Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

after overtime, it's 8.50 per hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i love when pr people say a thing was taken out of context but refuse to let people see the context.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

unless the context is "unions are dirty, lying rats!" is something an idiot might say, i don't think it's going to get much better

also this

Truga posted:

i'd argue computer touchers just make normal amounts of money because it's a fairly new thing in the mainstream, it's just other jobs have been ~optimized~ into literal hell already.

fix the broken end first, imo.

san francisco 6.5-figgy tech jobs are outliers created by war criminal wealth hoarders like the zucc or the beeze. the average salary for a computer toucher across the entire usa is what, like 75-90k? because that is generally a good livable wage nearly everywhere in the country -- a single earner can support an american dream nuclear family on that, or at least could until the boomer real estate gouging really started, and two people making that much will have a very comfortable lifestyle. so 75-90k at this point is a fair wage for an average worker, and indeed that's about the point that all the wealth studies say that more money stops increasing your happiness.

the median personal income in the USA, of course, is around $32k and the median household income is a little under twice that.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

haveblue posted:

had a dr. demento cd with star trekkin', surfin' bird, the boot to the head song, a few others

the earliest dumb thing I can remember downloading is the exploding whale movie. maybe someone showed me duckjob.wav once
i definitely remember finding duckjob.wav on my family computer - i think one of my uncles sent it to my dad. not as erotic as i was hoping for!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

prisoner of waffles posted:

I legitimately would have gotten a ton of use out of it when working in satellite safety and nominally tracking the time I spent communicating with the operators of dozens of satellites

can salesforce keep track of the satellites heading?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i just did something with salesforce and a piece that i found out, not explicit in docs, was that every object they provide in libraries has an equivalent rest endpoint with the same functions if you wanna integrate garbage webapps

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

duz posted:

why are you under the impression that is not exactly what they want

it’s entirely what they want and why they always seem to bring up age of consent laws too

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

The Leck posted:

i definitely remember finding duckjob.wav on my family computer - i think one of my uncles sent it to my dad. not as erotic as i was hoping for!

a million years ago I grabbed an mp3 that was a mashup of mmmbop and where the slime live by morbid angel and I would give my left testicle to find that again.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

unless the context is "unions are dirty, lying rats!" is something an idiot might say, i don't think it's going to get much better

also this

san francisco 6.5-figgy tech jobs are outliers created by war criminal wealth hoarders like the zucc or the beeze. the average salary for a computer toucher across the entire usa is what, like 75-90k? because that is generally a good livable wage nearly everywhere in the country -- a single earner can support an american dream nuclear family on that, or at least could until the boomer real estate gouging really started, and two people making that much will have a very comfortable lifestyle. so 75-90k at this point is a fair wage for an average worker, and indeed that's about the point that all the wealth studies say that more money stops increasing your happiness.

the median personal income in the USA, of course, is around $32k and the median household income is a little under twice that.

at 95k with Wisconsin cost of living I couldn't even keep up with the student loans and revolving debt I took on to get through college. those studies must have been conducted before the debt trap millenials are caught in was fully sprung.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

jit bull transpile posted:

at 95k with Wisconsin cost of living I couldn't even keep up with the student loans and revolving debt I took on to get through college. those studies must have been conducted before the debt trap millenials are caught in was fully sprung.

or maybe u ain’t average

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fart simpson posted:

or maybe u ain’t average

it's true I sold my financial soul to escape the ghetto and now I spend too much money on therapy for the ptsd

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

student loan debt is a hell of a thing but that's a whole separate discussion. i'm proud that at my university students "only" end up paying like 35k after four years. i had a prospective student come in from a different institution who was in his last semester there (30k/semester, well over six figures of debt) and he was about to go broke and couldn't pay the tuition. he wanted to transfer all his courses to our school, do one final semester with us and graduate with a degree, because it wasn't happening at the other place and his whole educational career was going to be a wash. it was unbelievably hard to tell him that no, we couldn't accept that, and he'd still be looking at at least two more years :smith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

point is that, absent any excessive debt and living in an average market, 75-90k/yr is enough to get a mortgage on a normal house, buy a normal car, start a family, pay the bills, go on a few vacations, save for retirement. the kind of things every worker should be able to have. that's what makes it a fair living wage.

31k/yr doesn't even come close

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ADINSX posted:

that must mean they're pro union

yeah, removing "anti" and "neutral" doesn't leave many options

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

President Beep posted:

we have them in michigan. believe they’re called “crawdads” here.

working my way through an epic heading derail today. just wanted to point out that beep u call them this because of what that lobster did to your mom.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

a million years ago I grabbed an mp3 that was a mashup of mmmbop and where the slime live by morbid angel and I would give my left testicle to find that again.

same but "roll out (tell it like it is mix)", in which the remixer discovered they could make "stay the gently caress up out my biz-nass" into "gently caress my rear end" and just did that for the whole song instead

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Sagebrush posted:

point is that, absent any excessive debt and living in an average market, 75-90k/yr is enough to get a mortgage on a normal house, buy a normal car, start a family, pay the bills, go on a few vacations, save for retirement. the kind of things every worker should be able to have. that's what makes it a fair living wage.

31k/yr doesn't even come close

yeah, but why would we give the laboring classes enough money to sustain themselves and produce the next generation of laborers when we could have profit now, empty claims of revolutionary automation, and a looming economic stagnation caused by underconsumption (but mainly underconsumption by the poor)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

muckswirler posted:

working my way through an epic heading derail today. just wanted to point out that beep u call them this because of what that lobster did to your mom.

a lobster? improbable.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

but not impossible! gottem! one successful fishmeching for ol mucky

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Today Forbes published an interview of Brian Acton that contained statements, and recollection of events that differ greatly from the reality I witnessed first-hand. As a result, I felt compelled to write about the actual facts.

First — there are few companies out there that empower and retain founders and their teams for as long as Facebook does. Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger thrived at Facebook for six years, Jan Koum and Brian Acton over four and three years, respectively. For some of them, Facebook is the place they did their best work, and had the most impact in the world. The main reason is because Mark personally shields founders from what typically frustrates them in larger companies, giving them unprecedented autonomy. This attitude towards supporting founders and their teams sometimes comes at a cost to the company. For example, WhatsApp founders requested a completely different office layout when their team moved on campus. Much larger desks and personal space, a policy of not speaking out loud in the space, and conference rooms made unavailable to fellow Facebookers nearby. This irritated people at Facebook, but Mark personally supported and defended it.

Second — on encryption. The global roll-out of end-to-end encryption on WhatsApp happened after the acquisition, and with Mark’s full support. Yes, Jan Koum played a key role in convincing Mark of the importance of encryption, but from that point on, it was never questioned. I witnessed Mark defending it a number of internal meetings where there was pushback — never for advertising or data collection reasons but for concerns about safety — and even in Board Meetings. Mark’s view was that WhatsApp was a private messaging app, and encryption helped ensure that people’s messages were truly private.

Third — on the business model. I was present in a lot of these meetings. Again, Mark protected WhatsApp for a very long period of time. And you have to put this in the context of a large organization with businesses knocking on our door to have the ability to engage and communicate with their customers on WhatsApp the same way they were doing it on Messenger. During this time, it became pretty clear that while advocating for business messaging, and being given the opportunity to build and deliver on that promise, Brian actively slow-played the execution, and never truly went for it. In my view, if you’re passionate about a certain path — in this case, letting businesses message people and charging for it — and if you have internal questions about it, then work hard to prove that your approach has legs and demonstrate the value. Don’t be passive-aggressive about it. And by the way the paid messaging that WhatsApp is rolling out now sounds pretty similar to metered messaging from my point of view...

Lastly — call me old fashioned. But I find attacking the people and company that made you a billionaire, and went to an unprecedented extent to shield and accommodate you for years, low-class. It’s actually a whole new standard of low-class.

I’ll close by saying that as far as I’m concerned, and as a former lifelong entrepreneur and founder, there’s no other large company I’d work at, and no other leader I’d work for. I want to work on hard problems that positively impact the lives of billions of people around the world. And Facebook is truly the only company that’s singularly about people. Not about selling devices. Not about delivering goods with less friction. Not about entertaining you. Not about helping you find information. Just about people. It makes it hard sometimes because people don’t always behave in predictable ways (algorithms do), but it’s so worth it. Because connecting people is a noble mission, and the bad is far outweighed by the good

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Today Forbes published an interview of Brian Acton that contained statements, and recollection of events that differ greatly from the reality I witnessed first-hand. As a result, I felt compelled to write about the actual facts.

First — there are few companies out there that empower and retain founders and their teams for as long as Facebook does. Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger thrived at Facebook for six years, Jan Koum and Brian Acton over four and three years, respectively. For some of them, Facebook is the place they did their best work, and had the most impact in the world. The main reason is because Mark personally shields founders from what typically frustrates them in larger companies, giving them unprecedented autonomy. This attitude towards supporting founders and their teams sometimes comes at a cost to the company. For example, WhatsApp founders requested a completely different office layout when their team moved on campus. Much larger desks and personal space, a policy of not speaking out loud in the space, and conference rooms made unavailable to fellow Facebookers nearby. This irritated people at Facebook, but Mark personally supported and defended it.

Second — on encryption. The global roll-out of end-to-end encryption on WhatsApp happened after the acquisition, and with Mark’s full support. Yes, Jan Koum played a key role in convincing Mark of the importance of encryption, but from that point on, it was never questioned. I witnessed Mark defending it a number of internal meetings where there was pushback — never for advertising or data collection reasons but for concerns about safety — and even in Board Meetings. Mark’s view was that WhatsApp was a private messaging app, and encryption helped ensure that people’s messages were truly private.

Third — on the business model. I was present in a lot of these meetings. Again, Mark protected WhatsApp for a very long period of time. And you have to put this in the context of a large organization with businesses knocking on our door to have the ability to engage and communicate with their customers on WhatsApp the same way they were doing it on Messenger. During this time, it became pretty clear that while advocating for business messaging, and being given the opportunity to build and deliver on that promise, Brian actively slow-played the execution, and never truly went for it. In my view, if you’re passionate about a certain path — in this case, letting businesses message people and charging for it — and if you have internal questions about it, then work hard to prove that your approach has legs and demonstrate the value. Don’t be passive-aggressive about it. And by the way the paid messaging that WhatsApp is rolling out now sounds pretty similar to metered messaging from my point of view...

Lastly — call me old fashioned. But I find attacking the people and company that made you a billionaire, and went to an unprecedented extent to shield and accommodate you for years, low-class. It’s actually a whole new standard of low-class.

I’ll close by saying that as far as I’m concerned, and as a former lifelong entrepreneur and founder, there’s no other large company I’d work at, and no other leader I’d work for. I want to work on hard problems that positively impact the lives of billions of people around the world. And Facebook is truly the only company that’s singularly about people. Not about selling devices. Not about delivering goods with less friction. Not about entertaining you. Not about helping you find information. Just about people. It makes it hard sometimes because people don’t always behave in predictable ways (algorithms do), but it’s so worth it. Because connecting people is a noble mission, and the bad is far outweighed by the good

sir this is a wendy's drive-thru

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

Nope. That's what you get if you compensate for inflation the wrong way and also assume there'd be as many multiple income households as there are now. It would fall around 65k-75k nationally especially as second incomes would be much more likely to be part time when present at all.

Places like the NYC metro area would have the median household income up around 95k vs today's 73k tho.

i don't not believe this, it seems reasonable, but you really need to link to some kind of source when you do this. especially because i tried to look up where you got this from, particularly the inflation bit, and instead found the heritage foundation saying pretty much the exact same thing as proof that if you use the "correct" inflationary calculations you poors are doing just fine and should shut up

mystes
May 31, 2006

What a surprise that facebook wanted to put ads in WhatsApp. What a surprise that Zuckerberg is an rear end in a top hat. The only reason that Facebook didn't try to put ads in earlier is that WhatsApp was presumably primarily purchased as a contingency plan for if/when Facebook's demographic started aging.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

student loan debt is a hell of a thing but that's a whole separate discussion. i'm proud that at my university students "only" end up paying like 35k after four years. i had a prospective student come in from a different institution who was in his last semester there (30k/semester, well over six figures of debt) and he was about to go broke and couldn't pay the tuition. he wanted to transfer all his courses to our school, do one final semester with us and graduate with a degree, because it wasn't happening at the other place and his whole educational career was going to be a wash. it was unbelievably hard to tell him that no, we couldn't accept that, and he'd still be looking at at least two more years :smith:

that guy at my office i came close to reflexively punching a while back because he thought people on welfare should just 'be more self-reliant and stop being dependent on the government' was just yesterday talking loudly about how he doesn't have any student loan debt because he worked his way through college :smug:

and had successful parents but let's not bring that up

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

My favorite part is the first thing that comes to mind is pettiness about desk space, which I guess is a problem at facebook

quote:

For example, WhatsApp founders requested a completely different office layout when their team moved on campus. Much larger desks and personal space, a policy of not speaking out loud in the space, and conference rooms made unavailable to fellow Facebookers nearby. This irritated people at Facebook, but Mark personally supported and defended it. 

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

muckswirler posted:

🤔

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

muckswirler posted:

they grow up so fast!!!!!!!!!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i wanna be a former lifelong entrepreneur and founder too

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

My favorite part is the first thing that comes to mind is pettiness about desk space, which I guess is a problem at facebook

yeah id say so. heres their hq

not even a desk in an office, you get a table in a warehouse

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

as someone who works in an open floor plan office i'd loving murder for a "no talking" rule

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I took out a 2k loan for paying for my associates degree, but I did legitimately work through the entirety of it and would have successfully avoided the loan if I didn't make a boneheaded decision with my money.

Also, I wonder how many of the techcunts today never worked a customer facing job in retail or restaurants in their lives.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, open floor plans are the loving devil.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

more than that, it’s the audacity to assert needs instead of sitting down, shutting up and being meek

lol for being so bold as to not be a drone

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

yeah id say so. heres their hq

not even a desk in an office, you get a table in a warehouse
I honestly would have imagined facebook HQ being a panopticon with Zuckerberg in a tower in the middle.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mystes posted:

I honestly would have imagined facebook HQ being a panopticon with Zuckerberg in a tower in the middle.

more like an inverted one with fuckerberg staring at you from all angles while you're at work and also when you go home and you don't even work for Facebook

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Krankenstyle posted:

more like an inverted one with fuckerberg staring at you from all angles while you're at work and also when you go home and you don't even work for Facebook

welcome to facebook. here's your picnic table, whiteboard, and zuckerberg bobblehead doll

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

as someone who works in an open floor plan office i'd loving murder for a "no talking" rule

gently caress that. the problem is the open plan, not people talking.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Let's compromise with a "No talking from Shaggar" rule

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

open plans suck rear end and the people in my current office communicate like poo poo because everyone is afraid of interrupting the silence/intruding on someone's phone call and the result is much less collaboration, not more. Even half-height cube walls for noise containment would be an improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
two guys in my company's office claimed "the lab" which has a 3d printer and a soldering iron and no windows and its own a/c because they can crank the a/c way down and close the door

hell yeah

I work from home which is even better re: isolation from coworkers