Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This is the best outcome of any potential Bowsette talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Samuringa posted:

@cheeta7071

You're the Atelier gal, are any of these worth?

So these are some of the older games, which have a much stricter time limit that the series gradually relaxes and then eventually just does away with completely. Newer games have some QoL stuff too that's nice but, the time limit is the big disclaimer I would have about them if you're the kind of person who shuts down when they hear 'strict time limit'.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Samuringa posted:

My bad, I often see it used as "people who love guns too much" and didn't really think of the others afflictions.

It's fine, I am probably just overreacting and I'm sure I've probably used nutjob in the same connotation. I just.. idk, something about the way it was being grouped in with poor people just made me think about me and how rough life's been and it hit close enough to home that I took it out unfairly on you, so I'm sorry. I should've just let it go because it's nowhere near as bad as other words that actually do get used in a negative way to discriminate against people.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Saint Freak posted:

So these are some of the older games, which have a much stricter time limit that the series gradually relaxes and then eventually just does away with completely. Newer games have some QoL stuff too that's nice but, the time limit is the big disclaimer I would have about them if you're the kind of person who shuts down when they hear 'strict time limit'.

Sophie didn't have time limits and it turned me off because of the absolute boring characters it had and I think I played one Atelier back in the Ps2 where the girl had claws and wings and it had time limits so I can probably handle that part.

Although I gotta wonder if they had a streamlined crafting back then? Someone told me Sophie eventually unlocks some sort of "Quickcraft" but if a modern game still has something like that not manageable from the start I'm guessing the older ones you gotta make your items one by one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's actually quicker to make items in the older ones because you don't have to play ingredient Tetris but every one you make uses up more of your precious precious time....

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Samuringa posted:

Sophie didn't have time limits and it turned me off because of the absolute boring characters it had and I think I played one Atelier back in the Ps2 where the girl had claws and wings and it had time limits so I can probably handle that part.

Although I gotta wonder if they had a streamlined crafting back then? Someone told me Sophie eventually unlocks some sort of "Quickcraft" but if a modern game still has something like that not manageable from the start I'm guessing the older ones you gotta make your items one by one.

Crafting was actually more streamlined in the old ones I suppose because the old system is just 'pick items from this list'

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You get a % chance of success based on alchemy level and difficulty, and the result is determined by the ingredients you use and what traits they have. Rorona gets creeped on by her unpleasant teacher lady while making pie. NISA arbitrarily gave a character the name "Esty Dee" because someone thought it would be hilarious.

Also they are very difficult games

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Also yes, prepare for HIGH IMPACT SEXUAL VIOLENCE QUADRUPLE BANNED IN AUSTRALIA

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This owns

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FirstAidKite posted:

It's fine, I am probably just overreacting and I'm sure I've probably used nutjob in the same connotation. I just.. idk, something about the way it was being grouped in with poor people just made me think about me and how rough life's been and it hit close enough to home that I took it out unfairly on you, so I'm sorry. I should've just let it go because it's nowhere near as bad as other words that actually do get used in a negative way to discriminate against people.

No, I think you did the right thing. Part of removing the stigma from mental health issues is removing the judgment given to sufferers and changing our language is an important part of that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My friends and I have teamed up and started to say “that’s wild” instead of “that’s crazy”, highly recommended!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samuringa posted:

@cheeta7071

You're the Atelier gal, are any of these worth?
The Arland series has some pretty good characters but the alchemy and combat arent as developed as the Dusk series, also the time limits are a fair bit stricter (not hugely so but it's theoretically possible you could fail them)

Totori has the best main plot in the series though, for whatever that's worth.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Recognizing you're using casual language that denigrates entire groups of people and working to actively change your vocabulary to not include those words is something a lot of people never do, sadly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm excited that arland getting pc ports might mean we'll get ones for the dusk games if they port those to switch too

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Recognizing you're using casual language that denigrates entire groups of people and working to actively change your vocabulary to not include those words is something a lot of people never do, sadly.

When will the gaming community recognize the extreme malice and damaging psychological effects of being called "scrub."

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Gamerishly: Dante says the gently caress word but he can't say the c word huh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dante has never said the gently caress word. dmc5 is a major turning point into dante learning to say gently caress after riding a motorcycle out of hell. until now dante was much too young to say gently caress

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

flock off featherface

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
How old do you have to be to say the f word.

Unrelated, but a friend of mine always says the f word , how much trouble is he in?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I can't keep track of this please give me one of those 'can say gently caress/has said gently caress/legally cannot say gently caress' charts for Devil May Cry Universe

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did anyone in the UK ever get mad at the Bloody Palace

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Whenever there's a character in American media named "Randy" I always imagine the Brits having a chuckle

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Whenever there's a character in American media named "Randy" I always imagine the Brits having a chuckle

As an American I often feel the same way with all these characters in foreign media named "Horny" or "Bonerific" all the time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Saint Freak posted:

I can't keep track of this please give me one of those 'can say gently caress/has said gently caress/legally cannot say gently caress' charts for Devil May Cry Universe

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

See this is the kind of stuff that would get me buying physical strategy guides again Prima! I need answers to the real questions.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What about donte

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Dante would only say the gently caress word dejectedly, as if he dropped a slice of pizza

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Help Im Alive posted:

What about donte

donte is disqualified for saying gently caress too much

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

What about donte

he speaks only in fucks

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

What about donte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AfHAfhrWBg

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

haveblue posted:

Did anyone in the UK ever get mad at the Bloody Palace

The Brits love their queen, so no.

Scottish people might have a go at it though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Healbot posted:

The Brits love their queen, so no.

Scottish people might have a go at it though.

Scottish people are Brits though :confused:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

i'm excited that arland getting pc ports might mean we'll get ones for the dusk games if they port those to switch too

That'd be great though I guess PC Totori is interesting too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm new to atelier and am going back to play old ones so I haven't played any of those yet and will probably buy that bundle. I'm just posting about it a lot because I'm chain playing them, because as a new fan I suddenly have a huge backlog and it's all fresh and exciting

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Figured this might be as good a place to ask as any.

I came to think of an RPG I played a long time ago that I can't find the name of. The setting was sci-fi, and you were playing some sort of detective, I think. I also remember that at some point you can get an actual planet, shrunken down, as a party member.

Anyone know which game I'm talking about?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Gonna guess, without any real thought, Anachronox.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Broken Cog posted:

Figured this might be as good a place to ask as any.

I came to think of an RPG I played a long time ago that I can't find the name of. The setting was sci-fi, and you were playing some sort of detective, I think. I also remember that at some point you can get an actual planet, shrunken down, as a party member.

Anyone know which game I'm talking about?
Anarchonox, its real good and you buy it on Steam and GOG.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
That's it, thanks a ton!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Is it actually good? I've never tried it but my impression was more like 'kind of cool but also kind of a slog.'

I apparently own it on GoG so I guess I should try it at some point either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's kind of amazing that Ion Storm is responsible for both one of the best and one of the worst games ever.

• Locked thread