Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I had to make a run to Cincinnati today, and I have to say, I-71 in southern Franklin County is pretty nice compared to the surface of the Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Wrar posted:

I have an LG made Kenmore badged fridge and I've had 0 issues with it.

I love my LG washer and dryer. On top of doing a fantastic job of getting my clothes clean, they play these happy little tunes when the cycle ends like they're just so pleased to have done their job well. :3: If we ever get around to replacing the appliances in the kitchen I'll probably go with LG (or LG-made) ones.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm a serial-vapist

Also I would recommend listening to/starting (if you haven't already) "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. It's very good.

If you want something a little more "popcorny" I would recommend reading Lee Iaccoca's Autobiography. I read it cover to cover this past weekend and enjoyed it.

for some stupid loving reason I can only get book 2 and onward of the dark tower series series on Amazon/audible even if I VPN in from a different country. It says book 1 is ‘no longer available’

But that looks like a pretty drat good option. I’ve never read a Stephen king book and I probably should.

spog posted:

Pratchett? Narrated by Nigel Planer and will prbably make you a happier driver.

Haha. I’ve read them all multiple times (except the last discworld book which I haven’t managed to bring myself to open yet) and have them all on my kindle already lined up as the next things to read.
Would definitely make me a happier driver though!

Ether Frenzy posted:

I was going to suggest the Dark Tower also, but beware that after book 4 the guy who's good at reading (Frank Muller) gets killed in a motorcycle accident and the older guy who takes over (George Guidall) is mushmouthed and difficult to listen to and my interest in listening to the rest of series came to a grinding halt.

For best bang for your Free Audible Credit, Stephen King's "The Stand" is 47 hours and 52 minutes long :eyepop:

Does the narrator read very slowly or is it really that massive a book or full of hard to read stuff?
Ready player one is my first audio book and at a couple of points I wanted to kill Wil Wheaton more than I normally do when he was reading out stuff like scoreboards that you would only glance at in a print book, but instead wasted 5 mins of my life and I couldn’t skip without loosing my place.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Tomarse posted:

Good point. Though ‘people who vape’ should always be referred to as ‘vapists’.

Right. I’ve got to drive roughly 900 miles over the next 2 days (Barcelona - Manchester, uk). Please recommend me some audio books that I can get from Audible (I’ve got 2 free trial ‘tokens’) or somewhere else that will keep me entertained for 18 hours or so.

I listening to ‘ready player one’ as an audiobook on the way here and really enjoyed it (sorry)
I generally read fantasy/sci fi books for relaxation so would prefer something simple in that genre. I’ve just worked through a lot of Neil Gaiman and Ursula Le Guin’s back catalogues on my kindle along with re-reading a load of dragonlance and forgotten realms books that I used to love when I was a teenager in the 90’s.

I’m looking for something that lets me relax at 70mph/110kph on the cruise control for 6 hours straight - not something that makes me think too much (so the fridge corn/adiabetic book of the month is probably out - sorry both)

Vonnegut??

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Magnus Praeda posted:

I love my LG washer and dryer. On top of doing a fantastic job of getting my clothes clean, they play these happy little tunes when the cycle ends like they're just so pleased to have done their job well. :3: If we ever get around to replacing the appliances in the kitchen I'll probably go with LG (or LG-made) ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn3Vv6VYdxw
"Glad to be of service!"

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tomarse posted:

for some stupid loving reason I can only get book 2 and onward of the dark tower series series on Amazon/audible even if I VPN in from a different country. It says book 1 is ‘no longer available’

But that looks like a pretty drat good option. I’ve never read a Stephen king book and I probably should.

Haha. I’ve read them all multiple times (except the last discworld book which I haven’t managed to bring myself to open yet) and have them all on my kindle already lined up as the next things to read.
Would definitely make me a happier driver though!

Does the narrator read very slowly or is it really that massive a book or full of hard to read stuff?
Ready player one is my first audio book and at a I wanted to kill Wil Wheaton more than I normally do when he was reading out stuff like scoreboards that you would only glance at in a print book, but instead wasted 5 mins of my life and I couldn’t skip without loosing my place.

I hate Wil Wheaton with a burning passion and he hates me, even though he doesn’t know me IRL. Long story. Can’t share but this is from 20 years ago and has continued

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

everdave posted:

I hate Wil Wheaton with a burning passion and he hates me, even though he doesn’t know me IRL. Long story. Can’t share but this is from 20 years ago and has continued

Are you Sheldon Cooper?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Never Samsung an appliance. I have had the worst experience with a Samsung Fridge. A 32 cubic foot giant that was supposed to be awesome turn into a literal stinking pile of garbage in three years. Buy the LG, do not buy the Samsung.

I posted at length during this saga in whatever chat thread du jour was upon us. Looking back at it still makes me mad. That was the worst $3K I have ever spent.

I was about to say "Samsung sucks except for their appliances" but I guess they suck too (taking your word for it because I've never owned one).

I feel like everyone always praises Samsung for reasons I'll just chalk up to marketing because most people I know that have owned Samsung products have had horrible experiences. I would just stay away from all their stuff honestly - don't get Samsung'd.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dagen H posted:

I had to make a run to Cincinnati today, and I have to say, I-71 in southern Franklin County is pretty nice compared to the surface of the Moon.

You drove within 5 miles of my house when you went by on the North side. but of course, you'd already know that. :laugh:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

poo poo. Amazon and audibles management of different regional purchases is hosed up.

I’ve heard of him (prior to Listening to RP1 this last week!) but don’t think that I have ever read any of his books! Suggestions for which I should go for first?
I’ve read a lot of books but seem to tend towards series’ and themes and thus miss a lot of authors who don’t write like that :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Tomarse posted:

I’m looking for something that lets me relax at 70mph/110kph on the cruise control for 6 hours straight - not something that makes me think too much (so the fridge corn/adiabetic book of the month is probably out - sorry both)
Sanderson's reckoners series. Or Mistborn.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Tomarse posted:

I’ve heard of him (prior to Listening to RP1 this last week!) but don’t think that I have ever read any of his books! Suggestions for which I should go for first?
I’ve read a lot of books but seem to tend towards series’ and themes and thus miss a lot of authors who don’t write like that :(

Slaughterhouse 5 is his most famous book and the one most people read first but it's not as good as Mother Night which is his best imo, though it's not really sci-fi flavoured. Cat's Cradle is kinda sci-fi-ish and The Sirens of Titan even moreso. All good books, can't go wrong with any of them

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

poo poo. Amazon and audibles management of different regional purchases is hosed up.

I've got the Hitchhikers Guide radio shows and they are quite good for a long listen.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Sanderson's reckoners series. Or Mistborn.

This is the correct answer.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Tomarse posted:

Myths and legends is a fantastic podcast by a guy with a passion for well myths and legends. He researchs the stories and history behind older tales like the Greek myths or what have you, in addition to piecing together a narrative for more scattered folklore like babayaga or the origin of mulan/ariel/etc. I highly recommend them, and you should be able to find them free most places.

The two Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson are also tight as hell, though I enjoyed storm light archives more.

You cannot really go wrong with vonnegut, I'd recommend cats cradle personally.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Since we're doing anecdotes, every single LG product I've owned (all two) have been returned for my money back after warranty work was unable to unfuck them.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

fridge corn posted:

Slaughterhouse 5 is his most famous book and the one most people read first but it's not as good as Mother Night which is his best imo, though it's not really sci-fi flavoured. Cat's Cradle is kinda sci-fi-ish and The Sirens of Titan even moreso. All good books, can't go wrong with any of them

Galapagos is my favorite and (IIRC) one of the longer ones.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Since we're doing anecdotes, every single LG product I've owned (all two) have been returned for my money back after warranty work was unable to unfuck them.

Can confirm, getting a new warranty replacement on my g7 thinq because they didn't learn their lesson with the g6. The only way I can charge it is wireless overnight, the USB C port is a piece of poo poo and throws water intrusion codes after a few months. I haven't even taken this "water proof" phone into the rain.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tomarse posted:

(as someone who doesnt read nearly enough novels) slaughterhouse is a must-read

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Never Samsung an appliance. I have had the worst experience with a Samsung Fridge. A 32 cubic foot giant that was supposed to be awesome turn into a literal stinking pile of garbage in three years. Buy the LG, do not buy the Samsung.

I posted at length during this saga in whatever chat thread du jour was upon us. Looking back at it still makes me mad. That was the worst $3K I have ever spent.

good thing i'm only spending 1200bux on it! i dont need any fridge frills, just give me french doors and freezer on the bottom. definitely not changing my decision on this, whirlpool is the company i dont want anything to do with since the fridge we had in house #1 was so lovely it had a slow leak from the freezer's auto-defrost thing that caused 10k in water damage i will never trust them again.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 27, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have already documented it here but I still have my insane non working kenmore elite seats hosed me on. We use a dorm fridge and the 25 year old GE out in my workshop. I have a new compressor from eBay and no one will put it in. I’ve asked 20 companies easy

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

MomJeans420 posted:

Goddamn, must be the price in a state like CA or NY? I don't know what I thought a pack costs now, but I would have guessed ~$7. poo poo, you could probably smoke weed cheaper than that in CA, at least before it went from medical -> fully legal, and got a lot more regulated and expensive.

You want properly horrifying? The average pack of cigs in Australia is over AU$40 a pack.

So a pack a day habit is costing you AU$1200 a month. That’s half my mortgage payments!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Myths and legends is a fantastic podcast by a guy with a passion for well myths and legends. He researchs the stories and history behind older tales like the Greek myths or what have you, in addition to piecing together a narrative for more scattered folklore like babayaga or the origin of mulan/ariel/etc. I highly recommend them, and you should be able to find them free most places.

The two Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson are also tight as hell, though I enjoyed storm light archives more.

You cannot really go wrong with vonnegut, I'd recommend cats cradle personally.
Stormlight is awesome, but he specified not too heavy, and stormlight is like solid lead from a weight standpoint. Mistborn, reckoners, and even warbreaker are much lighter.

e: I just started Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (well, 80% done with it) and its pretty good so far.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 27, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ferremit posted:

The average pack of cigs in Australia is over AU$40 a pack.

This isnt horrifying, this is awesome.Tax that murderous piece of poo poo worthless waste of an industry into oblivion frankly, that's the best way to see it gone. Let alone it's brilliant to walk around and there's gently caress all smokers making me cough with their second hand death.

Taxing the poo poo of of the tobacco industry and dragging those cunts into being forced to have plain packaging is probably one of the better things the Aust govt has done lately.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

64bit_Dophins posted:

I was about to say "Samsung sucks except for their appliances" but I guess they suck too (taking your word for it because I've never owned one).

I feel like everyone always praises Samsung for reasons I'll just chalk up to marketing because most people I know that have owned Samsung products have had horrible experiences. I would just stay away from all their stuff honestly - don't get Samsung'd.

I used to repair samsung fridges for a living. I own an LG fridge, washing machine and dishwasher.(E: well the ex does now...)

The second gen samsung was OK (dual evap) - broke all the time but I knew how to fix it so I personally would buy one cheap second hand. But after that generation they got worse and single evap so offered nothing over the competition.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 27, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Not trying to sound edgy or cool here. Honestly, I think the sin tax is bullshit and hate the fact I am being forced to give up something I enjoy because the cost has been artificially inflated.

As soon as I think I can afford to, I will start again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today was a good day but I got mandated fro weekend overtime so I have to miss a wedding and that sucks. I used to haaaaaate weddings but these days I really like attending them. Something about people finding joy in others I guess.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fermented Tinal posted:

Honestly, I think the sin tax is bullshit and hate the fact I am being forced to give up something I enjoy because the cost has been artificially inflated.

We have universal healthcare and smokers place an unnecessary burden on that system, why wouldn't they ask them (or us, before we quit) to chip in a few extra bucks on the other end?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Maybe beer should be $5/bottle to offset the burden placed on the system by alcoholics too, then.

I got no problem chipping in a couple extra bucks, but of that $13.50/pack I was paying, over $10 was tax and there's no guarantee that 100%, or even 10% of that tax went to OHIP.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 27, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Fermented Tinal posted:

Maybe beer should be $5/bottle to offset the burden placed on the system by alcoholics too, then.

It is. A case of good beer is $50+, bottle of whiskey $35 plus. From what I read about bourbon and stuff there, what costs US$17 there is $45 here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Our insurance provider penalizes excessive alcohol use and is flat out canceling smoker's coverage.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Fo3 posted:

It is. A case of good beer is $50+, bottle of whiskey $35 plus. From what I read about bourbon and stuff there, what costs US$17 there is $45 here.

True enough, we have some of the highest prices for most booze due to taxes, but the really expensive booze has almost no tax at all. LCBO literally exists to ensure that the rich can get their booze cheap and the poor have to pay through the teeth to subsidize it.

Otoh, a bottle of beer doesn't go up in price by a dollar every couple years while Pall Malls have increased in price by almost $5 since I switched to them four years ago after Number 7s broke the $11 barrier.

Rhyno posted:

Our insurance provider penalizes excessive alcohol use and is flat out canceling smoker's coverage.

I pay my taxes, I cannot be denied coverage. :toot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah but you Canadian right?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but you Canadian right?

Yeah, they are. Definitely not australian because a pack of smokes is $35 here.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Otoh, a bottle of beer doesn't go up in price by a dollar every couple years...
It seems to. Last time I bought longnecks (I used to by them when I felt like 2-3 beers as I could use the bottles for homebrew or tomato sauce), anyway, last time I bought them they were like $4 5 years ago.
I was suprised when my brother bought one a month ago and they were $8.
I used to get 6 packs of stubbies/cans for $14, and now they're ~$22

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 27, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I know what true cold feels like and what real rust looks like.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Depends on the state! Pennsylvania has an 18% tax on alcohol built into the shelf price, to which the 6% sales tax is added. That 18% includes paying for the Johnstown flood of 1936, and the Centralia Coal Fires. Folks in the southeast part of the state often happen to buy booze in Delware, which has lower state taxes, and no sales tax.

Also in PA, until VERY recently, you could only by a 6 pack in a bar, even/specifically for "to go". Cases were sold at distributors, and wine and liquor were in state stores with limited selection. Now grocery stores are able to buy bar/cabaret licenses to sell wine and beer to go. It's so weird.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Ready for 2 weeks at the beach

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

How do they know?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Last city I lived in was an older, first ring suburb. One of the larger cities within DFW (about 235k people). They had 5 or 6 libraries.

The city I'm in now has <70k people and ONE library (2 zip codes for the whole city). It's only recently (well, since 2010) exploded as people have discovered how much cheaper it is vs living in Austin proper (also people here think 15 miles to downtown is really far, vs the nearly 30 from my old place to downtown Dallas).

I finally got a library card today, after almost 2 months of living here. Took long enough.

So why is it the one library here offers ebooks, audiobooks online, Kindle lending, online payment of late fees, accepts credit/debit cards, when the much more established library system in my old city barely has an online catalog? (it's the same backend provider, so they COULD offer all this stuff... they just don't).

Nice thing is they participate in TexShare, so once I've had my card for 3 months (and pay any fees I rack up), I can get a TexShare card... which gets me access to the UT Austin library. And Austin Public Libraries system.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 27, 2018

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Why on earth would you smoke cigarettes, they do not get anyone high and they cost $$$$ fucktons. You're seriously paying "A sweet car's monthly payment" to not get high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

One of GF's cats just went full apeshit on me. I'm leaking a bit of red from my neck, shoulder, and arm, and the fucker ripped my brand new (literally worn once, I bought it yesterday) shirt clawing me.

This fucker is the most bipolar cat I've ever seen. He wants to be my BFF most of the time, then goes into gently caress YOU, I WILL loving END YOU RIGHT THE gently caress NOW, DESPITE THE 170 POUND DIFFERENCE BETWEEN US mode at random. This was the worst so far. All I did was walk by, and he launched up my leg, climbed my shirt, then perched on my shoulder trying to rip me apart, while hissing and growling.

I'm starting to hate (some) cats.

• Locked thread