Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Captain Invictus posted:

the LTTP spring 2018 rando tournament was absolutely massive, with FIVE HUNDRED AND TWELVE entrants. For something that requires about an hour and a half per race, and also they insist on commentators for each one, that means you can't just churn through 50 a day due to the limited number of commentators.

Has there ever been a speedrun race tournament remotely as big as the spring 2018 lttp rando tourney?

in fact, for the early stages, they did not even broadcast every race for the spring lttp rando tournament. they did try and show at least one race from every participant, but even with the long time the tournament took, they could not realistically show literally every single race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Captain Invictus posted:

the LTTP spring 2018 rando tournament was absolutely massive, with FIVE HUNDRED AND TWELVE entrants. For something that requires about an hour and a half per race, and also they insist on commentators for each one, that means you can't just churn through 50 a day due to the limited number of commentators.

Has there ever been a speedrun race tournament remotely as big as the spring 2018 lttp rando tourney?

That tournament would be a perfect candidate for a change of format.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
The fall tourney for LTTP Rando is doing qualifier races, with the top 96 (I think) moving on to the next stage. You need to play in 5 of 15 qualifier races that you’ve signed up for in advance, and they do math to figure out your average for placement.

So it’s an improvement over the free for all that spring was at least.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

KariOhki posted:

The fall tourney for LTTP Rando is doing qualifier races, with the top 96 (I think) moving on to the next stage. You need to play in 5 of 15 qualifier races that you’ve signed up for in advance, and they do math to figure out your average for placement.

So it’s an improvement over the free for all that spring was at least.

This is a good first step.

LTTP rando has also been the most successful tourney I’ve seen, so hopefully their changes catch on elsewhere.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
It really can't be understated how difficult it is to get even 1 person to reliably show up for something online at a scheduled time. I've volunteered in some capacity in over 20 online marathons now and Ive seen it all.

From the unavoidable, internet and outrages, hardware failures, sudden illness/accidents

To people who do shift work not being able to get time off they requested

To being told a few hours before their run/shift that they actually have a family reunion they completely forgot about whoops

Hell the grand finals of a recent shovel knight tournament got postponed because one of the runners forgot to set an alarm and slept through it.

Obviously you can just dq anyone who no shows, but it really is not ever as easy as just telling people what time they need to do something

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

On his 9th attempt at a new strategy to save a frame rule, Kosmic pulls off a 4:55 in SMB1, setting a new record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gum4GI2Jr0s

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Teddybear posted:

On his 9th attempt at a new strategy to save a frame rule, Kosmic pulls off a 4:55 in SMB1, setting a new record.

holy poo poo

where did the new framerule come from? 1-2? how?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

holy poo poo

where did the new framerule come from? 1-2? how?

Does it have to do with the pipe jump glitch to get through the wall to 4-1? I thought they had to clip through the upper portion of that pipe and not the opening of it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think they're now one frame rule + a couple loose frames in the final level behind the TAS. Not entirely sure on that though.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I thought tas was 4:52ish cuz of all the back+forward movement

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

heeheex2 posted:

I thought tas was 4:52ish cuz of all the back+forward movement

Tas gets a super low :54 in RTA timing

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Can the TAS be updated to shave off a framerule at this point, with the discoveries from RTA?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Nah I’m pretty sure the smb tas has been at its “perfect” time for like 6 years or something, they went hard when they were doing it (the tasvideos forum thread for smb is a fun read if you go back)

e: almost 8 years drat and ya sw ur right 4:54.03

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's kinda funny how individual level optimizations literally do not matter at all, until they add up to just enough to push it over the line.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's really fitting that SMB1 is not only such a foundational text, but that its simplicity, elegance, and programming quirks make it a game where the best human players have come within a second of absolute optimization.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I wonder what the difference would be without the frame rule.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Teddybear posted:

I thought SMB got a new record only a few months ago. I just can't fathom the record being broken twice in such a short period for something already so close to perfect.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Tournaments really need some kind of display hack that can really display all the competitor on the same screen. In close races with well established routes that would be quite fun to watch. Sort of like the replays from Super Meat Boy.
Real running doesn't use split screens.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

tonberrytoby posted:

Tournaments really need some kind of display hack that can really display all the competitor on the same screen. In close races with well established routes that would be quite fun to watch. Sort of like the replays from Super Meat Boy.
Real running doesn't use split screens.

Enemies would also be variable per-player. What about a game that involves any RNG at all? What if someone is on an entirely different screen? Which player's camera angle is used? I don't think this could work beyond updating where someone is on an overlay map, which is basically what splits are, just a list.

This is also a networking nightmare to attempt to sync everything into each players screen since ping could easily cause things to hit in the wrong frame.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Perhaps speedrunning races aren’t very comparable to real life races

e: Too Many Variables

heehee fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 26, 2018

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

pixaal posted:

I thought SMB got a new record only a few months ago. I just can't fathom the record being broken twice in such a short period for something already so close to perfect.

He tied that record earlier that stream, and after he spent a while verifying the time and all that, he was like "well, may as well try that new 1-2 trick while I'm here," and that was his first time getting it and his ninth attempt.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pixaal posted:

Enemies would also be variable per-player. What about a game that involves any RNG at all? What if someone is on an entirely different screen? Which player's camera angle is used? I don't think this could work beyond updating where someone is on an overlay map, which is basically what splits are, just a list.

This is also a networking nightmare to attempt to sync everything into each players screen since ping could easily cause things to hit in the wrong frame.

You're just giving more reasons to do the hallucination overlay.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2018/9/26/17905810/super-mario-bros-speed-run-world-record-video

Author of this piece is trying their best to be even more wrong about speedruns than the people in this thread.

https://twitter.com/Kosmicd12/status/1045059668286918656

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
markov chain as hell

"9th career attempt"

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I mean uhhh, there sure have been times I've had to google 'speedrun.com [game]' for people in this/old threads but this is really on another level.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Speedrunning basic research for the article you're writing is the new scene.

There's a lot of skips.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
wrong warp to the publish button

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Phone posted:

wrong warp to the publish button

why doesn't anyone do a run where they push every single button on the keyboard?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

SeXReX posted:

why doesn't anyone do a run where they push every single button on the keyboard?

It’s called *publication I think sucks*

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SeXReX posted:

i thought those runs were your posts :confused:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

got em

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i thought those runs were your posts :confused:

no I'm all OoB all day. Give me the inky void, dark like my soul

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

SB Nation is still great for stuff like Chart Party.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
This is rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu-UFGes6Cw

A bit slow start but in 6:10 they get the hook shot.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Kennel posted:

This is rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu-UFGes6Cw

A bit slow start but in 6:10 they get the hook shot.

I should have checked the description before watching. Turns out there's commentary in the form of subtitles.

Oh well, it was still pretty cool to watch. It helped to have played the game before. It starts out with a big sequence break!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Get ready to vomit endlessly:
https://twitter.com/TheSuperSNES/status/1045900556479471616

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:bisonbarf:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Lmao they gave me another 5 minute gamejam game

If i count punchy's run that only happened because of me that makes 4 now

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

guy who only started speedrunning a month before submissions enters one category for one game, doesn’t get into GDQ; news at 11

it was me, i didn’t get in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Highlights for me:

-TMR doing Cuphead again. That was awesome at SGDQ so I'm excited to see his follow up.

-FFIV Free Enterprise mode apparently is cool, interested to see it.

-Oh my god they're doing ffix hahaha. Estimate is 9 hours, 30 minutes.

-Hollow Knight True Ending NMG sounds awesome.

-SNES Megaman X race!

-Nier Automata E ending :stare:

-Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace :stare: :stare: I had this game as a kid and I can't believe anyone would actually want to play it, much less speed run it.

-They went nuts with Zelda games. LTTP 1-hit KO mode, Majora's Mask, Windwaker HD and Twilight Princess. drat.

-Garfield: A Week of Garfield. I dunno if awful block can top agdq 18 but that game sounds awful so I'm hopeful. Hopeful they are making this gdq Garfield themed I mean :v:

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 29, 2018