Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Coffee Mugshot posted:

I feel like this was supposed to be the punchline but it's actually the most reasonable way to save chrome's state for a reboot (Although I'm certain Alt+F4 on any tab page does the same thing if kill -9 feels odd). I suppose this abuse of it is exceptional, but not necessarily out of bounds.

Ctrl-Shift-Q (or menu button -> exit) should exit cleanly but restore tabs when you start Chrome again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
I'm continuing to brutally murder any code that an ex-coworker wrote.

He liked doing string comparisons instead of simply using enums. In the orders of hundreds of thousands per frame. It actually got to a point where it was so bad that it was costing several milliseconds on consoles.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Scikar posted:

Ctrl-Shift-Q (or menu button -> exit) should exit cleanly but restore tabs when you start Chrome again?

Ctrl-Shift-Tab being "go back one tab" and Ctrl-Shift-Q being "kill the whole browser lol" continues to be one of the worst UX offenses in my daily life

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I remember trying to find a definition of a Python function that was being used in some legacy code I'd inherited. It was something like: the code I was debugging invoked A.view(). At the top of that code file was import utilA2 as A. I tracked down utilA2.py. It did not define view. Instead, it had from utilA import * at the top. I looked at utilA.py. It did not define view...not exactly, anyway. Instead, there was a line in it at the top level, buried halfway down the file: view = view2. And at the top of the file was, you guessed it, from util import *. util.py (which BTW all these files were not in the same location, and they had multiple import * statements) defined view2!

code:
def view2(some args I can't remember):
  view(some minor tweak of those args)
:suicide:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Scikar posted:

It doesn't on my machine. But anyway, I guess the concept of bookmarks is just ... meh for people then?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hargrimm posted:

Ctrl-Shift-Tab being "go back one tab" and Ctrl-Shift-Q being "kill the whole browser lol" continues to be one of the worst UX offenses in my daily life

The lower-hanging fruit is that "close tab" and "close browser" are adjacent keys in every web browser. I think of this very often when UX designers try to grandstand developers while being complete morons.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Falcorum posted:

He liked doing string comparisons instead of simply using enums. In the orders of hundreds of thousands per frame. It actually got to a point where it was so bad that it was costing several milliseconds on consoles.

Is your coworker the unity engine?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Or Telltale Games?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Volguus posted:

Not a coding horror, more of a usage horror: I have a colleague that has 1 billion tabs open in chrome. The tabs themselves are very acute triangles now with the top angle less than 20 degrees

He hasn't updated Chrome in weeks :ohdear:

Hargrimm posted:

Chrome's tab management belongs in this thread

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't have a million, but I will often have say 20 open in multiple windows across two monitors each. And I'll let that arrow get super red before bothering to update just because I don't want to lose stuff. Each tab is generally a reminder to do something which is probably the worst way to manage it, but le horreur c'est moi.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
every once in a while I take my large number of open tabs and purge them to bookmarks which is my way of letting go

now the horror is my bookmarks

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Falcorum posted:

Was on a project where the entire animation system passed around std::string. The copy constructor was using up 40% of the cpu time. Just changing to const char & dropped the cpu time to 0.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Scaramouche posted:

I don't have a million, but I will often have say 20 open in multiple windows across two monitors each. And I'll let that arrow get super red before bothering to update just because I don't want to lose stuff. Each tab is generally a reminder to do something which is probably the worst way to manage it, but le horreur c'est moi.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Hargrimm posted:

Is Ctrl+PageUp any use to you?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

In my experience, this setting is much less reliable than kill -9.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I've never had any sort of issues with it.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Around the time I needed a dedicated chrome window just for tabs I wasn't sure if I should close yet or not, I installed a chrome session manager (Session Buddy) extension.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Was on a project where the entire animation system passed around std::string. The copy constructor was using up 40% of the cpu time. Just changing to const char & dropped the cpu time to 0.

Thankfully we don't do that, we did however, have an octree whose iteration went about 7 subdivisions deep despite the top level having no content at all. :downs:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Plorkyeran posted:

I've never had any sort of issues with it.

I've had it forgot the whole session if the machine bluescreens when it's loading. Pretty pathetic when it's sending all my browsing data back to the mothership.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

CPColin posted:

The stakeholders for the time off request code I'm currently working on said to make the form use quarter-hour increments, so I did. Later, one of the stakeholders said, "Well, we don't allow people to take partial days of vacation anyway, so…" I asked if they still wanted the "Hours per Day" field on the form and they said yes.

Whatever.

I'm late but I just want to say that this is the first time I've heard the word "stakeholder" used in earnest to refer to an actual, specific person as opposed to a general rear end-covering clause in that dreadful business cant (as in "... and all relevant stakeholders").

Is it actually a common usage in the English-speaking world?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

NihilCredo posted:

I'm late but I just want to say that this is the first time I've heard the word "stakeholder" used in earnest to refer to an actual, specific person as opposed to a general rear end-covering clause in that dreadful business cant (as in "... and all relevant stakeholders").

Is it actually a common usage in the English-speaking world?

Pretty common business-speak, afaik

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

In a development context usually either the end user or the person paying for development. e.g. they have a stake in how the software works.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, our "customer" is the whole department we're creating the functionality for, while the "stakeholders" are the specific people in that department who are feeding us requirements and providing feedback. That is, when they actually try to look at what we asked them to look at and immediately report that they're stuck on the wrong side of the firewall! (This happened today after we gave them the demo URL's three weeks ago.)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Bookmarks don't work very well for jumping between projects or general project management. This could be because bookmark management UI isn't as good as tab management UI. It's easy to use a window as a "research workspace" and just keep opening tabs as you go. On Windows, the taskbar condenses multiple Chrome windows to a single taskbar button, so that button turns into a workspace switcher. Bonus points if you use virtual desktops to partition your workspaces as well.

I just checked, I have 657 tabs open currently. I use Session Buddy to keep from losing it all, so I'm not relying on Chrome. I also use The Great Suspender to kill inactive tabs automatically. It's fine.

I'm open to using other project/research oriented software, but ultimately it'd have to integrate back and forth with Chrome, and so what's the point? Just keep opening tabs!

BTW in recent versions, ctrl shift q has been removed (alt + f, x opens the ellipsis menu and x is the accelerator key for exit).

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Hargrimm posted:

My pet peeve common UX offense Ctrl-V being "paste with source formatting" and Ctrl-Shift-V being "paste with destination formatting". Why isn't it the other way around? Why is the default to end up with a document with inconsistent formatting?!

Bonus points to Keynote, for which I'm pretty sure "paste with destination formatting" requires like 3 modifier keys, none of which are intuitive.

e:

Hughlander posted:

Out of curiosity, why not use either const char * or const string &? I've never seen someone use const char & as a string, and if I saw it in a function signature I would think someone meant to pass a (single) char and didn't know that passing the char by value is likely cheaper.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 26, 2018

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

const char& makes it clear that null is not a valid thing to pass there.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

VikingofRock posted:

Out of curiosity, why not use either const char * or const string &? I've never seen someone use const char & as a string, and if I saw it in a function signature I would think someone meant to pass a (single) char and didn't know that passing the char by value is likely cheaper.

Same. I'm a big fan of string_view for function parameters now.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Plorkyeran posted:

const char& makes it clear that null is not a valid thing to pass there.

How would this even work? You can't pass a string to a const char&.

code:
void f(const char&) {}

void g()
{
  f("hello");  // nope
}

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

You dereference it.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

That is (A) bizarre and a coding horror in its own right, and (b) doesn't do what you want.

code:
void foo(const char& bar)
{
    std::cout << bar << std::endl;
}

int main()
{
    foo(*"hello");
}
prints 'h' not, 'hello' because bar is a single char.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe they meant const char&*?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

To you dweebs using tabs and bookmarks as todo lists, god forbid you take actual notes

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

To you dweebs using tabs and bookmarks as todo lists, god forbid you take actual notes

Just get a note browser addon and leave it open in its own tab.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

QuarkJets posted:

To you dweebs who actually found something that reliably works for you: congrats!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

QuarkJets posted:

Like with dead tree skin? Gross

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
so what if I used a soup pot instead of a framing hammer to build these walls? worked for me!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I just have a TODO tab in sublime :shrug:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Eagerly awaiting the post about org mode from someone who uses emacs as their browser

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

QuarkJets posted:

I do actually in Textpad (loove Textpad) but it doesn't have an auto-recovery mode for stuff if computer crashes/windows update sneaks in a reboot :(

Thinking of checking out Vivaldi, they had a 2.0 release today:
https://vivaldi.com/

It's apparently got a bunch of tab management stuff

Vivaldi.com posted:

Tab Tiling
Create a split screen view of several websites Tab Tiling can also be enabled by right-clicking a Tab Stack and then selecting Tile Tab Stack from the context menu. Alternatively, use Tab Selection to create a Tiled view – hold down Shift / Ctrl / ⌘ to select the tabs that you’d like to include. You can also control […]

Tab Stacks
Tab Stacks let you group your browser tabs to avoid confusion and stay organised when you have several tabs open. Grouping tabs has never been easier. Grouping tabs into a Tab Stack To create a new Tab Stack, drag a tab over another tab until it becomes darker and drop it. Tabs can be […]

Previewing Tabs
To preview a tab, move your mouse pointer over the tab in the Tab Bar. A visual preview of the tab’s contents will appear below. Toggle permanent tab previews by dragging the bottom edge of the tab bar down or up, as shown below. This will reveal or hide thumbnails for all your open tabs. […]

Tabs and Windows
The handling of browser tabs and windows in Vivaldi is designed with flexibility and efficiency in mind. Open and close tabs Reopen recently closed tabs Clone tabs Group tabs Tile tabs Hibernate tabs Move tabs Cycle tabs Tab width Opening and closing tabs There are several ways to open a new tab: Click New […]

Grouping Tabs
There are many ways to group your browser tabs in Vivaldi. You can organise your open tabs into groups called Tab Stacks to reduce clutter. Tab Tiling allows you to create unique split screen views of your tabs and browse several websites at the same time. Grouping tabs into Tab Stacks Create a split screen view using […]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I use Google Keep for poo poo I really need to remember and sometimes want to access quickly on my phone.

Except that when everything is pinned, nothing is pinned. Also, using a hashtag to categorize a note but the hashtag stays wherever you typed it is loving stupid. I just want to type #servers in an empty note and have a re-emptied note in the servers category.