Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I know that none of these allegations will see light in a court of law. But Kavanaugh is a loving rapist and no matter what happens I'm glad he will forever be known as one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
First week of October now

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Tangentially relevant to the missiles incoming tweet of doom, today is the anniversary of Stanislav Petrov defying his orders and not reporting the clouds above kansas as a missile launch

e: Hail Satan!

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 27, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

As Nero Danced posted:

Tangentially relevant to the missiles incoming tweet of doom, today is the anniversary of Stanislav Petrov defying his orders and not reporting the clouds above kansas as a missile launch

SS-18 Satan cares not about those who would impede His passage; for He shall bless them also with His cleansing fire.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Niton posted:

https://twitter.com/emilycrockett/status/1045096486500012032

It's even better (worse?) than you could have imagined.

This is gonna turn into another Bill Cosby, where the line of accusiors is gonna go out the door and around the block.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'm now seeing tweets about how they think this might be a GOP decoy as it has an anonymous source to try and make the real accusations seem less serious but holy duck if the quoted tweet is real

Edit: pretty they meant the shoving one cause that's the anonymous one. Sorry I'm really high

So to play devils advocate here, because I certainly never do:

This story does have all the trappings of a GOP ma' guns stereotype. Woman in danger, man rushes to the rescue, man singlehandedly kicks the rear end of all the bad guys and saves the chick. Its very much what a college republican would imagine when he considers the question "what if one of my friends was raped"

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Did we really expect anything less from a guy named Brett? Okay maybe it's not Chad or Chase, but it's still Brett.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

M_Gargantua posted:

This story does have all the trappings of a GOP ma' guns stereotype. Woman in danger, man rushes to the rescue, man singlehandedly kicks the rear end of all the bad guys and saves the chick. Its very much what a college republican would imagine when he considers the question "what if one of my friends was raped"

You make a good point but nah that's dumb

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dan Carlin did a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqu7mM0kheE

https://dchhaddendum.libsyn.com/ep5-nightmares-of-indianapolis#comments

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

And started the Seven Years' War.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So, uhh, Donnie Boy's presser today. That...well that was certainly a thing. Soooo, 25th for dementia anyone?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

M_Gargantua posted:

Why would they plant a story where their guy is still a rapist and got beaten down

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm not a republican chud by any stretch but I'm pretty sure if I we're in that situation, I'd beat the poo poo out of him too.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
A lot of people on the left seem convinced that Kavanaugh's going down, but I've seen zero indication that any of the GOP reps are wavering. They're all set to just buckle down and push through the most unpopular Supreme Court justice in modern history.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

So, uhh, Donnie Boy's presser today. That...well that was certainly a thing. Soooo, 25th for dementia anyone?

Okay, so his Cabinet invokes the 25th, DJT gets his Doctor to say that he's the greatest, bigliest health. Now we are back at Square 1 and only 2/3 of the House and Senate can override his determination.

I just don't understand how people think the 25th will do anything in this situation

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

bird food bathtub posted:

that was 100% to stop the press on reporting on kavanaugh

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

maffew buildings posted:

Why would they plant a story where their guy is still a rapist and got beaten down

Well the theory is that they're trying to make 'false allegations' to discredit all the real allegations.

But it turns out (for people who aren't mentally deficient at least) that most allegations are blatantly credible and even one credible allegation is too many.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
and the 25th just gives us President Mike 'Decorum' Pence and everyone can now feel wonderful about passing the GOP's agenda because he speaks better

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Well the theory is that they're trying to make 'false allegations' to discredit all the real allegations.

But it turns out (for people who aren't mentally deficient at least) that most allegations are blatantly credible and even one credible allegation is too many.

Yeah it's confusing to my human brain, because it sounds 100% in line with everything else and the only people who would go "aha, false allegation!" don't believe any of them to begin with.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nick Soapdish posted:

Okay, so his Cabinet invokes the 25th, DJT gets his Doctor to say that he's the greatest, bigliest health. Now we are back at Square 1 and only 2/3 of the House and Senate can override his determination.

I just don't understand how people think the 25th will do anything in this situation

It'll never happen in the first place, so it was more of a joke about "holy poo poo that is without a doubt someone with dementia rambling on". Seriously, watch like ten minutes of that thing. Anyone who has had a loved one go through that can spot it a loving mile away and that's what our president is doing.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Keeping in line with the ethos, values and mental abilities of in a leader, the party of reagan LITERALLY requires it

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
IF I DID IT by This Smells Like Horseshit

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1045147885329928192

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
In other news, the veteran suicide rate is up.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2018/09/26/suicide-rate-spikes-among-younger-veterans/

Remember, never go alone, there are plenty of politicians to take with you.

But seriously, don't kill yourselves.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

In other news, it's almost time for October baseball and it's off to a great start:

https://twitter.com/timdoyle00/status/1045148617894494208

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Senate Dems released footage they found of Kavanaugh and Judge planning their boating trip in Newport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUafzOXHPE

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

I am Spartacu --- wait hell no.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

A lot of people on the left seem convinced that Kavanaugh's going down, but I've seen zero indication that any of the GOP reps are wavering. They're all set to just buckle down and push through the most unpopular Supreme Court justice in modern history.

Yeah

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Senate Dems released footage they found of Kavanaugh and Judge planning their boating trip in Newport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUafzOXHPE

But neither of them were antsy about not doing it?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Yeah, the optimism is really kind of confusing. We've got a bunch of GOP senators already saying they're going to confirm him. Invoking the 25th doesn't do anything unless Congress plays ball (they won't) and even if they did we get President Pence, which will actually probably be worse in the long run because there will be thought behind the actions rather than OOH SHINY THING flailing that has to be somehow partially salvaged and turned into written documents by the true believers below.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Are they seriously going to double down with multiplying doppelgangers? I mean, the Federalist Society grows these candidates in test tubes but this is ridiculous.

edit - re: whether Kav's going down or not, it feels more like watching a guy threaten to shoot a hostage with the gun to his head. There's nothing the Dems can do to keep the GOP from getting a right-winger on the court, but it's looney that the collective GOP is willing to inflame an already delicate situation with suburban women just before an mid-term election simply to get the first guy named Brett on the court. Any sane GOP strategy would have swapped him out for one of his (apparently) many doppelgangers who will vote exactly the same.

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 27, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Godholio posted:

Yeah, the optimism is really kind of confusing. We've got a bunch of GOP senators already saying they're going to confirm him. Invoking the 25th doesn't do anything unless Congress plays ball (they won't) and even if they did we get President Pence, which will actually probably be worse in the long run because there will be thought behind the actions rather than OOH SHINY THING flailing that has to be somehow partially salvaged and turned into written documents by the true believers below.

I'm not convinced that he's not going to get nominated but I'm not entirely convinced it's a sure thing either. Last week I'd say his odds were at 99/100 to get confirmed. Tonight, probably closer to 60/40 odds even with Hatch and Graham's bullshit. Collins is still doing her "I'm concerned" bit but she's gone from "Don't see him overturning Roe, why are you people bothering me?" "Well the accusation is serious but I don't know" to "Uhhh, we should probably hear each accusation in detail and allow for a follow up if necessary." I mean it's not huge but between that and Murkowski being a bit skittish, there's reason to believe he might not make it after all. Still not something I'd bet my 401K on, but it's getting there.

You've also got the argument that if they really were confident that they had the votes, they could have rammed this guy through earlier this week or late last week. I don't think they do. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

I mean, like Terrifying Effigies said, it's a bit insane that they didn't swap this guy at first sign of trouble. But you know, Trump.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Godholio posted:

There is no way they can back down, getting this guy in is everything they’ve been fighting for for 30 years, and fixes things for them for the next 30. That said it’s so messed up I have no idea which way it’ll go.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not sure either is a sure bet, but hoping these shenanigans bite them during the midterms and into the future.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

DoktorLoken posted:

In other news, it's almost time for October baseball and it's off to a great start:

Did football end already?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe just maybe they're dogged determination to get their drinking, gambling, raping judge on the bench will matter to non-death cultists.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Casimir Radon posted:

Maybe just maybe they're dogged determination to get their drinking, gambling, raping judge on the bench will matter to non-death cultists.

In a sane world you wouldn't have to say that, in this one. Who knows. I can't believe I'm trying to have a sensible thought in my head about a political party voting in a rapist. Ugh.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Confessing to violent felonies and registering as a sex offender to own the libs

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hobbesmaster posted:

Confessing to violent felonies and registering as a sex offender to own the libs

I did it and I was the best at it! :smugdon:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A personal confession with no evidence or corroborating evidence isn't sufficient evidence to prosecute let alone convict beyond a reasonable doubt. They're just doing this because they're getting paid to do so or trying to cover for their guy.

No republican senators have came out against Kavanaugh, and I don't see it happening. If they don't get Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS for whatever reason, then they'll confirm someone just as bad or worse ideologically speaking that happens to be less rapey.

I think Kavanaugh is inevitable, and the best hope we have is impeaching him in 2020, but that requires 66 democratic senators and just loving :lol: that alaska, arkansas, georgia, idaho, iowa, kansas, kentucky, louisiana, montana, nebraska, north carolina, oklahoma, south carolina, south dakota, tennessee, texas, west virginia, or wyoming would elect a democratic candidate in 2020.

I hope he's not confirmed, but I think he will be. In that case, you want a guy like Kav over another Gorsuch so that you have something obvious and simple to use to remove him from the bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
personally im starting to see the appeal of propaganda of the deed lmao

• Locked thread