Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Rome 2 is getting insanely review bombed because someone made a disingenuous/untrue post about the algorithms that govern character/general generation had the relative likelihood that a general would be a woman increased significantly or something. It turned out not to be true but lmao

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status...r%3D854%23pti33

anyway, much more interestingly, I reinstalled Shogun 2 and was thinking about a new campaign of Rise of the Samurai, which I never beat. is it actually any fun with like some mods or something or is the unit variety just always too dismal? I was okay with the balance in the regular campaign and FOTS but I remember rise just not having a lot in terms of interesting mechanics.

I could also do FOTS with Darthmod and try to actually build the trans-Honshu railway, which I've never done before and seems like it could be pretty dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I want to believe there’s people out there they play Silent Hunter and stuff like that in real time and actually spend years finishing a campaign.

I didn't even know you could speed up time when I bought Silent Hunter 3 on release. I'd let comp run for hours when going out to the mission area the only problem was getting in and out of ports as you had to navigate yourself to avoid hitting the shore. Good thing nothing recorded my amount of time "played" back then. Found the speed button eventually but it took way too long

edit: the 11 hours to set up first turn of Witp: AE as Japan was nice as well.
edit2: that whole negative review thing is ridiculous. Tempted to review it positively just because it triggers neckbeards

SA_Avenger fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 25, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
This is just getting silly. If CA gives up doing real world history themed games I honestly won't blame them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Should start spamming them with reviews from SJW antifa millenial supersoldiers and congratulating CA on their accurate portrayals of afrocentric herstory.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Time to start an all-female general Pontus game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Should start spamming them with reviews from SJW antifa millenial supersoldiers and congratulating CA on their accurate portrayals of afrocentric herstory.

I'd do it but sadly bounced off Rome 2, never got past the tutorial and have been busy with other things ever since. But if you guys got the hours go ahead. Point out these games have always been doing this and they are just wasting their time.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Frog Act posted:

Rome 2 is getting insanely review bombed because someone made a disingenuous/untrue post about the algorithms that govern character/general generation had the relative likelihood that a general would be a woman increased significantly or something. It turned out not to be true but lmao

I'm not sure if one of us is mistaken but that post does seem to confirm the change, explain how it works / which factions it affects, and verify that they have no plans to remove it or patch it out :confused:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm not sure if one of us is mistaken but that post does seem to confirm the change, explain how it works / which factions it affects, and verify that they have no plans to remove it or patch it out :confused:

The review bombs in question are basically falsely claiming the game is overwhelmed with women generals instead of 0% for the most male dominated cultures, 10% for others, and 50% for one culture with a history of warrior queens because one guy had an RNG roll that resulted in the extremely rare chance of one turn's recruitable general slate all being women for one of the 10% cultures.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

As far as I'm aware, most of this is springing from noted creep ArchWarhammer.

Either way I'm ignoring the bollocks, and trying to get a cultural victory with the Anteans on Attila (I got a minor victory yesterday).

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 25, 2018

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The review bombs in question are basically falsely claiming the game is overwhelmed with women generals instead of 0% for the most male dominated cultures, 10% for others, and 50% for one culture with a history of warrior queens because one guy had an RNG roll that resulted in the extremely rare chance of one turn's recruitable general slate all being women for one of the 10% cultures.

Or he just modded the game to manufacture some outrage

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think there's probably a bunch of stuff that people have wrong impressions about re: Rome 2, including that one. Lady generals are in the game though, they were added back with that desert kingdoms patch? And the family tree stuff did change things with the recent patch as well. I don't care about the issue beyond confirming that yeah those changes did happen.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Also this is the first time I've heard female generals were an option in Rome 2, which I think is neat and makes me want to Boudica it up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I think there's probably a bunch of stuff that people have wrong impressions about re: Rome 2, including that one. Lady generals are in the game though, they were added back with that desert kingdoms patch? And the family tree stuff did change things with the recent patch as well. I don't care about the issue beyond confirming that yeah those changes did happen.

The changes that happened and the changes that CA is being accused of making are not the same things. The original trog's complaint was that the majority of generals were now female.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 25, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Also this is the first time I've heard female generals were an option in Rome 2, which I think is neat and makes me want to Boudica it up.

You can get the lady herself to spawn if you're playing as the Iceni in the Augustus Campaign.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Yeah, same. I didn't even know they were a thing. Someone please make a mod that creates an all women faction. Thanks in advance!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, same. I didn't even know they were a thing. Someone please make a mod that creates an all women faction. Thanks in advance!

Well, you asked for it.

:nws: https://www.moddb.com/mods/amazons-total-war-refulgent :nws:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm sure you could find a passage by Herodotus that provides enough textual basis for an army of nude warrior women with big breasts. We rate this mode: Plausible.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Let me get this straight: I can insanely brutally slaughter thousands of w*men with war dogs and elephants in a huge goresplosion now? And I’m supposed to not love this update? Gwuh?!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The Duggler posted:

Or he just modded the game to manufacture some outrage

Better yet, he may have been so bad at the game, he killed off all the male generals, removing them from the pool.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
IDK if it was that guy, but this one famous TW lper made a Legendary LP as the high elves when warhammer 2 came out. The clip I saw of it was him manually controlling a bolt thrower shooting a tower for 15+ minutes while bitching about how he hated this fantasy crap.

These guys seem like a fun lot.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For those of you who play DeI, any idea how it interacts with the Daughters of Mars DLC? Do those units appear here or is it pointless to get it unless I'm playing vanilla?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

IDK if it was that guy, but this one famous TW lper made a Legendary LP as the high elves when warhammer 2 came out. The clip I saw of it was him manually controlling a bolt thrower shooting a tower for 15+ minutes while bitching about how he hated this fantasy crap.

These guys seem like a fun lot.

You're thinking of Legend of Total War, whose schtick is exploiting game systems and playing in the most optimal way - which tends to be boring. He's quite the drama king, but funnily enough he admitted he likes TWW2 after all was said and done. He made a 15 minutes long video about the controversy, but I'll be damned if I am watching him rambling about decorum for a quarter of an hour.

The dude who started this was ArchWarhammer, general shithead and mysoginist. His video was quickly followed by an article from the Daily Stormer, known white nationalist rag.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Whenever I play vanilla RT2W I'm always surprised by the fact they never released a Germanic or Britannic Celtic culture pack. Feels weird to have a category with only one option.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I'm still surprised they never fleshed out the Etruscans for the main campaign

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

LegendofTotalWar is great just for his "Saving Your Disaster Total War Games" series where people send him save games where they're in a desperate situation.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
It is classic manufactured right wing outrage. One dude makes up some dumb poo poo, frames it as a cultural marxist attack on white civilization, and the youtube algorithms ensure it gets passed around the right wing bubble. Other charlatans see something they can leap on to generate more clicks, they up the rhetoric to stand out among the crowd, and so it ends up this idiot feedback loop that can turn a mundane bit of news and a quote from months ago into some overhyped crisis serving as the greatest attack yet on True Gamers or whatever.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've got some weird RNG family members stuff in the R2TW beta patch that introduced family tree. It might have been the case for the shithead mentioned.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
FWIW the Total War reddit seems to have declared the outrage-brigade to be outside agitators, and turned on them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Looks like the Yellow Turbans will be the preorder bonus for 3 Kingdoms. Going by the description it sounds you're playing as the surviving rebels in the regular start date, instead of pulling the game back to 185, meh. Wish they would show more gameplay footage or do Pdox style dev diaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woEGXcvNe98

Release date is March 7.

e: better link.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 27, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Can't wait for the rest of China to feel the power of my ~maaaaaaaagiiiiiiiiic~

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So sorry if this has been posted recently, I did a search but couldn't locate anything.

I'm going to Europe next week, and I just finished watching "Vikings" and I have a strong urge to play a Medieval era strategy game. Which means I want to give Medieval II another crack as its been sitting in my steam library, played sparingly, for the better part of a decade.

Are there any must have mods I should know about? Gameplay quirks? I also haven't picked up the Kindgoms expansion yet but it's generally on sale for $5 on steam so thinking of getting that as well if I can get into the main campaign.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So sorry if this has been posted recently, I did a search but couldn't locate anything.

I'm going to Europe next week, and I just finished watching "Vikings" and I have a strong urge to play a Medieval era strategy game. Which means I want to give Medieval II another crack as its been sitting in my steam library, played sparingly, for the better part of a decade.

Are there any must have mods I should know about? Gameplay quirks? I also haven't picked up the Kindgoms expansion yet but it's generally on sale for $5 on steam so thinking of getting that as well if I can get into the main campaign.

I and others will have more to say later but for now I recommend that you play the vanilla campaign once but absolutely get kingdoms first, it's basically just better in every way and there isn't any reason to play the regular version instead of the single one they turn into that steam sells

Medieval II is my most played game of all time and off the top of my head the most important thing to do is to make sure you know what all the agents do, use lots of merchants, interact with the church and go on crusades/jihads, assassinate frequently and often, convert everyone to your religion, and make sure you make good use of your generals with exceptional or useful traits

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Yay for playable Yellow Turbans.

I'm not really bothered by the whole pre-order DLC stuff, but I think it's a dumb move on CA's part after the past two Warhammer pre-order fiascoes and the current review-bombing.

Also I find the choice of warlords weird. I'm somewhat base level understanding, but as far as I'm aware; He Yi, Gong Du, and Huang Shao were more akin to bandits who used the rebellion as a means for profit, rather than embracing the cause. If someone knows more/otherwise, please share I'd be interested to know.

Personally, I would have gone with Zhang Yan and the Black Mountain Bandits. Zhang Yan is by all means a bandit, but he's one of the most well-known and notorious bandits from the period. This gives me some hope that they'll be featured in the game though.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 27, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It seems Korea got omitted from the map, oh well :(

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Grab kingdoms and just do a vanilla campaign at first, Stainless Steel afterwards.

Words of advise, do not play as anything close to russia or Iraq. You'll cry. Twice.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Okay, if you like Vikings, you might adore Thrones of Britannia, the latest Total War game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mans posted:

Grab kingdoms and just do a vanilla campaign at first, Stainless Steel afterwards.

Words of advise, do not play as anything close to russia or Iraq. You'll cry. Twice.

Three times if the Turks decide to get a proper Jihad going in the early game.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Do, however, play as Novgorod in the Teutonic campaign, Turkey in the Crusades, and the Spanish in the New World because those are all spectacularly fun campaigns that let you experience those eastern units without succumbing to the event in late-game (except the New World campaign which is just fun as hell because you field a core of heavily armored Spanish troops with huge numbers of unarmored native auxilaries). Alternatively, you can start as the Russians and beeline somewhere else. A fun gamey tactic is to basically go horde mode for awhile, leaving your initial towns to fall to rebellion and poo poo, and take as many armies as you can possibly produce in the first 10-20 turns to either Scandinavia or Ireland. iirc Ireland is only one or two provinces so relatively easy to take. Then you can do some extremely fun stuff.

My favorite Medieval II campaign ever was probably Venice, though. They have an extremely cool selection of units, lots of crossbowmen with shields and armor, decent skirmisher cav and, above all else, plate armored archers and macemen which only the Scottish can really rival (they also get armored bowmen and powerful foot units) which you can use to effectively own the Byzantines and their wimpy swarms of weird spearmen and poorly armored horsemen. Plus their naval power makes them oodles of money, they're in a good position to control the papacy via pope assassinations and cardinal stacking, and if you island hop strategically you can quickly take Greece and the rich cities there. From Greece you can hop over to NA/Egypt where the most lucrative trade nodes in the world are, which will make you richer than hell. It isn't super critical but it useful to remember that having generals in the Balkans/Greece/Egypt/NA will give you access to unique mercenaries to fill stuff out which you can actually use since you'll be wealthy enough to pay their upkeep, and they can often fill gaps in the existing roster.

FInally, re: agents, recruit as many as you can at all times and whenever possible have them do something every turn, even if you don't need them to do the thing in question, really. I leave rebels alive to grind up my assassins and spies. I try to find heretics for my priests, but you can't farm stars/traits as easily for priests and merchants, so you just want to basically always have them wandering around converting and you want to send your merchants as far away from home as possible to do their trading as long as all your lucrative home resources are occupied (iron, gold, saltpeter, slaves, a few others are the really really important moneymakers).

God Medieval II is so good, I wish they would just straight up remake it with the same mechanics and everything in a prettier engine.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Do, however, play as Novgorod in the Teutonic campaign, Turkey in the Crusades, and the Spanish in the New World because those are all spectacularly fun campaigns that let you experience those eastern units without succumbing to the event in late-game (except the New World campaign which is just fun as hell because you field a core of heavily armored Spanish troops with huge numbers of unarmored native auxilaries). Alternatively, you can start as the Russians and beeline somewhere else. A fun gamey tactic is to basically go horde mode for awhile, leaving your initial towns to fall to rebellion and poo poo, and take as many armies as you can possibly produce in the first 10-20 turns to either Scandinavia or Ireland. iirc Ireland is only one or two provinces so relatively easy to take. Then you can do some extremely fun stuff.

My favorite Medieval II campaign ever was probably Venice, though. They have an extremely cool selection of units, lots of crossbowmen with shields and armor, decent skirmisher cav and, above all else, plate armored archers and macemen which only the Scottish can really rival (they also get armored bowmen and powerful foot units) which you can use to effectively own the Byzantines and their wimpy swarms of weird spearmen and poorly armored horsemen. Plus their naval power makes them oodles of money, they're in a good position to control the papacy via pope assassinations and cardinal stacking, and if you island hop strategically you can quickly take Greece and the rich cities there. From Greece you can hop over to NA/Egypt where the most lucrative trade nodes in the world are, which will make you richer than hell. It isn't super critical but it useful to remember that having generals in the Balkans/Greece/Egypt/NA will give you access to unique mercenaries to fill stuff out which you can actually use since you'll be wealthy enough to pay their upkeep, and they can often fill gaps in the existing roster.

FInally, re: agents, recruit as many as you can at all times and whenever possible have them do something every turn, even if you don't need them to do the thing in question, really. I leave rebels alive to grind up my assassins and spies. I try to find heretics for my priests, but you can't farm stars/traits as easily for priests and merchants, so you just want to basically always have them wandering around converting and you want to send your merchants as far away from home as possible to do their trading as long as all your lucrative home resources are occupied (iron, gold, saltpeter, slaves, a few others are the really really important moneymakers).

God Medieval II is so good, I wish they would just straight up remake it with the same mechanics and everything in a prettier engine.

This right here is why I want to play Medieval II and not the Thrones of Britannia expansion HerpicleOmnicron5 mentioned. I was debating starting as either France or Venice. But I'm leaning towards Venice so I can create a Mediterranean Empire, conquer Byzantine, get my own Pope installed, and rule as the proper successor state to the Roman Empire. :colbert:

That said, it's been awhile since I played a Total War game so I wonder how fast I may get invaded until I get used to the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Frog Act posted:

anyway, much more interestingly, I reinstalled Shogun 2 and was thinking about a new campaign of Rise of the Samurai, which I never beat. is it actually any fun with like some mods or something or is the unit variety just always too dismal? I was okay with the balance in the regular campaign and FOTS but I remember rise just not having a lot in terms of interesting mechanics.

I could also do FOTS with Darthmod and try to actually build the trans-Honshu railway, which I've never done before and seems like it could be pretty dope.

Rise of the Samurai is in my opinion actually one of the best and least-appreciated editions of the TW series. The factions and units are well-balanced, the tech trees and building paths aren't filled with traps, and the agents are all useful without being overpowered. It's a great game and more people should play it because it shows how a TW game should play.

But if you are looking for a game with a lot of unit variety and diverse mechanics then you should probably go with Darthmodded FOTS, since that's probably the epitome of "fun and interesting" without any particular focus on ensuring everything has a balanced role.