Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Does anyone here use TD Ameritrade? I'm debating if I should open an account with them since I really like their trading platforms. I'm using JP Morgan's YouInvest right now but they haven't rolled out a an executable platform yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Yeah I love thinkorswim. It works on linux which is a big plus for me. You should be mindful of the fees, but I really think it's worth the support that you get. Their service is far more reliable for regular trading than the discount brokers that I've used (robinhood, ally). It's definitely the best for mobile trading too.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

AngryBooch posted:

Welch famously force ranked every employee in the company and fired the bottom 10% every year. Unsurprisingly, encouraging employees to sabotage and undermine each other while designing and manufacturing complex industrial machinery was not a very good business tactic. GE has discontinued the practice in Welch's retirement but still has to run national ad campaigns begging engineering grads to apply to GE job postings. Welch covered up his massive mismanagement by turning GE into a bank that would go on to collapse during the financial crisis so that he could shift around profits to his terrible acquisitions and keep the stock price high.

He's still lionized by many but GE failing should be placed entirely on his shoulders and this poo poo was called in 2001:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2001/10/01/gut-punch

Winning!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

dougdrums posted:

Yeah I love thinkorswim. It works on linux which is a big plus for me. You should be mindful of the fees, but I really think it's worth the support that you get. Their service is far more reliable for regular trading than the discount brokers that I've used (robinhood, ally). It's definitely the best for mobile trading too.

I caved and signed up, thinkorswim is nuts compared to what you get with some other financial institutions. I'm going to have to watch a tutorial or something because this thing is waaaay powerful.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Wwe is unstoppable, brother.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone on the SVMK train today? Took a small position but recent IPOs have basically been poo poo other than NIO

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Anyone on the SVMK train today? Took a small position but recent IPOs have basically been poo poo other than NIO
no not yet. looks like a good one to watch because the volume is not bad

EB volume sucked, but NIO was great

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
:420: FLWR.V ipo'd today, opened at 4 now at 7.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Free online survey tool worth $2billion, why not. Hopefully bonzi buddy is next

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty financially illiterate and that's not super likely to change soon, but I'm finally earning enough now to be able to start really saving. Since I'm still pretty young, I'd like to be a bit more aggressive than just putting everything I save into CD's and money market funds. I heard about index funds recently, which sounds like a really good option for me. Is it a bad idea to just invest solely into something like the S&P 500 ETF trust over the next 30 years or so? I know diversification is a big deal, but the fund itself is really diversified so I don't know if it's necessary to invest in many of them.

If I'm on the right track here, I've still got some more research to do, but I'm open to suggestions for how I go about dealing with a broker. I envision having a weekly amount go into a savings/money market account, and then having excess from that account go into the fund, so the most important thing is being able to integrate those accounts together. Beyond that I'd just be looking for the lowest fees possible only doing a few transactions a year. I wouldn't need any fancy tools either since I wouldn't exactly be day trading. Any input would be appreciated. Etrade seems to be the most well regarded so far that I've seen.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Some cartoonish numbers in Bitmain’s filing

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Volkerball posted:

I'm pretty financially illiterate and that's not super likely to change soon, but I'm finally earning enough now to be able to start really saving. Since I'm still pretty young, I'd like to be a bit more aggressive than just putting everything I save into CD's and money market funds. I heard about index funds recently, which sounds like a really good option for me. Is it a bad idea to just invest solely into something like the S&P 500 ETF trust over the next 30 years or so? I know diversification is a big deal, but the fund itself is really diversified so I don't know if it's necessary to invest in many of them.

If I'm on the right track here, I've still got some more research to do, but I'm open to suggestions for how I go about dealing with a broker. I envision having a weekly amount go into a savings/money market account, and then having excess from that account go into the fund, so the most important thing is being able to integrate those accounts together. Beyond that I'd just be looking for the lowest fees possible only doing a few transactions a year. I wouldn't need any fancy tools either since I wouldn't exactly be day trading. Any input would be appreciated. Etrade seems to be the most well regarded so far that I've seen.

If you're truly financially illiterate, plow everything you'd want to invest into a 401k/Roth IRA target retirement fund until you've done some reading. Check out the newbie investing thread for details.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

And if you’re truly financially literate, also do this.

When you’re financially degenerate, come back to this thread.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Volkerball posted:

This thread is for fun money gambling my droog. All of our real financial security money is safely invested away in index funds in tax protected structures.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My b. I'll go check out the noobie investing thread. You guys have fun with your screens with squiggly lines on them.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This thread is for fun money gambling my droog. All of our real financial security money is safely invested away in index funds in tax protected structures.

... Is it really though?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

fougera posted:

... Is it really though?

My play money is about 1/10 my nest egg, and the nest egg is all Four Pillars approved.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

If biotech takes a poo poo I will starve.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

If biotech takes a poo poo I will starve.

On that note, GERN just died and now I'm in the bread line.

Edit: :saddowns:

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 27, 2018

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Omnicarus posted:

:aaa: holy moly, the plane has crashed into the mountain on that stock.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
Sorry GERN longs, but why didn't ya'll cash out when that turd was trading at $6 for almost a week?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Dirt McGuirk posted:

Sorry GERN longs, but why didn't ya'll cash out when that turd was trading at $6 for almost a week?

Looks like that's when he bought in,no?

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong

Zauper posted:

Looks like that's when he bought in,no?

In that case then, uhhhhh, why invest in a crappy biotech company with a history of death, cooked stats and failure so close to a make or break decision?

But I'm sure there are goons who bought in the 2s, 3s and 4s on here who would have had a chance to get out.

I sold after the JNJ call on the 13th.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
any of you guys play around with REML, MORL, MRRL, etc? probably a bad time now considering we're at the start of a tightening cycle but that 20% div paid monthly doesn't sound bad if you're gonna hold 30 years and monthly DRIP

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Omnicarus posted:

Edit: :saddowns:

Be well goon :ohdear:

I figure this might also be the outcome for some cannabis stocks in the future when revenue doesn't align as quickly as shareholders expect.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

LLCoolJD posted:

:aaa: holy moly, the plane has crashed into the mountain on that stock.

Time to buy!

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Closing out my AMZN and NFLX shorts at a lovely loss, whoops

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Only by happenstance I am long AMZN and NFLX

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Looking like another Great Day to own ARYC

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You have bigger balls than I to trade literally a penny stock.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Any TSLA shorts in the house tonight?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vox Nihili posted:

Any TSLA shorts in the house tonight?

Eh, not really. The initial reaction is always the strongest. If anything it's a good time to buy since

-It'll rebound from the 10% drop if nothing comes of it
-TSLA will eventually benefit from having someone else at the helm

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sup I have January puts

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Sup I have January puts

Strike price?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

$115 :D

I had an oct 7 $250 but I pussied out last week

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 27, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

$115 :D

I had an oct 7 $250 but I pussied out last week

Goddammit, I'm looking for people through whom I can live vicariously without setting my own cash on fire, is that too much to ask?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:hfive: We're riding this rocket buddy! All the way to the sun!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Solice Kirsk posted:

:hfive: We're riding this rocket buddy! All the way to the sun!

*gif of Thelma and Louise driving off a fuckin' cliff with their hands entwined *

(but then the camera pans out and the canyon was lined with nice soft $Benjamins and we're OK...)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I'm going to get into a weed IPO without knowing a thing about the company, good idea bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
I have a Jan 280 put that was about $500 in the red at closing but am looking forward to it flipping around tomorrow morning.