Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

It's so good, here's how it came about :

My wife: Can you do some chores?

Me: Yeah, but I just got home from work, I need to chug IPA and shitpost on Q4T for a while

My wife (who, incidentally, couldn't give a poo poo about The Secret and dislikes when I talk about it): Do you really need to?

Me: Yah, I'm gonna say it's in Antarctica <shows her the flower-P7-Antarctica map>

My wife: ... ... ... ... I trust you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Thanks!

and, also, lol

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

If you draw arbitrary shapes around random landmarks you get something that looks a tiny bit like a lamp and points you to... an entire park. Now we jsut have to dig every square foot in the entire park.

Preiss definitely said, "I'll bury a cask in New York in November because, even though the ground is frozen, it will be a "clue" that gives us absolutely no new information."
Also like the guy who insists the jewels in the painting don't correspond to the jewels you can win, even though it's worked that way for both solved puzzles.
When these people do crossword puzzles, do they just enter whatever words they want regardless of the clues?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 4, 2018

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Good podcast episode this week.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
That poem reminds me of glenwood cemetary more than anything and its really famous for its statues. Its probably the most elaborate cemetary in the us and most of the really powerfull people in texas history are buried there. Its a small place next to downtown but theres no place in houston packed with more symbolic imagery than that place. I mean yall have probably looked at it but im not sure how well known it is outside of houston. Also all those parks that yall are looking at, the people those are named after are all buried there in glenwood.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person

DogonCrook posted:

That poem reminds me of glenwood cemetary more than anything and its really famous for its statues. Its probably the most elaborate cemetary in the us and most of the really powerfull people in texas history are buried there. Its a small place next to downtown but theres no place in houston packed with more symbolic imagery than that place. I mean yall have probably looked at it but im not sure how well known it is outside of houston. Also all those parks that yall are looking at, the people those are named after are all buried there in glenwood.

One of the only rules in the book is "they aren't buried in a cemetery "

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

All right burnstyle, when you going to make your announcement or whatever it is you plan on doing? Because you've been teasing poo poo on Facebook publicly now for a while, and ignoring everyone's questions there.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Crusty Nutsack posted:

All right burnstyle, when you going to make your announcement or whatever it is you plan on doing? Because you've been teasing poo poo on Facebook publicly now for a while, and ignoring everyone's questions there.

Which announcement? I think I have announced everything I have teased.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

burnstyle posted:

Which announcement? I think I have announced everything I have teased.

I don't listen to the podcast. You seem to be teasing that you found a casque. I'd assume if that were the case and you announced it on your podcast, someone in here who listens would have mentioned it since word would probably get around quickly.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I don't listen to the podcast. You seem to be teasing that you found a casque. I'd assume if that were the case and you announced it on your podcast, someone in here who listens would have mentioned it since word would probably get around quickly.

It was mentioned here. And he never said he found a casque.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BigFactory posted:

It was mentioned here. And he never said he found a casque.

I know he never said that. He's posting pics of himself holding what looks like one on Facebook and being all coy about it. Maybe he's just drumming up listeners for his podcast. In which case, smart, I suppose.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The podcast is really good, especially the recent episodes

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
There will never ever be another found casque

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I know he never said that. He's posting pics of himself holding what looks like one on Facebook and being all coy about it. Maybe he's just drumming up listeners for his podcast. In which case, smart, I suppose.

Your talking about the prototype casque?

It's the one the other 12 were molded from. John is burying it and having jjp's son create a painting, someone else is creating a verse.

He's doing it as a tribute. We put up $300 in silver and a $1500 tourmaline to whoever can find it

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

burnstyle posted:

Your talking about the prototype casque?

It's the one the other 12 were molded from. John is burying it and having jjp's son create a painting, someone else is creating a verse.

He's doing it as a tribute. We put up $300 in silver and a $1500 tourmaline to whoever can find it

Is that what that is? That's cool. You're a drat cock tease with it on FB though lol

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Is that what that is? That's cool. You're a drat cock tease with it on FB though lol

I'm easily the first one to hate on The Secret cockteasing nonsense, but I really think this is a "blame the medium not the messager" situation. Burnstyle teased the new hunt for about three weeks, but people who aren't subscribed to the shhhhh the secret podcast Facebook have been missing out: it reallt hurts that ther are ~15 fb pages about the hunt, -11 are run by burnstyle. But seriously he's been pretty forward about revealing why he's been teasing a casque

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Tl;dr: if youre blaming burnstyle for withholding information, you are just looking for someone to blame, and you've landed on the most blameless someone so shut the gently caress up

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Drunk Nerds posted:

Tl;dr: if youre blaming burnstyle for withholding information, you are just looking for someone to blame, and you've landed on the most blameless someone so shut the gently caress up

cool man cool cool I'll try and keep up better on those 15 facebook pages from now on so I don't make you mad

chill

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Herv posted:

There will never ever be another found casque

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

cool man cool cool I'll try and keep up better on those 15 facebook pages from now on so I don't make you mad

chill

Lol, I got really mad there, I don't know why. Sorry!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Drunk Nerds posted:

Lol, I got really mad there, I don't know why. Sorry!

the secret makes fools of us all

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
gently caress this one disappeared in my fb thread before I could catch it, I'll look tomorrow.
But someone found the verse that starts with "lane two twenty two, you'll see an arc of lights"
and said
"So I looked at page 222 of Ambrose Bierce collective works Shapes of Clay, and it talks about Grant, Is there any possibility this verse could of been the Chicago solve verse, were the finders of this one, the ones who supposedly got the wrong gem? Just found this so haven’t really looked to far into it, when I looked at the finders solve, he was sort of apologizing that it was a long time ago, and many hunters don’t agree on how he interpreted the solve. Anyone who’s really studied the Chicago solve, I would be really interested in your input on this."

...okay... one of the two found gems was found in Grant park... other than that...

Why Ambrose Bierce?
Why Shapes of Clay?
The Chicago solvers weren't supposedly given the wrong gem. The Cleveland solvers were definitely given the wrong one.
It's pretty clear for most hunters how the two solved gems were found, and all that happened was that Preiss misremembered the DnD players as stockbrokers, and misremembered "trees" as "feet."

It's just loving amazing how people can think "oh, this puzzle is a matter of me randomly associating poo poo with other poo poo and then massaging it to remotely relate with poo poo in the puzzle," even though THAT'S NOT HOW PUZZLES WORK

IIRC, burnstyle's response was simply, "no. It's impossible."

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 21, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Also, this is my impression of the average person who found out about the Secret via Expedition Unknown trying to do Sudoku...

Again, someone who discovered The Secret from the Discovery Channel special... trying to do Sudoku:

Okay, so there's the number 7. To the right of it is a blank. Beneath it is a blank. That's TWO blanks. Seven Rhymes with ELEVEN. What is ELEVEN? Two 1's next to each other. 1+1 = 2. A two should go both below and to the right of this seven. I HAVE SOLVED THE PUZZLE!!!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Are you drunk?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
YOU SOLVED THE PUZZLE!

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

Also, this is my impression of the average person who found out about the Secret via Expedition Unknown trying to do Sudoku...

Again, someone who discovered The Secret from the Discovery Channel special... trying to do Sudoku:

Okay, so there's the number 7. To the right of it is a blank. Beneath it is a blank. That's TWO blanks. Seven Rhymes with ELEVEN. What is ELEVEN? Two 1's next to each other. 1+1 = 2. A two should go both below and to the right of this seven. I HAVE SOLVED THE PUZZLE!!!

I believe this is what is called "Corn(ell)holing"

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

GoldenFuckingGate posted:

I believe this is what is called "Corn(ell)holing"

Ha.
Whattup, GG, I didn't know you were on here.

GG discovered the Japanese translation that everyone is flipping out about lately.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
It feels weird saying this, but SA is like my vacation home which I use to get away from the crazies.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Did you guys solve this poo poo yet?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Nooner posted:

Did you guys solve this poo poo yet?

I solved it all last night.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
So the Japanese translation is kind of a big deal. I was going to let fellow goon GoldenFuckingGate post about it if so inclined, but here's a real quick rundown (I fully encourage those in the know to chime in and correct me if anything below is misleading):

There was a Japanese edition of the book. Some of the references and quotes/idioms/whatnot in the English version of the book obviously don't compute if literally translated to Japanese. Therefore, Byron Preiss spent some time on the phone with someone involved in the Japanese translation of the book. The Japanese version not only contains additional explanations on particulars from the verses, but seems to also key us in on what specific lines may or may not be important to the solve. The translation also solidified what the actual clues in the verses for the two solved casks meant. Basically, we get a list of keywords in the verse, and a little nudge in the right direction on certain items. Anyway, here are the verses in the Japanese version.

Here is a full audio translation from burnstyle:

http://12treasures.com/finaltranslation.mp3

Here's a write up of the important bits of the Japanese translation:

WhiteRabbit @ QFT posted:

I just jotted down some notes while listening through it in case it's helpful as a general overview. It's not meant to be a substitute for listening to the original. The comments in brackets were quotes or interpretations made by the Japanese-English translator.

I'd still like to get some clarification on the hint for "two arms extended" (35:20); it's a bit confusing.

V1

“The water veers” is water that is being shot up into the sky. So do you think this is a normal spring, or a fountain, what do you think?

“Small of scale” – small in English obviously means small, but what does scale mean? In Japan, we have one thing that uses the English word scale, called “scale model”. (The hint seems to be that it’s referring to relative size; not many Japanese people will know what “scale” is.)

“There’s the spout” – this is referring to “The water veers”.

V2

“Fills the afternoon hours” – you can translate this directly as filling like a cup, but there’s a more direct and simple way. (“I think this is pointing towards a translation glitch…I’m not seeing any real big hints”.)

V3

The editor told me that if I gave you any hint at all, it would immediately solve the riddle.

V4

“Free speech” – (Translation guide)

"Couplet" – Shakespeare used these

"Columns" – The editor told me that these columns are made out of stone. What is the most famous stone column structure in the world?

V5

“Lane” – When you translate this directly it refers to a small road, but Lane in this context is a proper noun. Is it a name of a mountain/river/town or…? (I’m guessing it’s not one of these.)

“Weight and roots” – He (the editor) says that you should think about construction while reading this (construction of buildings, construction work).

“Wingless bird” – if you translate it directly, it means “bird without wings”. But, for instance, “iron horse” is motorcycle…(apparently he’s trying to show it’s not a literal bird without wings.) You could think of what a wingless bird could refer to. In Japan, you can see this thing very easily (as also in other places; not a special Japanese thing).

V6

“Men of tales and tunes” – What kind of men are these? The word “Romance” is there, but do not think of it literally. (The word “Romance” in Europe in the Middle Ages had a different meaning.)

“The birth of a century” - referring to a specific century’s birth; which one…?

“May 1913” – Open up your history textbook to May 1913 – what happened?

“Between two arms extended” – The arm that it is talking about; what angle you put it in began (?) It is difficult to give a hint, but the bar needs to be something that can bind.

“White House” – is it the home of the American President, or just a house that is white…?

V7

“Sweet” generally means sweet as in taste, but you shouldn’t really be concentrating on the taste because the the air can feel sweet; think of how air can be sweet. (Apparently air is important to this “sweet” meaning.)

“High post” – This post is made out of wood.

“Education and justice” – The editor told me that if you think of “can be seen not far” and add something onto it and think hard about it, it becomes easier to understand...it’s not clear what he’s getting at. (Audio indistinct.)

“Sounds from the sky” – The sound of a bird/plane/wind…there are also sounds that are not registered by human ears. (Audio indistinct.)

“Twain” – (Probably Mark Twain.)

V8

“The three stories of Mitchell” The word “stories” has a special meaning. Is it referring to bedtime stories or a three-story-building…? (Preiss apparently indicated it’s a building.)

“The beating of the world” – pull up an English dictionary and look somewhere around “drum” to find the name of a person.

“Step on nature, cast in copper” – He said that you should think of a leaf, but what does a leaf mean…? (“You have to make another step.”)

“Tall proud fifth” - maybe it’s referring to a tree – I think it means tree. (It sounds like he was weighing up Preiss’ reactions to different suggestions.)

V9

“Wind rose” is referring to, or related to, a nautical manoeuvre.

V10

“Whirring sound” - What kind of things make this sound…bug/bee/propeller. It seems as though it’s referring to something that runs on the land (not flying). It needs the power of humans to run. (Spinning pedals or something; like a bicycle.)

“Him of Hard words” – you would think it’s referring to a writer, but it’s difficult to find out who. When I asked Mr Preiss, he answered me with a riddle. “In order to arrive at this person, you must play with words, and the start is chicken.”

“Rhapsodic man” – I made a poor translation as “a man of epics”, however, from the word “rhapsodic”, think of a famous song, then you will know that the rhapsodic man is the man who made that song.

V11

“Octave” – Preiss said that Octave is a proper noun.

“To achieve by dauntless” – this is a direct quote from a book.

V12

“M and B” – These are the initials of two people. I asked Mr Preiss, what do they do, and he said both of them are very famous song composers.

“Congress” – When I asked Mr Preiss, he said that this is a proper noun.

“R / L” – This R and L are also referring to people. According to Preiss, R and L refer to one person, and it’s a critical politician.

“Rumble” is the sound of rumbling, what does that mean…?

“Brush” – Brush said something that made me think it was referring to a painting

“Hush” – “Quiet” (audio indistinct).

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I started reading this thread in 2013 then lost track of it somehow, I've just found it again binged and caught up reading. What a wild ride, the Japanese clues are a nice surprise.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
When it comes to the Japanese hint and getting into the mind of Preiss take Chicago as an example:

Image 5 - Verse 12, Chicago - Solved 1983

The Chicago cask was found without ever connecting "M and B" to Mozart and Beethoven, as Preiss makes obvious in his Japanese hints.

This is the Image:

This is the verse:

Where M and B are set in stone
And to Congress, R is known
L sits and left
Beyond his shoulder
Is the Fair Folks'
Treasure holder
The end of ten by thirteen
Is your clue
Fence and fixture
Central too
For finding jewel casque
Seek the sounds
Of rumble
Brush and music
Hush.

So the dudes who found it thought "M and B" stood for "Man and Beast" meaning the bowman sculpture, an obvious Poloroid match:

The Japanese Translation tells us it is definitely two famous composers:

Japanese Translation posted:

“M and B” – These are the initials of two people. I asked Mr Preiss, what do they do, and he said both of them are very famous song composers.

We now know every single letter initial in that verse was in reference to a notable individual M, B, R, L. We also know they dug a cask without correctly solving that hint. There is some dissent within a few feet, but I stood on the Chicago treasure ground and the one thing that was clear was you could see the bowman over yonder. I followed the verse from start to finish and never once paid mind to the Spirit of the Great Lakes or the Mozart and Beethoven. You get to Roosevelt and the Congress Hotel and the bowman is staring you in the face. You follow the verse from there, and the rest is irrelevant. Not sure what that means in the long run for finding the remaining treasure, but that was my impression having the proverbial boots on the ground in Chicago.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 28, 2018

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
Nice write up, MB!

I'm just the ahole who found the thing and got my source (a really real Japanese person and not a Googlebot) to provide a few translations. I'm not into secretly holding onto new information as it comes out even if it costs me an advantaged crack at the SF casque (because I'm a dummy).

Burnstyle kicked a whole lot of rear end getting all the clues systematically translated by a white guy who actually knew his poo poo (honestly the verse to image number connections BP gave up in the Japanese edition are going to be HUGE game changer -- or confirmer -- if one of us idiots can figure it out).

There's no doubt in my mind that these clues are some of the biggest, legit breaks we've had in this puzzle for years and hope they help even one schmuck have that OSHIT moment that will lead to a casque and key.

That said, none of that matters now... I'm sorry to announce that Josh Cornellhole and some mullet-head named "Dale" solved the whole thing. Josh was right, we're all losers and he's going to "rite" about it in his book that will be made into a dramatic feature film directed by Renner and starring Josh Gates as Josh Cornellhole.

Game's over, buttheads, pack up the ground pokers, time to go home to our dumb families.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 28, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Did we solve this poo poo yet!?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Did you check in the freezer? One time i couldnt find my keys and it turns out i put them in the freezer!!!!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

That said, none of that matters now... I'm sorry to announce that Josh Cornellhole and some mullet-head named "Dale" solved the whole thing. Josh was right, we're all losers and he's going to "rite" about it in his book that will be made into a dramatic feature film directed by Renner and starring Josh Gates as Josh Cornellhole.

Game's over, buttheads, pack up the ground pokers, time to go home to our dumb families.

Dale rules. I'd also advise people to check out "Dawn's" posts on FB, because they are great. She wrote the mystifying "perspective" post I quoted earlier on this page. Once she announced that she solved a puzzle, then follows up with "this is the San Francisco page, right?" While it was the SF page, you have to wonder about someone who claims they can find a 5 inch cube in the ground from 40 years ago, but can't figure out what FB page they are on.

(honestly the verse to image number connections BP gave up in the Japanese edition are going to be HUGE game changer -- or confirmer -- if one of us idiots can figure it out).

Could you elaborate, please? I thought I was pretty up to date on all the Japanese developments, but I guess I missed this entirely.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

Could you elaborate, please? I thought I was pretty up to date on all the Japanese developments, but I guess I missed this entirely.

An additional hint (beyond the verse clues) from BP to the Japanese readers:

"Before you go reading the poems, look at the pictures. Then, taking all of the numbers in the poems, you can then put them into different combinations and join them with a picture."

Scrappy on Q4t has an interesting breakdown in the "Clues From The Book" thread but Renovator the self appointed contrarian "decider" of the forum isn't convinced that BP's quote is accurate or valid because it doesn't follow Ren's own weirdo robot rules in his super favorite "Slow spill" thread that he diligently follows to see how many views it's received, which he somehow equates to validity.

If BP were still alive, took Renovator to a spot, dug up a casque and handed him a diamond, Renovator would lecture him that he did it all wrong and Ren needed more convincing.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

An additional hint (beyond the verse clues) from BP to the Japanese readers:

"Before you go reading the poems, look at the pictures. Then, taking all of the numbers in the poems, you can then put them into different combinations and join them with a picture."

Scrappy on Q4t has an interesting breakdown in the "Clues From The Book" thread but Renovator the self appointed contrarian "decider" of the forum isn't convinced that BP's quote is accurate or valid because it doesn't follow Ren's own weirdo robot rules in his super favorite "Slow spill" thread that he diligently follows to see how many views it's received, which he somehow equates to validity.

If BP were still alive, took Renovator to a spot, dug up a casque and handed him a diamond, Renovator would lecture him that he did it all wrong and Ren needed more convincing.

That slow spill thread hurts my brain.

Thanks for the clarification, I remember seeing "Before you go reading the poems, look at the pictures. Then, taking all of the numbers in the poems, you can then put them into different combinations and join them with a picture" and assuming that just meant you can match each verse with a picture.