Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

ultrafilter posted:

2 and look.

I’m ok with not demanding money from our fellow celestial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

2 and look.

achtungnight posted:

I’m ok with not demanding money from our fellow celestial.

I'm thinking both of these too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Let's be friends with Chinese geezer and tell him to refer trouble to us for free, and learn about the sledgehammer

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
We're not going to shake down our fellow man, but we can let him know we're not going to do it.

quote:

"Of course. If he comes by, send someone to me."

"Ah, it is good to know I have your support," Wong Dai Choi notes and his smile is more inclined toward his eyes.

(Honor increased) (+4 Honor)

"What exactly do you sell?"

quote:

"Many delicious things," Wong Dai Choi replies.

"I could use a reminder of home."

quote:

"I imagine you could," Wong Dai Choi says soberly. "How the Gweilo live on beef and potatoes I simply do not know."

Consider the expensive century eggs.
Jellied chicken feet…cheap.

quote:

"Ah, a treat for those who wish the taste of chicken without the whole bird," Wong Dai Choi explains. "Each of these feet is pickled and spiced to make for a succulent dish when roasted with rice or noodles. Frying them in a deep oil can also bring out a special flavor. Be careful with the bones though, they are many and tiny."

Buy a dozen.

quote:

"May this make a fine meal for you," Wong Dai Choi replies.
Move on to something else.

Those sausages look tasty.

quote:

"Traditional pork sausages with a pepper spices," Wong Dai Choi notes. "They are not all that different from those found in New York."

Buy half a dozen.

quote:

"May they make a hearty meal for you," Wong Dai Choi replies.

Rice and more rice.

quote:

"You can not go wrong with Wong's rice," he says then shifts a whole barrel of the white grains. "If you grow tired of bread, try this instead."

Buy a barrel.

quote:

"May it make many meals for you," Wong Dai Choi replies.
"Your salesman patter changed just then…"

quote:

"Yes. A storm raged while I took the train to the rail-head out of San Francisco. There I met Mister Clemens and it was he who suggested I put some snap into my words," Wong Dai Choi says. "Did you like it?"

"I'm buying a barrel of rice, aren't I?"
"Yes, I see," Wong Dai Choi replies happily.
"Its alright I suppose.
Wong Dai Choi nods and waits for you to continue your perusal.
"Nope. You can't sell more rice with better words."
"I understand," Wong Dai Choi replies.
Salted fish.

quote:

"Salted fish, especially this ocean salmon, keeps a long time and can be a tasteful alternative to beef," Wong Dai Choi notes as he retrieves a fillet covered in a light powder of salt.

Buy several fillets

quote:

"May they make a wise meal for you," Wong Dai Choi replies.
"Anything but beef and more beef."

quote:

"I know what you mean. That is half the reason I become a provender."

Dried noodles. Dried greens.

quote:

"Noodles, dried and salted. Excellent with vegetables. Fry and stir with a little oil to bring out the flavor."

Buy a few meals worth.

quote:

"May they make a tasteful meal for you," Wong Dai Choi replies.
"Anything but potatoes."

quote:

"The Gweilo do use them for more than I should like. Soon, the stomach rebels against such a diet."

"Do you have medicines too?"

quote:

"I have a few, allow me to show you," Wong Dai Choi says and motions you toward the back. "Red tea, white tea, black tea and, of course, green tea. The four elements of the cup, at your command. I also have a variety of medicines to help you sleep, sooth your stomach, reduce sores and many, many more."

Four boxes are laid out before you, each with a different assortment of leaves within. Other, smaller boxes, vials and pouches rest behind the provender.

Wave away the offer and depart.
Red tea.

quote:

"An excellent choice," Wong Dai Choi says. "The leaves have come a long way from China and they will keep for many years if need be."
Green tea.

quote:

"A reliable choice," Wong Dai Choi says. "The leaves were plucked just two months past and so should keep for nearly a year."
White tea.

quote:

"I am sad to say, that these leaves were picked two months past, and so, as with all young leaves, you should use them soon or else keep them out in the sun."

(Stamina very slightly increased) (+2 Stamina)
Black tea.

quote:

"A hearty choice, though I should say that these leaves are of English cultivation and not of China. Even so, it has a delightful taste."
Medicines?

quote:

"Indeed. Sometimes it is only the smallest of changes to our diet or habits that can mean all the world. For all other occasions, there is usually a medicine that will assist," Wong Dai Choi explains. "Did you have something in particular in mind?"

"I think I do need something special."
Together you and Wong Dai Choi work through what you need. A little drop, thrice a day for three days, and you feel a great deal better.

(Stamina slightly increased, Wealth very slightly decreased) (+2 Stamina, -1 Wealth) (9 Total Wealth)
Wave off his offer.
"Lately, I have been feeling out of sorts.…"

Feeling a bit better, it's time to go out and make some more rounds.

quote:

Get in touch with Jeff Donner.

You saunter over to Jeff Donner's butchery and find it as busy as ever. The man himself looks up from his bloody work and his glassy eyes focus on your own.

"Something I can help you with Marshal?" he asks as he sets aside his sledgehammer then removes his heavy apron and begins to wash himself up.

"Just saying hello."

"Hello then," Donner says. "Its a pleasure to see you again. Not many folks pay me a social visit. Least ways not out here."

You talk a while while he removes the blood from his forearms, though the coppery smell lingers on.

(Persuasion and Intimidate very slightly increased) (+1 Persuasion, +1 Intimidate)

(Whoops, I misread the script and it doesn't seem like we hit a high enough variable to get the other options, so just saying hello it is. Maybe next time interlude we'll ask him.)

quote:

Head over to the Saddler.

The saddler's open workshop is packed full of buffalo hides that all but drip down from a dozen rafters. They're thick, dark, and weighty enough to creak the timbers. Fresh too, or at least they still have a bit of fat on them.

Timothy Sadler is hard at work beneath the largest of them, trying to tease out what looks to be a permanent fold in an otherwise flawless hide, "Aren't they beautiful? Just got them off a band of Shoshone who were out Wyoming way. Not sure what I'll do with them, but if I can get them ready, someone's winters are going to be warm."

Just start chatting.

quote:

"How about that Jeff Donner?" Timothy asks. "I heard he nearly got to mixing it up with the Winthrops. Can't imagine why he'd want to do that. If he don't swing his hammer then not a one of us can use our knives."

The two of you chat until another customer comes in and business intercedes.

(Persuasion very slightly increased) (+1 Persuasion)

"I'd like to order a custom saddle. I didn't have time to grab mine before I swung from California."

quote:

Absolutely ma'am," Timothy replies and scribbles out your order. Soon enough, he has all the particulars from cantle to pommel.

The man sets to work and before you know it, you have a nice saddle fit to order. Inexpensive too on account of the man just charging for the leather and frame.

(Riding increased) (+4 Riding, -2 Wealth) (7 Wealth)
"I was wondering if you had time to craft a rifle-case for me."

quote:

"Sure can. I got a way with leather," Timothy says with a hint of a chuckle. "What've you got in mind?"

"I need something to make sure the sights don't get jostled none."
[quote]"Sure can do, Marshal," Timothy replies as he measures the length of your rifle. "A boy will bring it by later."

(Sharpshooting slightly increased, Wealth very slightly decreased) (+2 Sharpshooting, -1 Wealth) (6 Wealth)

"That's all for now, thanks."
"Then you take care now," Timothy says and clearly means it.

quote:

See if Godfrey the gunsmith has gotten anything new in stock.

"Marshal," Godfrey notes as you step on in but doesn't look up from working on a trigger assembling in the bright sunlight. "Give me a moment and then we can discuss things. Though, from the look of things, you'll be wanting plenty of powder, which I've got."

"Got a moment to chat?"

quote:

"I suppose," he glances up from the innards of the trigger and grins ever so slightly. "Powder and lots of it. Nothing quite like it in the world."

The two of you chat amiably for a long while, about drilling and blowing things…with a little chemical help of course.
"Let me take a look at your handguns."
"I'd like you to give my Colt Walker a thorough looking at."

quote:

"Easy enough," Godfrey says as he sets out a full kit of oils and delicate tools. "That's the trouble out here, things get wet when you think its dry and rust tries to creep in. And when winter comes, well, the cold does things to the metal that makes me curse."

You watch him get to work. It is a meticulous effort, sparing no component a pondering or sometimes a rub; done more by feel than anything else. By the time he's got it back together, you know this particular weapon inside and out.

(Gunfighting slightly increased, Wealth very slightly decreased) +2 Gunfighting, -1 Wealth) (5 Wealth)
"Have you gotten in anything special for rifles?"

quote:

"I've got a flip up set of irons sights I just salvaged off an old Einfield rifle. Adjustable from one hundred to nine hundred yards," Godfrey explains. "I know because I touched off a few rounds myself."

"I'll take it."
[quote]With just a little bit of work, the gunsmith affixes the iron sights and gives you a ready way to align your rounds with down range targets.

(Sharpshooting slightly increased, Wealth very slightly decreased) (+2 Sharpshooting, -1 Wealth) (4 Wealth)
"Never mind."
"I've got a few questions about black powder."
"Well ask then," Godfrey offers. "I've still got all ten of my fingers, so I expect I'm an expert in these parts."

It doesn't take long to pick up a few pointers, but soon enough a customer interrupts. You just know the man has got plenty more wisdom in the black powder arts in reserve, perhaps waiting for a better time.

(Explosives slightly increased) (+2 Explosives)

"I've got to go, Godfrey. Take care now."
"You too Marshal," Godfrey says and waves you on out the door.

quote:

The general store is a buzz with local farmers. Half of them are toting out sacks of grain from the barn while the others are busy on the second story discussing and divvying up the seeds with a variety of scales. Down below, on the first floor, their wives pour over the shiny little nick-knacks that Matthew has arrayed in half a dozen cases up front.

"Hello, hello, Marshal," Matthew waves to you from beside the counter. His graying side-burns are neat and tidy as ever. "Looking for something in particular?"

"Got a moment to talk?"
"I do indeed. Have you heard about the river?" Matthew asks. "It suddenly started flowing again. Isn't that wonderful? Now there's enough good water for people to bathe in, and buy soap for. Heck, makes me want to try and patch together a ferry for when the rains come."

The two of you talk a long while about the river and rafting until another customer comes in.

"I'd like to look at those chocolates there."
"You've got a harmonica there I'd like to see."

quote:

"This?" Matthew asks and holds up the brass finished, wood combed little mouth harp. "This, my friend, came a long way to be here. A Trossingen twelve hole diatonic harmonica. President Lincoln was said to carry this very same brand in his pocket."

Indeed, when you have it in your grip the instrument has a weight to it.

"All it takes is a steady bit of breath to make the most wonderful music," Matthew continues on. "Or if you want a little different sound, dip it in water and let the internal reeds sing a different tune."

"I'll pass."
"I'll buy it."
"I'll be taking it, free of charge."
"If I were to play it around town…"

quote:

"Too many have offered to do exactly that," Matthew chuckles, "and I had to say no to them too."

"Never mind."
"I'll buy it."

"Be seeing you, Matthew."

Now we could buy the harmonica, but fun thing is that the game actually allows you to acquire certain items for free if you have the stats for it. We had the option of just bullying him into giving it to us with our Intimidate score, but our Persuasion is not quite high enough to land the follow through. Specifically, we're 3 points short.

We kind of need the wealth for our building ambitions, so I'm going to leave it alone for the moment. This is also the point where I realized that the availability of things like the harmonica and the hammer is based on a random die roll when you enter the General Store.

quote:

The rhythmic pounding of the hammer on anvil fills your ears. A glance in finds Kevin Coolidge laying into a cavalry saber, or at least the blade of one. The hilt and such are on the workbench just two steps away.

"Marshal," Kevin says softly despite the din. He gives one last swing of the iron then looks over at you with coal black eyes.

"Got a moment to talk?"
Kevin tilts his head toward his glowing forge, "Nope, fire's up."

"I'd like a special weapon made."
"I'd like you to re-shoe my horse."
"Can you make something for my office, or rather the cells?"

"Guess I'm done here. Thanks for hearing me out."

"Anytime," Kevin replies then returns to his labor.

quote:

Purchase some materials for my homestead.

Good wood is always expensive out here and you'll need plenty of it for the floor, walls, and roof.

Fortunately, being the Marshal gives you a little leeway with things. People around town are all too willing to help you out.

(Wealth slightly reduced, Materials obtained) (-2 Wealth, 2 Wealth remains)

We only have enough to hire one set of idle hands, but it doesn't really matter which choice we use to hire them from since either project draws from the same labor pool (there is a way to get cheaper labor, but we missed out).

quote:

Employ some idle men to work on my land.

Idle hands are a rare thing out in Preston Springs. Everyone is either panning for gold or looking to separate prospectors from the same with whiskey or entertainment. However, from time to time even those folk need a break from everyday doings and fairly jump at a chance to build something more impressive than a mound of silt or a stack of empty glasses.

Paying them a little to start with the rest to follow proves to be enough motivation to get them moving toward your lot in the center of town.

(Wealth slightly reduced) (-2 Wealth, 0 left)

With our shopping done, it's time to move on to the next few segments of the interlude, which I'll put in a new post.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 24, 2018

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

quote:

Raise a glass at the Mother-Lode.
The Mother-Lode, the favorite watering hole of prospectors and those who don't mind drinking with them. Sure the Babylon has style and the Evening Star has quite the looker for an owner, but when you want a drink and don't mind a little mud on your boots, it is the place to go.

It helps that Mother Maddy, owner, bartender, cook and confidant, tolerates you as she does few others who don't pan for gold. She won't speak about what brought her out here though, no matter how you ask after it. Apparently some things in the west stay secret.

Visit the Babylon saloon.
The Babylon caters to the upper crust of the townsfolk. Those that don't have to get their hands dirty unless they want. Brass fittings, silver mirrors and canvasses from around the world adorn the interior.

Exotic drinks too, and not just whiskey. Cactus wine, authentic honey mead, wheat beer, and a few other specialties from who knows where line the back of the bar. It serves a grand pepper steak too, just as good as the one from the Grand Haven hotel. Mainly because they share a kitchen and a cook.

Stop in at the Evening Star.
The Evening star isn't all that different from other saloons. Oak bar, pine floor, and lots of bottles of booze. But when the lantern is hung high up in the rafters, that means the Evening star herself is down and ready to play hostess to thirsty travelers and prospectors.

Eve, as she likes to be called, has the oddest of patois accents and claims to have been born in Paris, raised in Quebec, then schooled in New Orleans. Any one of those would be exotic, but rolled up together in a young and beautiful figure adorned by silk and feathers, well, she's a rarity alright.

That she often talks about building a library is another thing that separates her in a land where making a mark can be a literal thing.

Lounge about the Grand Haven Hotel for bit.
The Grand Haven is, as ever, in grand style. Its carpeting is the best and nearly only kind about. The color even matches the drapes. They serve a great pepper steak too, equal to that of the Babylon; namely because they share the same kitchen and cook.

Ride down to Elko and see a play on their little makeshift stage.

quote:

You and a dozen others sit down to the melodrama Colleen Bawn; a stage-play written by the incomparable Laura Keene. Though the celebrated Actress of New York has long since moved on to other projects, troupes across the west still perform her work using whatever pages they manage to sneak out of the theaters back east.

The work opens on the County Kerry where Hardress Cregan and his mother have fallen on hard times. But a way to wealth remains if Hardress will marry the wealthy Anne Chute. He agrees, even though he is already secretly married to the beautiful Eily who herself has many unknowing admirers.

Hardress woos Anne, but knows that Eily will not allow him to simply walk away. He gets drunk and has a long talk with his hunchbacked servant Danny Mann. Danny offers to kill Eily and free his master from his troubles and proceeds to lay plans, thinking that Hardress, in his stupor, agreed. He connives to take Eily out to a place by the river and nearly succeeds in drowning her but for the sudden appearance of one of Eily's suitors who drives Danny off in the nick of time.

The wedding of Hardress and Anne goes forward but immediately afterward the constable arrives to place Hardress under arrest on suspicion of murder. But then Eily herself intercedes, mistakes are realized and emotions come rushing out. Anne can not marry Hardress but finds herself a hero in the suitor who saved Eily. In thanks for that, and a generous spirit, she pays off Hardress' debts and all is reconciled.

A happy ending and it earns applause, though you have to wonder if this is what Laura Keene originally wrote. Especially the long passages on Irish law.

(Legal Understanding slightly increased) (+2 Legal)

Not much has changed around town... but at least we got some legal skill out of this?

quote:

The men you hired mill about and wait on your word.

You know that you've got piles of lumber and such waiting at your lot.

Nothing much is happening, at least nothing around these parts that Preston and his deputies can't tend.

1. Ride out on a circuit of Lander county as the Marshal that people expect me to be.
2. Practice incessantly with my guns.

quote:

2.1 Practice solely with my pistols.
2.2 Practice solely with my rifle.
2.3 Practice with both equally.
2.4 Practice with my pistol more than my rifle.
2.5 Practice with my rifle more than my pistol.
3.Pull out my books and get to studying.

quote:

3.1 Focus on the law texts
3.2 Dive into the engineering manuals
3.3 Memorize the flora and fauna guides
3.4 Skim through all three of your tomes
4.Get out in the fresh air and do things.

quote:

4.1 Ride my horse for hours
4.2 Go for long walks along the river
4.3 Chop wood like there's no tomorrow
5. Go prospecting for a time.
6. Hire out as a hired gun for part of a stagecoach run.
7. Fix up my office.
8. Reinforce the foundation so my house won't tilt against the nearby businesses as it rises.

It's that time again. Vote for up to three things to do with our time.

LightWarden posted:

You can't do an option twice in one interlude, and if it's a subheading it'll lock out the other ones as well (so if we spent a segment practicing with pistols we couldn't spend another segment practicing with rifles during this interlude). Most of the skills should be pretty self evident, but of the remaining ones: riding a patrol boosts our Law and Order stats, long walks boosts Stamina, and chopping wood boosts Brawling and Resolve. Prospecting has some RNG elements to what comes back.

Of note, we've hired some help for one project, but if we don't give them anything to do then they'll be happy to take our money and leave after this section is over. Any building materials purchased can just hang around indefinitely though.

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions:
Health: Healthy and vigorous.
Wealth: Broke.
Values:
Order: 55% Freedom: 45%
Honor: 66% Arbitrary: 34%
Law: 44% Individuality: 56%
Notoriety: 2% Anonymity: 98%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 49%
Sharpshooting: 37%
Brawling: 36%
Riding: 37%
Survival: 38%
Legal: 24%
Engineering: 14%
Explosives: 25%
Persuasion: 38%
Intimidate: 40%
Stamina: 32%
Resolve: 40%

Influence:
Influence Carson: 68%
Influence Schmidt: 74%
Influence Caraway: 77%
Influence Preston: 87%
Influence Marshal James: 55%
Influence Yiska: 93%

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 24, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
1, 3.1 and 7.

I want an office, I want to pretend I'm a good Marshall and I should read up on law.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Fix up office, build home foundation, go prospecting. Let’s use the men while we have them, and make sure we get more wealth to hire them again next round if we like.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

Fix up office
Build home foundation
Study Law

We're opening the Marshal / Law Offices of Shen, Shen, and Shen.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Darth TNT posted:

1, 3.1 and 7.

I want an office, I want to pretend I'm a good Marshall and I should read up on law.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Fix up office, build home foundation, practice with rifle more than pistol.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Looks like we're fixing up the office.

quote:

Fix up my office.

A stack of fresh boards, topped with a jar filled with penny nails and a stout hammer to pound them with, has been dropped off at your front door one morning. A set of swinging shutters for your window is propped beside it. No bill, no note, just a gift out of the blue. Preston's doing, no doubt.

The men you hired get to work using the materials you purchased and soon the spruced up office is looking real fine. Once the brick work is fully in, this will be the warmest and coolest place in town.

Prepare the bear hide for setting out right in the middle of the floor.
Save the bear hide for now.

We need to figure out what we want to do with the bear hide since we can turn it into a rug for our home or office, but we can put it off until later since I don't want to stop for a vote on just this thing.

quote:

Reinforce the foundation so my house won't tilt against the nearby businesses as it rises.

You set into working with a will using the tools and materials you purchased, and before long not only is there a solid foundation, but also four walls to go with it.

Prepare the bear hide for setting out right in the middle of the floor.
Save the bear hide for now.

And apparently we'd rather study law than improve our shooting skills.

quote:

Pull out my books and get to studying.

You don't have many books with you, few people do, but the ones that you carried out here are well worth a second or third read.

Focus on the law texts.

quote:

The problem with frontier law is that those that write them aren't out here to apply them. No, you expect half the problems that arise will be because the high flying language of politicians doesn't translate well into the gruff of the ordinary settler.

(Legal Understanding slightly increased) (+3 Law)

Dive into the engineering manuals.
Memorize the flora and fauna guides.
Page through all three of my tomes.

quote:

Your spare days have been eaten up in full and you know that it is time to once again shine up your tin star.

As you head back to your office you catch sight of Preston walking beside Jeff Donner. They talk low and slow, cast the occasional glance toward the tannery in the distance. As Preston catches your eye, he gives a little wink and returns to his conversation.

(+10 Preston)

Interlude Concluded

Looks like Preston is at least sorting things out with Donner. On to Chapter 4.

quote:

Days go by and turn into weeks as you settle into your duties as Marshal of Lander County.

Come one morning, a letter arrives from San Francisco on the itinerant stagecoach; one that bears the flourished script of Marshal James. In it he writes that your close friends seem to be doing well, though they are still intent upon appealing your conviction even though you are officially dead. That has run them afoul of the Upton family on several occasion. Furthermore, it seems the Uptons are still upset about the death of their daughter Priscilla. Certain inquiries are being made and Marshal James doesn't like the idea of that one bit.

Also enclosed are your wages for three months. At last, an honest day's pay. Some of the people around town had been wondering whether all your sweat and efforts were strictly charitable.

(Wealth slightly increased) (+2 Wealth)

You consider what, if anything, to send back to him. Truth be told, while the county itself sprawls more than Delaware it has got fewer people than even a little city back east and so its troubles, aside from the incident at Red Ribbon, tend to be few and far between. That may change when the railroad comes along, but most days you rarely need to ride out to do more than settle the occasional dispute.

But on some days, however, the work comes to you.

We get paid, but don't have all that much left over for anything other than the necessities. Preston's deal has already paid out four times as much.

quote:

The morning sun shines bright through the shutters into your Marshal's Office. The treated wood is holding up nice and let's you sit in the shade or sun as you prefer.

Chairman Maow sprawls happily in the stream of sunlight where you've eased aside the shutters. And there that cat will stay, as if there had been mouse chasing all night long.

A commotion rises on the street. You glance out and find more than a few people stopped in the street, staring at something moving slowly past. A single step outside takes you out into the morning breeze and into view of a peculiar sight.

A horse ambles down the middle of the street with its rider slumped in the saddle. From the crimson drip that darkens his arm, this is not just another drunk prospector. The people of Preston Springs continue to gape as the horse carries the man toward the Mother-Lode saloon.

1. Intercept the horse then ease the rider down before he falls off.
2. Let the horse finish its walk to the Mother-Lode then get the rider inside the saloon.
3. Roll a cigarette and watch. This is town business, after all, and that makes it Preston's to deal with.
4. Go back into my office. People get shot all the time out here.
5. Let Preston handle this. It is town business after all.

Trouble afoot. Duty calls?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
1Intercept that horse

If this is Preston's business, then we'll let the man go. If not, we're just showing some 'friendliness' by helping him out. And we can figure out what's up - it doesn't hurt to be in the know in case this effects us. we're just figuring out what's going on - not interfering.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 26, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
1. Intercept the horse and Check on the rider.

Also, let’s put the bear rug in our home. Is it soft enough to sleep on?

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

achtungnight posted:

1. Intercept the horse and Check on the rider.

Also, let’s put the bear rug in our home. Is it soft enough to sleep on?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Intercept horse & put rug in home.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Target that horse, ramming speed! And let's put the rug down.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Darth TNT posted:

Target that horse, ramming speed! And let's put the rug down.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to lend a hand.

quote:

Intercept the horse then ease the rider down before he falls off.

Dirt crunches beneath your boots as you step out onto the street and ease before the horse. The beast slows a little at your approach. That lets you pull the figure from the saddle. Relieved of its burden, the beast trots quickly towards a water trough.

The man's seen better days. His skin is pale beneath a rough work short and trail dust has layered thick. A once sharp widow's peak has been blunted by a tangle of hair. His eyes flicker open and bleary brown orbs consider you and then your badge.

"Marshal…" he whispers out. "I'm…Frank Spears and I…I've…"

Then his voice gives out and he collapses back into bleak slumber. Thankfully, the Mother-lode is just a bit of a drag away.

(Honor slightly increased, Order very slightly increased) (+2 Honor, +1 Order)

The Mother-Lode is just waking up. A little sizzle of bacon rises from the back but the tables are clean and the bar is bare. A cluster of fairly sober if not well rested patrons rise from their blankets in the far corner near the embers of a fire. The saloon doors swing back and forth behind you and help shift away a linger of smoke.

1. Let Frank stay on the floor.
Put him on a table.

quote:

You lift Frank up onto the square slabs of wood that serve as tables here and feel it wobble beneath his weight.

Almost at once a stern woman's voice rises from the back, "Not there, off, off!"

You turn to find a woman with long, ice white hair in the doorway. Dressed all in black, supposedly in mourning for her five husbands, Mother Maddy is just a little slip of a thing who nonetheless strides in as though she were a lieutenant-general.
2. Move Frank to a different table.
3. Move him to the floor.
4. Get him to the bar.
5. Leave him there.

Put him on the bar.

quote:

You lift him up onto the flat slab of polished wood that serves as a bar and hear it creak beneath his weight.

Almost at once a stern woman's voice rises from the back, "Not on the bar, off, off!"

You turn to find a woman with long, ice white hair in the doorway. Dressed all in black, supposedly in mourning for her five husbands she's had, Mother Maddy is just a little slip of a thing who nonetheless strides in as though she were a lieutenant-general.

"Are you deaf?" she says sharply. "Get him off there."

Move Frank to a table.
Move him to the floor.
6. Flip him over the edge to the other side of the bar.
7. Leave him there.

We've got an injured man here, but not a lot of places to put him.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: Move him to the floor.

I wish there was an option to ask Maddy, "Well, where do you want me to put him?"

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
6 sounds like a great comedy option but even on MASH & Scrubs they were always professional doctors when it came to treating the injured. Treat him on the floor.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 27, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Get on the floor.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Get on the floor.

Put your hands up! Put your hands up! get on the floor!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
1. 2

Either give useful information or shut up lady.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Looks like the floor is probably our best bet here.

quote:

Move him to the floor.

You shift him down to the floor. It is a clean swept thing but with plenty of prior stains atop the timbers. Mother Maddy comes around and kneels beside Frank. By the time she removes his jacket, her hands are slick with blood.

"His right arm's got a nasty nick," Mother Maddy relates, "and there's a good sized slash on his left leg. That's not all either, he's got quarter-inch splinters in his back. Even though he's had a hard ride, he may pull through. Get me a whiskey, a full bottle, and the roll of bandages behind the bar."

Before long Frank is patched up and breathing steady, if shallow, once more.

As you wash the blood off your hands, a steady step rises up outside. JT Preston, pressed suit adorned with real gold buttons that all but shine beneath a scarlet silk tie, pushes through the swinging doors to the saloon.

Two of his deputies prowl afterward on his heels as he heads straight over. The 'Sheriff' spares Mother Maddy a tip of his hat and you a look before he steps over to the prostrate form of Frank Spears, "Frank here was between claims. I talked him and Andy Smith into grading the road out to Salt Lake City: filling in holes and smoothing out ruts. It was good, steady work for the month. Maybe more. See, I've got a stage-coach that is coming in soon and its gonna carry something for me on through to the Mormons in Salt Lake. You could even say there is real money riding on this."

"What's this about the Salt Lake City?"
"Them Mormons are good business partners, mainly cause they won't try and cheat me," Preston explains, "at least not like some around here."

"Grading work?"
"Smoothing things along the road so that a heavily laden wagon won't bust an axle," Preston points out. "That happens more than you'd think, and I don't want it to happen with the load I'm sending."

"What are you sending out?"
"Gold. Raw gold. The Mormons can't get enough of it, mainly because they don't spend it," Preston chuckles under his breath. "Nope, they hoard their little shinnies and then wonder why there ain't enough coin to go around. I'd really make a mint out there if I could open a mint."

"You sound worried about this."
"Of course I am," Preston agrees. "Whoever shot Frank, and probably his partner, might well take a shot at my wagon when it comes through. In fact, I'd bet my watch on it."

"Who could have done this?"
"Anyone with a gun and a knife," Preston muses, "and it weren't no Indians cause he's still breathing. Doesn't seem personal. People around here like Frank. That means…it could be a gang of some kind. You'll know more when you get out there."

What are you getting back from Salt Lake City?"
"Lots of thing," Preston explains, "have you noticed there's no banks in these parts? Well, that's because they'd get robbed all the time. All you'd have to do is wait for the wood to warp and stick a hand through."

"Let's just skip to the part where you tell me to ride on out and deal with this."

quote:

"Let's just skip to the part where you tell me to ride on out and deal with this."

"Glad you get it, Marshal. This here isn't town business, if you take my meaning," Preston says as he glances down at Frank with a hint of fondness. "And I sent him out, which makes me feel…responsible."

Mother Maddy dribbles a little whiskey under Frank's tongue. With a groan, the wounded man rouses back away.

Preston crouches down beside the man and speaks in a hushed voice, "You gonna live, Frank?"

"I ain't dead?" the older man wonders honestly then draws in a long breath.

"Nope," Preston stands back up and tosses a glance your way. "Go on and ask the man what you need to know."

1. Settle in beside Frank and listen to his blood-soaked story.
2. Inspect his soot blackened fingers.
3. I know what he was doing, where he came from and who he was with. That's enough to investigate right now.
4. Do not get involved, leave the saloon and return to my office. Once Frank got into town, that made it town business.

Sounds like more trouble, do we get involved?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
edit: 2

Dong Quixote fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 28, 2018

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

2 He was shovelling. What's soot doing there? We can listen while we look.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Check the fingers.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I usually listen to the story, but yeah, the fingers stand out now that you mention it. Check his fingers.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Check fingers.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:
1. Settle in beside Frank and listen to his blood-soaked story.
2. Inspect his soot blackened fingers.
3. I know what he was doing, where he came from and who he was with. That's enough to investigate right now.

I'm assuming we can investigate all branches, get the full details, then ride out.

Folks, we're investigating this; could be the entire gold wagon just happens to 'disappear' into our pocket.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

quote:

Inspect his soot blackened fingers.

His fingers have been blackened by discharged powder, probably from firing a pistol. But there are also bits of powder lodged under his fingernails, which wouldn't get there if he were not handling it directly for some reason such as trying to reload a weapon.

"Marshal…" Frank gasps out. "We got jumped. Hard."

"Were they banditos, gangers, Indians…?"
"Gangers. With an Injun," Frank says and gulps down a breath.

"How many?"
"Ten or more," Frank gives a little grunt and grimaces as he finishes the words.

"Where were you when it happened?"
"Out near Trout Creek. They laid into us when we was working in the water," the wounded man gives a low groan then licks his dry lips.

Mother Maddy is right there with a cup of watered beer.

"Did you fight back against them?"
"Tried. Too fast. All too fast. Thank God they stopped shooting and started trying to cut at us," Frank shudders and wracks out a cough.

"What about your partner?"
"Andy and me got split up. Don't know if he got away," Frank manages through blood-flecked lips.

"Where would your partner go if he was in trouble?"
"Albion Falls. He got kin up there," Frank gives out a sigh and lies still after.

"That's all I needed from you, Frank."
Stop asking questions and let Frank rest.
"Find Andy. Please," Frank asks of you as you head for the swinging doors. "He's my best friend."

quote:

The town is back to its usual dusty, bustling self when you emerge. The Grand Haven Hotel has acquired more than a dozen visiting prospectors covered in varying layers of grime. The tidy staff of young women and men there have to truly strive to clean the linens and haul in water for them. Yet for all that, the saloons are oddly idle. Something is definitely afoot.

A moment later Preston joins you on the porch, "Well, what's your plan?"

1. "My plan is not to tell you anything and get on with it."
2. "I'm going east to find Andy. Shouldn't be too hard."
3. "I'll swing north to Albion Falls. That is where Andy would have gone and the Gangers aren't out for blood."
4. "I'll go after the men that did this. Shouldn't be hard; seems they want to be found."

So, what's the plan here?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
2. Find Andy. If we can get assistance on this or more information it would be good. Assuming anything about the enemy or going after them directly without as much information as possible is probably asking for trouble.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

achtungnight posted:

2. Find Andy. If we can get assistance on this or more information it would be good. Assuming anything about the enemy or going after them directly without as much information as possible is probably asking for trouble.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

3. "I'll swing north to Albion Falls.

Slor The Destroyer
Aug 4, 2012
3. "I'll swing north to Albion Falls." Finding Andy, assuming he's still alive, seems like a priority. Hopefully we can backtrack to the attack site if need be.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Tie here, but we're pretty much in agreement about finding Andy, even if we're not sure where to start looking.

quote:

"I'm going east to find Andy. Shouldn't be too hard."

"Let's hope so," Preston agrees.

Mother Maddy steps out with a blood caked shirt draped across a hand, "He'll live a while yet, I can say that much. There gonna be justice for this?"

Preston gives a cough and waves his fingers absently toward you, "We were just discussing that. Now Maddy, if you need something for Frank there, just ask and I'll provide. He was working for me after all."

"Least you could do," she agrees.

"Precisely," Preston says as he extracts his shiny gold pocket watch and absently flicks open the cover to take a look at the time. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm about to be late for a meeting. Don't want to keep those men waiting when they're bringing me their gold."

He strides off down the wooden walk, makes a bee-line straight for the Grand Haven hotel. There he greets the swarm of prospectors warmly with claps on the back and offers them grand, sweeping gestures.

Mother Maddy scoffs, "JT's netting all the suckers, isn't he? And this is just the first run."

"What do you mean?"

quote:

"Look at him work that crowd. They love him. They trust him," she shakes her head and sends her braid to flicking. "They're all gonna invest in that bank he's planning to build. Can you imagine that? Not only will he get a cut of everything that is earned, but he'll get a cut of everything that is saved too."
"I don't understand."

quote:

"Of course you don't. Neither did I until I got one of them 'investors' drunk to the gills and blabbing about everything," she says, "turns out that Preston is building a bank here. Can you imagine that? Not only will he get a cut of everything that is earned, but he'll get a cut of everything that is saved too."
"What is so different about all these prospectors?"

quote:

"You see them drinking? You see them even thinking of drinking?" she asks, "no, they're here to talk and talk business, about investing in the bank that Preston wants to build here. Then not only will JT get a cut of everything that is earned, but he'll get a cut of everything that is saved too."

You watch as Preston corrals up the prospectors and moves them inside. No doubt there'll be a big breakfast then coffee with just a dollop of brandy or whiskey. All the while Preston will be wooing them over to his ends.

None of that matters for Frank, or Andy for that matter. They were just two guys working for a man; doing their job and getting bloodied for it.

Mother Maddy steps off to try and wash the bloody shirt in the nearby trough and leaves you to your thoughts.

1. The first priority is to visit the site where Frank and Andy were attacked to see what happened for myself.
2. As I told Preston, I'd better find Andy straight away. After all, he might not have made it to Albion Falls.
3. On second thought, heading out to Albion Falls seems like a better idea than stumbling about looking for Andy in the wild.
4. Now that I think about it, hitting the gangers directly will probably serve better than finding Andy.
5. The stagecoach is actually the crux of things. It would be best to wait for it to arrive even if it takes a week or more.

We have the opportunity to recalibrate a little if we want to. Regardless of what we choose, we'll have another decision afterwards.

quote:

As you turn toward the stable, you spy Miss Caraway absently leaning against the saloon wall beneath the eaves. She catches your eye and measures your step, "You heading somewhere, Marshal?"

"Yeah, and I was just about to invite you along. Could be gun-play though."
"Seems so. Why?"

quote:

"I'm not real busy, maybe you'd like a little company on your soiree," she offers.
"Well, I could use another pistol or two on this."
"I'm going to have to decline."
"Why don't you tell me? I expect you overheard the whole conversation."

quote:

"No, I didn't. That'd be rude," she points out, "but if I did, I'd offer to come along with you. An extra hand as it were, in particular one that knows how to work a pistol or two."
"Well, I could use some help on this. You're invited to the party."
"I'm going to have to decline."

Caraway is interested in tagging along with us, though if we don't want her company we do have other choices. We can travel with Miss Caraway, Dan Schmidt, Ben Carson, Schmidt and Carson or nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

2 and let's take Miss Caraway.