Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What the hell happens next?
This poll is closed.
They literally set fire to the ring by accident 2 2.22%
They literally set fire to the ring on purpose 6 6.67%
Film 6 months of content accidentally using WWE prop belts 6 6.67%
Rehire Jeff Jarrett 23 25.56%
Start splicing in archival footage of AJ Styles and pretending it's current 23 25.56%
Accidentally switch the live Pop TV feed to the WWE Network 6 6.67%
Lose the keys to the production truck, film 6 months of content in the parking lot with a Samsung 7 7.78%
Sue a fan who flips the bird on air, lose all company rights to said fan 13 14.44%
Somehow everything gets good and they start making money (Comedy Option) 4 4.44%
Total: 90 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

dsriggs posted:

In fairness, there were so many lunks on WWE TV at the time, they couldn’t keep abreast of them all

I'd completely forgotten he existed until this thread jogged my mammary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn’t they change the Wrestlemania match because Nathan Jones disappeared into the outback during a tour of Australia?
Nah, it was literally advertised as a tag match up until like... the show itself, I think? On the actual night, he got "laid out" backstage by A-Train and Big Show, making the match a handicap match, but Jones recovered and ran out to... not turn on Undertaker, just attack Big Show and let Undertaker win.

To give to an idea of how bad and green Nathan Jones was, here's a timeline of his WWE career:

March 2001: starts wrestling, period
November 2002: starts doing squash house show matches for WWE
February 2003: debuts on Smackdown as Undertaker's protege
February-April 2003: appears on TV but never given a match
Wrestlemania XIX: pulled from the match as discussed above for being too green
April 8, 2003: Has his first televised match, beating Bill Demott in 1:20
April 15, 2003: Second televised match, beating Shannon Moore in 0:53

[sent back to developmental to get better]

November 2003: brought back as part of BROCK LESNAR'S TEAM OF MONSTERS (Lesnar, Matt Morgan, A-Train, Big Show, Jones) for Survivor Series, is allowed to have short matches with Benoit and Angle and some multiman matches

November 25, 2003: Has his fifth televised singles match, beating Shannon Moore in 2:31

December 6, 2003: Arrives in Perth for WWE Australian Tour, quits and leaves before the show

2008: Signs with TNA, gets hit by a cement truck, never actually wrestles for them

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It was all worth it for Nathan Jones in Mad Max Fury Road

Sometimes you have to have lows to make it to the highs

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Edge & Christian posted:

2008: Signs with TNA, gets hit by a cement truck, never actually wrestles for them

more detail about the cement truck thing since holy poo poo

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/giant-actor-wrestler-nathan-jones-hit-by-truck-in-bangkok-897526.htm

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The best thing Nate Jones ever did in WWE was when they showed a video of Undertaker "training" him before a show, where he was running drills with a couple of jobbers while Taker yelled instructions from the corner. One of the jobbers accidentally hits Jones, who basically loses his mind and just starts murdering them while Undertaker is screaming,"NATE! NATE! STOP NATE! NOOOOO! NATE NOOOOOOOO :gonk:" from the corner.

It was loving beautiful.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jones using WWE to basically get a free flight home is great

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So did Nathan Jones actually lactate thanks to all of the steroids? I now had massive mantits thanks to them but everyone jokes about him lactating and I have no idea if it even happened.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Champion of the month, right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPjTZlmo2UI

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Edge & Christian posted:

Yeah, the Abyss thing was 2005-6 I think, and if you look at what Undertaker was doing at Wrestlemania/in general at that point, they were definitely looking to go more "Monster of the Week" than what the streak turned into.

2003: pencilled in as Nathan Jones, then turned into a tag match of Nathan Jones & Undertaker vs. A-Train and Big Show, then turned into a handicap match because they didn't even trust Nathan Jones in a tag match
2004: pencilled in as Mordecai, instead they did a Kane rematch
2005: Randy Orton, which they at least played up as part of The Streak/Legend Killer thing
2006: Mark Henry in a casket match

In between there they had him feuding with Great Khali, Heidenreich, Luther Reigns, Muhammad Hassan... honestly Abyss would have been an upgrade for most of his feuds in that period.

The Great Khali feud was probably one of the better uses of Great Khali but yes. Man, Nathan Jones, there's a name I haven't thought of in a while.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't know why they didn't fire Jones.

He was tall.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Nathan Jones was pretty good in the very small part he had in Troy as angry giant that Achilles clowns on

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
World of Sport Wrestling on ITV in the UK went full TNA on their show today:

https://twitter.com/themib/status/1043517055381766144

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

actually laughed out loud when i clicked the tweet and saw there was another rule bullet point in the image cut off by the tweet embed

You know it's an A+ match type when it takes longer to read or hear the description of it than to watch the match of it

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

It's like they took BattleBowl and decided the whole event should be one match instead of nine.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Well worth your time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lgEhpoArVg

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

This as well:

https://twitter.com/vicecanada/status/1044987464220172289

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

That match with Cage was probably the best intergender match I've ever seen.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Watching Impact - really wish that Tessa / Fabi match was longer, was still fun tho. Taya vs Tessa at BFG seems like a cool match up too.
I fuckin' LOVE Eddie's current persona, holy poo poo, Alisha was good as a voice of reason. Johnny still stiff as a board on the mic.
Cage is amazing.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

does anyone want to go to the tv tapings in vegas next month

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I love Tessa Blanchard and am glad she's murdering people for money. And prowrestling too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

coconono posted:

I love Tessa Blanchard and am glad she's murdering people for money. And prowrestling too.

i watched dijak kick her in the face at wrestlecircus and man was i not feelin that

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i watched dijak kick her in the face at wrestlecircus and man was i not feelin that

... good?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah international stars shouldn’t be selling for florida shindie geeks

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

STONE COLD 64 posted:

does anyone want to go to the tv tapings in vegas next month

Yeah I think so... Plus my folks moved to Nevada not too long ago, so I could pay them a visit again.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/WithSpandex/status/1047566967777976321

lmao he wasn't wrong

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sting's tna run > nakamura's wwe run

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Super No Vacancy posted:

not wrong

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sad but true. RIP Nakamura

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Super No Vacancy posted:

You know it's sad but true...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I remember when people called me dumb for saying adding rap rock lyrics to the his theme was a really bad idea

"No, you see, its genius because people like that theme and hes a bad guy now so they dont want him to have something they like"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Being a TNA main eventer for 10 years is the only reason he's in the Observer Hall of Fame.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Being a TNA main eventer for 10 years is the only reason he's in the Observer Hall of Fame.

*pulls out some oven mitts*

Hold on lemme grab that take for a sec

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

*pulls out some oven mitts*

Hold on lemme grab that take for a sec

Sting quickly fell off the ballot when he was on pre TNA. Being a highly paid main eventer who never lost for years and years made people think of him more as a legend instead of a guy who flopped time after time in WCW and had one short hot run. TNA bent over backwards to present him as a legend and it helped. The Mania match put him over the hump but he wouldn't have even been on the ballot at that point.

Just look at Luger who had nearly identical career except was a slightly better draw. Fell off the ballot and never came close. The difference was Sting had that TNA run.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I still don't understand why people would ever argue about the observer hall of fame

It's somehow more pointless than arguing about the WWE hall of fame - neither of which actually exist but at least one gives out fancy rings and has a ceremony

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I still don't understand why people would ever argue about the observer hall of fame

It's somehow more pointless than arguing about the WWE hall of fame - neither of which actually exist but at least one gives out fancy rings and has a ceremony

The Observer Hall of Fame has actual criteria and a huge diverse cast of voters so it's actually interesting to debate merit, same way you would baseball. It's a very well thought out hall of fame and the wrestlers kind of care about it too.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

The Observer Hall of Fame has actual criteria and a huge diverse cast of voters so it's actually interesting to debate merit, same way you would baseball. It's a very well thought out hall of fame and the wrestlers kind of care about it too.

I mean I see that you care about it alot because you're usually the one debating people about it but I dunno man

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Serious question - Dave is nearing 60 now and if the observer is important to the wrestling community has it ever been discussed or addressed about it continuing in the event he wasn't around anymore

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I mean I see that you care about it alot because you're usually the one debating people about it but I dunno man

It's cool if you don't care but there's hundreds of wrestlers voting in it so people in the business care.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

It's cool if you don't care but there's hundreds of wrestlers voting in it so people in the business care.

I take it personally when people diminish the legacy of my childhood hero surfer sting

Edit: Seriously though didn't mean to cause a slapfight about the observer hall of fame

I also didn't know it had wrestlers voting in it and my question above was real

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I take it personally when people diminish the legacy of my childhood hero surfer sting

I don't think it's diminishing his legacy to say his time in TNA was better than in WCW, which was better than in WWE

He did dumb poo poo in all three companies but was only allowed to be a star in, and carry, one company. Hogan wasn't allowing it for long in WCW, Vince/HHH were too petty to allow it even briefly in WWE

TNA did far too many dumb things to ever try to count (rip LOLTNA wiki), but I'll never understand criticizing them for overall treatment of Sting or Christian