Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Filthy Lucre posted:

Are your calls recorded? If they are, pull the recording for one where a client complained about hearing your coworker and play it for your supervisor so she understands the complaints are coming from customers.

Most places will act on customer complaints much faster than employee complaints.

Yeah they are recorded and that's a great idea honestly.

Gonna have to make a collection of clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can completely empathise with your situation and I've had to share an office space with somebody who won't shut the gently caress up before, but let's not do this

64bit_Dophins posted:

she has to have some sort of mental illness

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've been asked (among others) to submit my resume. Spider sense is tingling.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thanks Ants posted:

I can completely empathise with your situation and I've had to share an office space with somebody who won't shut the gently caress up before, but let's not do this

This doesn't mean there is nothing that can be done. A viable solution for management would be to give her her own office, it can be small.

Mental illness makes this more complex, but in the end everyone needs a place to do their work without disturbing or being disturbed by others. Ideally everyone would have their own office.

The solution lies squarely with management though, but going to HR as a group will trigger management to at least take another look at the situation.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 25, 2018

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FaintlyQuaint posted:

The place I work at hired a new CIO recently. His idea of reasonable workloads involve dumping three more programs to admin on me, increasing my hours worked per week to around 50 average, and threatening to fire me when I make the entirely reasonable request for either more efficient tools to admin these programs, more pay, or some extra benefit for the extra hours worked.

I used to really enjoy showing up to work and consistently had pretty high management reviews. I came back to work today after a few days of vacation and have never felt so demotivated.

All it takes is one high-up rear end in a top hat. We've hired a new C-level in the last year who's personally made his mission to absolutely tank retention and general sentiment. Like you can look at the graphs and interview data, it's obvious. I can't fathom why they keep him around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AlternateAccount posted:

I can't fathom why they keep him around.

What do you mean? He's clearly reducing payroll and extracting more productivity out of the remaining employees. His banner is rising.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pixaal posted:

This doesn't mean there is nothing that can be done. A viable solution for management would be to give her her own office, it can be small.

Mental illness makes this more complex, but in the end everyone needs a place to do their work without disturbing or being disturbed by others. Ideally everyone would have their own office.

The solution lies squarely with management though, but going to HR as a group will trigger management to at least take another look at the situation.

Absolutely it can be addressed, it might even be as simple as a manager who is capable of seeing it as a problem. I just don't think jumping to a conclusion that the person must be mentally ill is a good way to go, apologies if I've missed a post somewhere.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Thanks Ants posted:

Thanks Ants posted:

Absolutely it can be addressed, it might even be as simple as a manager who is capable of seeing it as a problem. I just don't think jumping to a conclusion that the person must be mentally ill is a good way to go, apologies if I've missed a post somewhere.

I was referring to a previous post I made about the issue where pixaal suggested that I should not blame her because based on my description of the situation pixaal believed that it might be outside of her control and that she may have some sort of mental illness. I'm not suggesting that mental illness is bad and in fact I have been diagnosed with several of them. Hell my undergrad degree is in psychology so trust me I understand that it's a very sensitive issue and I'm not trying to belittle that.

I'm just frustrated and I'm having a hard time understanding her behavior because it is atypical and irritating. Obviously, even assuming that she is mentally ill it doesn't make her less of a person and it doesn't make her any more or less useful in the workforce/office but still the point stands that her behavior is disruptive and someone from management needs to have a conversation with her imho.

pixaal posted:

I think you're right because my current manager likes this employee and he's new enough that no one has brought this issue to his attention yet. I think he may just be unaware since most of my coworkers moved before he was hired. I think if I brought it up with HR he would take a closer look.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I scanned back and saw those posts. It may well be the case and this person is unable to change their behaviour, but you definitely don't want to bring that into any discussion you have at work - just the facts that it's massively disruptive to your work, and the call recordings of customers complaining about the noise will be very helpful as well. Hopefully it doesn't just get fixed by giving you a headset with a noise cancelling mic for your calls.

The effects this is having on your own mental state are obviously important as well, a full day of loud talking that you can't really ever tune out is awful.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Before this derails, the only reason I brought up, and think other people are bringing up the possibility that she has a mental illness is that it brings it outside of her control. When I originally brought it up the tone seemed to be "gently caress this person", which is they were just being a rude rear end in a top hat would be valid. If it's outside their control or takes extreme effort to control it changes into how can we accommodate this. (which is also a better route of discussion for someone that is just a rude rear end in a top hat).

edit: yes I thought it went without saying that you do not bring another employees medical or mental state into question. You let HR / Management do that. If you would be that person you bring up that you noticed the problem and ask them if they are aware of it. Let them bring their medical / mental issues up if they are unknown.

I think we're all on the same page and just sniping at sentence fragments.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 25, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah I scanned back and saw those posts. It may well be the case and this person is unable to change their behaviour, but you definitely don't want to bring that into any discussion you have at work - just the facts that it's massively disruptive to your work, and the call recordings of customers complaining about the noise will be very helpful as well. Hopefully it doesn't just get fixed by giving you a headset with a noise cancelling mic for your calls.

The effects this is having on your own mental state are obviously important as well, a full day of loud talking that you can't really ever tune out is awful.

I probably should have phrased those posts differently and I just wanted to make sure that I didn't offend anyone because that was not my intention. I'm for sure not going to mention that here at work I'm just going to mention the disruption and that's it.

pixaal posted:

Before this derails, the only reason I brought up, and think other people are bringing up the possibility that she has a mental illness is that it brings it outside of her control. When I originally brought it up the tone seemed to be "gently caress this person", which is they were just being a rude rear end in a top hat would be valid. If it's outside their control or takes extreme effort to control it changes into how can we accommodate this. (which is also a better route of discussion for someone that is just a rude rear end in a top hat).

edit: yes I thought it went without saying that you do not bring another employees medical or mental state into question. You let HR / Management do that. If you would be that person you bring up that you noticed the problem and ask them if they are aware of it. Let them bring their medical / mental issues up if they are unknown.

I think we're all on the same page and just sniping at sentence fragments.

I think we are on the same page as well. I'm not going to bring up the possibility of mental illness into this discussion at all I'm just going to mention that it's distracting me and making me less productive. That said I'm done ranting about this for today because I think I know what needs to be done now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress our vending machines forever.

We have a comically bad contract to manage them and about 80% of the time they are either almost empty or not accepting money.

Like today I needed some comfort food, popped in a bill and a quarter and tried to get some chips. Spits out all my money and prints a message saying exact change only. Walk back to my desk to convert a quarter into a dime and a nickel and walk back because I am really invested now. And it refuses to accept the nickel or dime so it's literally impossible to purchase something from the machine because nothing in there costs a multiple of 25.

:fuckoff:

Least I got some steps in I guess.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

gently caress our vending machines forever.

We have a comically bad contract to manage them and about 80% of the time they are either almost empty or not accepting money.

Like today I needed some comfort food, popped in a bill and a quarter and tried to get some chips. Spits out all my money and prints a message saying exact change only. Walk back to my desk to convert a quarter into a dime and a nickel and walk back because I am really invested now. And it refuses to accept the nickel or dime so it's literally impossible to purchase something from the machine because nothing in there costs a multiple of 25.

:fuckoff:

Least I got some steps in I guess.

I'd like to tell my favorite vending machine anecdote, if I may. It's not IT related, but it's pretty good.

When I was a Junior in High School, in an act of rebellion, I decided to quit all the college prep classes, and instead enroll in a vocational highschool. They had an interesting Aircraft mechanic class that seemed interesting. So I'm a tiny nerd in a class full of country rednecks, drop outs, and kids that had been kicked out of regular highschool. It was an interesting experience, and they treated me very well, since I was clearly out of place. Anyways, since a lot of different school sent their rejects there, there was a ton of fights between the different groups.

There was one kid, named Joel (but everyone called him Chuck, not sure why) that was a line backer for his football team, and he was a gigantic monster, but had several concussions so he was a little simple, like class would let out and he'd just stay in his seat glassy eyed for a while, or he'd break out into singing "Under the Sea" during class, but he was a beast, and he was from the "rich town". There was another kid from the poor town, named David Lucky, that was pretty big bully, and he was not well liked. Each day we had a couple breaks, and everyone would line up at the vending machine. David (who sort of resembled Pudge or Road Hog), would push his way to the machine and just be obnoxious, to buy a Moonpie.

One day, Joel and his friends snuck out before break and bought all the Moonpies but one. When break started, David rushed to the macine, pushed everyone out of the way and excitedly bought the last moonpie. Excited, he went to eat it, just as it raised it to his mouth, Joel jumped from behind and slapped it out of his hand and trampled it on the floor. This lead to a huge snobs vs slobs style fight that would make an 80's movie proud.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm over this Canada poo poo.....

I did fix everything today. It's all merged and tested and verified and ready to go to staging tonight.

But....somehow NO ONE thought to make a ticket for "make sure we display the correct currency for pricing stuff in the UI" at any point. It wasn't until I was working on discount poo poo this past week that it was even on anyone's radar apparently. How was that not THE FIRST THING DONE if you're prepping for internationalization :psyboom:?! We had someone add Canadian pricing to the back-end, but no one thought of accessing and displaying that poo poo?!

I kept assuming another team was dealing with it (my team does more back-end than UI stuff), until QA asked why my poo poo changed the price if you submitted a code. "Well the price context data method takes a currency code as an argument, I just modified the calls accordingly. Wasn't someone else going around and updating that elsewhere too?"

Nope. I guess I get credit for the big save, but fuuuuuuuuuck I know this is getting assigned to me this sprint. If it wasn't making work a hellish maelstrom of chaos right now it would be funny how little thought and effort went into planning this poo poo. I'm also going to gloat with an "I told you so" about keeping all of this work in a separate epic branch; they thought it would be SO EASY to hide all of this changeover behind a switch, and seriously over half of every PR I review is jumping through hoops to accommodate that idea and hiding poo poo until the big reveal.

I think we've had at least a dozen tickets about the Zip Code address field labels; they want it changed to "Zip/Postal Code" (I think just "postal code" would be sufficient), but ONLY if Canada is enabled; otherwise, continue displaying Zip lest we tip our hand by doing something literally nobody would notice. That's a trivially easy "find and replace" in an editor.....instead it involves some custom template tag work and some unnecessary javascript. Infinitely easier: Just stash all this poo poo in an epic like any other development team on the planet would instead of merging it into production before it's ready, and cut the work in half.

gently caress. End rant. At least I look like a superhero for finding and fixing all of this poo poo. I'm really looking forward to asking for a raise at my 1 year mark soon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who the gently caress is managing this project?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Thanks Ants posted:

Who the gently caress is managing this project?

Exactly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

You need a new job

Putting my two weeks in on Monday

:greenangel:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

:toot:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

:toot:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

Dang, you were nice enough to give them two weeks?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Dang, you were nice enough to give them two weeks?

Oh yeah. Hopefully they squirm comically the whole time.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What's the job equivalent of :sever: ?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I think it's still :sever: however you could also consider the use of :sherman:?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I believe it is :yotj:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

First of May posted:

I believe it is :yotj:

That was my understanding. It can represent getting a new job and drinking to celebrate or needing a new job because your current one sucks and you drink to cope.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

:yotj:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Thanks to whoever pointed out that it is actually a variant with a bottle, I would have never noticed that, probably.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

spog posted:

Wrong orifice

Lmao

I actually bought one of these (not quite as big) for a co-worker who told me i'd never shut her up. Had been working with her for two years.

She actually wore it for two minutes and put it in her bag after, so I learned three things.

1. I'm still funny
2. She clearly wanted to keep it, so I couldn't return it (bummer, i was expecting to just show it and put it back in my bag).
3. The younger guys at the office went immediately from seeing her as a co-worker to just seeing her as a sex object.

Three wasn't so funny, it lead to HR getting involved.

E: Worth pointing out that we were in the corner of the office behind some big screens, so only the people who were very close to us could see.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

dogstile posted:

Lmao

I actually bought one of these (not quite as big) for a co-worker who told me i'd never shut her up. Had been working with her for two years.

She actually wore it for two minutes and put it in her bag after, so I learned three things.

1. I'm still funny
2. She clearly wanted to keep it, so I couldn't return it (bummer, i was expecting to just show it and put it back in my bag).
3. The younger guys at the office went immediately from seeing her as a co-worker to just seeing her as a sex object.

Three wasn't so funny, it lead to HR getting involved.

E: Worth pointing out that we were in the corner of the office behind some big screens, so only the people who were very close to us could see.

Are you married to her now or did you get fired?
Really, those seem like the only two ways out of that situation.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
No we're good friends still. Don't talk as much (job swap)

HR told us to knock off the jokes while at work, the guys who couldn't get over the joke got moved to other departments/fired and i've now switched jobs for other reasons.

She still works there as a manager now.

I actually work in the same place her dad works now, its a story I can't tell him. Small world.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 26, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I love vendor instructions:

PLEASE LABEL EACH UNIT VERY CLEARLY, IN MORE THAN ONE PLACE WITH STORE NUMBER AND ADDRESS

Certain size or color label? Certain size font? How many places should it be labeled? Top, bottom, sides?

Why can't they just say "Use one 4"x6" label on each side of the package"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I love vendor instructions:

PLEASE LABEL EACH UNIT VERY CLEARLY, IN MORE THAN ONE PLACE WITH STORE NUMBER AND ADDRESS

Certain size or color label? Certain size font? How many places should it be labeled? Top, bottom, sides?

Why can't they just say "Use one 4"x6" label on each side of the package"

Comic Sans

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Wingdings.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I have a client that is an IT manager at a very large and prestigious newspaper that has Comic Sans as his email font.

I'm certain it's on purpose and an elaborate troll attempt.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pixaal posted:

Wingdings.
QR codes.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

But that would actually make sense on a package (with the right scanning equipment).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a client that is an IT manager at a very large and prestigious newspaper that has Comic Sans as his email font.

I'm certain it's on purpose and an elaborate troll attempt.

The first job I had out of college was at a call center and one of the managers used comic sans as her email font. Pretty funny reading things like "we're going to need you to come in on xmas" in comic sans - it legit makes it hurt less because you don't take it seriously.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We had a pink background and comic sans old lady a ways back, but she was kind of crabby. It was real weird to see this saccharine schema pop up and then get bitched at for submitting a form late.

She also loved office clip art, would commonly send out mails with an image of a birthday cake telling us about the office picnic.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pixaal posted:

But that would actually make sense on a package (with the right scanning equipment).

http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

My boss has a QR code on his business card. I'm sending this to him