Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Are those the ones that have stuff like 'Firepit' as buildings? I've always found those mods a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

No modder has ever had the discipline to hold back. Every idea they've ever had must be included.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Fall from heaven 2 is the mod of mods for Civ4, but it's fantasy, so it might not be your cup of tea setting wise.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

No modder has ever had the discipline to hold back. Every idea they've ever had must be included.

Same but goons and posting

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

dune wars and planetfall are the best two civ4 mods in my book

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

FfH2 is clearly the best, but History Rewritten is also pretty good for a real-world setting.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I picked up Civ 4 a couple times since I read the post upthread about how you were able to go back to it and it holds up. I think it does too!

One nice thing I notice about it is that, a full marathon game of Civ 5 can take like sixteen-plus hours; a full marathon game of Civ 4 you can do in like an evening. It's good :)

I haven't really been feeling Civ for a while but it was satisfying to play these few games, thanks Guildencrantz

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 26, 2018

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I can't play Civ4 anymore without the RevolutionDCM mod. It's fun.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

Fall from heaven 2 is the mod of mods for Civ4, but it's fantasy, so it might not be your cup of tea setting wise.

I haven't tried other Civ IV mods, but yeah, FfH2 is pretty drat fun. Based on my experience I've found the AI is pretty competitive, and the different leaders and factions do a great job of giving the player a lot of different ways to play.

I swear there was an LP of the mod done a few years ago, but it's not on the archives or anything. The LPer ran a game as the Luchuirp (sp?) dwarves and showed off the golems and Barnaxus. It would be great to read again because I have no way of gauging how well I'm actually doing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, if FFH2 is impressive to you guys, y'all should see Master of Mana. A mod of a mod of a mod. It might be the most impressive modding effort I've ever seen in my life, and I played a lot of Civ 4 and Doom.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Prav posted:

dune wars and planetfall are the best two civ4 mods in my book

A Dune reskin of Civ IV? Welp, looks like I'm about to take a nostalgia trip gamewise *and* sci-fiwise... off to download.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ibntumart posted:

A Dune reskin of Civ IV? Welp, looks like I'm about to take a nostalgia trip gamewise *and* sci-fiwise... off to download.

That does sound awesome. I'll have to try it after finals.

I sometimes still play Civ V online with a few friends while chatting. It's fun, but it usually amounts to "Let's see who spawns closest to Egypt or some other guy that makes a ton of wonders you can then effortlessly steal and win the game."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

toasterwarrior posted:

Man, if FFH2 is impressive to you guys, y'all should see Master of Mana. A mod of a mod of a mod. It might be the most impressive modding effort I've ever seen in my life, and I played a lot of Civ 4 and Doom.

I wasn't a big fan of master of mana, has a new version come out or something? When I last played, it seemed unfinished, the spells weren't very good or weren't implemented. Also I didn't like the way that they changed the tile improvements.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I wasn't a big fan of master of mana, has a new version come out or something? When I last played, it seemed unfinished, the spells weren't very good or weren't implemented. Also I didn't like the way that they changed the tile improvements.

The mod seems dead now, the last version came out in mid 2017 if you can remember the last time you played it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Would FFH2 be worth playing now? I've gotten kinda bored of Civ 6 and 5 and I never played that mod

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

Would FFH2 be worth playing now? I've gotten kinda bored of Civ 6 and 5 and I never played that mod

I've literally been playing it because I also got bored of 5 and 6. Try it out, it's a lot of fun if you think you'd enjoy what's essentially a D&D-themed Civ.

I recently played as the Sheaim and Clan of Embers. They're great for mindless conquests early on with units like the Sheaim Pyre Zombie, which detonates on death, or with the Clan's Warrens building that produces 2 of certain units instead of 1 (from what I can tell, anything living/non-unique, including settlers and workers).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, I just pulled the trigger. Why would I want to not take a Great Person?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In case the next one is better. I think they are always in the same order. Um, you probably have to look them up.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 28, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They're drawn from a pool whose size depends on either map size or player numbers, so you'll never know for sure which one is next, but there are some that give really lovely bonuses you might not need. The engineer that builds a bunch of walls, or Alan Turing, who gives a paltry bonus and the Eureka for Computers, which I've never not gotten ages before the tech option shows up, for example.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I think they are randomised at the beginning of the game. It's useful if you get that guy that gives science to your Holy Sites and you are Kongo or something like that.

Edit: beaten like trying to build Stonehenge.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
There are also certain ones that require you to have specific districts built to activate them, so you might pass and try to get one that you can use

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

There are also certain ones that require you to have specific districts built to activate them, so you might pass and try to get one that you can use

And there is Hildegard of Bingen, the scientist who requires a Holy Site to use.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

homullus posted:

And there is Hildegard of Bingen, the scientist who requires a Holy Site to use.
Everyone prefers Hildegard of Googlen anyway.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I don't know who Nancy Bonds is (the Kilimanjaro quote) but I want to punch her rather a lot.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't know who Nancy Bonds is (the Kilimanjaro quote) but I want to punch her rather a lot.
If only that was actually the worst. Welcome to Civ 6.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cartoon posted:

If only that was actually the worst. Welcome to Civ 6.

I'm getting pretty sick of Will Rogers, too.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Blame the devs, it seems they've decided literally googling "Kilimanjaro quotes" is sufficient enough these days. It's from a college student's blog or something.

The quotes that have little to nothing to do with the wonder/tech/civic baffle me. Someone else said this before but it's like an unpaid intern was left in charge of the quotes.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I think whoever picked the quotes had some kind of personal grudge against Sean Bean.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The quote for Great Zimbabwe is literally a bizarre white supremecist conspiracy theory thing.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Ghost Stromboli posted:

I've literally been playing it because I also got bored of 5 and 6. Try it out, it's a lot of fun if you think you'd enjoy what's essentially a D&D-themed Civ.

I recently played as the Sheaim and Clan of Embers. They're great for mindless conquests early on with units like the Sheaim Pyre Zombie, which detonates on death, or with the Clan's Warrens building that produces 2 of certain units instead of 1 (from what I can tell, anything living/non-unique, including settlers and workers).

You might also want to check out the More Naval AI modmod. It adds a bunch of bug fixes that didn't make it into the last version of FFH2 (like those pyre zombies not actually blowing up, apparently? I've never actually played the Sheaim so I can't say if that's the case), some AI improvements (not just boat stuff, despite the name) and a couple extra features that you can disable in custom games. It doesn't fall down the "pile on more features!!!" well as hard as the other FFH2 modmods.

I'm mostly repping it because I like the "super forts" feature. It makes forts give you cultural control over their square, even if it should belong to another civ's city. But only as long as you have at least one unit in that fort.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The quote for Great Zimbabwe is literally a bizarre white supremecist conspiracy theory thing.

I like how the civilopedia text includes a snarky bit about it being built of stone "in the jungle". It's not in a jungle, as looking at even one photo would show you.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They're drawn from a pool whose size depends on either map size or player numbers, so you'll never know for sure which one is next, but there are some that give really lovely bonuses you might not need. The engineer that builds a bunch of walls, or Alan Turing, who gives a paltry bonus and the Eureka for Computers, which I've never not gotten ages before the tech option shows up, for example.

I actually like that walls one, you get two levels of walls in three cities, so you can plonk them in border cities that take dozens of turns to build the simplest of things plus get the Eureka that you might otherwise miss. I've used patronage to get it once, even.

In my first game I was England, building lots of dockyards and ended up with about five great admirals. At least you can explore with them, I guess?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The quotes are as good as they've always been. Nimoy was reading some trash too.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

homullus posted:

The quotes are as good as they've always been. Nimoy was reading some trash too.

It's no even close. There are actual quotes from IV and V that I looked up the origin of and sometimes even use.

If I ever bring up barbarians and Roman air conditioning, I would be ashamed of myself.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

homullus posted:

They're much worse in Civ VI than the previous games; it's not even close.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

homullus posted:

Have you ever interned at a game developer?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homullus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Ha2LHxiIA

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
remember sid meier reading the quote for aesthetics and military science lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

But what about the Wi-Fi availability as judged by some rando blogger

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol I forgot what the Chichen Itza quote was in VI

"The Great Ballcourt is also very impressive. I would like to have seen them play a game, although it sounds like the end was pretty violent. I think it was safer to be a spectator."
–Isla Deb

Isla Deb runs a Wordpress blog called "Random Mexico Musings"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1226909609

The most important Civ 6 Mod.

Replaces all quotes.