Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Never Samsung an appliance. I have had the worst experience with a Samsung Fridge. A 32 cubic foot giant that was supposed to be awesome turn into a literal stinking pile of garbage in three years. Buy the LG, do not buy the Samsung.

I posted at length during this saga in whatever chat thread du jour was upon us. Looking back at it still makes me mad. That was the worst $3K I have ever spent.

It amazes me how much people spend on appliances in the US. I can buy a big white fridge freezer for £300 here and expect it to last 10 years.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Not trying to sound edgy or cool here. Honestly, I think the sin tax is bullshit and hate the fact I am being forced to give up something I enjoy because the cost has been artificially inflated.

As soon as I think I can afford to, I will start again.

Yeah you stick it to the man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Fermented Tinal posted:

Maybe beer should be $5/bottle

Oh so you live in Denmark too? :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ether Frenzy posted:

Why on earth would you smoke cigarettes, they do not get anyone high and they cost $$$$ fucktons. You're seriously paying "A sweet car's monthly payment" to not get high?

If you saw how my grandfather died you wouldnt smoke another cigarette. Let alone he should have had another 20 years if he didnt smoke.

gently caress smoking and esp gently caress Big Tobacco

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Fermented Tinal posted:

Maybe beer should be $5/bottle to offset the burden placed on the system by alcoholics too, then.

I got no problem chipping in a couple extra bucks, but of that $13.50/pack I was paying, over $10 was tax and there's no guarantee that 100%, or even 10% of that tax went to OHIP.

At least by the US numbers, beer's already got an excise tax of 6 cents (MO) to $1.29 (TN) per 12oz bottle depending on state. That's not including any local taxes. Given the costs to make it are somewhere south of fifty cents a gallon...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ether Frenzy posted:

Why on earth would you smoke cigarettes, they do not get anyone high and they cost $$$$ fucktons. You're seriously paying "A sweet car's monthly payment" to not get high?

Right now I'd rather the car. It would be nice if I could afford both.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yeah you stick it to the man.

I will, by paying the 20/pack it'll probably be when I start again. :rolleyes:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

STR posted:

One of GF's cats just went full apeshit on me. I'm leaking a bit of red from my neck, shoulder, and arm, and the fucker ripped my brand new (literally worn once, I bought it yesterday) shirt clawing me.

This fucker is the most bipolar cat I've ever seen. He wants to be my BFF most of the time, then goes into gently caress YOU, I WILL loving END YOU RIGHT THE gently caress NOW, DESPITE THE 170 POUND DIFFERENCE BETWEEN US mode at random. This was the worst so far. All I did was walk by, and he launched up my leg, climbed my shirt, then perched on my shoulder trying to rip me apart, while hissing and growling.

I'm starting to hate (some) cats.

Can't handle the pussy, eh?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

Can't handle the pussy, eh?

:golfclap:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fermented Tinal posted:

Maybe beer should be $5/bottle to offset the burden placed on the system by alcoholics too, then.

I got no problem chipping in a couple extra bucks, but of that $13.50/pack I was paying, over $10 was tax and there's no guarantee that 100%, or even 10% of that tax went to OHIP.

As a fellow Ontarian, I'd be fine with higher booze cost, except its just going to drive more people to loving meth and more break-ins/theft.
But, really, the biggest rip-off is our hydro.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'd rather the taxation on booze be fair across the board instead of the poor subsidizing it so the rich can drink their Dom on the cheap.

As for HydroOne? Guillotine.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
i'd rather we not all be ok with more taxes.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Ha ha dude you just can't let it go. Free health care is user pays, and the money comes from sin taxes. The wealthy often have private health insurance anyway so they don;t use the public system so much. Just be glad you aren't paying $35 a pack like Australia.
Also seriously, you would have to be already suicidal anyway to want to smoke.
I get by on $32 pack rollies for 7-10 days so cost isn't a factor to me (I save by eating less so it doesn't matter, nothing matters)

If you are from somewhere that doesn't have universal healthcare then booze and smokes cheaper but it's hard to get private insurance. I'd rather pay the taxes than have a corporation deny healthcare at any rate.
In australia we have ads where some idiot has no throat or lung capacity and they complain life is hard. I laugh and think what did they expect to happen? You really have to be OK with wanting to die if you want a smoke.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 27, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm okay with more taxes. Especially if it means a better infrastructure, better education system and better health care. Also, if it means getting assistance to the people that need it, even if there is a bit of grifting... because a lot of people grifting the system out of a couple thousand to live is a heck of a lot better than the 1% grifting the system out of billions.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
^^^ I wish the CRA was more pro-active about auditing businesses that operate under the "pay us cash and we won't charge you sales tax" model. Whenever I visit a store and they tell me that, I'll simply walk out.

I'm fine with paying taxes to fund my healthcare, I am not fine with people avoiding paying their fair share.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 27, 2018

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I'm ok with more taxes. We get a lot of things cheap, as has been pointed out by others. I don't smoke, and I hardly drink... so it's not like THAT would have a big impact on me. Though, it could be said that we pay a healthy amount of taxes - it's just allocation within the budget that's the problem. I can't argue to specifics along those lines, but I'm inclined to believe we don't need the military budget we do have...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fermented Tinal posted:

Not trying to sound edgy or cool here. Honestly, I think the sin tax is bullshit and hate the fact I am being forced to give up something I enjoy because the cost has been artificially inflated.

As soon as I think I can afford to, I will start again.

once you stop smoking your life improves in about a trillion small ways

edit: source, am ex smoker

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 27, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It amazes me that people still smoke cigarettes these days. There is literally no point in it, it's an expensive, stinky filthy habit that severely hinders your health possibly killing you.

People are loving dumb.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I'm dumb.

Now can we stop talking about smokes, drinking and vaping?

E: VV shuddup, the highly taxed booze and smokes are from countries that have free/subsidized/universal public healthcare.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I am not okay with more taxes, really. Take some of the obscene amount of money we spend on the military and spread it to other places, like education and healthcare.

Also:

Fermented Tinal posted:

I am not fine with people avoiding paying their fair share.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fo3 posted:

I'm dumb.

Now can we stop talking about smokes, drinking and vaping?

E: VV shuddup, the highly taxed booze and smokes are from countries that have free/subsidized/universal public healthcare.

Yeah I'm dumb too man, I'm a human lol.

Nothing wrong with ridiculous taxes on substances that ruin your health in countries with public healthcare, it makes obvious sense.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I feel like it's about time I had a project car again but I stupidly bought a house with no drive or garage lmao

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
#1 Son just paid $1K for a fair-condition hardtop for his $2K Miata. :homebrew:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

fridge corn posted:

I feel like it's about time I had a project car again but I stupidly bought a house with no drive or garage lmao

Got a yard?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah there's useless grass out front but it's surrounded by shrubs and no direct road access. I'm at the end of a dead end street except the road stops before it gets to my house

I'm hoping that someone develops the empty land beyond us and paves a road through so I can have a drive but who knows when or if that will happen

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Lol at dumb smoker chat. Government is trying to do you a favor by pricing it outside your means and you're too dumb to see it. I never understood it either. Both my parents smoked and I hated it 2nd hand. Why the gently caress anyone would smoke in 2018 is mind boggling. Pot I can understand, not cigs.

I'm also fine with more taxes and using our existing tax money better. We pay less than most countries, our infrastructure is crumbling and I'd gladly support a better universal health care system even if it means I'm supporting "the poors" that couldn't afford it. Seems like a thing that should be a right to me and help your fellow man and all that.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Suburban Dad posted:

Lol at dumb smoker chat. Government is trying to do you a favor by pricing it outside your means and you're too dumb to see it. I never understood it either. Both my parents smoked and I hated it 2nd hand. Why the gently caress anyone would smoke in 2018 is mind boggling. Pot I can understand, not cigs.

I'm also fine with more taxes and using our existing tax money better. We pay less than most countries, our infrastructure is crumbling and I'd gladly support a better universal health care system even if it means I'm supporting "the poors" that couldn't afford it. Seems like a thing that should be a right to me and help your fellow man and all that.

You're not my dad!

fridge corn posted:

This is poor planning, you could be my dad

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 27, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who crave and do not vape, those who are cool but have no smokes.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
*flicks cigarette at u*

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I don't care if you vape/smoke/toke/drink/whatever, because I have my own house to keep in order, and I don't have the energy to expend worrying about everyone else.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just want people to be happy and enjoy doing what brings them happiness but unfortunately what brings some people happiness is taking good things away from other people and destroying them. :smith:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Most of the ppl I know who still smoke smoke rollies. If I hadn't quit long before that I definitely would have quit when rollies became the only viable option cuz i could never roll a decent joint to save my life. gently caress that

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I just need to sell my loving shitcoins already. I made a decent amount of money from crypto a year and a half ago but the amount I have remaining is just slowly eating poo poo on a train ride to hell.

I've very tempted to just dump my holdings and get a 250 motorcycle already.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

spog posted:

I've got the Hitchhikers Guide radio shows and they are quite good for a long listen.

Plus, there are new ones, based on ...And Another Thing!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09th4hf

...awww, they're not available on the web player any more.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Darchangel posted:

Plus, there are new ones, based on ...And Another Thing!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09th4hf

...awww, they're not available on the web player any more.

That's just as well, they are utter shite.

Really disappointing in a 'The Phantom Menace was not the worst follow-up to a classic' way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey US residents, there's one of those handy 15% off ebay codes active today. Use PICKSOON and get 15% off your purchase with a maximum $100 discount. Should work on absolutely any purchase.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Dagen H posted:

I don't care if you vape/smoke/toke/drink/whatever, because I have my own house to keep in order, and I don't have the energy to expend worrying about everyone else.

Same... until I see someone flick their butt on the ground and I get an overwhelming urge to pick it up and cram it in their eye socket

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Well yeah, because then it goes from "smoking" to "littering" which is a whole other kettle of fish.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Hey US residents, there's one of those handy 15% off ebay codes active today. Use PICKSOON and get 15% off your purchase with a maximum $100 discount. Should work on absolutely any purchase.

RIP my wallet

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

RIP my wallet

I love that they do these every month. I get car stuff on even number months, nerd stuff on odd numbers.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dagen H posted:

People doing that in the privacy of their own home is fine.

I take issue when they bring it into public and expose me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I bring my ugly face into public and expose people to it, so I don't have a leg to stand on.

• Locked thread