Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Like, literally, even. One lion a day!

iirc the bags are separated by lion, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
That Lost Light penultimate book was really something. That Hot Rod speech was actually great.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Man, James Roberts is a hero. This issue is the greatest homage I've ever seen to the original movie. Halfway through, The Touch starts playing in my head and it's so fitting, so drat fitting.

What a great sendoff this has been and there's still one issue left. Six years of amazing stuff this run has been. I can actually legit say I'll never forget it.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I keep debating checking in on the comics before they all get rebooted again but a part of me keeps saying I miss TAAO and want those stories instead.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
there's a 15% off anything eBay coupon today "PICKSOON"

i now own a lot of robot dinosaurs

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sba posted:

there's a 15% off anything eBay coupon today "PICKSOON"

i now own a lot of robot dinosaurs

God drat it. The initial code leak said it was starting 2 hours later and I didn't see the update. Missed the item I wanted.

Sigh. Guess it's also robot dinos for me.

Edit: New arrivals!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 27, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ah, apparently the next big reveals will be at the London MCM Comic-Con, which is the same weekend as TFCon.

https://twitter.com/mcmcomiccon/status/1045334796849872896

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

God drat it. The initial code leak said it was starting 2 hours later and I didn't see the update. Missed the item I wanted.

Sigh. Guess it's also robot dinos for me.

Edit: New arrivals!

Where’d you order the thf hyper magnum? I love my thf soundblaster

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Anora posted:

That Lost Light penultimate book was really something. That Hot Rod speech was actually great.

I took the TFWiki transcript and put it on Facebook and was immediately pelted with "are you okay, have you been hacked?" type questions. Also, Rung's last message spelled out in the hotspots almost did me in

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like I soured too much on the series. I didn't really get emotional about the end.

I honestly couldn't remember who or what they were fighting from the last issue, and for all the fighting that the main characters were doing, there wasn't really a single panel where you see what they're fighting.

I think maybe lately I've just been unenthused about big setpieces that just give all the characters a couple moments without really going into depth on anything. I think I enjoy the parts of stories about building up things more. At this point, all the characters have been done with all their character arcs for a while and the comic isn't even pretending that there's a further universe to worry about right now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nice to see that Furman has evolved his portrayal of female Transformers characters.

He hasn't.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm just waiting for the new continuity to start

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Went and saw the 86 movie in theater tonight and now I want to bust out all my masterpiece stuff. Maybe I will.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The gently caress is this lovely looking video game

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's a mobile game called Earth Wars

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

TheDK posted:

Went and saw the 86 movie in theater tonight and now I want to bust out all my masterpiece stuff. Maybe I will.

Same. I was surprised a little how many kids I saw there too though I think I ended up in the nerds only theater as there were 2 showing it and I didn't see any of them inside mine. I worried about them but I figured after the Bay movies, maybe Transformers dying isn't a big deal to them. Let alone 30 year old ones.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Good Listener posted:

Same. I was surprised a little how many kids I saw there too though I think I ended up in the nerds only theater as there were 2 showing it and I didn't see any of them inside mine. I worried about them but I figured after the Bay movies, maybe Transformers dying isn't a big deal to them. Let alone 30 year old ones.

Did you get a cool poster?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

We had a bunch of kids in my theater, probably taken there by my their fathers who were my age. Watching it, I still enjoy it, but at the same I don't exactly re-watch that movie a whole lot. This is the first time I've seen in five years, maybe longer. It does make me thankful for my dad, who took me to see it for not complaining once I had him take me to see an 85 minute toy commercial. He even laughed at some stuff, like Slag's "Excuse me."

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
drat I forgot that was tonight.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

TheDK posted:

Did you get a cool poster?

I ended up not picking one up. The last one was offered to me by a dad with his kids and even tho they had multiple ones, I said he could keep it. I have the original poster design I got from Botcon so I'm cool :nyoron:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Huh. That looks like Livio Ramondelli art.

Amazing what a different colorist can do.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
It was pretty sweet but I basically watch this thing on a quarterly basis.

Hearing the music in a theater was nice.

I love me some Vince DiCola.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Where’d you order the thf hyper magnum? I love my thf soundblaster

ShowZ. Can't wait for flash sales to buy everything.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Good Listener posted:

The way most of the character deaths in the movie are handled, Ironhide, Prowl, and the rest might as well just be generic background bots. Unless they'd watched the G1 cartoon I doubt kids even recognized those guys as major characters to be affected by. If I remember right the only death that's given any emotional significance is Optimus Prime's, and maybe Starscream's. But I think the main difference would be that now those characters "get better", when we were watching the movie as kids that was it for those dead characters, there was no indication they'd show up in the cartoon or toyline again. Now we have 30 years of Optimi and Prowls and everyone else to look back on.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

My blood ran cold at Ironhide's death when I was 12.

That movie taking it up a notch is the reason there are Transformers fans today, I think.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Steve Vader posted:

That movie taking it up a notch is the reason there are Transformers fans today, I think.

Brawn was my tipping point. Those shoulder wounds are killer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When the film came out I was knee deep in MOTU and only had like 10 Transformers. My love for TFs didn't really ignite until I was in a used toy store in my mid teens. Still saw it in theaters though, next to my dad who snored through the whole thing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My parents swear up and down that they took me to see TFTM in the theater and I sobbed my drat head off. The first time I actually remember watching the movie was on VHS. I don't, or can't, know if that's because I've just lost the memory, like so much else of my childhood. But mixed in with that sense of watching it for the first time, is a conviction that I was watching it for the first time. If I believe that, and I believe my mom and dad as well, it means that to doofy little five-year-old Phy, seeing Optimus Prime get shot in the guts and die on the operating table was a traumatic incident bad enough to repress so hard I forgot I'd ever seen it in the first place.

Which is a weird thing to know about yourself.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Steve Vader posted:

It's definitely the single bit of Transformers media 99% of adult non-fans remembered pre-2007. I think the fact that TF:TM Optimus is serious, stoic, inspiring, and then dead is why the Bay character is pretty much just that in the 2007 movie, although they saved the dead part for the sequel. If your memory of TF is just that movie, you forget that Prime had moments of levity, annoyance, and even cracked a joke now and then.

I skipped this screening because I saw one a few years ago that was a double feature with GI Joe: The Movie (only the second or third time it had ever been shown in a theater), with two Q&As from several members of the voice cast (Neil Ross, Michael Bell, and several others), writers, and Wally Burr. No way was this one matching up to that.

Phy posted:

My parents swear up and down that they took me to see TFTM in the theater and I sobbed my drat head off. The first time I actually remember watching the movie was on VHS. I don't, or can't, know if that's because I've just lost the memory, like so much else of my childhood. But mixed in with that sense of watching it for the first time, is a conviction that I was watching it for the first time. If I believe that, and I believe my mom and dad as well, it means that to doofy little five-year-old Phy, seeing Optimus Prime get shot in the guts and die on the operating table was a traumatic incident bad enough to repress so hard I forgot I'd ever seen it in the first place.

This is like some Wolverine brain self-protection poo poo. Look what you've wrought, Flint Dille.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Steve Vader posted:

A deep, sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, yet at the same time thinking "okay so Megatron took 30+ years to figure out that the key to success was actually shooting to kill?"

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Knormal posted:

The way most of the character deaths in the movie are handled, Ironhide, Prowl, and the rest might as well just be generic background bots. Unless they'd watched the G1 cartoon I doubt kids even recognized those guys as major characters to be affected by. If I remember right the only death that's given any emotional significance is Optimus Prime's, and maybe Starscream's. But I think the main difference would be that now those characters "get better", when we were watching the movie as kids that was it for those dead characters, there was no indication they'd show up in the cartoon or toyline again. Now we have 30 years of Optimi and Prowls and everyone else to look back on.

This is a good point. Not to mention Shrapnel and Thundercracker pop up later in the movie (Thundercracker seems to be alive just a scene later when Starscream dies). Thinking about it though, I honestly never was too shaken by the deaths if only because by the time I saw it, the show was long over so I knew Prime got better. Heck, the thing that's more jarring to me watching it as an adult is that it's the full movie and not the one my mom taped off Fox in the early 90s. It's very weird not to suddenly go to a commercial break after "LET THE SLAUGHTER BEGIN!"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phy posted:

I'm reasonably certain a similar thing happened to me. I have no memory of watching the movie until I got it out from Hollywood Video in the 2000s, but when I watched it I had this bizarre deja vu where I recognized everything that was happening.

The movie was seriously hosed-up with the lethality of everything. In the show, they can fire their laser guns at eachother for hours without any wounds, and in the movie it's straight-up one shot, one kill, and the movie loving opens with a holocaust, a survivor of which gets cannibalized later. Unicron's one of the scariest things I've ever seen in a movie.

Kinda easy to see where Roberts picked up his habits on character fatality, including the inexplicable survival of brutal death scenes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Any of you want a new Big Powered? Because Takara is doing some extreme retooling to make one.

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/takara-tomy-transformers-legends-lgex-big-powered-revealed/42122/

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Keldroc posted:

It's definitely the single bit of Transformers media 99% of adult non-fans remembered pre-2007. I think the fact that TF:TM Optimus is serious, stoic, inspiring, and then dead is why the Bay character is pretty much just that in the 2007 movie, although they saved the dead part for the sequel. If your memory of TF is just that movie, you forget that Prime had moments of levity, annoyance, and even cracked a joke now and then.
Pretty much every modern Optimus is dull as heck. Well maybe not Animated or his occasional appearances in RiD 2017, I never saw enough of either to judge, but the Optimus in Prime, the High Moon games, and the Machima series is just all business and always serious. I miss the Optimus Prime that occasionally slam dunked an inexplicably oversized basketball.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey Rhyno, any word on if the Masterpiece Soundwave KO's are any good? There's some available with all the cassettes included on ebay for about 88 bucks shipped, and if they're of any decent build quality I might grab a set since I had to sell mine a while back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
From what I hear the THF version is pretty aces.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rad, I'll grab a set then. Thanks! :D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
ShowZ just listed the Blue Ultima Guard for $170 shipped. $30 cheaper than the original! I locked it in at that price because hell yeah giant robots!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How is the THF Magnus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I haven't been able to fiddle with him much but he's got a good heft. I'll post some thoughts on it later today.