Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tollymain posted:

personally im starting to see the appeal of propaganda of the deed lmao

I mean, I'm long since past that, but America isn't going anywhere sadly. It's just going to continue to get worse. The oligarchy is already entrenched and will continue to enrich themselves until there is nothing left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

A personal confession with no evidence or corroborating evidence isn't sufficient evidence to prosecute let alone convict beyond a reasonable doubt. They're just doing this because they're getting paid to do so or trying to cover for their guy.

No republican senators have came out against Kavanaugh, and I don't see it happening. If they don't get Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS for whatever reason, then they'll confirm someone just as bad or worse ideologically speaking that happens to be less rapey.

I think Kavanaugh is inevitable, and the best hope we have is impeaching him in 2020, but that requires 66 democratic senators and just loving :lol: that alaska, arkansas, georgia, idaho, iowa, kansas, kentucky, louisiana, montana, nebraska, north carolina, oklahoma, south carolina, south dakota, tennessee, texas, west virginia, or wyoming would elect a democratic candidate in 2020.

I hope he's not confirmed, but I think he will be. In that case, you want a guy like Kav over another Gorsuch so that you have something obvious and simple to use to remove him from the bench.

The statue of limitations has long since passed for any prosecution for sexual assault, the Spartaci are 100% safe there.***

***: at least in Maryland, wrong:

Jarmak posted:

No statute of limitations for sexual assault in Maryland.

Kavanaugh withdrawing or not getting confirmed is a far more likely thing to happen than him getting impeached.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 27, 2018

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
The fact that there's a statute of limitations for sexual assault kind of pisses me off a lot. What the gently caress.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well you see, its their own fault for not coming out earli

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
So two random dudes just decided to tell the senate that they assaulted Ford, not Brett? Why would people do that?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
presumably extortion or large sums of money

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Meet your next democrat presidential nominee.

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1045130576242577408

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

I toxxed for him in CSPAM last night

#basta

Also more evidence conservatives are poo poo stains (these aren't actually questions that will be asked, just what x person would ask if they were)

https://twitter.com/michaelcrowley/status/1045131991635709952?s=19

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

So two random dudes just decided to tell the senate that they assaulted Ford, not Brett? Why would people do that?

Because they believe in Kavanaugh enough to take one for the team or they're getting paid to do so.

joat mon posted:

The statue of limitations has long since passed for any prosecution for sexual assault, the Spartaci are 100% safe there.

Kavanaugh withdrawing or not getting confirmed is a far more likely thing to happen than him getting impeached.

I know, but I don't believe that's going to happen either. He's probably going to get confirmed or someone worse than him during the lame duck session. He should be removed from the bench regardless, but ce la vis.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
build the guillotine, make republicans pay for it

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tryzzub posted:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tryzzub posted:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.businessinsider.com/mike-pences-wife-refused-to-kiss-him-on-trump-election-night-2018-9

quote:

Vice President Mike Pence tried to kiss his wife Karen in the minutes after Trump won the 2016 election on November 9 - but she reportedly turned away from him and said: "You got what you wanted. Now leave me alone."

:laugh:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
But Mother...

Edit: Kav's getting confirmed. One waffling Republican isn't going to hold this up. Unless he breaks out into maniacal laughter in the hearing, this is a done deal.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yikes.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1045315225128497152?s=19

Gonna be a long hearing.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Grassley is such a dumb senile old gently caress and a terrible partisan hack.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

joat mon posted:

The statue of limitations has long since passed for any prosecution for sexual assault, the Spartaci are 100% safe there.

Murkowski is very likely a no vote, she was already under enormous pressure from back home because of Kavanaugh's rulings on indigenous peoples. Fox News of all places is reporting that there's 7 GOP senators that are ready to defect depending on how this hearing goes: Murkowski, Collins, Flake, Corker, and three unknowns.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jarmak posted:

Murkowski is very likely a no vote, she was already under enormous pressure from back home because of Kavanaugh's rulings on indigenous peoples. Fox News of all places is reporting that there's 7 GOP senators that are ready to defect depending on how this hearing goes: Murkowski, Collins, Flake, Corker, and three unknowns.

Ok, that's the first real glimmer of hope I've seen.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1045316604890927106?s=19

Lol he's gonna get confirmed. The vote is tomorrow still

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Reminder that Flake has already torpedoed a lovely Trump judicial nominee and has stonewalled the judiciary committee from confirming anyone for the last two months almost.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

lol https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-45665280

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/me...ed-states-day-5

Here's the Ford hearing. Live now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

They got the prosecutor for Joe Arpaio's county to do the questioning?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That Works posted:

I'm not sure who they got, but after listening to Ford's opening statement she immediately seemed to soften and seemed sympathetic.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not sure who they got, but after listening to Ford's opening statement she immediately seemed to soften and seemed sympathetic.

Her byline on the CSPAM feed just said Maricopa Co, AZ prosecutor.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

That Works posted:

Yes and apparently a lot of sexual assault stuff was just ignored for years there

Edit: on phone so can't format quotes inside quotes easily so here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867443&pagenumber=2810&perpage=40#post488347853

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 27, 2018

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1045329337644404736?s=19

https://twitter.com/charlie_savage/status/1045329092801974273?s=19

loving vile that she's going through this, but drat.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Yes and apparently a lot of sexual assault stuff was just ignored for years there

Edit: on phone so can't format quotes inside quotes easily so here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867443&pagenumber=2810&perpage=40#post488347853

She was responsible for prosecuting the backlog of cases that Arpaio ignored.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...age%2Fstory-ans

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lets ask a professor specializing in neuropsychology about memory! Theres no possible way this could backfire!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Lets ask a professor specializing in neuropsychology about memory! Theres no possible way this could backfire!
My meth head constituents don't know what all those fancy words mean. So I vote we confirm the rapist.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Oh drat they cross interrogated fishmech

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So that’s what happens when you bring a Senator to a neurologist fight. drat.

I think Kavanaugh is going to get confirmed. If I’m wrong and some GOP senators suddenly grow a conscience and torpedo the nomination, I’ll add to the momentum of good things happening by making a $25 donation to my local animal rescue.

:toxx:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

FrozenVent posted:

lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

:5:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I think Kavanaugh is going to get confirmed. If I’m wrong and some GOP senators suddenly grow a conscience and torpedo the nomination, I’ll add to the momentum of good things happening by making a $25 donation to my local animal rescue.

Know what? I think he's gonna get rejected. I'll put down $25 to DVA.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FrozenVent posted:

gently caress

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There’s going to be five GOP senators that defect and ten Dem senators that vote to confirm in the name of bipartisanship and senate norms :v:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I mean we need at least 3 defections, because Manchin needs the political cover as he is going to lose re-election to a Republican if he votes against Kavanaugh.

Like polling showed he'd lose what, 15-20%? It went from a race with him comfortably in the lead to a dead tie.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There is no manuchin voter who’s swing issue is the kavanaugh vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not gonna toxx on it but $20 to the humane society works. If Republicans don't ramrod him through their base will flay them alive then piss on the wounds even if it's only a few "traitors". They're terrified of the Frankenstein's Monster base they've created and the supreme court has been promised to them for decades as the solution to all the gays, liberals, sluts, abortions and browns the politicians tell them have caused their problems. Their financial overlords also want the legal system they've paid for.

They'll eat the poo poo sandwich they've served themselves for the midterms, maybe even the next few elections, bail out on the think tank/policy advisor golden parachute for any that go down, and gerrymander/vote suppress their way into survival for as many as possible confident that they've got three or four decades of anything being fixed preemptively fist hosed with the judicial branch. Then they'll get in power once they've memory-holed how bad Dementia Donnie is and ride the merry-go-round again.

• Locked thread