Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ashcans posted:

Also you can't have anyone pass you on the stairs or come the opposite way, so best to live alone.
As an added bonus from that: when you inevitably fall and break your neck, your body can decompose in peace over the next several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

As an added bonus from that: when you inevitably fall and break your neck, your body can decompose in peace over the next several years.

Rule 1 of rendering assistance in an emergency: don't become a casualty yourself. Sorry boss, guess we'll have to leave him up there.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
This is more strategic crappy construction I guess, but I wanted to share.

This is my attempt at a subsidence map across Mexico City averaged over several 12 day periods in the last year. Red is about 4cm subsidence, black/blue a few mm. I have been learning to create these with SAR imagery from the European Space Agency and some free software they offer to process the data. Basically the satellite takes an image, then 12 days later takes another from almost the same position relative to the ground. By doing some measuring of the change in phase of the radar engergy coming back, you can detect really subtle changes on the ground. Mexico City is the popular example with something like a meter of subsidence per year in parts of the city to to over use of the underground aquifer.

I guess don't buy land there unless you like crazy stuff like this:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leperflesh posted:

I like that even the stairs model is feeling unsafe enough to put his arm on the upstairs floor for stability.

There are like multiple paths to the bottom! It's the rubix cube of stairways.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't understand how people design things like that and think it's a good idea.

Actual photo of my house. The entire ground floor is this, even the kitchen.

I am insured, maybe not insured enough.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

This is my attempt at a subsidence map across Mexico City averaged over several 12 day periods in the last year. Red is about 4cm subsidence, black/blue a few mm. I have been learning to create these with SAR imagery from the European Space Agency and some free software they offer to process the data. Basically the satellite takes an image, then 12 days later takes another from almost the same position relative to the ground. By doing some measuring of the change in phase of the radar engergy coming back, you can detect really subtle changes on the ground. Mexico City is the popular example with something like a meter of subsidence per year in parts of the city to to over use of the underground aquifer.

So this kind of stuff is always fun for me to see: I work for the Alaska Satellite Facility and interferometry is our bread and butter. Sentinel-1A/B is the current hotness with, I believe, C/D coming up soon which will get full-earth coverage like every two days or something (it's currently like 3 or 6 days, I forget), and then NISAR is coming online in a couple years, which should be a lot of fun. Anyhow, we've been doing some work on automatically processing time series from InSAR stacks in the cloud, lets you actually see the waves of crustal deformation over time, I've seen some of these on glaciers and it's pretty nifty, you may want to look into that sort of thing if this is of interest to you! Also, since you said you're learning to do this, I'll plug our Data Recipes set of guides, it's an ever-growing set of step-by-step guides along the lines of "So you wanna do phase unwrapping" and "Let's track glacier velocity" and things like that, you might find them of use! https://www.asf.alaska.edu/asf-tutorials/data-recipes/

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Awesome! Data recipes are always helpful. I have been making stacks in SNAP and pushing them to Google Earth Engine for processing time series stuff and making medians and whatnot. ASF is awesome btw.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

FogHelmut posted:

Actual photo of my house. The entire ground floor is this, even the kitchen.

I am insured, maybe not insured enough.

Yikes. I'd look at putting some kind of contrasting color strip along that...unless you hate your guests.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Awesome! Data recipes are always helpful. I have been making stacks in SNAP and pushing them to Google Earth Engine for processing time series stuff and making medians and whatnot. ASF is awesome btw.

It is! I’ve been there since 2005. Not sure if you’ve used vertex or the search api, but those are projects from my team in particular. We’re actually about to start an all new and hopefully much smoother search UI to replace vertex, which is getting super crufty and long in tooth, to go with the hot new search api my team recently moved to production. Exciting stuff, at least for us developers ;)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Yikes. I'd look at putting some kind of contrasting color strip along that...unless you hate your guests.

Agreed. You could do construction yellow, but Mexican tiles would be so cute.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ashcans posted:

Look, you guys are complaining, but as long as you don't expect your stairs to be used by the elderly, children, people who have been drinking, people with vision problems, people with balance problems, anyone with any degree of disability, the clumsy, someone who could sneeze while on the steps, and you can be certain that your house won't suffer an unexpected blackout or any sort of seismic activity, these steps are almost as good as regular stairs!

Or people wearing socks.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They're called architects.

"Hey, this idea I will never see in person or have to live with seems like a great idea!"

Never forget:

this guy is NOT protected

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Do you have shelves in your house?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyway I'm the white thingamajig inexplicably placed on one of the steps.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Here's some fancy houses to sperg about. Every feature includes a floorplan, including before/after remodels.

http://www.hometrip.jp/
Click the dark grey button "さらに記事を読み込む" on the bottom to view more houses.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

In one of the books I was reading -- and you'll have to forgive me if I can't remember if it was Why Buildings Stand Up or Why Buildings Fall Down -- the author mentions a theater in Mexico that was so heavy that it sank a story as it squeezed the water out of the underlying soil and they had to install stairs down from street level. Then the surrounding area was built up with much larger buildings, which pushed out the water from under those foundations, and said theater shifted upward so far that it now requires stairs up from street level. It has remained intact despite these massive foundation shifts (which is a credit to whoever built that foundation!).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Anyway I'm the white thingamajig inexplicably placed on one of the steps.

That's what I was talking about, plus all the *other* stuff on the steps that they apparently thought were shelves. That one is just egregious.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

My basement steps. Wife picked it out, I didn’t notice the curvy parts in the sample.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

more

This house confuses me.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

there wolf posted:

more

This house confuses me.

That’s....bad rear end?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

there wolf posted:

more

This house confuses me.

This house owns owns owns. Too bad it's in Georgia.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That house is pretty cool, and the stairwell has railings and kind of works? I like it. I even mostly like the colors; when going through the photos I could easily envisage living out a full family life and retirement there, it's strangely appealing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wouldn't pass UK building regulations, unfortunately

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Burt Sexual posted:

My basement steps. Wife picked it out, I didn’t notice the curvy parts in the sample.

She is trying to kill you Burt.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Queen Combat posted:

That house is pretty cool, and the stairwell has railings and kind of works? I like it. I even mostly like the colors; when going through the photos I could easily envisage living out a full family life and retirement there, it's strangely appealing.

It's bit quirky without being over-the-top or looking horribly out of place. The bathroom has plenty of storage; the kitchen has a non-retarded work triangle; the back yard is cute and has a neat stone ruin; and there's a bitchin workshop area. You can tell that whoever built/renovated it into its current state knew pretty much exactly what they wanted. And then keeled the gently caress over before finishing the workshop area.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I guess my deep dislike of spiral staircases isn't shared by everyone. Here's some regular ugly to make up for it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The oven looks like it's going :stonk:

insta
Jan 28, 2009

there wolf posted:

I guess my deep dislike of spiral staircases isn't shared by everyone. Here's some regular ugly to make up for it.

Wait, you posted the house BECAUSE of the spiral staircase? How does it feel to have an opinion that's so incredibly wrong?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

insta posted:

Wait, you posted the house BECAUSE of the spiral staircase? How does it feel to have an opinion that's so incredibly wrong?

Like I'm much smarter than everyone around me, of course. :colbert: Spiral staircases suck, and I feel like everyone who falls over how cool they are has probably never been up or down one with any regularity, much less carrying something. But more than that, this set is placed dead-center in a room so it can take up as much space as possible despite being a space-saving design. It's dumb and y'all are weird for liking it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

there wolf posted:

Like I'm much smarter than everyone around me, of course. :colbert: Spiral staircases suck, and I feel like everyone who falls over how cool they are has probably never been up or down one with any regularity, much less carrying something. But more than that, this set is placed dead-center in a room so it can take up as much space as possible despite being a space-saving design. It's dumb and y'all are weird for liking it.

Man I miss my buttons itt

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can sympathise a bit. I have size 15 feet which means, apart from the nightmare of finding good shoes, that a lot of staircases are drat near deathtraps for me.

Tight spiral staircases especially.

They're like, "Okay, here's room for one foot when you're going down. What about the other foot you ask? gently caress you, that's what."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have size 15 feet...

Username/post combo is on point this morning.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can sympathise a bit. I have size 15 feet which means, apart from the nightmare of finding good shoes, that a lot of staircases are drat near deathtraps for me.

Tight spiral staircases especially.

They're like, "Okay, here's room for one foot when you're going down. What about the other foot you ask? gently caress you, that's what."

It's a sign you were supposed to stay in the basement.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Reminds me of the optical illusion built into the Primorsky/Potemkin Steps in Odessa, Ukraine.

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2014/08/potemkin-stairs-odessa.html

From the top, the steps disappear and the landings seem to form one solid, flat expanse. From the bottom, you don't see the landings, so it looks like a never-ending line of steps up to the horizon.

PROTIP: gently caress the stairs, take the funicular.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

"I want to be able to gently caress on as many surfaces as possible without compromising food prep"

Also that's probably around a thousand bucks in upholstery depending on what materials they used.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Azza Bamboo posted:

The oven looks like it's going :stonk:

It will do when it overheats.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

there wolf posted:

Liberace's old digs?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Ah, European hotel rooms:

That is the room's subpanel.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Ah, European hotel rooms:

That is the room's subpanel.

Uh huh. I've lived in houses powered by something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006