build, stick with it. 1-20 is literally the most boring gameplay. Very few builds start to feel good by then and the ones that do rely on having pricier uniques.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I got a lot of them to 20ish and got bored

My ranger is 48 and with +38% runspeed its actually not that bad

ah that's fair then. yeah 1-20 sucks hard. you gotta power through the story (~6-8 hours, ~4:30 when you get good at it) to basically start the game. the game desperately needs Adventure Mode like D3.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Is a game really good if almost half of it is bad?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

the story isn't half the game, mercy main

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Oh boy

e: vvv Maybe one day I'll get to quality content like that, but I've over a hundred hours in already

scraping, huh

i don't see how putting a few minimum requirements into the trade search engine, which automatically then finds you the cheapest deals that meet your requirements, is too much to ask for, especially since there will be literally thousands of items very cheap for beginning-of-endgame quality gear

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Jazerus posted:

scraping, huh

i don't see how putting a few minimum requirements into the trade search engine, which automatically then finds you the cheapest deals that meet your requirements, is too much to ask for, especially since there will be literally thousands of items very cheap for beginning-of-endgame quality gear

That doesn't sound like punching OR stabbing OR blasting with lasers.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't mind tossing a search filter into Warframe trade chat to find the parts I'm looking for. Probably has something to do with the fact that I'm already playing the game just fine and I'm just looking for new things to try.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Warframe is a good game, unlike Marvel Heroes Omega 2016, which does not exist

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Relentless posted:

That doesn't sound like punching OR stabbing OR blasting with lasers.

it does in fact, sound like scraping however

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

PoE is loving great, I have 1000s of hours in it. Trading is super easy using the indexer, it even gives you text to copy and paste so you don't have to reread your whisper 8 times to make sure the random internet guy you're whispering won't think you're stupid. It's systems are cryptic as gently caress, like knowing that you have to max all of your resists is absolutely baseline vital to the end game. This is never explained. There's also good, cheap builds that tear through the early game and transition easily into something end game viable. PoE requires a lot of research, but that's inherent in any super deep, complicated game.

PoE has a ridiculous amount of viable builds and an almost endless variety of endgame content, as good of an economy in leagues as can exist in the age of bot farms, and I love the loot system as it combines guaranteed incremental progression with the occasional ridiculous RNG windfalls.

I played tons of MH and D3 too. MH was great but I hate the loot/progression system, anything gated behind weekly events pisses me off it just feels like clocking in to work to do the raids/events. Same reason I hated Destiny.

D3 is just meh, incremental guaranteed progression is cool but not having any trade aspect sucks, and the lack of the possibility of a incredibly valuable item dropping takes a lot of the fun out of the grind. Also there doesn't seem like there is much of a variety of viable builds.

All 3 are great games but nothing holds a candle to PoE.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I'm bored at work and I don't want to write this brief so I'm rereading one of the old threads and in hindsight it's unbelievable that Gazillion lived as long as it did. please enjoy this walk down memory lane w yr ol pal Vapors

(credit Skrybbles)

(credit Georges St. Pfreak)

(credit some Finnish turd)

(credit Bart O'Sunman)

and finally, the real thing I was actually looking for:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

(credit Georges St. Pfreak)

Mentally Calculated Item Budgets That Only One Guy Knew will forever be the best

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

vaginite posted:

PoE requires a lot of research, but that's inherent in any super deep, complicated game.

There's just a disconnect between what I want out of the game and what it delivers. They're all the same skeleton, but what I really want out of my ARPG is to watch Gravity Falls while I'm killin' dudes.

Having a specific design focus like PoE does makes it a deeper, better game. It also narrows the pool of players.

I was gonna go with a tortured MMO metaphor, but instead, I'm gonna say PoE is an artisenal wood fired pizza with goat cheese and clams on a vodka sauce. It's really really good. It also is not what I want to eat on Saturday night playing fighting games with my buddies.

Also :perfect:

Soothing Vapors posted:

and finally, the real thing I was actually looking for:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There was a Tony Bing Hawkeye video that was like HAWKEYE SURVIVE AT 100 STACKS BUILD and the way he did it was by going in with all the other people in the raid using madame hydra medallions and using an invuln medkit and I think even a revive proc to reach 100 stacks and then immediately having to run to the other sentinel because he was going to die. It looks like it's not on his youtube anymore which is very upsetting.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Nah I got ya - PoE isn't for everyone. It's one of those games you have to play 100% or not play at all.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
TBF, madame medallion stacking, with 2/25% cores and accoc was a really good way of beating axis

It was on my list of red axis strats... when it came out.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Imagine two pizzas

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

"Go on," said Vapors. "How was it, Frank? How did you beat Red Axis?"

"We had a medallion," said Frank. "A yellow one! An' everyone had one. An' a red crystal that made us big and strong. For the AOE phase!"

"For the AOE phase," Vapors repeated.

"And I did the mostest damage. An' I never died."

"An' you did the most damage. And you never died."

There were crashing footsteps in the brush now. Frank giggled with happiness and turned his head.

Vapors said, "No, Frank. Look down there acrost the river, like you can almost see Red Onslaught."

Frank obeyed Vapors. Vapors looked down at the gun.

Frank said, "I thought you was mad at me, Vapors."

"No," said Vapors. "No, Frank. I ain't mad. I never been mad, an' I ain't now. That's a thing I want ya to know."

trem
Sep 17, 2009

Drythe posted:

Imagine two pizzas

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Please continue to post funny and good things from the game. I am laughing a lot. Check it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

malhavok posted:

I cannot describe Marvel Heroes to someone who never played it in a way that makes it sound like a good game, but it completely ruined games like PoE for me. I simply can't force myself to keep trying that game, it feels SO bad and unfun to actually play the game that none of their amazing systems even matter. That's what MH had going for it, you felt like a god drat super hero the entire time you played it.

Sounds like mh is for people who want game shark on 24/7?

I put about 300 hours into mh and stopped like 6 months before it closed. Got bored cause there was no challenge outside of the cosmic trial and cosmic mm. I also never felt character progression in the game. Went from nothing to op as poo poo in an hour. For my stupid mmo brain that doesn't work. I need to feel the progression and then get to that "i'm op as poo poo point" in a bit larger curve instead of an elevator.
I also didn't find seeing how fast I can kill a target dummy as good end game.

I am glad there's two good arpgs out now for two completely different tastes. You have diablo for people who just want to jump in and punch things. Then you have poe for those who want a more complex longer lasting game. It does suck there's no super hero version of diablo for you mh fans.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Please continue to post funny and good things from the game. I am laughing a lot. Check it

the classic:

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Can I get the spreadsheets one pls. You know the one.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Soothing Vapors posted:

"Go on," said Vapors. "How was it, Frank? How did you beat Red Axis?"

"We had a medallion," said Frank. "A yellow one! An' everyone had one. An' a red crystal that made us big and strong. For the AOE phase!"

"For the AOE phase," Vapors repeated.

"And I did the mostest damage. An' I never died."

"An' you did the most damage. And you never died."

There were crashing footsteps in the brush now. Frank giggled with happiness and turned his head.

Vapors said, "No, Frank. Look down there acrost the river, like you can almost see Red Onslaught."

Frank obeyed Vapors. Vapors looked down at the gun.

Frank said, "I thought you was mad at me, Vapors."

"No," said Vapors. "No, Frank. I ain't mad. I never been mad, an' I ain't now. That's a thing I want ya to know."

This was actually really good.

Man, I was so hopeful for raid content. They nerfed Axis, but we had some ideas for red axis. Like hitting through invuls or adding a 3rd sent, i cant remember what else i had. It was a list of stuff to asros. Amthua apprently had a brain map of red axis, but that went along with item budgets.

Edit: I remember looking for those super hard cosmic DR things with like the 100k hp bonus but no heals or something. I would run with colossus and he has the skills that dealt damage based on his max hp and had that armor mechanic. Man, that was fun.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ffs someone dropbox me the server pls. i'll push the loving button myself.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
For how autistic the community was, you'd think someone would have managed to pull off an emulated server :(

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I'm already making extensive posts in note pad that lists all of Wyatt wingfoots possible costumes for his eventual release as a playable on the pirate server

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Keep playing vanilla Grim Dawn vet/hardcore--even alt+f4'd to save my character when I trapped myself on accident by walking the wrong way.

It's not bad, but it just doesn't scratch that MH itch. Not even close :negative:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Remember the time Disney killed Brevik's dog because he mentioned that the Fantastic Four existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

infallible item drop simulator