Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hello thread my favorite joke in the season was the visual gag for Sexy and Haunted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Das Boo posted:

Wait, seriously? I was just reading about how we've had the longest smog stretch in 20 years. Then again, wasn't there was a point in the 50's where people had to wear gas masks?

I've only lived here a little over a year, but it blows my mind that folks consider the air here clear or even really acceptable. I grew up in Dhaka and had a massive culture shock deja vu when I moved here. This is the worst air pollution I've experienced stateside.

It’s getting bad again haha hundreds of people will get sick. The wildfires can really kick things up in the summer too.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-summer-smog-20160805-snap-story.html

But we no longer live in the nightmare years where you could get high off the leaded gasoline cars driving by.

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 24, 2018

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
OH, GOOD.

Nah, I was under the impression the near constant wild fires were the reason it's so bad. Every day's a lesson.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished watching E9 Ancient History.

HOLY NUCKING FUTZ have the last few episodes been insane beyond belief! I mean there was Free Churro where Bojack gave that long winded speech about his Mom dying to the WRONG meeting room, then the INT SUB story where all the characters are them, but not quite at least according to how that gay couple was telling the story. Then to Bojack's 25th year of hosting the Halloween party where Pickles got a cruel lesson in dating Mr PB, and now Hollyhock threw Bojack's pain pills into the sink, and now Bojack just wrecked his car so he would have another excuse to get more pain meds for his addiction. Though now I have some questions about what happened:

-How did that chick get the tape of Bojack confessing about ALMOST shacking up with that teen deer that was his old friend's kid?

-Did Gina move into Bojack's place for a while? I remember her saying that she was going to sleep at the end of the Halloween episode, and then she proceeds to goto bed IN Bojack's house.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Vietnamwees posted:

Just finished watching E9 Ancient History.

-How did that chick get the tape of Bojack confessing about ALMOST shacking up with that teen deer that was his old friend's kid?

S3E1, when Bojack was doing the Oscar push for Secretariat, he tried to sleep with a reporter but couldn't get it up after she mentioned a boat offhand, which led to him confessing that on tape (and also that he wasn't really in the movie). Ana, being Bojack's publicist, "took care of the problem" for him and I guess she kept the tape.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I really thought Henry Fondle deserved a second chance

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pakled posted:

S3E1, when Bojack was doing the Oscar push for Secretariat, he tried to sleep with a reporter but couldn't get it up after she mentioned a boat offhand, which led to him confessing that on tape (and also that he wasn't really in the movie). Ana, being Bojack's publicist, "took care of the problem" for him and I guess she kept the tape.

Funny thing is, as mentioned, writing that into the show gives Bojack plausible deniability should the tape make it into public circulation, they could pass it off as a test reading for an early script. Diane probably didn't intend that on purpose.

When it comes to my mum's funeral, I'm just going to lie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

General Dog posted:

I really thought Henry Fondle deserved a second chance

He's on the Supreme Court now.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Pakled posted:

Haha my favorite quote from that scene is the reporter saying “let’s get natural!” and bojack saying “a horse and a manatee getting it on, just like in nature”

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

By the way, season 3 is probably still my favorite season.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I was re-watching some Mr. Show recently and I noticed that Paul F. Tompkins appears in this episode right before a dog named Peanutbutter. :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU2bnUmdexs&t=165s

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Entropic posted:

I was re-watching some Mr. Show recently and I noticed that Paul F. Tompkins appears in this episode right before a dog named Peanutbutter. :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU2bnUmdexs&t=165s

Young PFT is so weird looking.

Also Mel Gibson is going to make a Wild Bunch remake, and everyone pointing out how he's basically in Bojack this season.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

twistedmentat posted:

Young PFT is so weird looking.

PFT looks better now than he did in the '90s.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I don't know if I've ever seen PFT without a moustache before right this very instant

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is, as mentioned, writing that into the show gives Bojack plausible deniability should the tape make it into public circulation, they could pass it off as a test reading for an early script. Diane probably didn't intend that on purpose.

When it comes to my mum's funeral, I'm just going to lie.

I wonder how exactly Charlotte and Penny will feel, seeing their horrible Bojack experience turned into a hit TV show. I wonder if they keep up with his career at all. Maybe the hapless husband will try to show it to them?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Would they even recognize it’s based on them?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

ymgve posted:

Would they even recognize it’s based on them?

Philbert, as played by Bojack, kisses and nearly sleeps with a 17 year old on the USS New Mexico.

Yes, they would. It is way to on the nose to be a coincidence.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Entropic posted:

PFT looks better now than he did in the '90s.

Yea, he found his look and it really works for him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He's lost a lot of weight too

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sure this has been posted before but only today did I notice Bojack repeats his mother's "It's not Ibsen" in the very first scene of the entire series.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

Sure this has been posted before but only today did I notice Bojack repeats his mother's "It's not Ibsen" in the very first scene of the entire series.

I think there's a reference to that every season. At the beginning of Free Churro, Butterscotch talks about Beatrice locking herself in a room after getting "ideas" from seeing A Doll's House (which is a play by Ibsen)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it also shows up in season 4, during the flashback where Beatrice gives Bojack that horse painting. can't remember which of them say it, though

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
There's a lot of stuff in the first episode that gets you after you've seen the rest of the series.

Like Sarah Lynn saying she wanted to be an architect, and her music video shot in a planetarium... :smith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WrathOfBlade posted:

I think there's a reference to that every season. At the beginning of Free Churro, Butterscotch talks about Beatrice locking herself in a room after getting "ideas" from seeing A Doll's House (which is a play by Ibsen)

Isn't that the one that ends in (spoilers) an idle rich woman facing her husband's disinterest in her by locking herself in a room and shooting herself?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Holy crap, I just realized the link between this thread's title and the show even though I watched that episode a few days ago!

Anyhoo, I just finished Ep 11, and holy crap was this episode trippy as all hell! The blending between the show and the police procedural drama styles was interesting, and I was surprised that Bojack flipped his poo poo and was strangling Gina in the end. And seriously, did Bojack hide his pills in every place in his house imaginable?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vietnamwees posted:

Holy crap, I just realized the link between this thread's title and the show even though I watched that episode a few days ago!

Anyhoo, I just finished Ep 11, and holy crap was this episode trippy as all hell! The blending between the show and the police procedural drama styles was interesting, and I was surprised that Bojack flipped his poo poo and was strangling Gina in the end. And seriously, did Bojack hide his pills in every place in his house imaginable?

It's a comic exaggeration of the addict tendency to have stashes around the place which quickly grows out of control, and likely an overreaction to when Hollyhock destroyed his pills and he went through withdrawal.

Gotta say it couldn't be more timely for Bojack to end up addicted to prescription opiates. Benzos, it seems like?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that the one that ends in (spoilers) an idle rich woman facing her husband's disinterest in her by locking herself in a room and shooting herself?

That's Hedda Gabler, and it isn't disinterest so much as she married a man she didn't love because of society's stifling expectations on her. Tesman is actually very solicitous towards Hedda - her problem is that he's a dreadful bore.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

(George Tesman to me is one of the most interesting dramatic characters, because it would have been a well-worn track in the road even when Ibsen was writing to make him the cruel husband and Hedda the harrowed wife. Instead Ibsen makes him boring, which is arguably just as fatal to a relationship, but rarely dramatised.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Right, I remember seeing a performance of A Doll's House at uni but I mixed it up.

Ibsen seems pretty relevant to Bojack's family given it's basically bored rich people forced into a stifling lifestyle unhealthy for any of them but too adhered to the status quo to change. I still reckon that Princess Caroline dodged a bullet when she miscarried the rich fox's baby; even before their family business was doomed, she almost certainly would have been miserable and shown it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, Bojack's whole family situation is...well, it isn't not Ibsen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Which kinda gets meta given Bojack's known to protect feelings about his mother onto Princess Caroline, and PC is basically the closest thing to a mother figure he has given her whole agent thing. Though she was more in the position of Hollyhock's mother (kinda) in that one way or another a teen pregnancy would have ruined her life.

Incidentally, I was kinda let down at how the fox family seemed to live a relatively mundane rich people lifestyle (especially compared to the Stiltons) given PC previously described her upbringing around rich people who were all about champaign fountains, cocaine, screaming at each other, and getting cocaine in the champagne fountains and screaming at each other about it. But that's probably (at least retroactively) her exaggerating for comic effect. They were implied to be (relatively) new money.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQyBLb2TdA4

Everyone failing to react to a horrible crushing weight and doing nothing/little to prevent it or change is a pretty apt comparison to the show

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gotta say it couldn't be more timely for Bojack to end up addicted to prescription opiates. Benzos, it seems like?

Benzos are Benzodiazepines, anti-depressants. You're likely thinking of Benzedrine, aka Bennies.

Although the show calls it Feelbetterin, so I think it's left vague on purpose.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fair enough. And anti-depressants actually seem like something Bojack could use.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQyBLb2TdA4

"Oh boy, I'm being crushed by a hydraulic press, oh boy."

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Lurdiak posted:

Benzodiazepines, anti-depressants.

Nah, they're anxiolytics, anti anxiety drugs.

The pills he was taking all started with his accident right? So I just assumed they were pain killers. What else would they give him after he hurt himself?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

BrainDance posted:

Nah, they're anxiolytics, anti anxiety drugs.

The pills he was taking all started with his accident right? So I just assumed they were pain killers. What else would they give him after he hurt himself?

Normally when a horse hurts himself... yaknow...

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

WrathOfBlade posted:

The description of the scene with Beatrice dancing in a beautiful dress is also straight out of A Doll’s House. It’s been a while since lit class, I think it symbolises how Nora is seen as a literal doll by her husband, but she uses her dancing to manipulate him. There’s probably a huge number of references that went over my head in this smart talking horse show.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SEX BURRITO posted:

The description of the scene with Beatrice dancing in a beautiful dress is also straight out of A Doll’s House. It’s been a while since lit class, I think it symbolises how Nora is seen as a literal doll by her husband, but she uses her dancing to manipulate him. There’s probably a huge number of references that went over my head in this smart talking horse show.

Do you know why Bojack was specifically chosen to be a horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Do you know why Bojack was specifically chosen to be a horse

Because he has a big cock?