Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Isaac posted:

I had a botanist weld the doors to botany shut and bolted and electrified them. Then he attempted to kill me for entering the department. I was also a botanist but this didnt matter to anyone

To be fair though when some shitheel latejoins and pours all your saltpeter into what is essentially the trash while you're tryna make fuckin' omegaweed so you can further your devious plots departmental goals you tend to get a case of space madness

Victory Position posted:

Try dumping some magnesium on the floor sometime!

can I snort it? Also can I do the same thing with potassium so when I flood the station is also simultaneously explodes?

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
For best results, use a combination of potassium and thermite.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
To chime in on defending your department, you sort of have to play that way if you want to actually last through the round. When someone just busts into a department where they shouldn’t be, you have to assume they are a changeling and be aggressive. If they aren’t an antag, fine, they get the hint and you can go on doing whatever the hell you were doing. If they are an antag, you at least have a chance to put up a fight before getting murdered. I have had way too many rounds end early not to be immediately suspicious of every single person or borg I see. If that’s my attitude, I assume that is other people’s attitude. So, if I need something from a department, I use the radio instead of just breaking in and taking it. Most people are pretty accommodating if you are polite, the exception being people doing chemistry or genetics.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SnotGrumble posted:

To chime in on defending your department, you sort of have to play that way if you want to actually last through the round. When someone just busts into a department where they shouldn’t be, you have to assume they are a changeling and be aggressive. If they aren’t an antag, fine, they get the hint and you can go on doing whatever the hell you were doing. If they are an antag, you at least have a chance to put up a fight before getting murdered. I have had way too many rounds end early not to be immediately suspicious of every single person or borg I see. If that’s my attitude, I assume that is other people’s attitude. So, if I need something from a department, I use the radio instead of just breaking in and taking it. Most people are pretty accommodating if you are polite, the exception being people doing chemistry or genetics.

I'm sure genetics would be polite if you let them experiment on you and riddle you with any lovely genes they found.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
I only riddle them with the non-lethal lovely ones though

You might be a glowing lizard man with tourettes that can only say BUFFFF but your round isn't over

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Booty Pageant posted:

asking??? is a fart not enough of a formality for you??

i mean, basically the only thing the chef can loving do is cook food in the kitchen that will almost never actually get eaten

if the few people who actually want cooked food just break into the kitchen and wordlessly make it themselves, despite the chef being right there, then there's no point to being a chef at all - it's just a staff assistant who has a funny hat and can't talk right

if i need something from a department, and the department is manned by someone who isn't obviously uninterested in doing the job, i'll usually at least give them the opportunity to do the job for me before I break in and just do it myself

there is also the fact that someone breaking into your department without a word has a much higher chance of being there to murder you, yeah. but if i'm not going to get to do my job/gimmick anyway, i might as well just loving die, rather than trying to graysuit up and come up with a new gimmick when the round's already half over

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Goast posted:

but your round isn't over

indeed, it has only just begun

bring back the random mindswap mutation, by the way, it was the best

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Oshan disaster round someday..

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
So, what are the rules regarding the treatment of player-controlled monkeys as a non-antag?
Last night, someone playing a monkey was being a nuisance and followed me into the stock trading area, so I closed the door on them and trapped them in there as a I left. I was going to leave them, but I felt bad to potentially ruin someone’s round, so I let them out after a couple of minutes. I think I did the right thing, but was it within my rights to leave them there?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

SnotGrumble posted:

So, what are the rules regarding the treatment of player-controlled monkeys as a non-antag?
Last night, someone playing a monkey was being a nuisance and followed me into the stock trading area, so I closed the door on them and trapped them in there as a I left. I was going to leave them, but I felt bad to potentially ruin someone’s round, so I let them out after a couple of minutes. I think I did the right thing, but was it within my rights to leave them there?
Not sure of the rules but the wiki says:

quote:

Even though it is a jerk move to attack other players without an excuse, monkeys are usually considered fair game. Since monkeys are frequently a changeling in disguise, people are likely to attack them on sight.

Also the monkey probably could've escaped just fine if there was a mail chute in the room.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

SnotGrumble posted:

Given that you're not the AI and aren't specifically following laws of some sort, pretty sure the rules apply to all player-controlled entities equally, outside of certain edge cases.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What if it was a clown monkey

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I played my first few rounds yesterday.

My first round I entered the station midway to find some sort of death machine rigged up, with the words SUICIDE written on the floor. I asked who my boss was and was given a name, but was also informed that that was currently a monkey who was throwing people into the suicide machine. As they said that the monkey appeared and tried to throw someone into the suicide machine.

Next round I wandered over to some sort of blob to see if it would consume me after starting as a miner, crashing my mine pod into most things, and driving into a trench where some sort of fish attacked me.

Final round I was a cyborg. I hung out in the starting area (robotics?) for awhile as a mediborg. Someone came in and started crafting things followed by someone else dragging a space bear with them. They asked for help doing surgery so I cut off the requested arm (I guess I have to alternate between saw & scalpel?). I couldn't figure out how to pick things up to stick the arm on him but I guess he figured it out himself, cause he jumped up with a wiggly bear arm and proceeded to leave on his own via smashing through the wall.

This game is fun and weird. Switching items seems really funky tho, like selecting them seems to take a couple clicks.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Hotkeys are going to be your biggest friend. A few useful ones (when in WASD mode):

C - Use item in active hand. This will activate a PDA in your hand, let you eat food, or many other actions where you would normally need to click the item in your active hand.

E - Switch active hand. This will toggle between your left and right hands.

Q - Drop item. This will put the item in your active hand on the ground.

V - Equip item. This will either equip the clothing item in your active hand to an equipment slot, or swap an existing item in that slot with the item in your hand. Much faster and easier than unequipping clothes, then having to find the slot the clothing goes into. This will also let you change your jumpsuit without dumping your entire inventory on the ground.

Shift - Run! Holding this will let you move faster at the cost of stamina. This also works in Walk mode, with the added benefit of not slipping on water or banana peels.

F - Fart. Press this to get people's attention. Combine with Ctrl-S for proper spaceman ettiquette.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dieting Hippo posted:

F - Fart. Press this to get people's attention.

New thread title please

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ive played for years i didnt know you could run

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Why run when you can get horribly murdered?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Isaac posted:

Ive played for years i didnt know you could run

I miss the bug, pre stamina and running, where pressing 1 on the numpad to move southwest made you move so much faster than any other direction. Saved my butt many a time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

monolithburger posted:

I miss the bug, pre stamina and running, where pressing 1 on the numpad to move southwest made you move so much faster than any other direction. Saved my butt many a time.

I don't think that was a bug, it was just that 7, 9 and 3 were all assigned to hotkeys but there was nothing for 1 so it was 'move south-west' when no other diagonal key existed.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
be nice to monkeys if they aren't trying to kill you, it's rude to toolbox non-antags

also on most maps monkeys can rush security over the table and nab a box of flashbangs or something, its fun if you want a quick death

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Dabir posted:

I don't think that was a bug, it was just that 7, 9 and 3 were all assigned to hotkeys but there was nothing for 1 so it was 'move south-west' when no other diagonal key existed.

You're probably right. Still, it spawned my favourite start of round 'tip'.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Had my first real round of actually doing something last night. Started off as a quartermaster, pretty much instantly made a plan with the other quartermaster to go get filthy rich by selling plants and stealing money, and then rolled traitor. I guess my traitor goal was to be the best quartermaster team the station ever saw? I don't really get it. We quickly fell in bed with Old Man Jenkins who gave us a stun baton. I think he was HoS. He wanted 30k by 35 minutes in, which would later inflate all the way up to 100k.

On the way to botany to mug some nerds we both got sunglasses which mixed well with out constant finger snapping. Finger snapping as a response, finger snapping to emphasis a point, finger snapping before breaking the knees of an inspector who decided to question why the quartermaster office was filled with plants and space-bees.

A handful of battles broke out in the quartermaster office. A ton of birds appeared there too, somehow, and I guess one of them was a player? I didn't notice that till after the round, although it did explain why a large kiwi looking bird saved me from being arrested by security.

Ultimately I was beaten to death by Old Man Jenkins. His money was never payed to him, as my accomplice and boss stepped on a pipebomb on his way to pay him. I died in wealth and in victory, as I succeeded all my goals and the QM department ended the round with over 200k in it. I got a couple medals for it all, no clue what those are for.

Oh, also, what's 'robust'. Just a meme term?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It means 'good at combat.'

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Wrr posted:

I got a couple medals for it all, no clue what those are for.

Certain medals unlock special variant skins you can apply to items you've got, such as turning your backpack into a stylish messenger bag. One medal for the AI unlocks a special "malfunctioning" face variant, good for freaking out inexperienced players.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Certain medals unlock special variant skins you can apply to items you've got, such as turning your backpack into a stylish messenger bag. One medal for the AI unlocks a special "malfunctioning" face variant, good for freaking out inexperienced players.

Oh cool. I Look forward to checking those out.

Is there any server culture regarding choosing traits at character customization? I like the different accents there but I was wondering if talking like a chav or swede nonstop is frowned upon.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Wrr posted:

Oh cool. I Look forward to checking those out.

Is there any server culture regarding choosing traits at character customization? I like the different accents there but I was wondering if talking like a chav or swede nonstop is frowned upon.

There's nothing wrong with using a dumb accent, but keep in mind that one of the keys to survival is being able to shout out that so-and-so is a traitor/changeling or otherwise let the crew know when you're in trouble and need help. This gets difficult as you start stacking accents, and a traitor with a sleepypen full of alcohol can completely ruin your ability to communicate in preparation for murdering you. It can be hard enough to understand what a drunk person's saying, but if it's got accent filters on, it can end up as complete gibberish.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Wrr posted:

Oh, also, what's 'robust'. Just a meme term?
Kind of is. The byond engine page used to brag it had a "robust combat system." People found that hilarious for obvious reasons and it went from there.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've seen it used as a verb too. E.g. "I was injecting a monkey with donkey semen when this guy rolled in and robusted the poo poo out of me"

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Whatever else, you seem to have the hang of things. That was a good-rear end QM round story.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Getting beaten to death by the HoS is definitely something every new player should aspire to.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I also had a giant golden top hat on that really made me feel like a true successful mafioso

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

Kind of is. The byond engine page used to brag it had a "robust combat system." People found that hilarious for obvious reasons and it went from there.

It also had to do a lot with the fact that the game was HORRIBLY optimized back then, and combat usually involved guessing where your enemy would be when your moves actually went through to the server. Nowadays you just click a man, but back then it was "hit left a couple times then click him, wait 5 seconds and see if that actually worked". It was like playing toolbox chess. It also meant that those of us who had brain meats that naturally could time lag and guess enemy movements had free run of the station and were unstoppable monsters.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Of course, being good at combat is best relied on as a fallback position when traps, ambushes, social engineering, and other forms of indirect combat fail. If you find yourself facing somebody in a fair fight, you've already screwed up at some point along the way.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Deception is half the fun. The other half is welding them into a crate.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Tellaris posted:

It also had to do a lot with the fact that the game was HORRIBLY optimized back then, and combat usually involved guessing where your enemy would be when your moves actually went through to the server. Nowadays you just click a man, but back then it was "hit left a couple times then click him, wait 5 seconds and see if that actually worked". It was like playing toolbox chess. It also meant that those of us who had brain meats that naturally could time lag and guess enemy movements had free run of the station and were unstoppable monsters.

bring this back and instant tabling, also the nerd security that ran around with their stun batons out

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Goast posted:

bring this back and instant tabling, also the nerd security that ran around with their stun batons out

Goddamn tabling was amazing(ly broken and poo poo). Grab the captain in a moment of lag, stuff him on a table, shift him over and over as you strip him naked and steal his gun, and murder him with it and there isn't a single damned thing he can do in defense. There were spots you could grab someone, toss them on a table and then shift them over and they would be stuck. Or you could go to the line at the hop desk and start feeding people into his area.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Most robustness comes from knowing where everything is. Its alot harder to kill someone who aleays knows where a fire extinguisher is

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
theres two sides to being robust, it isn't just about being good at fighting. it's about being good at setting up situations where it's nearly impossible to lose and knowing what to do when those situations go to poo poo anyway (aka: run the gently caress away).

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
i once killed myself as a lone syndie 4 minutes into the round because you really shouldnt walk around with a rpg out and misclick on the floor

does that count as robust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Robust is misclicking with the RPG at the exact moment your syndicate colleague just happens to run past.