Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I can't believe the voting disparity. Also, Itoh should avoid any confrontation with Meiko given what she said about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

I can't believe the voting disparity. Also, Itoh should avoid any confrontation with Meiko given what she said about her.

I really thought the gap would close up as more shows went on. (Voting is open to DDT subscribers and anyone who attends a DDT show, not a TJPW show) but she's got as many votes as her nearest contender got since the initial announcement of online voting.

I'm mostly surprised by how badly Jun Kasai is doing. He always seems to be the most popular guy on any show I see him on and he did extremely well on Number Magazine's wrestling popularity contest. He was one of a few non-NJPW wrestlers to make the top 20. (The others were mostly Joshi like Hana, Kairi or Io and then Nakamura)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/Fightclubpro/status/1044599158819246080?s=19

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Joshi Goddess Demands More White Woman Blood

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Rhia is going to do so well in Sendai.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Was quite impressed by most of the last MYC episode. Solid fights and I think they're doing good work making even the women who don't make it past round 1 look interesting. Jinny took some impressive bumps, reminded me a bit of Layla.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Oh poo poo, does the lady in the bottom-left have a Foley gimmick?

And does the lady in the middle-right have a... baby bottle gimmick? What the gently caress?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Bottom Left is Dash Chisako and not to my knowledge, she is an entertaining wrestler though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dash's gimmick is kind of more badass hitting everyone with chairs. She also has music that plays whenever her matches spill outside the ring.

Sakura Hirota is kinda just the Joshi YTR

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Dash's gimmick was literally "I want to be Jeff Hardy" and you could tell by her outfit. I haven't seen her in about 5 years but she still looks about the same.

Sounds like she moved on from Attitude Era Hardy Boyz and found ECW

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I just watched a Sendai Girls show where Dash teamed with KAORU in a trios match and their pairing really reminded me of Diesel and HBK with KAORU as Diesel and Dash as HBK.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Conte has been taking evil lessons from Pete Dunne, I like it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm really digging Hiroyo Matsumoto's energy, it's contagious

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Holy crap the contact on that moonsault to end the Shirai/Brookside match was BRUTAL.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Rachel Evers has acquitted herself well from last year's debacle. though Matsumoto is far and away the woman who deserved her win. Also I was surprised that Io's match was kind of a squash, but I don't mind it because it's IO.

Middle two matches were kind of ehh and heatless but Conti got a decent win at least.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this episode and I'm hyped for the next round!!!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Io just fuckin' murdered a white girl.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Three of the for matches were brutal as hell. Can't wait for Toni Storm and Hiroyo. Should be a barnburner.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Dias posted:

Io just fuckin' murdered a white girl.

You forgot the best part. Io was smiling the entire goddamn time as well. :allears:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DarkstarIV posted:

You forgot the best part. Io was smiling the entire goddamn time as well. :allears:

I like how it comes across not as a "I'm happy I'm murdering girls" smile like Asuka's, but more like "I guess I gotta smile for the crowd. God, I'm good, hold these knees".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hiroyo/Rachel was absolutely brutal, god drat. I liked Conti's new aggression levels against Jessie but the match was still quite blah and she needs new music badly. Nicole/Isla was pretty bad and made worse by the dead crowd but I like Isla's gimmick and I love that they subtitled her accent. Io/Xia was good but at the same time I was kinda expecting more cause it was Io's debut match but that moonsault was hella stiff.

Based on the talent that's gone through the next round should be lit. I'm most hyped for Meiko/Mercedes and Toni/Hiroyo.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Holy crap the contact on that moonsault to end the Shirai/Brookside match was BRUTAL.

People live thought Xia got Liv Morgan'd.

But I don't think Xia was any way injured. Was back working the indies right after the MYC.

In terrible news via the Observer:

quote:

Nicole Matthews, who just worked the Mae Young Classic, had issues coming across the border recently and is now like Mike Bailey, where she is banned from coming to the U.S. for five years.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

God drat, that's harsh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's real easy to get banned from the US coming from Canada under Trump now.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
As easy as it is to blame him for everything, this has nothing to do with Trump. Seleziya Sparx was banned in 2015 for the same reason. The process of shuttling wrestlers across the border has always been pretty shady, and if you listen to various wrestling podcasts (there were a few examples from Colt's that were pretty amusing) you can hear the hassle that they have to go through to try to fast talk the border agents (on either side) to let them through with just a passport or travel visa. Unless you work for WWE or Impact, chances are that you're just going to have to try to sneak through the border and hope nobody notices that you've got wrestling gear with you or recognizes you, which probably didn't help Nicole in this case because she's been on WWE TV for a couple months now.

Which makes it doubly awful for her, because her profile has never been higher, but she's stuck working the Canadian indie scene for what very well might be the rest of her career.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah wrestlers lie about going over to work all the time, probably more now because it became harder to get a work Visa. It was always difficult, it's worse now.

They didn't actually say why she was banned though. People are getting banned for working for companies that are involved in legal marijuana now, regardless of their individual job and whether they even work for that subsidiary.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/nmatthewsninja/status/1045360919746830337

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Oh man, I have a couple of questions now because of this topic so please bear with me.

Does Matthews not want to work in Japan or Europe? It may not pay as much but it's still work?

I wonder if one of the indie feds would be willing to give temporary work visas and let the wrestler work in the US for a bit for different feds as a gesture of good will. Would that be too expensive or something else stopping that from happening?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1LWmVhXtMc

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

Oh man, I have a couple of questions now because of this topic so please bear with me.

Does Matthews not want to work in Japan or Europe? It may not pay as much but it's still work?

I wonder if one of the indie feds would be willing to give temporary work visas and let the wrestler work in the US for a bit for different feds as a gesture of good will. Would that be too expensive or something else stopping that from happening?

I mean, she probably will now I guess?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Was just wondering.

Excited for Toni/Hiroyo and Mercedes/Meiko.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Nicole has been working in the UK recently for the increasingly influential Pro Wrestling Eve promotion.

Nicole/her career is a pretty interesting topic. Pro Wrestling isn't her primary thing in life like it is for a lot of Pro Wrestlers. Somewhat a product of her time in terms of coming up the model/Johnny Ace era. She has a good IRL job too.

Besides the border, most of her career promoters didn't see the value in flying female wrestlers in.

Even given the adversity and practicality issue she has faced I think her slacker attitude has held her back/there's a degree of self-sabotage about it all. I don't like ripping on her as she has always been friendly to me and my friends. She has had some of the best matches in SHIMMER Wrestling history, a great match psychologist and people like Bayley, Becky Lynch etc rep her really hard. Fortunately/, unfortunately, her ban has made the choice easy for her options wise.

In terms of a US work Visa. They are very hard to acquire in Wrestling. A Wrestling promotion has to become a real company, go "legit" in terms of declaring everything, earn a level of revenue and then file all the Visa paperwork.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Thanks for that info, Rovert. Maybe she has that slack attitude because she knows that wrestling isn't her whole life. Good on her then.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TV Zombie posted:

Excited for Toni/Hiroyo and Mercedes/Meiko.

Mia/Kaitlyn also looking real tasty

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Thanks for that info, Rovert. Maybe she has that slack attitude because she knows that wrestling isn't her whole life. Good on her then.

For sure. But I think that operates on a spectrum and time can change your outlook. Also seeing contemporaries getting signed. I don't think anyone is fixed to one feeling or outlook.

NXT and the MYC have made up for lost/wasted time hiring policy-wise. But I do very sincerely think Nicole's tag team with Portia Perez - The Canadian Ninjas could have been the female New Day on a WWE level if WWE wasn't so regressive in terms of what they look for talent wise 5+ years ago.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

rovert posted:

NXT and the MYC have made up for lost/wasted time hiring policy-wise.

This makes me real curious about the January NXT class and who may sign up.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Rachel Evers vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto

"I am... LADY GODZILLA." Hell yeah! Matsumoto's got a great look and interesting music, too. I cringed when I heard Cole say "SHE JUST LOVES HAVING FUN," though, that's never a good sign.

I thought Rachel Evers was really generic last year, and that hasn't changed much. Like someone else whom I've already forgotten from the first few episodes, she seems like a worse Tessa Blanchard. She also had the saddest powerbomb I've ever seen. To be fair, Hiroyo Matsumoto's big clothesline near the end seemed to have nothing behind it, either.

Overall, the timing here felt pretty off and I felt like a lot of the spots weren't done that well. I am looking forward to watching Matsumoto wrestle Toni Storm, though.

Jessie Elaban vs. Taynara Conti

OK, I love Elaban. She's got that Kate Nash vibe and I'm all about it. She feels like a split between AJ Lee and Bayley. Her music super doesn't fit, though, I don't get it. I think she could probably use another year of development in terms of her ring work, but I could see her being part of the next group of NXT women.

I remember Conti being promising but raw last year. I think she's grown, it seemed to me like she was calling the match. Her character work seemed a lot farther along, too.

The crowd was not into the match at all, though, so that was disappointing.

Nicole Matthews vs. Isla Dawn

I heard that Matthews got banned from the country due to visa issues or something, so that sucks. Matthews is another person whom I don't really want to see wrestle more, though, she's in that same bucket as Evers in terms of just not being that interesting. She also needs better ring gear, she was fighting with her pants for half the match. I thought her lion tamer looked pretty good, though.

Isla Dawn's got a great vibe and gimmick. I'm surprised she lost, but she might be similar to Elaban in that she could use some more time to develop her ring work.

Io Shirai vs. Xia Brookside

I hadn't seen Io wrestle before, so I've definitely looked forward to this. Her music also didn't really feel like a good fit to me, but I don't know what her character's supposed to be like all that well, so maybe I'm wrong. Io looked so loving cocky this whole match and it was terrific. Is she going to be a heel? I'd love to see her wrestle, well, most of the main roster. It's very apparent that she's leagues ahead of most of the women in the tournament. I'm looking forward to her getting Zeuxis out of the tournament as quickly as possible.

Brookside was given the "no chance in loving hell" spot, which is tough, but I'm putting her in that same Elaban and Dawn spot of "could be big in the next 2 years." I mentioned after the second or third episode that I didn't think this year had the same number of breakout stars as the first tournament, but I think this one might have more budding stars. She seems like the good-twin version of Ruby Riott.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
With you on Ellering, surf rock. Always had the makings of a good work but she hasn't really evolved much in the past year.

If she is in MYC III and the announcers/people generally are still overly talking about her being trained by Lance Storm or saying the really irritating "Queen of Strong Smile" handle I'll scream.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Time to cover one's ears.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Time to cover one's ears.

I hope she doesn't become one of those wrestlers that everyone - fans and wrestlers are too scared to criticise/critique at all because she's genuinely really nice and connected with Kassius Ohno.

Will be interesting who has better career her or Tessa Blanchard. Tessa has had character building-ly bad press and is on her way to shoving it down people's throats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does she use Evers because Lance was her trainer, or is that a coincidence?