Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Nm. This derail can go anywhere good

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

THE loving MOON posted:

I forgot a new orochi was coming out soon. I might have to get that one at some point.

Next month I believe. I’m going to wait a bit before picking it up; I haven’t played Hyrule Warriors yet so I’m going to get that. Let some reviews and patches come out for orochi before I buy it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My opinion, like 20,000 people in the entire world of 7 billion will ever interact with this game at all, who gives a gently caress

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Something to mention about Valkyria 4, and something I'm pretty let down that it wasn't changed, is that the game is still extremely pro scout. Your ranking is based solely on how fast you complete a mission, so you're pretty much just running scouts across bases and redeploying slower units to bases further up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Leal posted:

Something to mention about Valkyria 4, and something I'm pretty let down that it wasn't changed, is that the game is still extremely pro scout. Your ranking is based solely on how fast you complete a mission, so you're pretty much just running scouts across bases and redeploying slower units to bases further up.

Does the ranking have a major impact on the game? Like does it lock out items, abilities, or anything else?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Does the ranking have a major impact on the game? Like does it lock out items, abilities, or anything else?

It effects your exp. which means you might need to grind some.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

CharlestheHammer posted:

It effects your exp. which means you might need to grind some.

Not as annoying as it could be. If you enjoy the core gameplay, then playing a few extra missions isn't the end of the world. It will drag out the playing time though just because it's not like you can clear a mission in 30 seconds.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Not as annoying as it could be. If you enjoy the core gameplay, then playing a few extra missions isn't the end of the world. It will drag out the playing time though just because it's not like you can clear a mission in 30 seconds.

You definitely could in Valk 1, what did they change?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

The article isn’t very reactionary? It’s a rather honest showing of the games issues
Not really. The sequence they're talking about is dumb but it isn't something that repeats massively throughout the game, Raz's other stuff is mostly just crass comments and other stuff is just like, 'oh i nearly walked in on the girls in the bath!!' or whatever, the article definitely phrases it like women are constantly getting felt up against their will. iunno, there's def. a dumb undercurrent of sex humor worth criticizing in the game but the article's also very vague and then invokes a ton of real world poo poo to try and make it look extra bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

Not really. The sequence they're talking about is dumb but it isn't something that repeats massively throughout the game, Raz's other stuff is mostly just crass comments and other stuff is just like, 'oh i nearly walked in on the girls in the bath!!' or whatever, the article definitely phrases it like women are constantly getting felt up against their will. iunno, there's def. a dumb undercurrent of sex humor worth criticizing in the game but the article's also very vague and then invokes a ton of real world poo poo to try and make it look extra bad.

I mean I guess that’s a fair criticism but it would seem to depend on whether you personally can tolerate something with regards to whether you will play it up or play it down.

Either way it’s not reactionary in the slightest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also as for the game itself: Turn limits are less tight than they were in VC1 for max exp, so you can take your time a bit more. There's also more varied objectives to try and make scouts less good. Scouts are still the best class, but they're less busted, at least. Besides that, the game is basically just VC1, but more of it. The new class is kinda neat, but realistically you aren't gonna use it a ton.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

My valkyria 1 playstyle is to play however I want regardless of xp and to know I will grind skirmishes for 15 minutes every few levels. I dont like the stress of trying to get S (let alone just using scout rush) so I pay for that with some light grinding.

It's not perfect but this game os so unique that I put up with it. I'd love a mgsv ranking where you can S rank any playstyle as long as you do it well.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Knorth posted:

Wandersong looks super charming, definitely going to pick that up sometime

Alwa's Awakening unlocks in a few days too, so many games coming out....

This is wonderful :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/h2oprism/status/1044459045795454976

cute

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I guess that’s a fair criticism but it would seem to depend on whether you personally can tolerate something with regards to whether you will play it up or play it down.

Either way it’s not reactionary in the slightest.
I definitely think it's a your mileage may vary thing, my issue is more just that the article itself seems more based in delivering a Take than like, presenting more than one example, or having a conversation about the thing itself instead of just linking a bunch of relevant headlines, as if people need context on the concept of sexual harassment. Iunno, it's not a very well-written article. I wouldn't call it a hit piece or anything dumb like that, mind, just not really insightful and might give people a mistaken impression of what the extent of the issues are. Like the guy who has the line about 'keeping his ladies waiting,' is just fooling around and does not actually have a harem of women waiting on him hand and foot, he's just being dramatic in an attempt to be charming, but the article places that line on the same level as the weird sexual harassment joke scene.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

I definitely think it's a your mileage may vary thing, my issue is more just that the article itself seems more based in delivering a Take than like, presenting more than one example, or having a conversation about the thing itself instead of just linking a bunch of relevant headlines, as if people need context on the concept of sexual harassment. Iunno, it's not a very well-written article. I wouldn't call it a hit piece or anything dumb like that, mind, just not really insightful and might give people a mistaken impression of what the extent of the issues are. Like the guy who has the line about 'keeping his ladies waiting,' is just fooling around and does not actually have a harem of women waiting on him hand and foot, he's just being dramatic in an attempt to be charming, but the article places that line on the same level as the weird sexual harassment joke scene.

Yeah that’s fair it definitely could go into more depth about the issues and it does engage in hyperbole a bit to much.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Barudak posted:

You definitely could in Valk 1, what did they change?

I'm just going by what I saw in the Demo. It seemed that even a simple skirmish took a bit of time to move and engage enemies, but maybe there are things that open up later that make them faster.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Endorph posted:

Also as for the game itself: Turn limits are less tight than they were in VC1 for max exp, so you can take your time a bit more. There's also more varied objectives to try and make scouts less good. Scouts are still the best class, but they're less busted, at least. Besides that, the game is basically just VC1, but more of it. The new class is kinda neat, but realistically you aren't gonna use it a ton.

It just makes the other classes feel like a waste of your command points. Scouts just get so much AP to zip around the battlefield that even after using them a second time they can still move further then most classes at full AP, maybe not assaults since they run faster then other classes.

I just want to move my army as a group and not get a C rank telling me I did it wrong.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I got Ultimate Chicken Horse and I think it may be fun with my kids but 2 things:

1] it’s microfuckingscopic on the switch handheld and 2] the controls feel... bad?

Thoughts on the latter?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm just going by what I saw in the Demo. It seemed that even a simple skirmish took a bit of time to move and engage enemies, but maybe there are things that open up later that make them faster.

Store all your ap, move your scout across the entire map, capture the enemy base in one turn.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Leal posted:

It just makes the other classes feel like a waste of your command points. Scouts just get so much AP to zip around the battlefield that even after using them a second time they can still move further then most classes at full AP, maybe not assaults since they run faster then other classes.

I just want to move my army as a group and not get a C rank telling me I did it wrong.
Eh, a lot of the later maps in VC4 can punish you for rushing just one scout ahead. And like I said, the time limits in VC4 are a lot more generous in terms of ranks. I moved everyone together and still got A-ranks, you just have to be kinda efficient about target choices and stuff.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I did the demo skirmish in 1 turn?!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Barudak posted:

Store all your ap, move your scout across the entire map, capture the enemy base in one turn.

You do get smaller move points the more moves you use on one character per turn.

I don’t remember if one did that

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

CharlestheHammer posted:

You do get smaller move points the more moves you use on one character per turn.

I don’t remember if one did that

For most characters yes it did, some (a particular Scout comes to mind) have an ability that negates that, and one that makes them heal more iirc, never finished VC1 though because I lost my save

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

How's the tank building in VC4? I liked VC1 but the options were kinda limited, like, I didn't have any reasons to use the "more cannon rounds" parts and lol Shamrock.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a Valkyria thread? I'm gonna be binging this the next few days and I want to Post Stuff.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Bombadilillo posted:

I did the demo skirmish in 1 turn?!

Barudak posted:

I clearly don't play these games as optimally as I could.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Leave it to Kotaku to publish a useless hundred page article about Nintendo online by some guy who wrote this with a straight face:

quote:

I don’t know about you, but I’m not just addicted to the internet. I have a compulsive need to be connected. When I’m using a device that isn’t, I get nervous and feel an overriding drive to fix whatever problem severed it. When my phone doesn’t have service, I start walking around in circles trying to get it back. I get antsy when I can’t connect to wifi on my laptop at a coffee shop or an airport, whether I need it or not, to the point where I’ll consider getting up and finding a new spot where I’ll be able to get back online. Sometimes there’s a reason why I need the internet, but even when there isn’t, I’m freaking out if I’m disconnected.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
The point of the article is that Nintendo's bad online is helping him to cope with his crippling mental disorder. Help is out there.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

It's the xbone "why would you live there" retort, stretched and reheated.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, there's totally going to be a Bowsette costume in Bayonetta 3, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kiranamos posted:

Leave it to Kotaku to publish a useless hundred page article about Nintendo online by some guy who wrote this with a straight face:

Games journalists really need to find new jobs for their own good.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So, are we all in agreement that the Switch looks like it will be in the running for Nintendo's best console ever?

It already beats the Wii U, Wii, Gamecube, and Nintendo 64 in my eyes.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Looking for a good travel system (dock) for my switch. Any recommendations?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Stumpus posted:

Looking for a good travel system (dock) for my switch. Any recommendations?
Third party docks can brick a Switch due to peculiarities of the USB-C implementation, there are no trustworthy ones anyone will endorse. You can get a small plastic shell and rip the guts out of an official dock if you trust yourself to do that or buy one premade if you trust the seller but there's no good like Nyko equivalent or anything.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

punk rebel ecks posted:

So, are we all in agreement that the Switch looks like it will be in the running for Nintendo's best console ever?

It already beats the Wii U, Wii, Gamecube, and Nintendo 64 in my eyes.

It's definitely better than all those consoles you listed even barely one year into its lifespan. I agree, I think this is some SNES level poo poo we're riding on

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KingSlime posted:

It's definitely better than all those consoles you listed even barely one year into its lifespan. I agree, I think this is some SNES level poo poo we're riding on

That’s good because it doesn’t play SNES level poo poo.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

The Labyrinth of Refrain playtime counter is kind of hilariously bugged and seems to keep ticking up even in sleep mode. Bought it digitally two days ago and my save says I have 50 hours logged, lol

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I hope everyone asking for home menu themes, a browser, and Amazon Echo Microwave integration so your game pauses when your hot pocket is ready remembers how nice and quick the Switch UI was when it fit in less than 200 KB.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

The Labyrinth of Refrain playtime counter is kind of hilariously bugged and seems to keep ticking up even in sleep mode. Bought it digitally two days ago and my save says I have 50 hours logged, lol

It’s the same for “Letter Quest”.

The game shows that I’ve surpassed 14 hours when I have spent, at most, two hours while playing the story mode.

As long as it remembers my highest scoring words I guess it doesn’t matter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yeah I’m not in a rush to have the switch menu be as slow as the PS4’s

• Locked thread