Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
There's also always the question of why the large organization isn't shoring up the finances given that they are tax free for just that purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Lutha Mahtin posted:

are you seriously making an Ayn Rand argument to explain why a poor parish can't afford to pay their pastor very much

e: whoops i forgot to quote epicurious when i posted vvvvvvvv

No. Obviously poor parishes don't pay their pastors much because they don't have much money. But it's my understanding that even in churches in rich areas, religious leaders don't tend to take home much in the way of salary. Putting aside a small number of megachurch, prosperity gospel pastors, who make an awful lot, clergy tend not to be very well paid. Because I have it easy to hand, the base salary for a Catholic priest in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati is $30,900 a year.

http://www.catholiccincinnati.org/ministries-offices/human-resources-office/salaries/

The median salary of an MA in Cincinnati is $51,959

The guidelines for the ECLA Minneapolis Area Synod recommends a base salary+housing allowance for beginning pastors of $59,790. The median salary of somebody with an MA in the Minneapolis area is $63,284.

The guidelines for the ECLA Nebraska synod recommends a base salary of $34,088 and a housing allowance of $10,226. Median salary for an MA in Nebraska is 55,054.

Keep in mind, the numbers I'm citing aren't based on parish wealth. This isn't the matter of a poor church not being able to pay their pastor a higher salary because they don't have the money. This is the Catholic Church hierarchy and the ECLA hierarchy saying what they recommend a pastor should be paid. So you can't just say "Why does society not think pastors should be paid more" without also saying "Why do the Catholic Church and ECLA not think pastors should be paid more."

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liquid Communism posted:

There's also always the question of why the large organization isn't shoring up the finances given that they are tax free for just that purpose.

at this point? they don't want to be involved in class action lawsuits until ALL the clergy sex abuse cases die out, which is unlikely to happen anytime soon

like even if there are ZERO cases of it happening today (there are not zero cases of it happening today, but let's hope there are zero coverups even though there are not zero coverups), that's still decades worth of crimes and criminal conspiracies to cover up crimes that are continuing to be unearthed, and will sometimes lead to criminal convictions and likely to class action settlements. a number of parishes have closed down as a result of these cases (which sucks, because it's basically the equivalent of punishing a school for the misdeeds of an administration, or workers for the errors of management, but that's capitalism for you), and that number would potentially increase if parish finances were pooled.

also; rich people don't want their money supporting poor people. that's just, like, a thing

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yup. The difference between the stated mission and the day-to-day methods is always depressing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Most denominations do precisely that. If they decide a church is needed in a place that can't afford to support it, they'll kick in funds from the organization. My mom's home church is even lending a pastor to another small church to help them stay afloat.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah i'm still drafting my huge dunk post on epicurius, but i need to chime in and say that liquid's and senju's recent posts about church governance and finances are just bizarre in terms of their ignorance, regarding how these organizations actually exist, and how they are run

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah i'm still drafting my huge dunk post on epicurius, but i need to chime in and say that liquid's and senju's recent posts about church governance and finances are just bizarre in terms of their ignorance, regarding how these organizations actually exist, and how they are run

You don't need to actually dunk on me. Write me off as an ignorant idiot if you want. It doesn't bother me.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

keep in mind my experience with this poo poo is entirely as a catholic who was in a pew

i never had to take any of those church finances classes as an ma student, and as a mts graduate the only difference was the length of the paper i had to write and the number of people who needed to grade it

i still feel that the statement "it's capitalism and the only way for it to get better is to overthrow the capitalist system that privileges profit over people" is applicable

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think your average church is probably not that well-off financially. I've attended multiple churches that met in rented or donated spaces and I remember the preacher's kid getting free lunch in high school.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Senju Kannon posted:

keep in mind my experience with this poo poo is entirely as a catholic who was in a pew

i never had to take any of those church finances classes as an ma student, and as a mts graduate the only difference was the length of the paper i had to write and the number of people who needed to grade it

i still feel that the statement "it's capitalism and the only way for it to get better is to overthrow the capitalist system that privileges profit over people" is applicable

yeah i wasn't referring to your posts on economic theory, and while i'm not an internet communist or whatever i would agree that a functional and strong social safety net in the US would be a great improvement for everyone, including and especially lower-middle-class-and-below pastors. it was more the glib statements about "oh but they do this and don't do that and do this other thing and" and like cmon cite evidence hardcore or frogout is my take on that stuff

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm pretty sure my priest has a salary, but then, according to our bishop, our parish is home to people whose fundraising and accounting are apparently directly responsible for keeping the whole Metropolis solvent. So we lucked out in having a good budget.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 26, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

parishes are financially independent and depend on tithes and donations from parishioners for funding

so, a lot of the time it's just a reflection of the parishioners' own financial stability

we live in an economy, guys
no, they are economically subordinate to the diocese and the church sets the payments. they are paid by the diocese, they just cap them at a very low number. This is policy.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 26, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

senju would rather blame capitalism than learn i'm afraid

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GUNS posted:

yeah, i'm pretty sure capitalism IS why you can have a master's degree and still need food stamps, but i guess you're too busy pining for an inbred monstrosity wearing stolen gold and jewels to poo poo themselves on a throne than examine the material reality of capitalism

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

So, I'd appreciate some spiritual energy. You know I'm a fellow traveler, and things are really going south. I've had a (hopefully brief) relapse with hard drugs, my anxiety and depression has resurfaced, and I'm trying to work the steps again while taking school and managing a relationship to my parents and girlfriend.

Any thoughts or prayers will be appreciated. Thank you!

HEY GUNS posted:

Senju Kannon posted:

yeah, i'm pretty sure capitalism IS why you can have a master's degree and still need food stamps, but i guess you're too busy pining for an inbred monstrosity wearing stolen gold and jewels to poo poo themselves on a throne than examine the material reality of capitalism

Guys, I'm no expert when it comes to not angryposting, but it sounds like you're directing something at each other that isn't really the others fault. Forgive and move on?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Tias posted:

So, I'd appreciate some spiritual energy. You know I'm a fellow traveler, and things are really going south. I've had a (hopefully brief) relapse with hard drugs, my anxiety and depression has resurfaced, and I'm trying to work the steps again while taking school and managing a relationship to my parents and girlfriend.

Energy inbound. Prayers, thoughts, both. Keep up the fight; if you don't know how much you're appreciated and wanted around here, I'll say it. You are.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

I will add you to my nightly prayers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inexhaustible_Chalice

Senju Kannon posted:

your situation is as old as the university itself; capitalism can't have been its sole cause.

both poorly-paid professions (except law) and too many graduates for the available posts are ancient complaints.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Tias posted:

Guys, I'm no expert when it comes to not angryposting, but it sounds like you're directing something at each other that isn't really the others fault. Forgive and move on?

"You can't forgive in here, this is a Christianity thread!".

Best of luck to yourself Tias. I hope that your life improves and that you get what you are looking for.

HEY GUNS posted:

your situation is as old as the university itself; capitalism can't have been its sole cause.

both poorly-paid professions (except law) and too many graduates for the available posts are ancient complaints.

They may well be ancient complaints, but in the same way that we can have problems that technically stretch back millennia we can usually see that there are a great deal of differences in how different time periods experience them.

Often the fact that people aren't employed are because the larger state has started abrogating it's responsibilities to local potentates, at least that was one of the reasons for the Qing Empire's own refusal to hire scholars and bureaucrats.

Our current system requires a great deal more work to function as it "should". Not least in fair remuneration for everyone.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Tias posted:

Any thoughts or prayers will be appreciated. Thank you!

St. Maximillian Kolbe, please hear our prayers.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Thinking of you, Tias. I know plenty of us in this thread love you as dearly as an internet acquaintance can be loved.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
There is always a second chance. You are never at the end of the road.

edit: What about you, Joseph bugman? You hanging in there?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HopperUK posted:

as dearly as an internet acquaintance can be loved.
i don't believe there is a distinction between "the internet" and "real life." It's still human contact, and I've made many friends this way.

Any one of you is welcome to hang out with me in person, if we're ever in the same place. (Except Jastiger, not because i think he'd be bad company but because in the age of #metoo we have to send the message that if you harass women nobody will be friends with you until you repent)

I know like...half of the people in the military history thread irl.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pershing posted:

St. Maximillian Kolbe, please hear our prayers.

also st. mark ji tianxiang

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

also st. mark ji tianxiang
☦☦☦☦☦☦☦💮💮💮📿

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

HEY GUNS posted:

i don't believe there is a distinction between "the internet" and "real life." It's still human contact, and I've made many friends this way.

I was really meaning to lean more on 'acquaintance' because I personally don't know Tias very well and we haven't spoken much:) I agree with you, in those terms. And if anyone's ever in the vicinity of St Albans or London, hit me up.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

Every day I wake up is another day and I have to keep going for at least a bit longer.

Eventually I will die though, so there is that to look forward to!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

as a general aside here, i would like to promote this PSA post of: mental health is cool and good. all well-studied issues classified under "mental health" or "mental illness" are real things that actually exist. they are real, and (can be) strong, and are normal. if you know that you have a condition that falls under this banner, or even if you're not sure but you think you might, realize that it's totally OK. just because you didn't, for example, get a body part cut off, does not mean that you don't have a real medical concern

you should be cool, and strong, and good. because you are. you are here, reading this post. i apologize that it is probably, har har har, a post of poo poo quality. but no really, you are thinking about this thing and imo even the understanding that one wishes to improve one's health, by itself, is super significant. so be cool and keep posting here, because we will want to keep hearing from you

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

why don't you keep putting that day off and in the mean time get meds and help!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

why don't you keep putting that day off and in the mean time get meds and help!

I am not planning on going anywhere until my parents pass away. In the meantime I can keep going for probably another 20 years or so. If I keep on top of my current meds anyway.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GUNS posted:

I will add you to my nightly prayers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inexhaustible_Chalice

you realize you’re defending a status quo that keeps half of the richest country in the world in poverty

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i would love to report the poo poo out of senju and hegel's latest childish snipes at each other but i definitely couldn't explain the reasoning in 140 chars. so fux off, bofa youse

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i would love to report the poo poo out of senju and hegel's latest childish snipes at each other but i definitely couldn't explain the reasoning in 140 chars. so fux off, bofa youse

And this is what forgiveness is all about.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Tias, I am happy that you are my brother in whatever term we may both use to talk about the ultimate meaning.

Josef bugman posted:

"You can't forgive in here, this is a Christianity thread!".

Excellent.

Josef bugman posted:

Every day I wake up is another day and I have to keep going for at least a bit longer.

It's a relief to be able to face our mortality with tenderness and without fear. But then we may as well also look forward to the present, living moment with fearlessness and appreciation as well. It's enjoyable to smile to both life and non-life. And we should also recognize that the conditions for life to manifest are indeed precious, and that they continue to apply to us for as long as we are alive. It may even be enjoyable to nourish life and protect the conditions for it in ways that don't feel unnatural or meaningless.

I feel for the pain of living. I hope that you feel free to avail yourself of me and others here and elsewhere in your life for compassionate listening, which is a practice for everyone. I hope it can be relieving and even insight-provoking to have the opportunity to be fully heard and not attacked.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Thanks everybody :3:

HEY GUNS posted:

There is always a second chance. You are never at the end of the road.

I'm relatively hopeful. I got a new sponsor who's pretty adamant about drilling some spiritual discipline into me - and, come to think of it, nothing now is what it was like just 5 years ago, so there's no saying how stuff will turn around again.

Josef bugman posted:

I am not planning on going anywhere until my parents pass away. In the meantime I can keep going for probably another 20 years or so. If I keep on top of my current meds anyway.

If you want to talk depression and recovery, hit me up. I've largely turned around from terminal and self-destructive depression to feeling allright most of the time.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

I'm relatively hopeful. I got a new sponsor who's pretty adamant about drilling some spiritual discipline into me
When I feel like things are terrible I talk to my godfather. I think having lots of people around is important. Does your sponsor belong to any particular religion?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

no u

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Which Early Christian Heresy Are You?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Monophysite and proud of it :agesilaus:

e: the guy who made this quiz also did at least four other fun quizzes: Which Mid-Twentieth-Century Anglican Theologian Are You? (I'm John A.T. Robinson, former Bishop of Woolwich who spearheaded secular theology), Which Minor Shakespeare Character Are You? (Friar Lawrence from The Two Gentlemen of Verona who is so minor that he doesn't even appear onstage), Which Obscure Renaissance Composer Are You? (Laurentius de Vourda, which suits me well because most of his extant works are kept in Munich and Vienna, respectively) and Which Preces and Responses Setting Are You? (the Tomkins Responses which, after giving them a listen of youtube, really are neat!)

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 27, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I got Docetism, which in retrospect should come as no surprise. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

this owns extremely hard

I'm going to give #6 as a joke exam question to my chemistry class.