Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

What should you be doing now? Giving your kids to a family that will loving educate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These responses don't seem very girl positive folks

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

zoux posted:

These responses don't seem very girl positive folks
I am positive those girls need a new home

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

That picture is from Marwencol. Using that for this is so gross. :(

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Is anti-literacy the new anti-vax? Good lord. We've had it too easy for too long. We're forgetting why we needed these in the first place.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Unschooling, as I understand it, is an off-shoot of homeschooling, except you don't have lessons at all until the kid comes to you and is like, I want to learn this thing. Because you want children to explore the world naturally and in their own time, versus forcing them and making learning a thing they hate!

Except that unless your home is an environment where you're learning and exploring constantly and that's presented as a fun thing, most kids are going to go play instead of asking to learn to read.

I knew a guy who was "unschooled." Nice guy. He could read, at least. But he was incredibly ignorant about basic history and science and math, because no one had ever sat him down and made him learn it.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

There's a big amount of bourgeois elitism in it, the assumption being the public schools suck poo poo and it's because the "system" doesn't career to creative little snowflakes like their kids, not terminal lack of funding. If the family is rich enough that one parent can stay home to watch/"teach" the kids on a permanent basis, they definitely are part of the socioeconomic class bent on destroying every common good in society.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I feel like homeschooling gets used as an excuse for religious parents to just further influence their kids' beliefs. At least in my area that's how it seems.

Unschooling seems like a logical next step in that case.

And yes I get that there are legitimate reasons to homeschool like illness.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress me, that's actually a thing? When did it become "natural" for offspring to determine when and what they want to learn?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

Is anti-literacy the new anti-vax? Good lord. We've had it too easy for too long. We're forgetting why we needed these in the first place.

Just lol if you think that person isn't also antivax

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was unschooled until 7th grade, ama

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

seiferguy posted:

What’s 3 + 5

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I unschool my son by helping him google random poo poo when he wants to learn about it, like tornadoes or megalodons or candy corn, this is just people not wanting to get up at 6:15 to get to the bus

disclaimer: he is six and in normal school, because I'm not an idiot (except on SA)

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Grimdude posted:

I feel like homeschooling gets used as an excuse for religious parents to just further influence their kids' beliefs. At least in my area that's how it seems.

Unschooling seems like a logical next step in that case.

And yes I get that there are legitimate reasons to homeschool like illness.

My boss homeschools his kids. Or I guess, his wife homeschools them. But they aren’t religious, and are more liberal.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Did your house have indoor plumbing? Also,

jesus WEP posted:

What’s 3 + 5

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Somfin posted:

A genetic line can stay around for a while if they become a servitor species to a dominant one.

See humans in the service of wheat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This article about unschooling (and in the context of galaxy brained SV geniouses) went viral a few years ago, that's where I first heard of it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

walrusman posted:

Did your house have indoor plumbing? Also,

Yes, also 8. Math was actually my best subject. My parents bought math books designed at homeschooling, told me they were there but didn't have like a lesson plan. I worked out of them on my own accord. When I did standardized tests after I started going to school, I always scored in the top percentiles, but struggled with basic homework because the math school books were garbage and I wasn't good at learning from a teacher.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm not sure is this belongs in 'IOSM' thread, but I couldn't find the 'This poo poo make me want to eat a bullet' thread.

https://twitter.com/calebecarma/status/1045029337316159489

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

belt posted:

gently caress me, that's actually a thing? When did it become "natural" for offspring to determine when and what they want to learn?

It's actually a big question in pedagogy because genuine interest in a subject is the best motivator to learn poo poo. There are a few teaching methods that incorporate it. Like I know Montessori is all about self-driven learning, but it's in a classroom environment where everything to do is about building a certain skill set and teachers guide students to different things as they grow.

Everything I've heard about unschooling is that it's just a "gently caress you and your system" approach to education largely propagated by parents who don't want to have to actually tell their kids to do anything.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

All the home schooled kids I knew say they got insane amounts of pussy. That’s what they told me verbatim

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

oldpainless posted:

All the home schooled kids I knew say they got insane amounts of pussy. That’s what they told me verbatim

But enough about the Duggar siblings.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

there wolf posted:

It's actually a big question in pedagogy because genuine interest in a subject is the best motivator to learn poo poo. There are a few teaching methods that incorporate it. Like I know Montessori is all about self-driven learning, but it's in a classroom environment where everything to do is about building a certain skill set and teachers guide students to different things as they grow.

Everything I've heard about unschooling is that it's just a "gently caress you and your system" approach to education largely propagated by parents who don't want to have to actually tell their kids to do anything.

Yeah research has definitely shown that student-driven learning is the best, though it's easier said than done of course. In practice it's more "We're going to be practicing literary analysis, but which book you choose is up to you." or "We're going to be writing a research essay on marginalized groups in American History, but you can pick which one for the big project."

Which of course is at odds with BIGGER TEST SCORES BABY so it can be hard to do that kind of skills-focused, content-neutral learning while still making sure every kid knows what iambic pentameter is without access to Google.

Still better than any of the outcomes of Unschooling tho :toot:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Homeschooling should be illegal except under the direst of circumstances

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Andrast posted:

Homeschooling should be illegal except under the direst of circumstances

:agreed:

Tbh there's no real reason not to just make it fully part of the Special Education department of the public school system (afaik some places already do this), having supervisors to do home visits, check in, evaluate progress, etc. Basically just make it a part of their IEP, they can even still come to the public school for certain classes/socialization that way. The parents can still be "teachers" and limit the exposure to the deadly deadly liberal cooties, the kids might actually be able to do math when they graduate.

EDIT: Hahahahaha wait this requires adequately funding a Special Education department lol nvm

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

Um.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yes, did you have a question?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Their parents just had a whole lot of cats.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think this is probably fake, but it's still too funny to not share.
https://twitter.com/SeeSpotGoranger/status/1045042051992162310

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/rachel-butera-mocks-christine-blasey-ford_us_5bad28ffe4b0425e3c21ae64

What possessed this idiot to do this?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

Yes, did you have a question?

Several, but none that I’d like answered.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

enigmahfc posted:

I'm not sure is this belongs in 'IOSM' thread, but I couldn't find the 'This poo poo make me want to eat a bullet' thread.

https://twitter.com/calebecarma/status/1045029337316159489

Close enough. Also gently caress Katy Tur, she's a transmisic piece of poo poo.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What does transmisic mean?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Volcott posted:

What does transmisic mean?

A person who is disgusted by and/or hates trans people.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Good to know, thanks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

"I was by no means mocking a rape victim"

Uh oh. Someone is getting a call from Disney.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Skwirl posted:

I think this is probably fake, but it's still too funny to not share.
https://twitter.com/SeeSpotGoranger/status/1045042051992162310

God I hate this post, it's "trans girls," not "transgirls." Also the dude is a creepy chaser and the wife is an idiot if she thinks he wasn't doing this beforehand.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Zesty posted:

"I was by no means mocking a rape victim"

Well, you were mocking her, and she's a rape victim. So.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Gynocentric Regime posted:

A person who is disgusted by and/or hates trans people.

What’s the difference between that and transphobia?