Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I was super pumped when they first started doing the smaller bottles but even Oro in that format was running $7-$8, and a 750 was $12 so the value wasn't there. I mean, I wasn't surprised that the smaller format was more per ounce, just that I found I didn't just want a 375 of it for $8.

It hit me the other day that the hazy stuff is probably the biggest trend I've seen in beer in my life. I can't think of another style that has so completely dominated the zeitgeist as them. During the IBU Wars, most breweries had a bitter-as-gently caress West Coast style but no one other than maybe Stone was doing multiple ones. Lots of places had multiple IPAs but they were very distinct styles. Now when there's 10 times as many breweries and many of them are doing multiple NEIPAs... it's loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Please save us based Brut IPA.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Fat Lou posted:

Pipeworks Brut IPA won't be saving us.
(but yes please brut, please)

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Pipeworks Brut IPA won't be saving us.
(but yes please brut, please)

So far Around the Bend and Maplewood have the best Brut IPAs in Chicago. I need more in packaged that don't suck.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Fat Lou posted:

Yes please more of these.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Don't abandon the Old (west coast) Gods.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
somebody's pilsner just won a medal at GABF...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

somebody's pilsner just won a medal at GABF...

They sound cool, I would love to try Somebody brewing.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is Somebody's brewing's pilsner 1st or 2nd loser?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Two of the three medals in Juicy/Hazy came from Chicago?
Oh wait...I don't care.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Medals for beer is stupid. Taste is probably one of the most subjective things in the world.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Medals for beer is stupid. Taste is probably one of the most subjective things in the world.

you're right; i should be embarrassed. sorry.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

obi_ant posted:

stfu bitxh its gold as poo poo

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

obi_ant posted:

Spoken like a dude who's not a level 3 cicerone

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

you're right; i should be embarrassed. sorry.

But that has nothing to do with medals OR beer?

obi_ant posted:

Taste is probably one of the most subjective things in the world.

I drank an Urban Chestnut dunkel last night (solid) and then a Rev Eugene and for whatever reason the Eugene tasted like a smoked porter. The one I drank after- from the same sixer- that did not have the pronounced smokiness, which I had never gotten from that beer before. So either they had a batch variance within the same sixer OR something I drank or ate before it affected my palate. I'm as bad as the rest of the world trying to judge what something tastes like but we greatly underestimate how the environment and previously consumed things affect our taste buds.

TL;DR: tastings are bullshit.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
On, and Coffee Eugene is loving great.

Farm To Fist is good but nothing special.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Yea palettes are weird. We tasted a rosemary pale ale on sensory Friday and 3 out 4 people said it tasted like cinnamon. There’s no cinnamon in that beer, it was probably just some weird flavor combo because that draft line hadn’t been cleared and the beer in it was slightly oxidized. I had a pint of it last night and that flavor was nowhere to be found.

Congrats on the medal Funky, it’s always good to win but it’s really good when it’s in a hard category like pilsner.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Any must see breweries in the city of Chicago these days? I'll be doing a day in the city ubering or taking the L from place to place a week from Friday before taking a train back to suburbia. Last time we hit up Half Acre(pretty good food and beer), Begyle(Meh), tried to visit Dovetail, but they were closed because their water was shut off or something like that. Previously we'd visiting Revolution ( super crowded at the Logan Square location, but good food and beer), Piece Pizza( similar to revolution as far as overly crowded), but good food.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Apache posted:

Any must see breweries in the city of Chicago these days? I'll be doing a day in the city ubering or taking the L from place to place a week from Friday before taking a train back to suburbia. Last time we hit up Half Acre(pretty good food and beer), Begyle(Meh), tried to visit Dovetail, but they were closed because their water was shut off or something like that. Previously we'd visiting Revolution ( super crowded at the Logan Square location, but good food and beer), Piece Pizza( similar to revolution as far as overly crowded), but good food.

Try Dovetail again. Off Color's Mousetrap. Where in the burbs?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Josh Wow posted:

Congrats on the medal Funky, it’s always good to win but it’s really good when it’s in a hard category like pilsner.

thanks! i know some breweries deliberately aim for the weaker/less-popular categories, but we entered what we felt best about that would be ready when it came time to ship submissions. also, it's not my recipe, but i feel a little extra proud since i brewed this particular batch

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

stfu bitxh its gold as poo poo

bronze, but that's only slightly less-stupid

and those were the same cans i sent you!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Can confirm that Pilsner is a good beer and that funky is an even better dude.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I recall months ago that probably Dan mentioned NG was doing Wild Sour again but nothing more. I was up in Door County and came across some of it. Holy gently caress is it good. Got a four pack and went back for the stores other three which is something I haven’t done in ages.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Curmudgeon's Better Half smells and tastes like stale Fritos.

fight me

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

the yellow dart posted:

Curmudgeon's Better Half smells and tastes like stale Fritos.

fight me

The rare case where batch two is better?

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Mikkeller Beer Fest Tokyo trip report: just happened to be in Tokyo when my buddy who works in the industry was here as well. He invited me to the festival with comped tickets, so I went and while he was chatting with industry people I tried a few beers and ended up having the worst beers I've ever had in my life, Mikkeller SD German Pilsner and their Helles with Oats. Then I just snuck out with a friend and we got Asahi from the vending machine next to the baseball fields next door. 10/10

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Mikkeller is somewhat garbage. I'm happy they're doing distro for stuff like Tired Hands and Jolly Pumpkin or I'd never get to taste it, but they're a contract brewery that has ditched quality for novelty. Beer Geek Breakfast was a good beer back in the day, but that's about it as far as I am concerned.

Apache
May 11, 2004

danbanana posted:

Try Dovetail again. Off Color's Mousetrap. Where in the burbs?

Staying with the in-laws in Naperville. Not a ton out there, We've been to Solemn Oath, Two Brothers, and Penrose. Are either of the Downer's Grove breweries worth a visit, Alter or Emmett's? Or Skeleton Key in Woodridge? Or Metal Monkey in Romeoville?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Apache posted:

Staying with the in-laws in Naperville. Not a ton out there, We've been to Solemn Oath, Two Brothers, and Penrose. Are either of the Downer's Grove breweries worth a visit, Alter or Emmett's? Or Skeleton Key in Woodridge? Or Metal Monkey in Romeoville?

I can't speak on any of them but Imperial Oak is probably my favorite in the western burbs after Penrose. A bit further away than those guys but usually worth it.

Apache
May 11, 2004

danbanana posted:

I can't speak on any of them but Imperial Oak is probably my favorite in the western burbs after Penrose. A bit further away than those guys but usually worth it.

Yeah, they were good. We did a suburban tour last time and hit them, along with Hailstorm, 3 Floyds, and 18th st in Indiana. Are any of the Logan Square places worth the crowds at this point? Hopewell, Piece, Rev? How big of mess would they be on a Friday afternoon?

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Josh Wow posted:

it was probably just some weird flavor combo because that draft line hadn’t been cleared

This is the mantra of a bar local to me.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Apache posted:

Yeah, they were good. We did a suburban tour last time and hit them, along with Hailstorm, 3 Floyds, and 18th st in Indiana. Are any of the Logan Square places worth the crowds at this point? Hopewell, Piece, Rev? How big of mess would they be on a Friday afternoon?

Hopewell is okay. I've had a couple of their packaged offerings and they were fine. Rev's brewpub has good food but if you're not looking for dinner, hit the brewery on Kedzie instead, which has a lot more room. Piece is in the heart of Wicker Park and 10 years ago it was a mess to get in on a Friday so I assume it still is. But the beer and food are both good.

In the LS/WP/Bucktown area, you also have Maplewood, who have really nice pale ales and just released their very good BA'd barleywine again. Metropolitan finally opened a taproom which I have yet to be in but everyone says it's beautiful and you get to drink beers from one of the OG "craft" lager breweries before that was a thing. And a little further north you can hit Beer Temple, who will probably have the best taplist in the city. Plus the best bottle shop.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Biomute posted:

Mikkeller is somewhat garbage. I'm happy they're doing distro for stuff like Tired Hands and Jolly Pumpkin or I'd never get to taste it, but they're a contract brewery that has ditched quality for novelty. Beer Geek Breakfast was a good beer back in the day, but that's about it as far as I am concerned.

There is one beer geek breakfast dessert about 40 miles away from me and I periodically think about driving to go pick it up. An import (Lervig Aktiebryggeri) no less, not the one they're brewing now in SD.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 25, 2018

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

incoherent posted:

There is one beer geek breakfast dessert about 40 miles away from me and I periodically think about driving to go pick it up. An import (Lervig Aktiebryggeri) no less, not the one they're brewing now in SD.

Lervig is the best brewery in Norway, although I can't vouch for this beer.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
If it's from the batch that was released around may, it's good. Bgb is pretty boring nowadays but I had the vanilla maple cocoa version from mikkeller SD, I thought I would hate it but it was amazingly balanced and easily one of the best non BA stouts I've ever had.

Jerome Louis posted:

Mikkeller Beer Fest Tokyo trip report: just happened to be in Tokyo when my buddy who works in the industry was here as well. He invited me to the festival with comped tickets, so I went and while he was chatting with industry people I tried a few beers and ended up having the worst beers I've ever had in my life, Mikkeller SD German Pilsner and their Helles with Oats. Then I just snuck out with a friend and we got Asahi from the vending machine next to the baseball fields next door. 10/10

Mikkeller SD is an actual brewery and they usually make pretty good hoppy stuff. Their track record for other beer is meh at best.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Of course there's an established beer thread! Hello, I'm new to goons with spoons and I suppose relatively new to drinking (5 years now).

All I gotta say is, why are god drat barely wines so loving expensive? I love em, I understand that they aren't to be consumed in large amounts and i assume they are a hassle to make...

But, $15 for a 12oz bottle?! I don't care if it comes in its own box! Or how good the whiskey/bourbon barrel it was aged in! /rant.

I'm probably gonna buy one this friday. I've had maybe less then a handful from local breweries here in San Diego. Please, yell out any recommendations before I make myself legit mad at the liqour store looking at the prices.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 26, 2018

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

But, $15 for a 12oz bottle?! I don't care if it comes in its own box! Or how good the whiskey/bourbon barrel it was aged in! /rant.

The raw material is cheap, but just like a lager costs a brewery more to make than an IPA (even factoring in expensive hops) because of the time it has to spend lagering in a tank before being sold, a barley wine is expensive because of the long time it takes to turn around, especially if it sees oak. In addition to that, some states have higher taxes on alcohol the higher the alcohol percentage, which can also contribute.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 26, 2018

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

yeah, malt is way cheaper than hops, but a barleywine can easily have twice as much malt as any other beer a brewery produces, and some of the newer, ultra-viscous examples can have nearly four times as much (double-mashing with no sparge). as for spirit barrels, they generally cost from $100 to $300 (and more for really rare/weird stuff), so that obviously adds to the cost, too. still, it's kind of hard to cross that dollar-per-ounce threshold.

i have no idea what the current hotness is in SD, but AleSmith and Firestone-Walker make a lot of really good barrel-aged beers if you haven't run through all those yet.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Of course there's an established beer thread! Hello, I'm new to goons with spoons and I suppose relatively new to drinking (5 years now).

All I gotta say is, why are god drat barely wines so loving expensive? I love em, I understand that they aren't to be consumed in large amounts and i assume they are a hassle to make...

I'm probably gonna buy one this friday. I've hand maybe less then a handful from local breweries here in San Diego. Please, yell out any recommendations before I make myself legit mad at the liqour store looking at the prices.

If you have access to Bell's, get Third Coast Old Ale. It comes in sixers and tastes like wrapping yourself up in a warm blanket on a cold night.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Also Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is on the hopper end fresh but ages very well and is like 12 bucks a 6er.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

What beer is this?

Did New Alpine ever rebrew Great? Also, if anyone has any Great and they just want to, like, send it to me? Cool.