Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Are those DV models, specifically the pair of leaders and heavy weapons, only available in the second-hand market?

Pretty sure they're from DV and heavy weapons and the leader are nowadays only available via ebay until they decide to repackage all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I imagine they're a bunch of hive Cajuns and it's pronounced "Day-lawkes" like how chef Justin Wilson would murder the word "Daleks."

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are my options for miniatures if I want to make Chaos Cultist kill-team? I see that Games Workshop sells a ~$15 5 miniature press-fit box, but it doesn't seem to have the same range as the miniatures featured in Dark Vengeance. Are those DV models, specifically the pair of leaders and heavy weapons, only available in the second-hand market?

Yes, the press-fit ones are the rank-and-files from the Dark Vengeance box but they've never re-issued the leaders or the heavies.

I always wish I could learn more about the story behind the cultist figs, they're good sculpts and my feeling is that they were designed as multipart release that just never happened and I've always wondered why.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Bad original sprue placement. Easier to just ignore the problem of players with no access to options for their cultists than retool an expensive steel mold just for them.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
For what it’s worth, the rumor is that Chaos Uprising is the next step for Necromunda after the Delaqs. So the chaos cultist problem could be solved at that point.

The issue with the Dark Vengeance sprues seems to just be that they weren’t engineered with future-proofing in mind, and making a new steel mold is expensive.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 26, 2018

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I did some 'quick' fire warriors, only took 2 weeks of off and on painting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm surprised DV didn't just get relaunched as Start Collecting: The Fallen.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh man Dark Vengence was like "Word Bearers can never get anything nice" 101

GW: Ok, we can only give Possessed as troops to one CSM legion, who's it gonna be?
WB: ...:smug:
GW: Meet the Crimson Slaughter!
WB: :shepicide:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

R0ckfish posted:

I like that color scheme and the bases are so evocative, it's great.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Schadenboner posted:

Oh man Dark Vengence was like "Word Bearers can never get anything nice" 101

GW: Ok, we can only give Possessed as troops to one CSM legion, who's it gonna be?
WB: ...:smug:
GW: Meet the Crimson Slaughter!
WB: :shepicide:

"X unit is a troops choice" is horribly under utilized this edition. Crisis Suits for Farsight Enclaves, Assault Marines for Blood Angels. gently caress it, Sentinels or something for Tallarn, Veterans for Cadians.

The possibilities are endless and it's not like they're horrifically unbalanced.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

R0ckfish posted:

Cool scheme and really neat bases, dude.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Had my first ever game against tau tonight

Battle Report:

gently caress Tau

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Strobe posted:

"X unit is a troops choice" is horribly under utilized this edition. Crisis Suits for Farsight Enclaves, Assault Marines for Blood Angels. gently caress it, Sentinels or something for Tallarn, Veterans for Cadians.

The possibilities are endless and it's not like they're horrifically unbalanced.

I agree. However: GW making cult troops a choice for the Legions is a good start, and them putting through this change in an FAQ (I *think* that's where it was, I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the codex?) gives hope that more is possible?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Wouldn't chaos legions be grossly outnumbered now that there are supermarines running around everywhere being immune to chaos?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Schadenboner posted:

I agree. However: GW making cult troops a choice for the Legions is a good start, and them putting through this change in an FAQ (I *think* that's where it was, I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the codex?) gives hope that more is possible?

Here's hoping. The list of things you could do for flavorful list building is pretty big, especially for units that right now don't offer a whole lot of reason to take:

Crisis Suits for Farsight Enclaves (if you want to make competition for Gunline Tau, this is probably how it starts)
Assault Marines for Blood Angels
Terminators for Dark Angels
Sentinels for Tallarn Raiders
Veterans for Cadians
Raveners for Jormungandr

Off the top of my head, and there's no doubt a dozen more that I'm not familiar enough with other factions to identify.

Missed opportunity. :(

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

DotyManX posted:

Had my first ever game against tau tonight

Battle Report:

gently caress Tau

I hear you. It’s such a miserable army to play against.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

JBP posted:

Wouldn't chaos legions be grossly outnumbered now that there are supermarines running around everywhere being immune to chaos?

since when are Primaris immune to chaos? so far the only claimed immunity was to a chapter's flaws (which is obviously bullshit)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are my options for miniatures if I want to make Chaos Cultist kill-team? I see that Games Workshop sells a ~$15 5 miniature press-fit box, but it doesn't seem to have the same range as the miniatures featured in Dark Vengeance. Are those DV models, specifically the pair of leaders and heavy weapons, only available in the second-hand market?

Genestealer Cults, Imperial Guard, House Cawdor, DV Cultists. Pretty much.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OhDearGodNo posted:

since when are Primaris immune to chaos? so far the only claimed immunity was to a chapter's flaws (which is obviously bullshit)

I always took it as (not immune poor wording) primaris being less susceptible because of the gene flaws being ironed out. Maybe I'm just wrong.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

JBP posted:

I always took it as (not immune poor wording) primaris being less susceptible because of the gene flaws being ironed out. Maybe I'm just wrong.

I'm sure that'll be the case if they need to sell more. but then again I play the only chapter without any flaws.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm sure that'll be the case if they need to sell more. but then again I play the only chapter without any flaws.

Yeah I play Emperor's Children too.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

JBP posted:

The legions were fuckhuge compared to the size of chapters post-heresy. They are also recruiting from cultists and recent traitor marines. Occasionally entire marine companies and even a whole chapter will turn traitor as well.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I thought falling to chaos was a choice. You learn that the Imperium lies about everything and that chaos is nigh undefeatable and has their fingers in every pie so gently caress it cant beat em join em. in order to make something that cant fall to chaos youd have to lobotomize them and even that might not work.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Strobe posted:

Here's hoping. The list of things you could do for flavorful list building is pretty big, especially for units that right now don't offer a whole lot of reason to take:

Crisis Suits for Farsight Enclaves (if you want to make competition for Gunline Tau, this is probably how it starts)
Assault Marines for Blood Angels
Terminators for Dark Angels
Sentinels for Tallarn Raiders
Veterans for Cadians
Raveners for Jormungandr

Off the top of my head, and there's no doubt a dozen more that I'm not familiar enough with other factions to identify.

Missed opportunity. :(

Absolutely a missed opportunity. In fairness to GW, there wasn't a pressing need for this until the Rule of 3 came along. The Rule of 3 was a hack solution, albeit a necessary one too. What needed to go with it was a list of exceptions. But the Rule of 3 was itself such a last minute addition to the February FAQ they didn't do the list. Making those exceptions troop choices to avoid the rule is an elegant solution factoring in objective secured. No more single cultists seizing an objective from a squad of Deathwing Terminators.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hihohe posted:

I thought falling to chaos was a choice. You learn that the Imperium lies about everything and that chaos is nigh undefeatable and has their fingers in every pie so gently caress it cant beat em join em. in order to make something that cant fall to chaos youd have to lobotomize them and even that might not work.

Marines undergo psycho-conditioning and my understanding is that Primaris have a superior version to go with superior bodies.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Tanks and robots and ordinary household appliances can fall to Chaos. It’s not always about being seduced to the Dark Side, sometimes Dark Side just rams a hand up your butt and starts playing Sesame Street.

Also I’m gonna laugh and laugh if all these Primaris Marines kept on ice start going Thunder Warriors 2.0 and have serious mental problems and rage issues that slowly show up because they’re not supposed to live beyond a certain point.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah; I'm worried they won't be brave enough to go there from a plot POV, but I really, really hope Cawl, and all his creations are flawed to fuuuuuuuuck.

Bonus points if they lean in on the "CAWL TOTALLY DID NOT *WINK WINK* USE THE TRAITOR LEGION GENESEEDS TO TEST WITH *WINK WINK* OH NO* storyline.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Shockeh posted:

Yeah; I'm worried they won't be brave enough to go there from a plot POV, but I really, really hope Cawl, and all his creations are flawed to fuuuuuuuuck.

Bonus points if they lean in on the "CAWL TOTALLY DID NOT *WINK WINK* USE THE TRAITOR LEGION GENESEEDS TO TEST WITH *WINK WINK* OH NO* storyline.

I really want there to be traitor gene out there littered throughout ever primaris outfit, so rather than having chapters/legions go bad, there are these ticking timebombs in every single squad of every single chapter.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Has there been any word yet on what the release date will be for the Commanders kill team expansion?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JBP posted:

I really want there to be traitor gene out there littered throughout ever primaris outfit, so rather than having chapters/legions go bad, there are these ticking timebombs in every single squad of every single chapter.

Why worry? All the loyal smolbois will have to do is get inside a rhino or a land raider...

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I want them to make a nod to the various fan-concepts, and have Primaris Chapters from loyalist geneseed go rogue, whilst somehow it becomes more and more obvious that ostensibly loyal Primaris Chapters are borne from Traitor geneseed, and it's not something inherent; A good nod to the nature/nurture debate that has been part of the 40k canon since RT.

"Oh, the Noctis Regere? Yeah, they're fine. I mean, they wear the skins of their enemies, and have taken to terrorising populations, but only BAD ones, so that's fine."
"The War Hounds Chapter? Bit savage, but incredibly loyal."

"Woops, this White Scar Primaris Chapter went AWOL!" :v:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Shockeh posted:

"Oh, the Noctis Regere? Yeah, they're fine. I mean, they wear the skins of their enemies, and have taken to terrorising populations, but only BAD ones, so that's fine."
"The War Hounds Chapter? Bit savage, but incredibly loyal."

I mean that's basically just the Blood Angels and some of the others. Every so often a Blood Angels successor chapter just, you know, eats everyone on the battlefield. Friend and foe. There's really no "down" from there. As long as they are killing a nominal amount more traitors and xenos than loyal citizens the Imperium would call it a win.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Schadenboner posted:

Why worry? All the loyal smolbois will have to do is get inside a rhino or a land raider...

They have mega plasma guns, krak nades, flying babies with plasma cannons and walking babies wearing double fists though.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Mulva posted:

I mean that's basically just the Blood Angels and some of the others. Every so often a Blood Angels successor chapter just, you know, eats everyone on the battlefield. Friend and foe. There's really no "down" from there. As long as they are killing a nominal amount more traitors and xenos than loyal citizens the Imperium would call it a win.

Sure, but at least the Blood Angels either feel bad about it or hide it; The Night Lords effectively mic drop on the planet like 'Fuckin' yeah you're terrified, WHAT'S UP FUCKERS?'

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JBP posted:

They have mega plasma guns, krak nades, flying babies with plasma cannons and walking babies wearing double fists though.

I mean, it was really a "You must be this short to ride" joke but :shrug:.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Did any Night Lords ever turn around like "I don't know about this guys, this seems like it's a bit much"?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is there an in-universe reason that the Genestealers from the Genestealer Cults are colored in the Blue-and-Purple Space Hulk theme (as are the genestealery bits of the cultists) while hive fleet Genestealers take on the coloration of their hive fleet?

It’s even this way for the Cults which are directly connected with a specific hive fleet (Sons of Jormungandr and the Hivecult that’s singing-in Leviathan) meaning that (presumably) the patriarch would be of that particular fleet?

E: Also Four-Armed Emperor is presumably Behemothoid (based on the coloration) as are the ones who worship Old One Eye on Ultramar?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 26, 2018

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I’d assume all the human DNA fucks with the Tyranid colors.

Possibly also just some sort of skin problem from lovely living conditions in mines and hives.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

Did any Night Lords ever turn around like "I don't know about this guys, this seems like it's a bit much"?

There were atleast a few bands of loyalist night lords in the heresy they are in the black books. There’s no information on if they survived till the end.

I guess kheron ophion might count, was known as the coward mockingly cause he was actually a semi reasonable night lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Zasze posted:

There were atleast a few bands of loyalist night lords in the heresy they are in the black books. There’s no information on if they survived till the end.

I guess kheron ophion might count, was known as the coward mockingly cause he was actually a semi reasonable night lord.

Kheron is a really cool character, but just lol if you are not knee deep in Night Lords so you can be Starscream the Faction. I like my evil cartoonish and ineffective!