Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Did Turnbull appoint this guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Milne, a former senior executive at Telstra and at Microsoft in Australia, is known for having a healthy competitive streak. Despite his extensive commitments on the director circuit, he is an active oarsman, and up until recently was president of the Leichhardt Rowing Club.

He began his career as a filmmaker, but would later switch to the corporate world, rising to senior executive positions at dot com era start-up OzEmail - where one Malcolm Turnbull was his chairman; and Telstra, where he ran the Bigpond internet business, and later, its media operations.

Milne left Telstra in 2010, shortly after David Thodey was appointed chief executive. His profile in the corporate world subsequently dropped. Milne took on board positions at Tabcorp, and a string of smaller technology and media companies including Quickflix and Pie Networks, both of which are no longer listed.

It was Turnbull, in 2013, who gave Milne his chance to re-emerge in the upper echelons of corporate Australia. The-then communications minister appointed his former underling, and close friend, as a director of NBN Co and later the ABC.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Statement from Justin Milne:

“The job of the ABC Board is to independently govern the Corporation, protect its best interests, ensure that it is well funded, well managed and that our content is of the highest standards. That is precisely what the Board has done and will continue to do. I do not propose to provide a running commentary on day to day issues which arise in pursuit of our duties.”

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Milne is like a SelecTV and OneTel board position away from a Royal Flush of failed Communications firms over the last 25 years.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Has Emma Alberici commented yet?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Did Turnbull appoint this guy?

https://www.afr.com/news/politics/national/justin-milne-the-likely-new-abc-chair-who-made-malcolm-turnbull-much-richer-20170321-gv2uk3

HMMMMMMM

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/evieemaguire/status/1044799681803378688

Technically these dogs are scabs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Posted by a producer how surprising.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Whitlam posted:

Has Emma Alberici commented yet?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-26/email-claims-abc-managing-director-told-to-sack-reporter/10305820

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

drat, I'm right next door and I can't get out to see the pups.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
12m ago 14:11

Gosh, I missed this earlier. Andrew Bolthas also called for Milne to resign. The famous alliance between Australia’s rightwing cause célèbre, the Labor partyand the journalists’ union holds strong. Erhm.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lid posted:

12m ago 14:11

Gosh, I missed this earlier. Andrew Bolthas also called for Milne to resign. The famous alliance between Australia’s rightwing cause célèbre, the Labor partyand the journalists’ union holds strong. Erhm.

Andrew Bolthas?

Yes, I know what it's supposed to be

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The next time I see "Andrew Bolt has" it better be followed by "fallen out of a bigger tree, he's dead lol".

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Andrew Botha

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bolt is just setting himself up for some free kicks down the road as the rational man who won't tolerate the ABC's political influence and must now close.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Milne was Turnbull's man, Bolt hates Turnbull.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Does this mean Morrison gets to appoint a Hillsong buddy and the A now will stand for Anglican

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Let Bill Shorten appoint Peter Slipper as ABC chair.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

What does this mean for Rudd's Leadership intentions?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm extremely mad that the MEAA is good at protecting journalists but not good at protecting the advertising crew who help sell ads into their websites or papers. Refuses, even.

They seem like a pretty tough union but watching Together, NUW and United Voice fight over the advertising/marketing/call centre/switchboard staff is killer. Basically 3 unions fighting over the 12 or so people interested in organising.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Lid posted:

but would later switch to the corporate world, rising to senior executive positions at dot com era start-up OzEmail - where one Malcolm Turnbull was his chairman

It was Turnbull, in 2013, who gave Milne his chance to re-emerge in the upper echelons of corporate Australia. The-then communications minister appointed his former underling, and close friend, as a director of NBN Co and later the ABC.

Old boys club, what a surprise.

Also I am finding it very amusing that Guthrie is the one who is going to come out of this looking like the good guy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Guthrie get on twitter.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Anidav posted:

I'm extremely mad that the MEAA is good at protecting journalists but not good at protecting the advertising crew who help sell ads into their websites or papers. Refuses, even.

They seem like a pretty tough union but watching Together, NUW and United Voice fight over the advertising/marketing/call centre/switchboard staff is killer. Basically 3 unions fighting over the 12 or so people interested in organising.

The MEAA would be my union, were I currently employed

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

NUW and UV won't be an issue soon. MEAA doesn't have coverage of media sales people under its constitution unless they work in PR creating content.

e: also the NUW only covers market and social research, but they also go into some other areas since no one will organise them properly and the ASU basically ignored telemarketers for as long as telemarketers were a thing.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 26, 2018

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Entirely different circumstances but it's pretty amusing that the Libs have managed to remove the heads of 2 government agencies they themselves installed. In both situations they soured the relationship to the point Guthrie and Quahwhatever just immediately started leaking internal communications making this rabble of a government look even worse.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Lid posted:

He began his career as a filmmaker, but would later switch to the corporate world, rising to senior executive positions at dot com era start-up OzEmail - where one Malcolm Turnbull was his chairman; and Telstra, where he ran the Bigpond internet business, and later, its media operations.

Ah Justin. I vaguely remember his speech to OzEmail staff when he was announcing yet another round of layoffs. Maybe the death of SENet ?

It was an extended yachting metaphor involving that when you were sailing for glory, not all of the crew were required once the tacking was complete, the sails were trimmed and you were in a race to the finish line. Just what a bunch of call centre workers on 35k /year could relate to.

He quit shortly after and went to Bigpond. In my memory I blame him for This masterpiece of sacking but when I dig through his history he must have already, ahem, jumped ship.

In any case, nice little suprise today to see him up poo poo creek for a change.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

evilbastard posted:

It was an extended yachting metaphor involving that when you were sailing for glory, not all of the crew were required once the tacking was complete, the sails were trimmed and you were in a race to the finish line

Amazing.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I don't understand how journalists at ahem can poo poo on unions in their articles but at the same time rely on the MEAA to not get their jobs cut :thunk:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

my rental in Kellyville 2155 is empty

Help, I bought an investment home in a greenfield development in the middle of nowhere during the boom, and nobody wants to live there :qq:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tokamak posted:

Help, I bought an investment home in a greenfield development in the middle of nowhere during the boom, and nobody wants to live there :qq:

Turn it into a growhouse imo

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Great Barrier Reef scientists told to focus on projects to make government look good

quote:

Great Barrier Reef scientists were told they would need to make “trade-offs” to the Great Barrier Reef Foundation, including focusing on projects that would look good for the government and encourage more corporate donations, emails tabled in the Senate reveal.

The documents, including cabinet briefing notes, contain significant new details about the workings of the foundation and the government decision to award it a $443m grant, including:

• The executives of mining, gas and chemicals companies – and international financial houses that actively back fossil-fuel projects – were among the guests at a six-star retreat hosted by the foundation less than a month after the grant was announced;

• The media companies Foxtel and Fairfax and the tech giant Google are among a tightly held list of donors to the foundation;

• The only CSIRO employee contacted about the grant before the announcement in April was in Patagonia, and did not get the email. Documents have previously revealed that the government’s peak science agency was cut out of the decision to award the grant;

• In August, as scrutiny of the grant intensified, public servants pushed to block a long-planned meeting between the then science minister, Michaelia Cash, and the head of the foundation, Anna Marsden, because of concern about the “optics”.
cool cool cool

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi-YLIwkfJs

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/russellcrowe/status/1044807636049440768?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP posted:

NUW and UV won't be an issue soon. MEAA doesn't have coverage of media sales people under its constitution unless they work in PR creating content.

e: also the NUW only covers market and social research, but they also go into some other areas since no one will organise them properly and the ASU basically ignored telemarketers for as long as telemarketers were a thing.

MEAA should cover the whole media org but they opt to be an old boys club for journalists to avoid job cuts instead while everything else gets outsourced.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

At the same time, Labor’s shadow communications minister, Michelle Rowland, has confirmed Labor will move to establish a Senate inquiry into political interference at the ABC. The Greens will support it too. Because it’s voted on within committee and doesn’t need a full Senate vote, it means it has the numbers.

Anidav posted:

MEAA should cover the whole media org but they opt to be an old boys club for journalists to avoid job cuts instead while everything else gets outsourced.

The MEAA recently expanded to include Online Community and Social Media professionals, which was negotiated by the boss of the last company I worked for, and announced at a conference in August.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Slang dictionaries sell out across the country as Australia desperately struggles to comprehend the Prime Minister

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah I just hope it expands towards the ad and Media sales people that keep the whole thing afloat. Then I can jump on this train but at the moment there are 3 trains with no driver.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

He'll yeah

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/cancer-eating-the-heart-of-australian-democracy-20180826-p4zzum.html

quote:

But on top of all the above, while manipulating each of them, has been Rupert Murdoch - the greatest cancer on the Australian democracy.

Murdoch is not just a news organisation. Murdoch operates as a political party, acting in pursuit of clearly defined commercial interests, in addition to his far-right ideological world view.

In Britain, Murdoch made Brexit possible because of the position taken by his papers. In the United States, Murdoch's Fox News is the political echo chamber of the far right, which enabled the Tea Party and then the Trump party to stage a hostile takeover of the Republican Party. In Australia, as in America, Murdoch has campaigned for decades in support of tax cuts for the wealthy, killing action on climate change and destroying anything approximating multiculturalism.

What's unique about Australia is Murdoch owns two-thirds of the country's print media. No other democracy has anything approaching his effective media monopoly.

quote:

An incoming Labor government should consider a full royal commission into the future of Australian media ownership, with particular reference to News Corp. It should also consider the proposed Nine takeover of Fairfax Media, as well as the future role of the new media. The terms of reference should also include Murdoch's role in the destruction of the $43 billion NBN. And it should make recommendations for the future.

Murdoch and others succeeded in sinking the Finkelstein Media Review five years ago. Given Murdoch's impact on the future of our democracy, it's time to revisit it. Anyone who thinks the problem will go away once Lachlan replaces Rupert is deluding themselves.

Kevin Rudd is a former Labor prime minister of Australia.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

They don't opt to be that at all. The entire media section drive right now is to cover freelance journalists in new media (freelance pro). Their agreements are explicit about coverage as is the union's constitution. They're the union for journalists, not the union for media/advertising salespeople.

They're also too small to tell the ASU/CPSU to get hosed in most cases and won;t enter their coverage. The NUW/UV on the other hand couldn't give a gently caress about coverage because they wield massive power as institutions.

E: MEAA media coverage solely comes from the AJA's rules during amalgamation with the carny union and equity.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I just find it confusing trying to get a club together and one guy is over there and another guy is there and no one wants to switch because they are lazy so you end up with scattered memberships and no action. Ahem has outsourced art dept and pagination to India and no one is complaining, subscription sales used to be full time and is now casual and ahem is axing anyone who wants full time back and I'm the only one thinking about the slow creep of bullshit towards where I sit. Hoping I can find higher up position or stay long enough for it to be a resume polisher.

• Locked thread