Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

got whiplash from all the avalanche editing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Something about the way it lands, but ym daughter and I love the part where Rock answers the phone and the bots riff "It's me, the avalanche, are you ready for me?!"

Doltos posted:

How do you guys feel about the sheer amount of jokes in season 11? It feels like every scene has 5 rapid fire jokes packed into it which seems kinda too much for a rifftrack. Also Jonah's hashtag jokes are just too grating.

With riffs, I take quality over quantity and depending on who's riffing determine how much is too much. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I am not a big fan of Rifftrax for this reason. It seems like they grind out episodes and the riffs just, try to hard. They still have some gems, but a lot of their stuff I just won't set through.

MST3K S11 delivers rapid fire, but usually hits. I really enjoyed all the episodes and am looking forward to next season.

I almost wish they would do 1 a week or something. If you get a big dump of material, sometimes really good stuff seems not so good when it's being released along with brilliant pieces

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

with just a bit of self-control, you could make it a 1-a-week sort of deal :)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I love Rifftrax, but I always feel like it is missing something important.

And that something is puppets and skits.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
And silhouettes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If they end the interstitials with something other than a constant "AAAA ITS MOVIE SIGN AGAIN!" it will be a perfect season.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bruceski posted:

If they end the interstitials with something other than a constant "AAAA ITS MOVIE SIGN AGAIN!" it will be a perfect season.

In a weird way, I miss commercial sign. It was a much more low-key way to end a host segment and get us back into the theater.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

It's why I kind of miss the Just The Jokes mp3s, even though the app is more convenient for syncing. They'd usually do a little skit with Disembaudio and the boys at the start while doing the explanation of how to manually sync.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

It's why I kind of miss the Just The Jokes mp3s, even though the app is more convenient for syncing. They'd usually do a little skit with Disembaudio and the boys at the start while doing the explanation of how to manually sync.

You do get Disembaudio breaking it down over the credits of 'Cool As Ice.'*

*Mike: "Because fifteen million of you sad bastards bought 'To The Extreme.'"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dixville posted:

I never noticed how hilarious this look was before but now I will do the same

lol

I love this loving show. Most of my favorite eps, including the revival, are still Mike episodes, but I'm so loving glad that Joel was the one in charge of the revival. He just gets the goofy, dorky weirdness of it all. There's a lot about the obviously rushed, amateurish production schedule that bothers me, but it's also weirdly part of the charm.

During the live show I saw in Boston, they brought this shiny-eyed kid up to the stage to volunteer, and he got that terrified look in his eyes (which is something every live performance staff should know how to handle), and there were volunteers, but Joel was clearly the lead behind the whole thing, and the panicky "gently caress, how do I fix this?" look in his eyes was just endearing (between Joel and the rest of the crew, they were able to calm him down a little and get him back to his seat before the real tears set in).

It basically just feels like he has tried, more than anything else, to make the show (and its cast) approachable, like all of its weird fans can feel connected to it more personally than they feel to other stuff.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I got to do the VIP meet-and-greet with Joel and Jonah during the last tour, and they were both great but Joel in particular went out of his way to make conversation and have everyone feel at ease.

Also, it always seemed like the kids' fan letters meant a lot to him, given the prominence he'd give them at the end of his episodes.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

muscles like this! posted:

Avalanche is great for just how mean it is to the mother. She's crushed in the avalanche, dies, is revived and then the goddamn ambulance drives off a bridge when taking her to the hospital.

Like four people in this movie die or are grievously injured just by reckless driving. It's absolutely one of my favorites.

Also, I do hope they eventually manage to get Inframan. It's a truly amazing movie. He's got amazing thunderball fists! He's the man beyond bionics!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

One of the things I love about Avalanche is the IMDB entry about how Corman wasn’t happy with the snow. So they added a bunch of styrofoam snow to enhance it, then skipped town.

After the spring thaw, it was covered in lovely fake snow.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I got to do the VIP meet-and-greet with Joel and Jonah during the last tour, and they were both great but Joel in particular went out of his way to make conversation and have everyone feel at ease.

Also, it always seemed like the kids' fan letters meant a lot to him, given the prominence he'd give them at the end of his episodes.

imo if you can do something that is inherently adult but also reaches kids then you've got something great. kids are just little adults who dont know anything yet, but they have a lot of truth to speak and they know what they like, and what they dont like. so being able to do something that is appealing to adults in a complex way but also something that kids enjoy is real hard to do, and a sign that whatever you're doing is well done and just wholesome

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

remusclaw posted:

I feel this exact same way. I'm a bit amazed at myself that apparently the 'guy and robots' storyline is actually important to my enjoyment of the whole thing. I like Rifftrax fine but I don't like it as much as MST3K, despite it having my favourite riffing team.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mike > Joel >_______________________________________________________________________ Jonah

I still appreciate Joel for the revival and you can tell that he truly loves this show, but Mike episodes were always the funniest to me including the sketches.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Jonah's good though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

PostNouveau posted:

Jonah's good though.

#ThanksforStickingupforMe #JonahIsFunny #TimeForTheFifteenthHashtagJokeThisEpisode

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Jonah's good though.

I actually like Jonah a little bit more than Joel (with Mike at the top.) Joel's dry delivery doesn't always work for me.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gaz-L posted:

Patton screaming "WHO MUST WE KILL TO SLAKE THY ANGER?!?" may be the biggest laugh s11 got from me.

I was more a fan of Kinga's confused, "Is this that Hamilton thing?"

Mr. Fowl posted:

Also, I do hope they eventually manage to get Inframan. It's a truly amazing movie. He's got amazing thunderball fists! He's the man beyond bionics!

I never saw the movie, but I have seen James Rolfe's review and I'm sold. Nothing but cheese and endless explosions.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavok posted:

I never saw the movie, but I have seen James Rolfe's review and I'm sold. Nothing but cheese and endless explosions.

It's for free on Amazon Prime if you got that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mokinokaro posted:

I actually like Jonah a little bit more than Joel (with Mike at the top.) Joel's dry delivery doesn't always work for me.

There was a period in time where I couldn't tell the difference between Joel and Mike and I just assumed they were the same person. It wasn't until Youtube playlists that I realized some Joel episodes were actually Mike and visa versa. I like Joel, he's not that bad at riffing.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I still contend that Joel absolutely was as good as Mike at his best, but that 3 seasons of of figuring poo poo out averages him down some where Mike coming on was pretty much a guy entering a show at it's peak and maintaining.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Doltos posted:

I like Joel, he's not that bad at riffing.

oh thems fightin words buddy

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Oh, neat, the thread has suddenly regressed into circa-1994 alt.tv.mst3k.

:munch:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Oh, neat, the thread has suddenly regressed into circa-1994 alt.tv.mst3k.

:munch:

Nah, then people would be way angrier about it.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Time to talk about Julia Sawalha for 500 pages, then

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

remusclaw posted:

I still contend that Joel absolutely was as good as Mike at his best, but that 3 seasons of of figuring poo poo out averages him down some where Mike coming on was pretty much a guy entering a show at it's peak and maintaining.

This is accurate.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Just to make sure we're getting a full bell curve of opinions, I really enjoyed s11 and think it's as good as any season between 2-10. Except the Christmas movie, I can never sit through those and find them incredibly boring.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Another Bill posted:

Just to make sure we're getting a full bell curve of opinions, I really enjoyed s11 and think it's as good as any season between 2-10. Except the Christmas movie, I can never sit through those and find them incredibly boring.

I on the other hand have always hated Christmas movies in general, and I find the MST3K treatment is generally the only way I can stomach them. No Scroogin either, I like Christmas just fine, but the movies all seem made specifically to irritate me.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's weird that in a show about watching bad movies the quality of the bad movie matters. I really can't watch the Christmas specials because they're all creepy 1950s santa movies. The top tier MST3K episodes always seem to feature an interesting bad movie.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

It's weird that in a show about watching bad movies the quality of the bad movie matters. I really can't watch the Christmas specials because they're all creepy 1950s santa movies. The top tier MST3K episodes always seem to feature an interesting bad movie.

And there's of course Hamlet as the ur-example.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm partial to the Fu Manchu film when it comes to movies I can barely comprehend, much less enjoy. I mean there are ones just as bad in the KTMA seasons, but they really don't count, "The Castle of Fu Manchu" is unwatchable.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Gavok posted:

I was more a fan of Kinga's confused, "Is this that Hamilton thing?"

I highly recommend giving Inframan a watch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I absolutely loved S11, and I think it helped almost all the films were really watchable on their own without tons of just ambling filler time that plagued older seasons.

The tripadvisor joke destroyed me as did the final riff of Carnival Magic.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Mokinokaro posted:

And there's of course Hamlet as the ur-example.

Monster A-Go-Go can be difficult for me to stay awake for.

There are also a handful of episodes where the movie just makes me sad or annoyed and I tend to skip over them. Like the ending of Girl in Lover's Lane.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Rocket Attack USA and Invasion USA are a good double feature, I've found.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Barudak posted:

I absolutely loved S11, and I think it helped almost all the films were really watchable on their own without tons of just ambling filler time that plagued older seasons.

The tripadvisor joke destroyed me as did the final riff of Carnival Magic.

recently rewatched carnival magic on a whim and man does that movie have a creepy rapey vibe to it. plus that really sucky racist joke about the car chase.

but it’s the 70s so i guess par for the course.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Doltos posted:

It's a bummer when someone describes a bad movie that sounds interesting, but then it turns out to be too unwatchable for the riffing to be fun. Namely Monster A-Go-Go and Rifftrax's Curse of Bigfoot. Someone in the Rifftrax thread explained why Curse of Bigfoot is so bonkers and inexplicable and I was 100% on board, but it's also too tedious and boring for me to recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gavok posted:

It's a bummer when someone describes a bad movie that sounds interesting, but then it turns out to be too unwatchable for the riffing to be fun. Namely Monster A-Go-Go and Rifftrax's Curse of Bigfoot. Someone in the Rifftrax thread explained why Curse of Bigfoot is so bonkers and inexplicable and I was 100% on board, but it's also too tedious and boring for me to recommend.

Weirdly enough I've never been given a bad recommendation for MS3TK. It seems like this entire thread has a pretty good nose for the best bad movies and that true bad movies are easy to filter out.