Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I cant remember if they went over this in the show but even if they did its worth repeating now The Baharuth Empire regularly wages war with E-Rantel (every year?) to force E-Rantel to pull people away from their farms to be soldiers, thus keeping E-Rantel in a weaker position by lowering what they can reap in the harvest. So yeah a majority of the people in the army Ainz massacred were just farmers and peasants. Poor innocent nobodies that never even had a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A number of those imperial knights trampled each other to death out as the line collapsed due to Ainz's dark young approaching and scaring the poo poo out of the mortals.

Fun fact: everyone in the imperial army knows that Jircniv told Ainz to use his strongest spell, and they got THAT.

Blackchamber posted:

I cant remember if they went over this in the show but even if they did its worth repeating now The Baharuth Empire regularly wages war with E-Rantel (every year?) to force E-Rantel to pull people away from their farms to be soldiers, thus keeping E-Rantel in a weaker position by lowering what they can reap in the harvest. So yeah a majority of the people in the army Ainz massacred were just farmers and peasants. Poor innocent nobodies that never even had a chance.

Normally both sides would parade around, intimidate each other, then mutually retreat, with the objective of pulling peasants away from the fields accomplished by the empire. Its why there were so many 'wars' with the empire, there was no actual fighting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Cappy posted:

In what way has Nazarick's moves been careful or measured? The only change I see after the Shalltear fiasco is him handing out world items, which I didn't know the purpose of until someone mentioned it prevents getting world item'd yourself. He's no more cautious about anything than he was before and possibly even less so. If he was spooked he would stop being Momon, not send his guardians into the middle of an enemy empire to chat with an Emperor (the most likely place for there to be some world items), not cause a ruckus in the middle of a huge city for pretty much no reason, etc. In the anime I don't even remember him mentioning the mind control at all besides seeing Shalltear be upset she screwed up. It's a completely dropped plot point as far as I am concerned.

The show omits almost all of Ainz's internal dialogue about things, but basically every time he approaches an unknown situation or opponent in the novel he muses about if it could have access to the kind of stuff that took Shalltear.

Nazarick's moves are more careful and measured because they aren't off-the-cuff poo poo like Ainz rolling into Carne Village on a whim at the beginning. Nazarick only reveals its influence to the world as part of a pre-planned scheme cooked up by Demiurge or Albedo these days, and every time a Guardian is sent off on a solo mission they're sent with World Items and/or with immediate support(such as Solution with Sebas) to make sure that the mind control situation doesn't spring up again without Ainz being immediately aware of it. The Worker arc is a good example; that whole shebang was killing numerous birds with one stone, such as testing the capacity of Nazarick's defenses when they're not being fed with Yggdrasil gold, testing out the results of Hamsuke's training, testing if Ainz can gain experience still, and manufacturing a way to reveal Nazarick's strength to the world in order to test to see if that would smoke out the mind controllers or force their hand. Just to make sure that the Empire was at his mercy before he revealed himself, Ainz prematurely turned Fluder(the most powerful magic caster in the Empire and thus the most likely wielder of the world item that got Shalltear if it was there) to his side. By the time Aura and Mare showed up in the courtyard the Empire was already undermined and completely hosed before Jircniv even knew the name Nazarick. That's about a perfect example of how Nazarick is taking things a lot more professionally.

Why would he stop being Momon? Momon is basically the safest alter-ego there is. The people of the Kingdom love him because he's a super awesome hero who has saved two cities from certain destruction, he's widely respected even outside of the Kingdom, and absolutely no one who isn't part of Nazarick's sphere of influence has any reason to link him to anything Nazarick-related. He's a perfect intelligence gathering tool, and Pandora's Actor means that Ainz can freely use the Momon persona even without his own personal presence.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

FilthyImp posted:

Demiurge's interpretation OF THE GREAT AND MASTERFUL AINZ'S BRILLIANT PLAN is kind of nutsy, but if you go and watch Ainz' actual reaction to Shalltear, he just pops a wish ring and a corresponding item that mitigates the costs to try and retrieve her. His failure freaks him out so much that he runs away and throws a tantrum.

Basically his approach to conflicts before that was 'meh, I'm absurdly over-levelled and can just drop items if I need to'. Which changes when he realizes there's things he can't brute force his way through.

I agree that the thread of who be controllin her isnt a central thing, but the aftermath is there.

On top of that, floor guardians each carry a world item so they can counter further uses of world items.

Shalltear getting mind controlled may not have done much to Nazarick materially but Ainz is now constantly paranoid of player-level threats or their leftover items getting used. He frequently leaves around bait (like leaving Nabe alone back in a city inn) in hopes that something on a comparable level will reveal itself.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Pharohman777 posted:

A number of those imperial knights trampled each other to death out as the line collapsed due to Ainz's dark young approaching and scaring the poo poo out of the mortals.

Fun fact: everyone in the imperial army knows that Jircniv told Ainz to use his strongest spell, and they got THAT.

Normally both sides would parade around, intimidate each other, then mutually retreat, with the objective of pulling peasants away from the fields accomplished by the empire. Its why there were so many 'wars' with the empire, there was no actual fighting.

Pulling from the wiki on the Katze Plains (http://overlordmaruyama.wikia.com/wiki/Katze_Plains):
"At the same time, a notable feature of this place is that due to high amount of casualties sustained by both sides every year in their annual war, the place has become a hot spot for undead creatures to spawn."

Its not an all out war, but people are still getting killed, enough to provide material for the negative power that resides there and make undead spawn.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Well, as someone who went into this episode blind(ish),

that certainly explains the goat pictures. Loved it, and I loved Gazef and Ains' conversation at the end, too.

Also, I've always been a huge fan of shows that play around with their openings/endings (delayed/omitted title drops, credits playing over scenes, playing more of/full theme songs in the episode, etc.). I can always count on Overlord to do one of those, and it gets me every single time.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blackchamber posted:

Pulling from the wiki on the Katze Plains (http://overlordmaruyama.wikia.com/wiki/Katze_Plains):
"At the same time, a notable feature of this place is that due to high amount of casualties sustained by both sides every year in their annual war, the place has become a hot spot for undead creatures to spawn."

Its not an all out war, but people are still getting killed, enough to provide material for the negative power that resides there and make undead spawn.

Huh, yeah, I guess I was a bit mistaken.

But both sides never intend to bring their full strength to bear in these conflicts, and Ainz just obliterated 1/3 of the enemy army, and used it to shatter the rest. The Dark young are as fast/faster than horses at full charge, and have immense reach with their tentacles.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
the best part of this episode was the true sense of horror during the clapping scene. it was actually chilling, and felt very North Korea

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Socks4Hands posted:

the best part of this episode was the true sense of horror during the clapping scene. it was actually chilling, and felt very North Korea

The animation would be a good gif.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Pharohman777 posted:

Huh, yeah, I guess I was a bit mistaken.

But both sides never intend to bring their full strength to bear in these conflicts, and Ainz just obliterated 1/3 of the enemy army, and used it to shatter the rest. The Dark young are as fast/faster than horses at full charge, and have immense reach with their tentacles.

The casualties were much worse than that if you check that wiki link I put in the other post. Of the 260k (I think the show said 270 though?) about 180k were killed, thats more than just a third. E-Rantel is going to be in a bad bad way for a long time (although if you are a dude still living the odds just got in your favor on tinder).

Nobody is going to messing with the Sorcerer Kingdom anytime soon, the Emperor can just give up on that idea right now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gazef is going to beat Ainz next episode and save the world.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Socks4Hands posted:

The light novel is even better, because the imperal army is scared shitless and clapping out of terror, while ainz is happily thinking about his new high score in dark young summoning.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I also thought it was a great touch that as the goat demon thing moved closer people got more enthusiastic with their cheering out of sheer terror. Finally being overcome with fear and bolting as it approached even closer.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blackchamber posted:

Nobody is going to messing with the Sorcerer Kingdom anytime soon, the Emperor can just give up on that idea right now.

It's kind of an impossible situation for all the humans involved, because on the one hand Ainz is basically an evil god who has just shown power beyond the wildest imaginations of every single person involved so resisting him is both suicidal and pointless, but on the other hand, as far as they know Ainz is an undead who is going to loving kill every living thing in the world if he's not stopped.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Kanos posted:

It's kind of an impossible situation for all the humans involved, because on the one hand Ainz is basically an evil god who has just shown power beyond the wildest imaginations of every single person involved so resisting him is both suicidal and pointless, but on the other hand, as far as they know Ainz is an undead who is going to loving kill every living thing in the world if he's not stopped.

Which is why his next step is interesting to me.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Don't worry, every century when otherworldly powerful and evil beings descend upon this world, equally powerful champion of mankind also appears to challenge them. Why, we have one based in E-Rantel that can probably challenge this Ainz guy.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Even when this anime looks like poo poo it still oozes style. That applause scene was incredible

and the slow credits sequence pan with climb, brain, and gazef my god

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

For the bad CGI I hear madhouse had some last minute production fails and had to push the episode out, on the other hand most of the bad CGI was nameless fodder

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The greater overlord community has a very specific name for this entire episode in the light novel.
Splat

It came about because Maruyama filled an entire page with just that word when describing the dark young trampling the kingdoms army constantly.

Just Splat Splat Splat for an entire page worth of text.

Its why there were splatoon jokes and such being made in the thread.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Battle at Splatz plains

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Gazef is going to beat Ainz next episode and save the world.

ainz is going to tea bag his corpse.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Is there precedent for anime episodes to get makeovers post-release? I feel like this episode was one step away from being release-worthy, as if the ubiquitous CGI were placeholders for what were supposed to be actual drawings.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Is there precedent for anime episodes to get makeovers post-release? I feel like this episode was one step away from being release-worthy, as if the ubiquitous CGI were placeholders for what were supposed to be actual drawings.

There's absolutely precedent for blu-rays to look quite a bit better, have altered scenes, etc. I've seen side be sides quite a bit of various anime with the blu-ray release being of a noticeably higher quality.

That's more in the vein of prettier but very similar looking animation and color though, in terms of full-blown CGI changes... I don't see why it isn't possible especially as Overlord seems fairly popular, but no guarantees.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Bloody Pancreas posted:

There are some, for example, the movie version of season 1 got some redone scene (Ainz vs Hamsuke) so there's hope I guess.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, Toei stuff (Sailor Moon Crystal) absolutely got a redo since some of that broadcast poo poo was atrocious.

CGI usually doesn't get touched, though. It's usually the other bits that get redone.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Does anything interesting happen in the stuff yet to be adapted or does it remain a boring power fantasy throughout?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Don't watch Flesnok. Don't post either.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

What was the item Ainz used when casting?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Tamba posted:

What was the item Ainz used when casting?

Someone else may know the specifics, but it's some kind of yggdrasil item or cash shop item from the game that instantly casts a super tier magic spell. He used one or two when he fought against Shalltear.

Seems like normally using a big spell that can kill 70,000 people and summon up adorable killer baby goats has a long cast time.

Looking forward to Ainz kicking rear end in the "duel" and then deciding to like, just take E-rantel and baffle the kingdom by not just demanding they surrender everything to him. Which of course will open up a channel for the Emperor to get the kingdom on board his world alliance against Ainz plan, that's my prediction at least.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ainz just gutted E-Rantel and his own army ran off scared of their 'ally', and the empire's trump card he's sure is in Ainz pocket. I don't think too many other people are going to try and get on board the Emperor's suicide mission.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pharohman777 posted:

The Dark young are as fast/faster than horses at full charge, and have immense reach with their tentacles.
But they never used them. They just waved them around in the air while stepping on the soldiers who were fleeing. It looked so ineffective and kinda dumb. Although crushing them like ants was kinda fitting I suppose.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dark Young are a monster that's kinda hard to make look good in motion but very easy to make look good in static art, and that's been a problem for just about every attempt to include them in any animated format since Chaosium made them up. Hence why they're basically never used in Call of Cthulhu video games or end up extremely altered to avoid looking very silly.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Poil posted:

But they never used them. They just waved them around in the air while stepping on the soldiers who were fleeing. It looked so ineffective and kinda dumb. Although crushing them like ants was kinda fitting I suppose.

They hit Gazef once with a tentacle.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Poil posted:

They were using them on dudes if you look in the background.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Okay, I've seen the episode now and I think an easy fix they could have done to make the effect work would be to make the sky purple and black. That would have driven the terror of the whole thing straight home and disguised most of the problems with the 3D models.

They could have done something similar with the Carne village bit. I thought it would look a lot worse though.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
It's really too bad that Madhouse wasn't able to take their time and do this scene right. It turned out fine, but this has the potential to be such an amazing scene and it's just OK. Though I suppose that fits with the source material? Maybe it's just a really meta joke.

I was surprised by the size of the dark young though. Someone quoted basically all the description they get above ( physical size related anyway ) and that compares them to bulldozers. Did I just miss the one line in the LN that says they are actually huge or did Madhouse make a choice? I totally get why you would make them castle-sized in a visual medium, as your bad CGI soldiers can be very small in any shot with the dark young in it, but I don't really remember that from the LNs.

e: vvv - Huh, fair enough.

linall fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 26, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
According to the wiki the LN says they are 10 meters tall.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Does the LN ever address where summons come from? Are they just created out of the ether on command or are they actually coming from somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Have you read any of Call of Cthulhu?