Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
But...but Paradox-Style Grand Strategy!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The artwork really sells 'orc PUA' imo

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

fool_of_sound posted:

Real time with pause it atrocious and any Dev who uses it should be imprisoned for their crimes.

I've enjoyed plenty of RTWP RPGs but I can't really say that any of them are *better* than they would be as turn-based games

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

dwarf74 posted:

Well, you see, they had none other than Ryan "The Steve Jobs of MMO Marketing" Dancey on-board. How could they fail?!

Also "paralyzed and on life support" has been the PFO status quo for like two years or so, now. The servers will probably stay online until the last of the faithful die-hards finally stop paying their exorbitatnt subscription fees.

I wonder what the story behind PFO's approval was, if only because I want to hope there was more to it than Dancey really selling the beauty of a genuine, bona fide, electrified, six-car mmo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean a big part of it is “we can crowdfund this and sequester the production in such a way that Paizo has no financial risk whatsoever” which is a pretty good deal

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

$85, huh?

I know that has to be one of those "prices artificially inflated to prevent backer rioting", but that it still feels like a joke I missed the first two parts of.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Huh a circus was the first thing you saw after getting out of the starting dungeon in BG2.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alien Rope Burn posted:

$85, huh?

I know that has to be one of those "prices artificially inflated to prevent backer rioting", but that it still feels like a joke I missed the first two parts of.

That's the absurd edition. The normal game is $40.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I assumed it was from Australia or something along those lines.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's 75 of my funny money which is uhh... 19 dollaridoos?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

King of Solomon posted:

That's the absurd edition. The normal game is $40.

Still too much for an isometric RPG unless the graphics are like really good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kwyndig posted:

Still too much for an isometric RPG unless the graphics are like really good.

Not at all. Divinity and Pillars of Eternity are at the same price range.

But this is a subjective thing.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ah, gaming is finally acknowledging proud cuckolds :unsmith:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Also having played both Divinity and Kingmaker, Divinity and Divinity II are objectively superior isometric rpgs. I have to question at least some of Kingmaker's more micromanagement intensive design, including charging as a toggleable ability and low initiative scores modeled by a lengthened cooldown prior to your first action.

Also Pillars 2 is decent, but I can't help but feel that the most of what it offers is just 'fixing what made Pillars 1 less enjoyable.'

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Original Sin made me want to give myself the Phinneas Gage treatment by the fifth loop of its merchants' dialogue.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

The Crotch posted:

Original Sin made me want to give myself the Phinneas Gage treatment by the fifth loop of its merchants' dialogue.

"I'm the man with many cheeses!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fool_of_sound posted:

Real time with pause it atrocious and any Dev who uses it should be imprisoned for their crimes.
:emptyquote:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Spiteski posted:

"I'm the man with many cheeses!"

It's "nobody has as many friends as the man with many cheeses" hth

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bedlamdan posted:

Ah, gaming is finally acknowledging proud cuckolds :unsmith:

I am fairly certain the game is not trying to make this guy out to be in the right, given that he is chaotic evil.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Also in Kingmaker, feats like cleave have to be used manually after you meet the conditions for activating them. So if a character meets the prerequisite for Cleave (killing an enemy), you have a small window in which the Cleave ability is now selectable and must be used on a nearby target manually. Which is pretty tedious and super micro-managey.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am fairly certain the game is not trying to make this guy out to be in the right, given that he is chaotic evil.

I'm fairly certain they're not even actually trying to make a commentary about cuckolding, actually.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay so what other virtual tabletop actually works besides roll20

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

It's "nobody has as many friends as the man with many cheeses" hth

It's been a while since I played it. That'll show me for not going back and checking.

Edit: ^^^ Obligatory Fantasy Grounds plug. It's still my VTT of choice for most things, otherwise Discord + a dicerolling bot is pretty great.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are you asking because of the reddit thing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

Are you asking because of the reddit thing

kinda sorta? My group already doesn't use their voice/video because it never works, so it's not like I was missing out on a lot besides the map and tokens

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
There's always Maptool!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What's wrong with Roll20?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also yeah I've been using maptools every week for like 5 years so it's definitely an option.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Roll20 is basically the only modern one without horrific technical problems

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gradenko_2000 posted:

Maptool is pretty good if you know how to use it. Tons of customizability

alg posted:

Roll20 is basically the only modern one without horrific technical problems

Fantasy Grounds and Maptool don't really have any horrific tech problems. They are just "Cost Money" in Fantasy Grounds' case and "Require some know-how" in Maptool's case.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

kinda sorta? My group already doesn't use their voice/video because it never works, so it's not like I was missing out on a lot besides the map and tokens

Why would you care about the reddit thing? The dumb moderating decision on the roll20 subreddit doesn't affect you in any way, does it? It sure as hell doesn't for me.

Dec 26, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

Idk, how many of the old infinity engine games let you make your entire party and at the start of the game? It makes a lot of sense to limit you to mostly pregens, both to ensure some difficulty by limiting toolkit and also to make up for any lack of system mastery the player might lack (or counter their urge to build something optimal in tabletop that just doesn't work on the pc)
Like nwn was a pretty fun game, but powerwise you the scary 'I win' wizard build was more like what Monte Cook and the early 3rd devs thought would dominate the table, going for all the charm spells not so much.

As mentioned, nearly all of them...and also as mentioned, Pillars lets you do it out of the gate pretty much. Especially given the nature of the module it seems like a weird omission, if anything I'd expect the opposite from it.

fool_of_sound posted:

True.

Bedlamdan posted:

charging as a toggleable ability and low initiative scores modeled by a lengthened cooldown prior to your first action.

Bedlamdan posted:

Also in Kingmaker, feats like cleave have to be used manually after you meet the conditions for activating them. So if a character meets the prerequisite for Cleave (killing an enemy), you have a small window in which the Cleave ability is now selectable and must be used on a nearby target manually. Which is pretty tedious and super micro-managey.

This is somehow worse than I expected.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fool_of_sound posted:

Why would you care about the reddit thing? The dumb moderating decision on the roll20 subreddit doesn't affect you in any way, does it? It sure as hell doesn't for me.

I already conceded that the fact that roll20 works is a big bullet point, I was just wondering if there were any alternatives

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fool_of_sound posted:

What is this "reddit thing" you all are talking about?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Yawgmoth posted:

They banned some dude from the roll20 subreddit because they thought he was another formerly banned user. He sent them a message asking why, they said "you're this guy", he said "no I'm not" and asked to be unbanned, and it basically spiralled from there into a complete shitshow.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Maptool is pretty good if you know how to use it. Tons of customizability

Fantasy Grounds and Maptool don't really have any horrific tech problems. They are just "Cost Money" in Fantasy Grounds' case and "Require some know-how" in Maptool's case.

I used maptool for several years before Roll20 came out. Lots of java/stack size problems, constant problems with fog of war/large assets, and you have to always be on the lookout for firewall/router changes. Roll20 is in a browser and works on almost any device, no troubleshooting required.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

One of the roll20 heads banned a dude, thinking he was a rereg of a guy who he had banned a year prior for a generally pretty reasonable criticism post. When the wrongly-banned guy appealed, he said 'nope better safe than sorry' and refused to unban him. The guy posts about this on the dnd reddit, and the roll20 reddit gets brigaded. A bunch of people get banned, then all the roll20 mods step down and implement community mods instead, and apologize, but the actual guy who caused the shitstorm is nowhere to be seen and posted something snarky and passive aggressive on twitter. It's all super loving dumb.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

"I wonder if there are alternatives to this company's product" isn't exactly a silly thing to think when the company is run/owned by the sort of idiot who mishandles communicating with other idiots to the point where you get whatever this current shitshow is supposed to be.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

"I wonder if there are alternatives to this company's product" isn't exactly a silly thing to think when the company is run/owned by the sort of idiot who mishandles communicating with other idiots to the point where you get whatever this current shitshow is supposed to be.

I don't really have any reason to care what a few dozen loudmouthed idiots on reddit think, regardless of what the guy did. It in no way impacts the actual service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

AlphaDog posted:

People have been banned from SA for stupider things. And yet we are all still here. And it's still a million times better than Reddit.