Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
People who vape always seem happy to me, compared to people who smoke who always seem miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

You should hit that guy or maybe spike his food with laxatives.

He's one of my coworkers and honestly I haven't seen him since I last mentioned him in this chat about a week ago.

I think that he might have quit actually but honestly I'm not sure.

That said if I ever get the chance to gently caress him over I'm taking it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: printer chat, nthing the Brother laser sentiment. Bought one of their basic monochrome laser printers about 10 years ago and I've yet to run out the sample toner cartridge it came with, although to be fair we maybe have to print something once per quarter.

Rhyno posted:

Vaping is the literal worst. I think fruity clouds smell worse than regular clouds of smoke.

Eh, I'd rather have to sit next to someone who just got done vaping on a bus or airplane than just smoked a few.

I mean, I hate vaping too but let's be objective here - there are few things on this earth worse than cigarette smoke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
True.

Another thing, vapers talk about vaping all the goddamned time. Smokers tend to never talk about smoking.

Edit: Probably because of all the hacking and coughing now that I think about it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

True.

Another thing, vapers talk about vaping all the goddamned time. Smokers tend to never talk about smoking.

Edit: Probably because of all the hacking and coughing now that I think about it.

Nah it's because with smoking you can just buy a pack smoke it and throw it away. With vaping there's a lot of maintenance and thought you have to put into keeping the thing working properly. Also there are so many different types of vapes so naturally a lot of people who switch to vaping wind trying a number of different ones. Also there's building coils, different juices, different batteries etc.

Basically it occupies enough of your mental energy throughout the week to want to talk to someone else about it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Fruity antifreeze laden clouds are bad, but they are nowhere near the grossness of cigarette smoke. I applaud anyone trying to make positive changes in their life. Fruity clouds still smell better than AXE body spray so :shrug:

LOL at the people who started vaping for funsies though. That is a stupid life choice.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

True.

Vaping is a hobby. Smoking is a habit.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Laserjets are forever superior. We have a Samsung Color Laser at the house, always works great.

We bought a new Samsung color laser so my wife could use it for crafts and such. Turns out, new Samsung printers are made by HP, and the software is a mix of HP and Samsung. It's complete poo poo.

My older brother b&w laser is fantastic.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Fruity antifreeze laden clouds are bad, but they are nowhere near the grossness of cigarette smoke. I applaud anyone trying to make positive changes in their life. Fruity clouds still smell better than AXE body spray so :shrug:

LOL at the people who started vaping for funsies though. That is a stupid life choice.

Pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I've had a Dell all-in-one color laser that has bulletproof for years. The OEM toner is pricey but I found a local goon who keeps me well stocked for 1/4 of the cost and have had no quality issues.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yeah I really don't understand that, especially with products like the Juul that have so much nicotine in them that one pull will get you sick with no tolerance.

I'm pretty sure that the juul is going to get banned the way kids keep buying them up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i just think vaping is weird in the sense that it's only been around for a few years and created some profoundly weird behaviors from the people who are really into it...just seems strange for people who belch out huge clouds of poo poo every 3-4 minutes, or fill up their cars with smoke. keep suckin those robot dongs!

especially when it's not even nicotene or pot based stuff...like why are you spending money to breathe in an air freshener?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I tried vaping and all I ended up doing was blowing through two 40mL bottles of 18mg fluid a day.

It was way more expensive than cigs and amped my nicotine addiction straight up to 11.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Fermented Tinal posted:

I tried vaping and all I ended up doing was blowing through two 40mL bottles of 18mg fluid a day.

It was way more expensive than cigs and amped my nicotine addiction straight up to 11.

Holy poo poo man that's a TON of nicotine.

It takes me an entire week to go through a single 60ml bottle of 3mg juice.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Pack a day at 13.50 a pack.

Goddamn, must be the price in a state like CA or NY? I don't know what I thought a pack costs now, but I would have guessed ~$7. poo poo, you could probably smoke weed cheaper than that in CA, at least before it went from medical -> fully legal, and got a lot more regulated and expensive.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Prong Song posted:

I can't stop giggling at 3000 ft/lbs of torque out of a 360ci diesel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UZpKI27KXA

That's pretty damned impressive.
Go post that over in the Awesome Automotive poo poo thread.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MomJeans420 posted:

Goddamn, must be the price in a state like CA or NY? I don't know what I thought a pack costs now, but I would have guessed ~$7. poo poo, you could probably smoke weed cheaper than that in CA, at least before it went from medical -> fully legal, and got a lot more regulated and expensive.

:canada: - the legal min in NY is now up to 13 though

mean while in NC: $5.23 average

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

MomJeans420 posted:

That’s about what they’re at in Chicago (and I think NYC) but in a complete shock they were $6 when I was in LA a couple years ago. $6-$7 seems to be pretty standard outside of your large liberal cities and your Virginias and Kentuckies.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Goober Peas posted:

I've had a Dell all-in-one color laser that has bulletproof for years. The OEM toner is pricey but I found a local goon who keeps me well stocked for 1/4 of the cost and have had no quality issues.

I've had my Dell 1320c for slightly over a decade at this point. Bought it when I was in grad school. I haven't used OEM toner since the sample cartridges ran out. It's still trucking along just fine and still works with Windows 10 even though it's not officially supported anymore. Getting it to work under Linux is an exercise in frustration, though. For scanning stuff, I technically have a lovely HP AIO stuffed under my desk (it's long since run out of ink) but honestly, I usually just use Office Lens on my phone.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
The Airbag sensor in my 2001 accord is throwing a code but my POS bluetooth scan tool won't read the codes on this car for some reason.

I'm getting sick of taking care of this thing. I'm honestly just tempted to buy a used Ninja 250 and call it a day.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Just take it to autozone then and get the codes read?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Suburban Dad posted:

Just take it to autozone then and get the codes read?

That's what I'm going to do I just wanted to complain.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Woke up to the car being gone Monday morning, the cops found it last night. Just went and picked it up, junkie residue all over. I know I should be grateful it was recovered (and fast), but it's mildly traumatic having to deal with the clean up. I've had this car for 14 years, it's one of the most familiar spaces I know. Seeing it trashed is still hitting me at a visceral level. I shouldn't have left a key in the glove box, sorry ham bone. At least they left the dashboard buddha

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

64bit_Dophins posted:

The Airbag sensor in my 2001 accord is throwing a code but my POS bluetooth scan tool won't read the codes on this car for some reason.

I'm getting sick of taking care of this thing. I'm honestly just tempted to buy a used Ninja 250 and call it a day.

Do it. Ninja 250 definitely won't throw codes.

Epitope posted:

Woke up to the car being gone Monday morning, the cops found it last night. Just went and picked it up, junkie residue all over. I know I should be grateful it was recovered (and fast), but it's mildly traumatic having to deal with the clean up. I've had this car for 14 years, it's one of the most familiar spaces I know. Seeing it trashed is still hitting me at a visceral level. I shouldn't have left a key in the glove box, sorry ham bone. At least they left the dashboard buddha

Dashboard buddha knows that all life is suffering. Including cleaning junkie residue up from your stolen car.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Epitope posted:

I feel you, man. My car got ransacked by some meth heads a few years ago--didn't steal the car but stole some tools and my laptop that I'd forgotten was in the back seat--and just dealing with the aftermath of that was really disconcerting. Also disconcerting was realizing just how incompetent my local PD is. The only reason I got my laptop back was because I'd provided the S/N as part of the police report and kept calling back to see if they'd made any progress. They kept it for two months in evidence before giving it back, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Seems at least some of the current crop of Dells are very mildly rebadged Brothers, with just enough changed so you can't use a Brother toner in a Dell printer or vice versa. Of course the cheap rear end eBay toners still exist for the Dell so who cares.

At this point I don't think I've had an inkjet in over a decade. I am on at least my fourth laser printer, all Brother or derived. HL1440 that I pretty much wore out, HL5240 that my mom still has, HL3040CN that I also wore out and got sick of how loving huge / toner hungry it was, and now some Dell something-or-other that I can't recall the model number of that's basically the same as the current Brother B&W with wireless and duplex printing.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

builds character posted:

Do it. Ninja 250 definitely won't throw codes.

I'm just frustrated with my Honda because it's getting to a point where right when I fix something, something else breaks like a month later. It's just constantly in need of repair and I'm getting sick of it.

I should honestly just drive it until it fails inspection and then scrap the thing and get something else.

I'm also moving out of the metro area of my city to a more rural/suburban area and I want to get a motorcycle because I'm not as afraid of traffic merging into me.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 26, 2018

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

People who vape always seem happy to me, compared to people who smoke who always seem miserable.

Good point. Though ‘people who vape’ should always be referred to as ‘vapists’.

Right. I’ve got to drive roughly 900 miles over the next 2 days (Barcelona - Manchester, uk). Please recommend me some audio books that I can get from Audible (I’ve got 2 free trial ‘tokens’) or somewhere else that will keep me entertained for 18 hours or so.

I listening to ‘ready player one’ as an audiobook on the way here and really enjoyed it (sorry)
I generally read fantasy/sci fi books for relaxation so would prefer something simple in that genre. I’ve just worked through a lot of Neil Gaiman and Ursula Le Guin’s back catalogues on my kindle along with re-reading a load of dragonlance and forgotten realms books that I used to love when I was a teenager in the 90’s.

I’m looking for something that lets me relax at 70mph/110kph on the cruise control for 6 hours straight - not something that makes me think too much (so the fridge corn/adiabetic book of the month is probably out - sorry both)

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Tomarse posted:

Right. I’ve got to drive roughly 900 miles over the next 2 days (Barcelona - Manchester, uk). Please recommend me some audio books that I can get from Audible (I’ve got 2 free trial ‘tokens’) or somewhere else that will keep me entertained for 18 hours or so.

I listening to ‘ready player one’ as an audiobook on the way here and really enjoyed it (sorry)
I generally read fantasy/sci fi books for relaxation so would prefer something simple in that genre. I’ve just worked through a lot of Neil Gaiman and Ursula Le Guin’s back catalogues on my kindle along with re-reading a load of dragonlance and forgotten realms books that I used to love when I was a teenager in the 90’s.

I’m looking for something that lets me relax at 70mph/110kph on the cruise control for 6 hours straight - not something that makes me think too much (so the fridge corn/adiabetic book of the month is probably out - sorry both)

I'm a serial-vapist

Also I would recommend listening to/starting (if you haven't already) "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. It's very good.

If you want something a little more "popcorny" I would recommend reading Lee Iaccoca's Autobiography. I read it cover to cover this past weekend and enjoyed it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Pratchett? Narrated by Nigel Planer and will prbably make you a happier driver.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mariooncrack posted:

If you don't need color, I recommend getting a Brother printer. They are known to go on sale for ~$50 and dead reliable.

I need wifi, unfortunately. But yeah I've seen them cheap, and heard good things about them.

angryrobots posted:

Yeah? I need something that won't have a dry ink reservoir if it sits for 6 months. (Looking at you HP :arghfist: ) I'll look into them, just need something for the occasional document.

He was talking about their laser printers.

Alarbus posted:

new Samsung printers are made by HP.

That's enough for me to write off Samsung.

64bit_Dophins posted:

You need a code reader capable of pulling SRS codes. AutoZone won't be able to pull the SRS codes either.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

spog posted:

Pratchett? Narrated by Nigel Planer and will prbably make you a happier driver.

I was going to recommend the same thing, which was in turn recommended to me when I made a 1200 mile trip. I would probably start with 'Mort' like I did.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

I need wifi, unfortunately. But yeah I've seen them cheap, and heard good things about them.

Any Brother laser ending in "W" has wifi.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm a serial-vapist

Also I would recommend listening to/starting (if you haven't already) "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. It's very good.

If you want something a little more "popcorny" I would recommend reading Lee Iaccoca's Autobiography. I read it cover to cover this past weekend and enjoyed it.

I was going to suggest the Dark Tower also, but beware that after book 4 the guy who's good at reading (Frank Muller) gets killed in a motorcycle accident and the older guy who takes over (George Guidall) is mushmouthed and difficult to listen to and my interest in listening to the rest of series came to a grinding halt.

For best bang for your Free Audible Credit, Stephen King's "The Stand" is 47 hours and 52 minutes long :eyepop:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

That's enough for me to write off Samsung.

You need a code reader capable of pulling SRS codes. AutoZone won't be able to pull the SRS codes either.

I honestly don't trust anything made by Samsung after owning a Galaxy Nexus.

Also gently caress... Well looks like I'm going to be taking a trip to my mechanic...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
meanwhile i'm buying the same samsung fridge for my new house that we had at the last one

i really hate how much fridge space is wasted in these modern fridges that have the dumb rear end water/ice filler in the front of the door

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BraveUlysses posted:

meanwhile i'm buying the same samsung fridge for my new house that we had at the last one

i really hate how much fridge space is wasted in these modern fridges that have the dumb rear end water/ice filler in the front of the door

Never Samsung an appliance. I have had the worst experience with a Samsung Fridge. A 32 cubic foot giant that was supposed to be awesome turn into a literal stinking pile of garbage in three years. Buy the LG, do not buy the Samsung.

I posted at length during this saga in whatever chat thread du jour was upon us. Looking back at it still makes me mad. That was the worst $3K I have ever spent.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Never Samsung an appliance. I have had the worst experience with a Samsung Fridge. A 32 cubic foot giant that was supposed to be awesome turn into a literal stinking pile of garbage in three years. Buy the LG, do not buy the Samsung.

I posted at length during this saga in whatever chat thread du jour was upon us. Looking back at it still makes me mad. That was the worst $3K I have ever spent.

I have an LG made Kenmore badged fridge and I've had 0 issues with it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

64bit_Dophins posted:

Holy poo poo man that's a TON of nicotine.

It takes me an entire week to go through a single 60ml bottle of 3mg juice.

Pretty much vape'd every waking moment.

MomJeans420 posted:

Ontario, Canada. That's the price for a 25 pack of Pall Malls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

*Parts delivery driver pulls up truck to service drive to load up for tomorrow's run*

Old and beat Tundra's front left ball-joint: *BOOP*

:laugh:

• Locked thread