Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

have you considered putting a gold fringe on you plane and a plate saying you are traveling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

baby on board sticker maybe?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Shifty Pony posted:

I suspect that it isn't so much that people are unwilling to play by any business model as it is the "free with ads" model sucks the air out of the room and it is very much in google's interest to make drat sure that no other business model takes hold for search.

it is annoying because the costs and revenue per user isn't crazy large, google (and Facebook, etc) just have such insanely large user bases. running the numbers from 2017 it looks like US revenue at google was roughly $48B annually and there were 280M US internet users. would you pay $15/month to have access to all of Google's desktop and mobile services tracking and ad-free with no AdWords ads displayed anywhere on the internet? I would (if I trusted that they would actually honor it).
You are probably in a targeting demographic that's much more profitable than the average user. English speaking, for instance.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

that’s more work than my job and you do it for fun smh

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

that’s more work than my job and you do it for fun smh

post makes no sense now

no regrets

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

random fun fact: if you ever want to see what it's like to be intercepted by an F-15, just fly over (<3000 feet) any major stadium while a game is in progress

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i love that one lol

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

LastInLine posted:

most people use facebook and use it often
i have seen multiple articles recently refer to facebook as an inescapable utility. as a non-facebook user i assume this is hyperbole but i look at facebook's reported revenue and, uh, hmm...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I escaped facebook circa 2014 and I haven't looked back

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i don't use facebook because i don't support genocide, you all should do the same

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

I escaped facebook circa 2014 and I haven't looked back

I deletrd mine at the beginning of this year and I miss nothing

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i guess the cambridge analytica case provided people with a convenient excuse to stop using facebook without looking like a serial killer

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LastInLine posted:

maybe id pay but im sure not many others would. i also dont know that theres that much actual normal people opposition to tracking and advertising judging by how many people i see browsing the internet without any adblocking at all

i think those who know the extent and depth of things believe that if someone was just made aware of it theyd naturally be revolted by it but i dont necessarily believe thats the case. i think most people are a-ok with it if the services they get in return are seen to have value

if you used the people in this subforum as a reference youd think thered be armed revolution in the streets because the amazon echo exists but it turns out no literally everyone in my office has surveillance speakers throughout their homes because they like them. most people use facebook and use it often

i genuinely think most people are fine with how much theyre tracked and just dont care. i know i dont.

polling seems to contradict your intuition, with people increasingly hating targeted advertising and tracking. people don't like it, but don't have a choice.

even if most don't care, there is definitely a market there and it is quite large just due to scale. if even like 10% of US Facebook users would be willing to spend $10 a month that's $2.6 billion. that's probably a low estimate of the number willing to pay - Spotify has 46% of its user base paying and amazon has 63% on Prime. in any other industry there would be movement to fill that demand, but there is essentially zero movement to serve that market in tech because it is entirely dominated by a few monopolies.

ShadowHawk posted:

You are probably in a targeting demographic that's much more profitable than the average user. English speaking, for instance.

yeah I'm pretty sure that "the most valuable demographics would be the ones who buy out" is part of the reason tech companies don't do direct purchase options. if they priced people's buy-out like they do for advertisers they'd get sued into oblivion. it would take approximately 10 seconds for the "Facebook says white women are more valuable than black men and charges people with medical conditions more to opt out" headlines to hit and 20 seconds for the lawsuits to be announced.

also investors would say "you know, you could charge them and still advertise to them"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Google let's u pay to not see YouTube advertising tho

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

interesting (thats not sarcasm but idk how to make it sound genuine)

i was actually thinking about what you were saying yesterday and i did think of an example i came across of ads that ive seen normal people detest and thats youtube ads. there is a way to pay to opt out of those and its my understanding that its not that popular. ofc idk if google actually advertises the fact that you can pay to get around it like if they tell you before during or after youtube ads that "if you just gave us money..." but knowing google they dont because that would be smart

i know im in a really small minority in that i dont care at all about the tracking and the spying (and in fact quite like it) but i also go out of my way to block all ads so i dont see any of the consequences of that tracking apart from the occasional google survey asking if this web search worked out okay or that location i went to had free parking. some find it creepy but i just find it useful

do you know of any links to nonhysterical materials talking about public feelings toward ad driven services tracking and paid for services? everything ive ever come across has either been luddite or a sv investor fairy tale without anything rational in the middle. id love to read about it from someone without an axe to grind

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Shifty Pony posted:

also investors would say "you know, you could charge them and still advertise to them"

Yeah, the only way you're getting rid of a business model that targets advertising based on PII is to make it absolutely prohibited by law.

Using Google as an example though, they have ~100B a year in revenue, about 90% of that from advertising. So with no advertising you need to replace 90B a year from somewhere. If your answer to that is "monthly user subscriptions" then that means you're going to have a drastically smaller user base. I know lots of highly paid computer touchers are like "good! It's correct and what I want! :mad:" but that ignores the fact that there are hundreds of millions people who either a) $15/mo is a huge part of their income or b) live in a country or economic situation where they can't send electronic payments for subscriptions easily or c) are really totally fine with Google showing them makeup ads based on the fact they searched for makeup, and strongly prefer not to pay. Taking away a bunch of really useful and critical services by legislative fiat is a risky pitch politically.

The roseposter answer to this is "we'll just nationalize google and pay for the data centers with tax money" but that's basically fanfiction about living in a world where that's ever a remotely politically palatable or likely action, and that general populace really wants a GmailFed run by USPS.

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 26, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mrmcd posted:

Yeah, the only way you're getting rid of a business model that targets advertising based on PII is to make it absolutely prohibited by law.

Using Google as an example though, they have ~100B a year in revenue, about 90% of that from advertising. So with no advertising you need to replace 90B a year from somewhere. If your answer to that is "monthly user subscriptions" then that means you're going to have a drastically smaller user base. I know lots of highly paid computer touchers are like "good! It's correct and what I want! :mad:" but that ignores the fact that there are hundreds of millions people who either a) $15/mo is a huge part of their income or b) live in a country or economic situation where they can't send electronic payments for subscriptions easily or c) are really totally fine with Google showing them makeup ads based on the fact they searched for makeup, and strongly prefer not to pay. Taking away a bunch of really useful and critical services by legislative fiat is a risky pitch politically.

The roseposter answer to this is "we'll just nationalize google and pay for the data centers with tax money" but that's basically fanfiction about living in a world where that's ever a remotely politically palatable or likely action, and that general populace really wants a GmailFed run by USPS.

Also kinda hosed up to have the US run global services imo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mrmcd posted:

or c) are really totally fine with Google showing them mattress ads based on the fact they just bought a mattress

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

does youtube let you pay to get rid of all the nazi content they're fine with hosting?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

does youtube let you pay to get rid of all the nazi content they're fine with hosting?

You can do that for free, just set your location to Germany or France

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Gynocentric Regime posted:

You can do that for free, just set your location to Germany or France

that works with you tube too?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
not sure if this belongs here or in apple thread but nice to know timb is keeping the needs of women in mind with his phone designs

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Wheany posted:

i guess the cambridge analytica case provided people with a convenient excuse to stop using facebook without looking like a serial killer

yeah i deleted my first account back in 2010 i think after the news of those psych experiments they were running and got a ton of blowback from my friends and family. eventually relented and set up another one in 2012. now that i've deleted it again no one has given me any lip

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
facebook bad

I deleted my old account and created one just to use messenger. I have a :chome: extension that blocks the news feed when I do visit the site proper

that being said, I still got a little put out that more people didn't wish me a happy birthday. I don't actually care but facebook's negative influence is strong

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
on the other hand, i thought it was real depressing that a bunch of people only knew it was my birthday because the facebook robot told them to tell me happy birthday

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
stopped using fb after my feed turned into a constant stream of article links about whatever anyone is outraged about at that moment.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The Management posted:

stopped using fb after my feed turned into a constant stream of article links about whatever anyone is outraged about at that moment.

:yossame:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ooh, I just got a fishmeched. thanks, I guess. not sure the title is doing justice to my posting style, though

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mrmcd posted:

I have to wonder - if you striped out all the personal data harvesting, the tracking, and the automated algorithmic bidding based on viewer profiles... would the overall advertising spend actually go down any? Would these companies be meaningfully less profitable or would they instead develop equivalently effective ways to base the ad selection entirely on the content being served up?

I guess then you'd have clickbait sites trying to trick you into viewing pages of sleep quality tips to get that sweet sweet mattress ad money.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

on the other hand, i thought it was real depressing that a bunch of people only knew it was my birthday because the facebook robot told them to tell me happy birthday

because of a thinking error i did a lot of g+ and now my calendar has goon bdays like every day of the year but with their actual and not user names

aka totally worthless information, can't even buy a forums upgrade for... Chris Manghane

Chris if you're reading this pm me for free archives

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

syscall girl posted:

because of a thinking error i did a lot of g+ and now my calendar has goon bdays like every day of the year but with their actual and not user names

aka totally worthless information, can't even buy a forums upgrade for... Chris Manghane

this is hilarious

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

syscall girl posted:

lmao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Management posted:

ooh, I just got a fishmeched. thanks, I guess. not sure the title is doing justice to my posting style, though

it's cool that everyone is getting their own text color

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

that works with you tube too?

AFAICT, I don't see open Nazi content anymore.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

I have to wonder - if you striped out all the personal data harvesting, the tracking, and the automated algorithmic bidding based on viewer profiles... would the overall advertising spend actually go down any? Would these companies be meaningfully less profitable or would they instead develop equivalently effective ways to base the ad selection entirely on the content being served up?

I guess then you'd have clickbait sites trying to trick you into viewing pages of sleep quality tips to get that sweet sweet mattress ad money.

I suspect that all this tracking does is extract money that used to be going to the outlet that shows the ads and spreads it across google/fb plus hundreds of middleman companies and data brokers. total ad spending is up, billboards and other outdoor rates are crazy up and those are the opposite of individually targeted

basically it's all churn and the only outcome is every newspaper is going out of business and getting bought by tronc/sinclair/benevolent billionaire overlords

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

I suspect that all this tracking does is extract money that used to be going to the outlet that shows the ads and spreads it across google/fb plus hundreds of middleman companies and data brokers. total ad spending is up, billboards and other outdoor rates are crazy up and those are the opposite of individually targeted

basically it's all churn and the only outcome is every newspaper is going out of business and getting bought by tronc/sinclair/benevolent billionaire overlords

yeah it just routes mattress companies' ad budgets from newspapers to adtech companies

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
http://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm#fatads required reading

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i've read this several times since it first showed up and it's good, the whole talk is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

qirex posted:

that's about right. publishers often get cents on the dollar of the adspend. If anyone is interested I can try to whip up an effort post but the topic brings me back to an unpleasant part of my working life.

• Locked thread