Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xun posted:

Woaahhh I had no idea they could be used that way. Speaking of TE is there a fast way to get the servos off the various TE pipes that does not involve breaking and replacing them? Kind of annoying when I’m upgrading that crap

Right click (do not sneak) with a crescent hammer. This also works to break and form connections between pipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005
TE and its various counterparts is the best suite of mods ever. They keep everything tight and actually listen to the community.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm aware this is something that actual literal 8 year olds know how to do, but how do you build a mob grinder in Stoneblock? Most of the ones I'm familiar with use water, of which i have none.

In a related matter, how do I get water in Stoneblock? I presume one the 200 mods will let me turn bones into water buckets or something.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Cicadalek posted:

I'm aware this is something that actual literal 8 year olds know how to do, but how do you build a mob grinder in Stoneblock? Most of the ones I'm familiar with use water, of which i have none.

In a related matter, how do I get water in Stoneblock? I presume one the 200 mods will let me turn bones into water buckets or something.

if there's a hole in the tower that leads to a death trap they'll eventually fall in, adding water channels just greatly increases the chances of them falling in

check clay, generally there's a way to make a clay bucket; if it has ex nihilo, that adds wooden barrels that can do various things and if they're outside & uncovered when it rains they fill with water

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Cicadalek posted:

Make a wooden crucible and stuff it full of sheared leaves (wooden shears work well for this) or excess saplings. It'll "melt" into water. It can hold one bucket at a time; use a bucket, clay or iron, to bail it out into half of what will be your 2x2 infinite water source.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Cicadalek posted:

Mobs will wander into open trap doors and fall through them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The quest book in Stoneblock is pretty light. It definitely helps to have some existing knowledge on stuff, especially things like Ex Nihilo. Like, there's a super early, no-RF power way to automate sifting, but if you hadn't played Exoria you might not know. The wooden crucible thing, and so on.

This is the Auto Sifter from Ex Nihilo Creatio.

I still need to make a vacuumulator for it, though.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Yeah, this was a poor choice for my first progression pack. I went back to vanilla 1.13.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The quest book in Stoneblock is pretty light. It definitely helps to have some existing knowledge on stuff, especially things like Ex Nihilo. Like, there's a super early, no-RF power way to automate sifting, but if you hadn't played Exoria you might not know. The wooden crucible thing, and so on.

This is the Auto Sifter from Ex Nihilo Creatio.

I still need to make a vacuumulator for it, though.

Note: for every water wheel you have on the axle, it gets faster. In Exoria I chained 16 of them together and didn't see any diminishing returns. It seems to be linear, so my setup was going 16x faster than one water wheel.
Also the wheels don't care about what direction the water is flowing, or even how much water there is. You can use one water block per... 15 wheels?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 23, 2018

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

When you're putting together your own modpack, what's the easiest way to find the duplicate ores, and what's the best way to eliminate dupes outside of editing the configs?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

When you're putting together your own modpack, what's the easiest way to find the duplicate ores, and what's the best way to eliminate dupes outside of editing the configs?

Load the game with the mods that provide ores and JEI. Input "ore" into the search field. Et voila.

As for eliminating dupes without touching configs, good luck. If you have Thermal Foundation, you can use its worldgen configs to force specific ores to gen. Just make sure you turn off gen for your dupe ores in the other mods.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

Load the game with the mods that provide ores and JEI. Input "ore" into the search field. Et voila.

As for eliminating dupes without touching configs, good luck. If you have Thermal Foundation, you can use its worldgen configs to force specific ores to gen. Just make sure you turn off gen for your dupe ores in the other mods.
That's how I was doing it before; I was just wondering if there was a different way.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I added Refined Storage to Enigmatica 2 Expert because gently caress AE2, but there doesn't seem to be a recipe for crafting patterns in JEI. Anyone know what's going on here?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Jumping back in to mc for a bit, should i do enigmatica2 normal or expert?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's how I was doing it before; I was just wondering if there was a different way.

Nope, that's pretty much it. I have a bunch of COFH ore configs I used for Progress on 1.12 you can use as a starting point if you want. Of course, that will only apply if you're using the same (or similar) mods that generate ore.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

Normal is a regular sandbox tons-o-mods modpack, Expert is what has progression and such. There's also Expert: Skyblock if that's to your fancy.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Meskhenet posted:

Mr.Boofu has an Expert server going in PGS if multiplayer's your fancy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Taffer posted:

Nope, that's pretty much it. I have a bunch of COFH ore configs I used for Progress on 1.12 you can use as a starting point if you want. Of course, that will only apply if you're using the same (or similar) mods that generate ore.
Yeah, probably not because I'm back doing my "minimize overlapping mods also keep it to 100 mods max" modpack idea.

Speaking of which, another question: do I need both InstantUnify and UniDict? They seem like they do the same thing.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Black Pants posted:

Normal is a regular sandbox tons-o-mods modpack, Expert is what has progression and such. There's also Expert: Skyblock if that's to your fancy.

Or do what I did and install a Skylands generator and play Expert with real landmasses because I have a problem. Just restarted an expert pack from halfway through. :(

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I guess the water thing in Stoneblock was a common complaint, as there was a quest added for how to get water. :v:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

cool thanks

Just trying the normal atm.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/gregblock

:stonklol:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

quote:

...and has more play-time than any pack with 100 content mods.

"play-time"

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I've heard stories about GregTech but can someone give me the lowdown on how... special it is?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I just found out about GT6. Apparently the early game ore smelting block is a crucible with no UI, that kills you if you try to interact with it when it's hot. You can swim in lava without being instantly killed but if you burn your hand you die apparently.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Super Jay Mann posted:

I've heard stories about GregTech but can someone give me the lowdown on how... special it is?

you know how ic2 has a bunch of intermediate crafting bullshit, delicate machinery with strict voltage requirements (and explosions upon failing to obey them), and other fiddly mechanics like randomly destroying machines even when you use the proper tool to harvest them?

gregtech saw all that and said "what if the entire mod had two orders of magnitude more of that"

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

you know how ic2 has a bunch of intermediate crafting bullshit, delicate machinery with strict voltage requirements (and explosions upon failing to obey them), and other fiddly mechanics like randomly destroying machines even when you use the proper tool to harvest them?

gregtech saw all that and said "what if the entire mod had two orders of magnitude more of that"

So it's a Minecraft mod for people who hate Minecraft and themselves?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Super Jay Mann posted:

So it's a Minecraft mod for people who hate Minecraft and themselves?

pretty much

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Gregtech (well, GT5 at least, I don't have experience with GT6) has neat ore generation and very cool ore processing with a lot of flexibility in optimizing for byproducts. Unfortunately it's dragged screaming into the abyss by hellish time sinks, too many crafting steps, and there's the whole "make one mistake with cables, blow up your entire base" thing. There are ways to reduce risk like keeping each voltage to a completely separate room but there's always the chance you'll slap down a new machine in the wrong room and blow everything up.
It's like Greg heard about voltage overloads but completely ignored the existence of fuses, circuit breakers, and grounding circuits.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 25, 2018

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Aren't a lot of the "design decisions" in gregtech essentially based in "I've (Greg) been cheating my rear end off, but people on my server are starting to catch up to me, so I must make everything take longer with more steps and resources"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

is there any name more pedantic than greg

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Light Gun Man posted:

Aren't a lot of the "design decisions" in gregtech essentially based in "I've (Greg) been cheating my rear end off, but people on my server are starting to catch up to me, so I must make everything take longer with more steps and resources"

That was what started this whole nonsense but then it turns out there's a subset of people who like tedium so the insanity continued on from there.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Gregtech has an interesting, outrageously convoluted tech tree that in itself wouldn't be that egregious if it didn't have some hilariously depressingly blatant "what if we assign this variable some COMPLETELY UTTERLY loving INSANE value just for the hell of it" bullshit. Except it's not for the hell of it, it's so you can be made to spend literally dozens of hours grinding a singular material for no better reason than the author's batshit notion of the tax you should pay in time wasted to move forward.

It does add a ludicrous number of intermediate crafting steps to everything, but that's a tedium you can get around with other mods, Forestry's workbench and digital storage mods rating highly among them. Unfortunately, said number of intermediate crafting steps is just the tip of the iceberg for everything else that's hopelessly hosed up about the mod.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Now, you *can* mitigate the timesink issues by building multiple EBFs and overclocking them with some hugely upscaled power generation setup, but in the end it's still unreasonable.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The biggest problem with Gregtech's somewhat novel ore distribution was what TerrafirmaCraft had but even worse: you find one deposit and you're set pretty much forever on that metal, but some deposits are incredibly rare and prospecting is a crapshoot at absolute best, so be prepared to just stripmine through 40 chunks in a row and find nothing but another zinc deposit.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I didn't mind that aspect so much in GTNH, but that was by no fault of Gregtech's. GTNH is a glorious monstrosity in so many ways that if some enterprising modder just went through and absolutely gutted the shameless timesink aspects of Gregtech, what you'd be left with is a modpack I could play for literally years without getting tired of it because it's nothing short of a masterpiece in every other way. Maybe you can even do that with config edits! Something I should look into sometime.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Toadsmash posted:

I didn't mind that aspect so much in GTNH, but that was by no fault of Gregtech's. GTNH is a glorious monstrosity in so many ways that if some enterprising modder just went through and absolutely gutted the shameless timesink aspects of Gregtech, what you'd be left with is a modpack I could play for literally years without getting tired of it because it's nothing short of a masterpiece in every other way. Maybe you can even do that with config edits! Something I should look into sometime.

this would be the garfield without garfield of modpacks

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Accurate

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

The biggest problem with Gregtech's somewhat novel ore distribution was what TerrafirmaCraft had but even worse: you find one deposit and you're set pretty much forever on that metal, but some deposits are incredibly rare and prospecting is a crapshoot at absolute best, so be prepared to just stripmine through 40 chunks in a row and find nothing but another zinc deposit.

In GT5 there's a dedicated block for finding ore-- the Seismic Prospector. It works pretty well. It's basically an automated way of taking a core sample(size 5x5), and if you know where to put it (gregtech spawns ore in a grid, every third chunk) and methodically check all the spots near your base, you can generally find the ore you're looking for without much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Oh hey, GTNH chatter. My number one favorite modpack that brings me back down the rabbit hole every six months or so. This beautiful bastard of a pack does cool poo poo like gating thaumcraft around your GT tier AND twilight forest boss progression. For anyone who like those "expert" packs (i.e. you can deal with a grindy bullshit fest while ramping a crazy automated base), it's just the best.

If you give it a shot, please, please cheat yourself a Prospector's Scanner. Like if you run a server please stuff a chest full of them or in single player just NEI cheat it in. The best tier one scans a 17x17 chunk area and shows you every ore in that grid. The ore veins in GT5 are 3x3 chunks that run about 8 blocks high with 4 different ores per vein. Given that you 100% must find at least one variety of copper/iron vein, a tin vein, a redstone vein, and a diamond/coal vein, you save yourself about ten hours of tedious digging and sampling.

I also recommend being very free with journeymap teleports since you do a shitton of wandering around looking for veins and some surface features.

The quest book is massive and very detailed for the early game through steam progression + the first couple voltage tiers, and the guy is still updating and pushing the quests deeper into crazytown.

If anyone's interested, I can do a write-up of some of the tips'n'tricks I've picked up on my countless runs through the pack, like different options for power sources (my latest venture is a giant multiblock oven that converts stacks of wood into butane gas for my turbines), shortcuts and different tricks for automation and resource production.

And for gently caress's sake, disable the exploding machines in the configs.