Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I mean his Twitter IS pretty lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay, yeah, but there's a line between lame and :byodame:.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Crocoswine posted:

I mean his Twitter IS pretty lame

It is, but sometimes I need that lame in my day to day

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Pull up McElroy thread

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Yeah, there's a bunch of people laying into the McElroys and Travis specifically in those threads. And as was said, one person started a thread by very dramatically posting a screencap of them unsubbing from MBMBAM. They want for him to be a lovely white guy ally real super bad.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
This isn't quite DiGiorno's #whyIstayed bad, but someone in the Polygon thread said that this is basically the most Travis thing. Misunderstanding a hashtag and using a picture of himself to do it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SpacePig posted:

This isn't quite DiGiorno's #whyIstayed bad, but someone in the Polygon thread said that this is basically the most Travis thing. Misunderstanding a hashtag and using a picture of himself to do it.
being a huge spaz is extremely on brand

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Yeah, there's a bunch of people laying into the McElroys and Travis specifically in those threads. And as was said, one person started a thread by very dramatically posting a screencap of them unsubbing from MBMBAM. They want for him to be a lovely white guy ally real super bad.

At what point does pointing out others' performative allyship cross the line into performative allyship itself?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Travis irks me in a way I can't really put a finger on

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I found the McElroys through polygon, so Travis has always felt like a shoe in. But I'd be a filthy liar if I didn't say that he loving nails jokes sometimes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Well I've got great news for them!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Travis irks me in a way I can't really put a finger on

He's a super try hard but still funny on the funny podcast.

Thank Travis for Travis.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
travis legit has narcissistic personality disorder which is more of an excuse than a lot of people have in cases like this

ymmv how much it actually excuses, of course

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I get what people are saying but at the same time, I'll always remember how I didn't cry during election night 2016 (just sat under some tables numbly), and then on the way to work the next morning I listened to a short audio file Travis recorded for Twitter where he just said stuff like "it'll be OK guys, we're all in this together and we'll get through it," and drat if I didn't start weeping on the sidewalk. The world can be hostile and it's nice that there are some people who've made opposition to that hostility their brand, even if I don't always need it personally.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That was the whole I Am Holding Your Hand thing, right?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

um excuse me posted:

That was the whole I Am Holding Your Hand thing, right?

Oh yeah, that's right! I forgot about that part.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think I just personally don't like Brands or being pandered to and Travis is 100% branding and pandering. good for him for having a hustle, I guess

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Really sad how many people think Travis isn’t sincere and is just trying to brand himself.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea this was 100% Trav sincerely and genuinely thinking this was just a thing everyone is doing to help. Like, you can do performative dumb stuff with fully good intentions and a good heart. I'm sure a lot of people doing that dumb safety pin thing post election genuinely were trying to be kind.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I figure Travis is sincere. I still don't understand going out of your way to be upset about something so innocuous as a hashtag. At me when Travis runs a fundraiser for survivors and makes off with most of the money as administrative costs.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

Yea this was 100% Trav sincerely and genuinely thinking this was just a thing everyone is doing to help. Like, you can do performative dumb stuff with fully good intentions and a good heart. I'm sure a lot of people doing that dumb safety pin thing post election genuinely were trying to be kind.

Is it this, or are people just damage controling for Travis because they like his podcasts?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

fadam posted:

Is it this, or are people just damage controling for Travis because they like his podcasts?

it's this

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Travis has a long way to go before he reaches the level of dan "i didn't know pirates stole stuff" ryckert

There are people out there who are absolutely looking for reasons to unsub from people. just watch the polygon thread when a subtweet about harassment happened, and everyone just started talking about "I can't enjoy Gill & Gilbert because what if the completely unspecific allegation was about THEM"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I hate the term "virtue signalling", it's used to dismiss just about anyone who cares about things on the internet, but.....

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

flatluigi posted:

travis legit has narcissistic personality disorder which is more of an excuse than a lot of people have in cases like this

ymmv how much it actually excuses, of course

Does he actually? Like, I know he has mentioned it but then qualifies it with not being professionally diagnosed. He seems less narcissistic and more like a dude in the entertainment industry.

As for the tweet, Travis is dumb y'all. He's at least seems to have shut up and realized he looked dumb. People should save the dragging and callouts for the dudes who then decide that because someone was mean to them during their performative nothing gesture that they're no longer an ally.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I mean the person who made the "gently caress off" tweet said "this is the last straw", which, you know, means that this is a small nothing on its own but piled up with a bunch of other annoying things Travis has done has made them want to stop consuming McElroy content.

Which I have sympathy for. Consider the context, this is an extremely dark and sensitive topic of conversation going on in the hashtag, in relation to the world really doubling down on the whole "hating women" thing. Then here comes that annoying jokeman implying he's a victim too, then no, just posting a selfie lol whatever! It's crass, and you're feeling vulnerable, so gently caress that guy.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

fadam posted:

eke out posted:

it's this

Personally, the reason I like this podcast is because I like all three brothers as people. They, and Travis in particular, have always struck me as very genuine. I have no reason to believe this was anything but an honest screwup, and while I’m not going to criticize anyone else for choosing to stop listening to a podcast, I don’t appreciate being accused of being a sychophant.

EDIT: Also, I thought that one tweet making fun of Travis to the tune of the spider man theme was pretty funny and I’m surprised it got a negative reaction here. Come on. You gotta admit that was good.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 27, 2018

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Travis was definitely being nice and sincere with this, and he also definitely deserves to get dunked on for it

What a weird and honestly pretty crass meme

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Travis McElroy is nothing if not an earnest motherfucker

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Travis jumps into things with his whole heart and the best intentions, which unsurprisingly tends to mix poorly with Twitter.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I can see how a selfie in that context could be intended as "here I am, standing with you and not afraid to show it to the world" but unfortunately it seems to have come of to some as more of a "I'm with you, but let's also take a moment to look at a picture of me" vibe to some people. I think it's all good in the hood though, hopefully everyone involved can move on with their lives without too much extra consternation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Great, now that the conversation is ending on a good note, let's change the subject before it stops being that.

Am I the only one who found TAZ Commitment to be kind of... lackluster? I mean, Dust had great characters, and Amnesty has a lot going for it, but Commitment felt fairly mediocre.

A Long Way Down
Jul 14, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Great, now that the conversation is ending on a good note, let's change the subject before it stops being that.

Am I the only one who found TAZ Commitment to be kind of... lackluster? I mean, Dust had great characters, and Amnesty has a lot going for it, but Commitment felt fairly mediocre.

I feel like Commitment had good ideas but Clint had a hard time turning those ideas in to actual game play. I'd be interested in them revisiting it but Clint needs to work on his GMing and Griffin needs to stop GMing from the table.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

PMush Perfect posted:

It did suffer from being the first non-Balance arc, so the boys were all still figuring out how to play something that wasn't D&D. (And by that I mean not just learn a new rule set, but also new characters, new motivations, new dynamics, etc.)

It wasn't spectacular but it wasn't even my least favorite of the mini-arcs. That honor goes to the first Amnesty arc, or as I like to call it, "Griffin's Radio Storytime Hour with Guest Appearances by Other McElroys Sometimes". The current show is much better.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

wizzardstaff posted:

It did suffer from being the first non-Balance arc, so the boys were all still figuring out how to play something that wasn't D&D. (And by that I mean not just learn a new rule set, but also new characters, new motivations, new dynamics, etc.)

It wasn't spectacular but it wasn't even my least favorite of the mini-arcs. That honor goes to the first Amnesty arc, or as I like to call it, "Griffin's Radio Storytime Hour with Guest Appearances by Other McElroys Sometimes". The current show is much better.

Goddamnit Barclay should be dead. Clint tried to run him over and rolled a clear success, and Griffin interpreted that to mean "drive skillfully so as to avoid Barclay". No goddamnit, Ned thought he was in a dream and tried to run over the giant Bigfoot! And from a dice standpoint, he succeeded!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PMush Perfect posted:

Commitment had a very strong "first time DM who isn't quite sure where the story is or how to reign his players in or how quickly things should be moving" vibe, which is probably because that was exactly what was happening. I didn't mind it, and I think it finds it's stride near the end once everyone has their powers and Clint decided where he wanted things to be headed, but I can understand why other people might find that frustrating.

Of course, the best things about Commitment were:

1.) Dad Maps (and the guys reaction to those Dad Maps).

2.) After several years of being ragged on for forgetting to do a character voice Clint McElroy is revealed to be extremely good with character voices and manages to remember to do several different ones, leading me to suspect that much of his "forgetting" to do Merle's character voice is just him trolling his sons.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think Merle’s incompetence as a cleric was a master stroke of character building. Obviously in Amnesty Clint is very capable of thinking on the fly and using absurd or clever ways to go about a situation. Clint is a good dad and seems like a fun guy to have play in your campaigns

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think the difference between him playing Merle and Ned is that he doesn't have to keep track of spells or their effects, and he can basically just say what he wants to do and see if he does it. He's a very good role player, and can be really creative, but he's not great at memorizing exactly what he can do as a magic man.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You all are forgetting the best miniarc: Four Sherlock Holmes and a Vampire. :colbert:

Absolutely worth the Maximum Fun donation by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I wonder how much of the not understanding spells was also a put on. I think in some TTAZZ episodes they mention Clint plays a lot of Fallout and other games like that, so it's not like he has no experience with how role playing games with skill management like that work. Quite a few times, most recently in last week's live ep, the 'forgetful dad' moments seemed like a way to try to get away with doing spells and actions he absolutely shouldn't have.

I also think Merle's lack of a voice was always a joke the boys were in on, because he did character voices for a living as a radio host for decades. A lot of Griffin's voices started as takes on Clint's characters, I believe.