Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Guy just finished reading some patch notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Oceanbound posted:

Guy just finished reading some patch notes.

I modeled him after Scy :D

(he's a stamplar)

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

nessin posted:

I remember now that one reason I quit last time is because I hate the Warden Sub Assault skill (that's the stamina morph name, the one where the three bugs pop up out of the ground to do damage after 3 seconds), and Warden was the only class I took to higher than 26. I constantly clip it while trying to maximize the usage and having to constantly remember it's coming and I need to be pointed in the right direction just throws me and I screw it all up. Probably going to turn him into a healer but now I need to know what's my best option for flashy, fun, and can be used for brain dead farming class? I'm thinking either Magicka based Dragon Knight or Sorcerer, but is there a better option?

petsorc is sleepy time easy mode for world pve

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

Coldforge posted:

Ebony epidermis. It's not available any more, afaik, it was a limited time crown store thing. I use it on a lot of my Argonians (though usually I hide the eyes), I imagine it'll help their post-death resale value.

how well do they hold up on a pair of boots?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

the morrowind overworld sets are all pretty decent starter sets that you usually can pick up super cheap, defiler for stam and war maiden for mag. defiler summons a hunger that barfs on your enemies, war maiden increases magicka damage from abilities so i think magblade benefits the most from that bonus? basically any non-elemental mag attacks

briarheart from orsinium isnt a bad pick if you don't mind doing some wrothgar delves

viper you can get blues from running fungal grotto which is a poison proc stam set, FG is super easy and there's always going to be someone running it, just do it until you get five body pieces (the vet version is also not that hard and drops a good starter monster helm for stam users)

red mountain is overland stam set from stonefalls that usually goes for pretty cheap, a little mini volcano will appear and shoot fireballs as you do damage

unfathomable darkness drops from clockwork city and is pretty fun for getting started on stam, summon a murder of crows that fly around you doing damage

spriggans is very solid even at end game due to the large penetration bonus it gives but will probably cost a bit more than the other sets

agility jewelry is pretty cheap even at purple and robust. if you can find cheap jewelry you can combine two of the sets above, otherwise with agility jewelry you can only do 5/4/3

for getting started traits arent super important until you can handle yourself in solo content and start making some money to get better gear/crafted gear so just find what's cheap. divines is best for stamdps and robust is your goto all arounder for jewelry

i think infused/precise on weapons?

edit: also always run bow on backbar for stamina pve

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 26, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

zjentohlauedy posted:

how well do they hold up on a pair of boots?

Really well; the ebony gas toughens the epidermis, yet it remains pliable and, with regular application of oil, even supple.

Also, slight update to the update (I've had a hard time with this one, but I think this is it):

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

nice crown crate gloves

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Berke Negri posted:

nice crown crate gloves

It does not embarrass me in the least to admit I have all 3 pair. Especially since the initial glut of Twitch crates paid for two of them.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

I have a bit more than 100 gems and can’t decide what to get, the badger mount or the black cock.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
92% on event. Marketing ploy to get people to buy Summerset working! Heh.

Still, will be fun to have a big rear end house.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
is having a bigass house really worth it? I feel like I would never use it. Still, its like the one thing tempting me to just go ahead and pick up Summerset even though I've barely scratched the surface of the other content.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

It's pretty great marketing if it's like you say. And they can even sell furniture packs fitting the style after the fact for crowns on top of all the Summer set copies they sold.

Also people like this must be fun at parties - there are a bunch of nice individuals like that on the subreddit:

I don't have Summerset so this is going to make me feel really special since apparently I'll be the only person besides "EVERYBODY" to not have the house.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

is having a bigass house really worth it? I feel like I would never use it. Still, its like the one thing tempting me to just go ahead and pick up Summerset even though I've barely scratched the surface of the other content.

That's my main hiccup with it. Compared to say... the Alinor house with the nice balcony area which you can definitely adequately furnish, that one's item limit makes it so you might have rooms with very few items in them.

The only way for such homes to feel fully furnished would be to have a limit of at least 1000 over 700.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m pretty loving psyched about it. Just hook up one area or something. Wall off the rest, gently caress it. It’s all around awesome and a great way to store extra furnishings.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Oceanbound posted:

I have a bit more than 100 gems and can’t decide what to get, the badger mount or the black cock.

Seems pretty evident to me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Beefeater posted:

Seems pretty evident to me.

Yup, pumpkin juggling and owl mask.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Fantatical is having a Summerset sale, and it looks like it's cheaper than direct from ZOS:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/franch...m_content=Image

$18 for the digital upgrade, $22 for full copy.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I saw a guide for nightblade healer and it says the preferred races are high elf and something else that isn't dark elf. So if I make a dark elf healer, how bad would that be?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Shy posted:

I saw a guide for nightblade healer and it says the preferred races are high elf and something else that isn't dark elf. So if I make a dark elf healer, how bad would that be?

You're fine. Altmer just gets more magicka regen for sustain, but Dunmer has it's own advantages (you'll do more damage with an inferno staff, you get fire resistance, you're not as ugly, etc).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I found out this game added a Morrowind area and I wanted to check it out. Made a Redguard because gently caress yeah Daggerfall. Are goon guilds locked to your faction or does it not matter?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Faction is irrelevant unless you want to do Alliance War, in which case it's still irrelevant because:
A) Goon PvP is dead
B) Goon PvP is also tri-faction

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Yep, it's one of the shittiest things about this game, race/faction you choose does not matter at all (unless you want to min-max at the highest level).

I want factions to be separate, world pvp to be a thing, races to be unique (with some races not able to play some classes etc).

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Looks like the Psijic house giveaway is a certainty, unless they just pull the rug out from under everyone at the last minute.

With that in mind, if you want an example of what you can *do* with a large sized house, give @Rollersnake's Earthtear Cavern a look (right click on him in the guild roster, visit primary residence. Online or offline, doesn't matter).

trem
Sep 17, 2009
I plan on haphazardly throwing all of the housing items I have in storage chest into that big house.

Also as many pets and mounts as possible.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

JadaX posted:

(with some races not able to play some classes etc).

this would be terrible and pretty anti TES

Zos has said they kind of regret "hard" factions after the fact, and I would not doubt they kind of regret doing classes too

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 27, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Even Morrowind classes were just like stat bonuses and then you did whatever you wanted.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

this would be terrible and pretty anti TES

Zos has said they kind of regret "hard" factions after the fact, and I would not doubt they kind of regret doing classes too

How would it be anti-TES? I'm still kind of new having joined in December so probably missed it.

In any case, the end-game right now is complete poo poo compared to other mmorpgs, we need more content and better full trials (not this mini poo poo that's being released to cater to casuals). The fact that race choice doesn't matter is very lazy design.

They need to mix something up, a lot of ppl are quitting the game because every patch is more of the same. Now I figure that most people who play ESO are actually casuals so they'll probably never experience the shortcomings of end-game, which is why I think ZOS just doesn't give a crap.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

eso from the get go was basically kind of designed as dark age of camelot 2 with an elder scrolls skin and this...did not go over great. what we got at launch was kind of a halfway between probably a direct sequel to DAoC with very early mmo concepts, and trying to appease TES sensibilities (real early on I think there was only hard classes and we eventually got the kind of classes as themes that can do every role with a skill system, I know there was ~six classes kind of planned but warden was the only one of the cut ones we got years later but it turned out pretty different from it's alpha design)

stuff like every class can stealth and the like were pretty late additions, criticism during development was pretty instrumental keeping the game from falling in the trap swtor did which I think it definitely was on the path to if you look at super early promotional stuff

a lot of NPCs actually have a lot of leftover early Dev warden abilities, they're basically the totem kind of effects you see so I guess that'd put it closer to like a wow druid or something?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

JadaX posted:

How would it be anti-TES? I'm still kind of new having joined in December so probably missed it.

In any case, the end-game right now is complete poo poo compared to other mmorpgs, we need more content and better full trials (not this mini poo poo that's being released to cater to casuals). The fact that race choice doesn't matter is very lazy design.

They need to mix something up, a lot of ppl are quitting the game because every patch is more of the same. Now I figure that most people who play ESO are actually casuals so they'll probably never experience the shortcomings of end-game, which is why I think ZOS just doesn't give a crap.

"classes" (which have always been very loose definitions in the series) have never been locked to races in elder scrolls you have always been able to do anything you want

wardens only being bosmer would be Warcraft, not TES

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

JadaX posted:

Yep, it's one of the shittiest things about this game, race/faction you choose does not matter at all (unless you want to min-max at the highest level).

I want factions to be separate, world pvp to be a thing, races to be unique (with some races not able to play some classes etc).

I’d probably just quit on the spot if this happened.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

JadaX posted:

The fact that race choice doesn't matter is very lazy design.

It's not. I mean I don't really know what else to say, how did you come up with this conclusion?

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
How is making every race non-unique not lazy?

Currently the only race that stands out imo is Argonian, because their racial is legit good for pvp/pve I think. Below are my personal opinions;

Argonian pot passive - bis in pve/very good pvp.
Redguard stam regen - not a big deal in trials with good support.
Dunmer fire dmg - difference is extremely small.
Breton resis - good for min-maxing, otherwise doesn't matter.
Orc speed/hp recovery - kind of pointless (even in pvp imo).
Nord hp regen/max hp - kind of pointless in pve.
Altmer spell dmg - difference is extremely small.
Khajit weapon crit - some say it makes a difference, but is quite limited.
Imperial max hp/stam - decent for pve.

The above is just what I can remember. Now, for casuals most of these won't matter since non-trial creeps are extremely easy to kill irregardless of race/class/build. For PvE most of these won't matter because you will be getting good stam/mag/hp regen from synergies etc.

The only differences are in pvp where I have very little experience so won't comment on.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

JadaX posted:

How is making every race non-unique not lazy?

Because it's not a coincidental thing, it's a conscious decision. It would be lazy design if the devs wanted race to be a mostly-cosmetic thing with a few thing sprinkled about but in actuality, Nords were a billion times better than everything else, and they never did anything about it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

race mattering (for min/maxing) is actually bad design but ive been saying that since launch so, not expecting that to change anytime soon

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

if someone wants to be a nord or redguard magicka caster at endgame there's zero lore reason for it not to be so, it's just the dumb daoc bullshit initial design we're still saddled with

which hasnt super been changed since launch besides making argonians good and not completely useless at launch

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

I guess Shalidor's such a moron in ESO because he's a totally suboptimal dork.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Oceanbound posted:

I guess Shalidor's such a moron in ESO because he's a totally suboptimal dork.

Mostly it's because he's lactose intolerant yet totally obsessed with cheese.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I should know this by now, but what's the spell/skill that basically turns you into a lightning bolt and teleports you a short distance?

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Starshark posted:

I should know this by now, but what's the spell/skill that basically turns you into a lightning bolt and teleports you a short distance?

Sorc skill - Bolt Escape which can be morphed into Streak or Ball of Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I feel like I shouldn't stick my foot in it, but race choice in ESO shouldn't really be termed lazy design. The racial designs in the title hold to prior representation in the franchise, with some considered and iterated-on racial abilities that change as the game does.

Were it lazy they'd still be identical to end of beta. They are not.