Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Don't post in this thread unless you've spent over 2k on a sim rig alone.

derk posted:

I want to see this rig of yours.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kilonum/saved/#view=tWzf7P

Granted I use that for general gaming

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jonathan posted:

Why isn't force feedback brake pedal a thing ?

Basically everything vibrates the wheel based on braking. The pedal itself doesn't really need to.

But fanatec ones do anyways.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

They were talking about sim rig, not computer

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I wasn't referring to the PC.

80/20, a seat, a servo motor (small mige), etc adds up.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Slightly OT for this thread but I wanted to share:

Sulphagnist posted:

So, Gran Turismo Tour races:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx6yUCp7q9A&t=2428s pretty fun three lap race around Le mans with 25x tyre wear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx6yUCp7q9A&t=5112s Nations Cup final, incredibly fun and exciting X2014 race around the RBR with two mandatory driver swaps.

Also, Jimmy Broadbent commentating.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a t300rs and a wood rig with a Ford Focus seat. Can I still post here :ohdear:

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I have a T150 with a wood rig and no seat

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a t300rs and a wood rig with a Ford Focus seat. Can I still post here :ohdear:

Sure you can, your opinions will be ignored though, you pleb.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:smith:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Well in that case my rig is a G27 clamped to a desk and a Staples Nigel chair

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kilonum posted:

Well in that case my rig is a G27 clamped to a desk and a Staples Nigel chair

I rocked a similar setup for 5 years.

I am now handing down my old rig to a friend and it feels good to spread the hobby while also looking back at how much better my setup is now than it used to be.

I probably race less now than I did over the last 5 years with that lovely setup though :smith:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have a g920 clamped to a desk using a Herman Miller Aeron chair with bell glides instead of wheels so it doesn’t move around.

I was thinking about those motion rigs and I see people using them in VR and wonder if the sensors are mounted to the rig itself, since if not, the view would be moving around wildly.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Driving force GT clamped to a desk with an office chair. Bit of a step down from my old setup:

Outlaw Mailman fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 25, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Junkyard seat and wood for me. I haven't raced in probably a year+, though.

Just checked, besides gooncar my last race in iracing was 9/28/2017. :v:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I based my rig on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa-_CLER5zg

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

I was thinking about those motion rigs and I see people using them in VR and wonder if the sensors are mounted to the rig itself, since if not, the view would be moving around wildly.

It doesn't look like people have them mounted on the rig. See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GToQwI_C8Gw&t=310s
Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blI5-6KN9hs&t=1006s

The view does seem to be moving a lot, but maybe it feels natural when you're in the rig.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

GutBomb posted:

Do not mount them on the rig, at least if it is not one of those things that spin (RaceCube or whatever).

Most motion rig drivers have adequate VR adaption, which means they hook into the VR system and negate the motion that is currently applied to you (as it should be). Mounting them to the rig would have to be super-sturdy, vibration-free and whatever (see: slightly poke a HTC Vive lighthouse...).

I had the chance to test it with a 4-dof rig, and am enjoying it constantly with a 2-dof rig, and it works perfectly, even if it sounds a bit akward and vomit-inducing (software hooking into the VR position detection).

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My Fakecar rig was two planks of wood Spax-screwed onto a "gaming chair" with my grandma's plastic bedside table from the nursing home holding the monitor in front of a cheap metal wheel stand with PVC leg extenders. It's...not fancy. And is currently in pieces in the garage while I prepare to move :sigh:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Gt omega wheelstand plus a loving GAMING RAECING seat thank i dxracer you sumbitches.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

My rig currently tries to drive me mad because there is something constantly clanking in there, and I can't find it.

I am trying to get my mind into the "you are Alonso driving a Honda engine"-mode, but it doesn't work....

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I have a G27 and Obutto Revolution. It's serviceable as a desk with the tray addon, but once I have more space I'm gonna set it up beside an actual desk, as it's not particularly comfortable for general PC use.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Playseat and a G27. Saving up for a CSW.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Playseat and a g25. Saving up for an alu-profile rig because the pedal plate on my playseat is non-adjustable and the steep angle of the pedals has given me an RSI in my shins.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Old armchair I inherited, a G29 and a Wheel Stand Pro. A proper chair would be nice at some point.

edit: well hello there

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/1044519378681647104/photo/1

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 25, 2018

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

DiRT Rally is on sale today, btw. :10bux:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Dining chair + Porsche GT2 wheel/CSW Elite v2 pedals on a Fanatec wheelstand, p sure this still counts as scrub tier

before that it was same chair except G25 with the wheel G-clamped to my desk

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
DFGT clamped to a desk.
Granted, I built the desk from scratch specifically to accommodate the wheel at an acceptable height and the pedals at an acceptable depth (I'm tall, so other desks didn't work well for me). So the ergo's are somewhat comfortable. And it still looks nice (solid poplar with cherry walnut stain and a nice acrylic clear coat) when I have to take the wheel off and do real work like a responsible human adult (or when I want to play something that doesn't require a wheel)

I'd like to build a rig, but I don't have much room to work with unless I lose the computer desk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I buy the car in real life, transport it to the real track. Then I tie the inputs of the car into the game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Dakar Rally 18 game is finally up on Steam, got to the second stage and immediately found myself lost and beyond help. Game is super rad and exciting and I can't wait to play more of it. Navigating a massive open landscape is way more fun than limited, walled off tracks, and I'm excited to try and survive it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I buy the car in real life, transport it to the real track. Then I tie the inputs of the car into the game.

This is inevitable conclusion of all earth based sports as we slowly realize humans cannot safely endure professional sports so turn this into a business and be the next billionaire.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Dakar 18 is out today. I was really looking forward to this game and thankfully it's not the huge turd that it looked like from early videos. Here's my first impressions:
  • Handling is not particularly sim-y (if anything, cars somehow tend to understeer on loose surfaces) but you are able to do things like beach yourself on dune crests or get bogged in mud
  • The co-driver is much less annoying when you're actually driving. That said, it's easy to get slightly off-course and have him become completely useless. I often found myself having to navigate from the roadbook unassisted
  • The game looks pretty good if you're not in trapped in dune hell, so like 20% of the time
  • Speaking of dunes, it seems like there's a very large vertical exaggeration which leads to sand dunes having steep, ravine like sides. It looks silly.
  • Waypoint validation circles are tiny. I think their radius is in the game's 1:5 odometer scale rather than the car scale. In practice this means you often have to navigate through a very small patch of dirt in a huge desert, which can easily lead to missed waypoints
  • Stages are extremely long. It took me 50 minutes to do the 270 km long second stage, and that's one of the shorter ones. Some are as long as 900 km.

Overall, I'd say that Dakar is somewhere in between arcade and sim-cade. If you're one of the sycophants like me who liked FUEL you'll probably like it a lot, if you're looking for offroad DiRT you'll probably be disappointed.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

That's what most F1 teams (IIRC Red Bull (or Audi/Porsche in WEC???) started it) do with their sims. The car runs (not on track, that is forbidden by FIA rules) on a rolling track in the wind tunnel, the readings of sensors in regard to downforce are translated to the sim, the input of the sim are translated back into both wind tunnel speed and for example car steering and thus a feedback loop is created.

Red Bull had some major problems with it couple of years in where the data from the simulation didn't correlate with the real world, and I have no idea if the teams currently are able to (somehow) simulate the turbulence from corners inside the wind tunnel, but overall, most F1 simulators are hooked to either an actual or something like 1:4 car inside a wind tunnel while the drivers are sitting inside the simrig.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tuo posted:

That's what most F1 teams (IIRC Red Bull (or Audi/Porsche in WEC???) started it) do with their sims. The car runs (not on track, that is forbidden by FIA rules) on a rolling track in the wind tunnel, the readings of sensors in regard to downforce are translated to the sim, the input of the sim are translated back into both wind tunnel speed and for example car steering and thus a feedback loop is created.

Red Bull had some major problems with it couple of years in where the data from the simulation didn't correlate with the real world, and I have no idea if the teams currently are able to (somehow) simulate the turbulence from corners inside the wind tunnel, but overall, most F1 simulators are hooked to either an actual or something like 1:4 car inside a wind tunnel while the drivers are sitting inside the simrig.

I'm waiting for some sim company to partner with one of those roborace teams.

Think about it. You could have the game AI drive the roborace car, testing its strategy. It would also record what happens IRL to react to how it goes. Then you take it to a computer and re-play the laps in the simulation using the EXACT SAME inputs, and you measure anywhere that real life and sim don't sync perfectly, and then adjust the sim model accordingly.

Until you get to the point where you could record a ghost in the sim, and then "play back" that ghost IRL using the roborace car.

I don't know why someone isn't doing this ready. It makes too much sense. You could blow all other sims out of the water and make the argument that yours is the only "real" sim.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you know any sim developers that can afford a robo race car?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What they need to do is perfect the simulation and tie it to what is essentially a 1:1 scale RC car out on the track. The racers are kept out of harms way, races can get way dirtier, AND they can esports the poo poo out of it by letting you run as a ghost alongside the real race. If you do good enough maybe you get a spot in the pros.

Oh wait, take the real cars away and I just invented F1 2017

:smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Do you know any sim developers that can afford a robo race car?

The cars and teams already exist, they just need to partner with somebody.

Alternatively, if roborace teams are so rich compared to sim companies, then one of them should make their own sim to make money and recoup costs.

Or they could license their physics model out to all the existing sim companies.

You didn't even try to think it through.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

They need to implement a bus in Dakar rally for desert bus 2.0

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rated PG-34 posted:

They need to implement a bus in Dakar rally for desert bus 2.0
Desert Bus 2.0 actually already happened.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/638110/Desert_Bus_VR/

It's free, it supports VR, and it even has multiplayer.

Not saying Dakar Bus is a bad idea though.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Yeah so it's Dirt Rally 2.0

A fair amount of pre-order/season pass crap involved but I guess that's the name of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If there's no VR, it's a no go for me.