Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
The lady who taught me to make it would have me make the broth the day before I wanted to serve it and then leave it with the beef bones and onion (but not spices) in overnight, then reheat, remove bones and onion, add spices back while rewarming, then serve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

large hands posted:

When we make cha gio we wrap them in a lettuce leaf with mint/thai basil/cilantro etc. before dipping in the nuoc Cham. It was a game changer for me, adds a great fresh flavor and keeps the oil off your fingers.

Pro tip: try it like this but with rau ram aka vietnamese coriander.

I don't see it as much in the bay area vietnamese places but I do see it in the asian markets and places that let you make your own spring rolls.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Y'all aren't mixing the cheese into your bechamel?!

Ew no. You need to have stringy mozzarella chunks hidden throughout the lasagna, it look way cooler when you slice it and there's cheese stretch.

Mornay sauce is for making God's Own Mac & Cheese though ...

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

Ew no. You need to have stringy mozzarella chunks hidden throughout the lasagna, it look way cooler when you slice it and there's cheese stretch.

Why are you assuming the cheeses are only in the sauce? Kinda hosed up of you.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Camera decided to die with dignity, so stuck with terrible phone pictures from my terrible phone.

A Strawberry Frangipane Tart

Potato Salad (roast garlic mayon, borage, chives)

Cider Braised Pork Belly, Maple / Anise / Corriander Seed Glazed Cracklings, Apple Sauce with Fennel Seed, Cider Braised Fennel, Pea Puree (was much much greener), Beetroots, a Charred Shallot and Braising Liquor.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Cavenagh posted:

A Strawberry Frangipane Tart

:confused: Are those... googly eyes?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Praeda posted:

:confused: Are those... googly eyes?

i am really glad i'm not the only one with that immediate reaction

would eat it, googly eyes included

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
But googly eyes nontheless!!!

I vote kill and eat, because that's one lovely Strawberry Frangipane Tart

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like the idea of making a tart so good that the individual fruits gradually gain sentience.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
The eyes are the sweetest part of the strawberry.

Being made of sugar and all.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Made some Khao Soi last weekend using Andy Ricker's Pok Pok recipe and it turned out great. This is the food I craved the most after visiting Chiang Mai.

Recipe: https://luckypeacharchive.wordpress.com/2017/03/17/khao-soi-kai/

I used premade red curry from a can but otherwise the rest of the recipe was followed exactly.

I mixed the oil, curry paste, powder and turmeric powder together in a 5.5qt dutch oven and heated it up. Stir until it was quite fragrant but not burned (similar to how I start a red curry soup but with yellow powder and turmeric).

Then I added in the fish sauce, soy sauce, palm sugar (which is a ton but I'm not usually making enough food for 4-6 people), and salt. Continued to stir until the sugar was well incorporated.

The chicken was added and coated and left to simmer for a minute before the coconut milk was added.

I let this cook until the chicken was nice and tender, occasionally stiring while allowing it to maintain a very slow simmer.

Once it was done, I fried some wheat egg noddles a handful at a time. These are to be placed on top of the soup (containing the same noodles but boiled).

The Curry and chicken have been plated with some boiled noodles

Finished dish with the fried noodles on top with additional toppings like raw shallots, cilantro and lime wedges. Extra coconut cream has been added after each bowl was initially dished before the noodles were placed on top.

For added heat for those that desired it, we had previously made a batch of naam phrik(? roasted chili paste), which is not to be hosed with.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fried harissa eggplant, scratch hummus, and laffa!

If I hadn't been so desperately hungry I'd have thought twice about that filter in that lighting, but that's what I got now.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

atothesquiz posted:

Made some Khao Soi last weekend using Andy Ricker's Pok Pok recipe and it turned out great. This is the food I craved the most after visiting Chiang Mai.

Recipe: https://luckypeacharchive.wordpress.com/2017/03/17/khao-soi-kai/

I used premade red curry from a can but otherwise the rest of the recipe was followed exactly.

I mixed the oil, curry paste, powder and turmeric powder together in a 5.5qt dutch oven and heated it up. Stir until it was quite fragrant but not burned (similar to how I start a red curry soup but with yellow powder and turmeric).

Then I added in the fish sauce, soy sauce, palm sugar (which is a ton but I'm not usually making enough food for 4-6 people), and salt. Continued to stir until the sugar was well incorporated.

The chicken was added and coated and left to simmer for a minute before the coconut milk was added.

I let this cook until the chicken was nice and tender, occasionally stiring while allowing it to maintain a very slow simmer.

Once it was done, I fried some wheat egg noddles a handful at a time. These are to be placed on top of the soup (containing the same noodles but boiled).

The Curry and chicken have been plated with some boiled noodles

Finished dish with the fried noodles on top with additional toppings like raw shallots, cilantro and lime wedges. Extra coconut cream has been added after each bowl was initially dished before the noodles were placed on top.

For added heat for those that desired it, we had previously made a batch of naam phrik(? roasted chili paste), which is not to be hosed with.

Looks delicious, but I would also highly recommend frying up some of those shallots as another topping because they are unbelievably good with these flavors.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I eat baby skin posted:

Looks delicious, but I would also highly recommend frying up some of those shallots as another topping because they are unbelievably good with these flavors.

And/or fry the skin like the person above did with their pork.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Is there a breakfast thread? Couldn't find one so have some eggs benedict, no English muffin though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Raikiri posted:

Is there a breakfast thread? Couldn't find one so have some eggs benedict, no English muffin though.

Is that a ciabatta roll or a torta roll?

I'd demolish that. Nice yolk runnage.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Is that a ciabatta roll or a torta roll?

I'd demolish that. Nice yolk runnage.

Yeah ciabatta roll, all I had to hand at 7.30 this morning.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Homemade everything but the pasta (the bows were a whim but all the crinkles really grabbed maximum sauce so that was great). Was particularly happy with the sauce, forgot to get anchovies so I subbed in fish sauce and dark soy. Came out just like I like tomato sauces, rich, thick, spicy with lots of oregano and between it and meat balls a good whack of chili and fennel.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Been bbqing a heap recently so had to try cooking a 700g steak with bbq corn in herb butter on a random Saturday. Cooked in a crust of chilli and seasoning, with some home baked bread and horseradish cream.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Slightly more done than I like it but goddamn if that steak doesn't look amazing dude. What a crust.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Recreated one of my old bakery's recipes from memory. Came out pretty close to right:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Serving size: one tray

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Friday night is homemade pizza night! Tried out making dough with the food processor, and made a ham, egg and pineapple one and a Mexican-ish one :)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Recreated one of my old bakery's recipes from memory. Came out pretty close to right:

Pecan sticky buns are the best. When you get the butter / salt amount just right with the sugar...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Homemade corned beef using the ATK recipe. First time curing/corning brisket, and it was absolutely mouth-wateringly delicious.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Tourtiere

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Yesterday was our wedding anniversary, so we celebrated by cooking extravagant stuff. Lobster bisque, a rotisserie'd and smoked prime rib, and lemon tarts.

I guess there were also potatoes.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 9, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
loving hell mate.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

Yesterday was our wedding anniversary, so we celebrated by cooking extravagant stuff. Lobster bisque, a rotisserie'd and smoked prime rib, and lemon tarts.

I guess there were also potatoes.

So uh.

Is this an open marriage? :eyepop:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm gonna need one of those tarts on my desk by five.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hurricane is over, had leftover pepper tofu lettuce bites!

Small portion because I binged hurricane snacks all day

Holy poo poo y'all raw diced shallot and ginger sounds too assertive but it fukkin worked

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Burg thread crosspost:

I quickly burged yesterday.

Burg, burgsauce, mustard, mushrooms, onions. Greasy burger van style.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Bloody mary steak with avocado (recipe)

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Both the steak and burgs look incredible.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

iajanus posted:

Been bbqing a heap recently so had to try cooking a 700g steak with bbq corn in herb butter on a random Saturday. Cooked in a crust of chilli and seasoning, with some home baked bread and horseradish cream.

Looks great! I'd recommend more char on the corn though. Love me some char on grilled corn (then cover in mix of mayonnaise, feta, garlic, lime juice and chili powder)

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I went to the store yesterday planning to just get some basics and spotted this thing that I couldn't resist:

~2lb boneless wagyu chuck roast. I'm trying to decide how to cook it and I can't make up my mind. Smoke? Sous vide? Pot roast? What do you think?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Random Hero posted:

~2lb boneless wagyu chuck roast. I'm trying to decide how to cook it and I can't make up my mind. Smoke? Sous vide? Pot roast? What do you think?

Take some inspiration from Drew:

https://thetakeout.com/drew-magary-ruins-wagyu-steak-1827996474

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Random Hero posted:

I went to the store yesterday planning to just get some basics and spotted this thing that I couldn't resist:

Cut it into steaks, Sousvide it to 129 and sear in its own fat on a cast iron.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ColHannibal posted:

I come here so ya’ll will talk dirty to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

Don't ruin that meat by boiling it.