Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Thaddius the Large posted:

My dad wound up with an offer for 50% off any Big Agnes tent, anybody particularly familiar with their more lightweight selections? I’d love a new 2 person backpacking tent, but haven’t ever had any from them before.

I have the Flycreek UL2 and the Tiger Wall UL3. I much prefer the side entrance on the Tiger Wall over the front entrance of the Flycreek. Both require staking out at least one end, but that's never been an issue for me. The Flycreek UL2 was big enough to sleep two people who aren't afraid to touch butts at night. The Tiger Wall UL3 is plenty big for two people to not touch at all when sleeping. Both are fantastic tents and you can't go wrong with either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Awesome, thanks for the input. I’ll probably go with the Copper Spur UL2, just glancing over their website it seems to fit my bill quite nicely.

talktapes posted:

I'm a fan of my Copper Spur UL2 mtnGLO. Not all that ultralight, but plenty of room for two people and not too much for one. Nice interior pocket features. Wasn't sure about the lights when I bought it, but they absolutely are not a gimmick and are very useful for reading at night or locating your tent in the dark.

Lol, this hit on the two things I was wondering about, the lights definitely seemed silly but nice to know they’re not a waste, and while I prefer something a little lighter than the 8 pound monstrosity I’m currently hauling, it hardly needs to be ultralight. Last trip I did I both overpacked and have way too much heavy gear, between my own stuff and needing to carry water and food for my dog, I wound up just north of 50 pounds, which was pretty manageable since I’m a big guy and it wasn’t a strenuous route, but made for a much more tiring few days than it really needed to be. Hazard of starting with all camping gear and slowly replacing it with lighter equipment as time goes on.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

My dad wound up with an offer for 50% off any Big Agnes tent, anybody particularly familiar with their more lightweight selections? I’d love a new 2 person backpacking tent, but haven’t ever had any from them before.

The Tiger Wall 2 or 3 is going to be your best bet. New models, extremely light. Double door/vestibule.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

I've owned my fly creek for maybe 7 years now. Great, durable, lightweight tent. And Big Agnes is a great company. I've twice ran into BA employees on backcountry trails as a group.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I cannot emphasize how much nicer side-door tents are than end-door tents, and I don't even own a side-door tent. Like, holy poo poo, can I go back in time and yell at myself for buying the one I have now?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I cannot emphasize how much nicer side-door tents are than end-door tents, and I don't even own a side-door tent. Like, holy poo poo, can I go back in time and yell at myself for buying the one I have now?

You can't pee out of the tent from inside your sleeping bag with an end door tent.

Just saying ... if you had to.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Verman posted:

You can't pee out of the tent from inside your sleeping bag with an end door tent.

You can with the cheap 1-man end-door tent I've got. It's single-wall and it has these little zippered windows around waist level, just right for night-pissing. But the guyline right above the door is a huge pain in the rear end and piss-windows do not make up for it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Agreed.
I have a BA Slater UL1+. I like a lot about it, but I wish I had side doors on it. This tent is big enough for my gf and I to sleep on pads together (tightly), but getting in and out is a pain. When I'm on my own its not much better. Side entry is where its at. I have a 3 man ALPS with 2 side doors and its soo much more convenient.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Verman posted:

just lol if you don't piss in a bottle right in your bag

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Take a Hike! > Backpacking and Camping Gear Megathread, buy a tent with piss windows

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Morbus posted:

just lol if you don't piss in a bottle right in your bag

I've always wanted to do this in the winter, but the physics involved while doing this in a hammock are sketchy at best

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

deong posted:

Agreed.
I have a 3 man ALPS with 2 side doors and its soo much more convenient.

I remember my ALPS... Right before my hussy wife lost it and failed to notify me over the course of 1.5 years until 2 days before my loving trip so I had to go buy a new tent.

I got mad and bought a North Face Stormbreak 2. Seems legit, but the 2 stretcher poles make me nervous.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've always wanted to do this in the winter, but the physics involved while doing this in a hammock are sketchy at best

Those wide mouth Nalgenes are great for this cause you can just put yer whole bidness in there and fire away in any vaguely gravity assisted direction.

On the topic of technical urineering, my girlfriend has become sold on the concept of floorless shelters after she realized you can just pee on the ground without even leaving the tent.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Jesus christ, you monsters. Have you never heard of TravelJohns?!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah the only bottles I carry with I use for drinking sooo .... I just make sure my boots aren't near the opening of my tent.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just got a cheap tarp for my hammock. It's got 4 identical guy lines, one for each grommeted corner. How do the hammock users here like to store the guylines, tied to the tarp or do you untie them and wrap them separately each time? How do you keep the lines from tangling in either case?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just got a cheap tarp for my hammock. It's got 4 identical guy lines, one for each grommeted corner. How do the hammock users here like to store the guylines, tied to the tarp or do you untie them and wrap them separately each time? How do you keep the lines from tangling in either case?

This is one of my biggest issues. What I do now is use mesh snake skins, and pull each side straight, tuck the cords inside the tarp, and then roll it up and drag over the skins. I leave the lines tied to the tarp btw. You don't really need a real knot, just pass it along inside itself for a bullet proof knot.

It works 2/3 times, then usually gets hosed when I hang up things to dry at home. I believe the solution is a tiny little plastic stick figure doohicky to wrap the excess line around, one for each rope.

I've been hammocking for probably about 6-7 years now and I have yet to nail this problem, it's my biggest annoyance camping. I was going to 3d printsome cord wrapping doohickeys, but I keep forgetting to dick with it till I'm out in the woods trying to unfumble lines. I keep checking Dutch gear for a solution, he seems like the right man to solve this, but no dice yet. I can't be the only one that gets pissed off at this every time they go out...

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you don't use super thin guylines (standard 3mm utility cord is fine), leave them attached to the tarp, and fold the tarp + guylines together in a way that not all the guylines are touching each other (as opposed to just stuffing the whole mess into your pack or a stuff sack), then you should be fine.

I have never dealt with guyline tangles on my main shelter and its a mid with 16 guylines attached to it--8 of which are probably a lot longer than what you need for just staking out the corners of your tarp.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
That's two people now in just a few pages saying their wives lost their tents. How does that happen exactly? Did they fail to stake them down while camping on a ridge line, and have them get blown off or something?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

For guylines I throw up the devil horns with my left hand and figure-8 the line. I still have to sorta jam the bundle in my snake skin, but it doesn't get tangled.

I keep my lines long for versatile pitches.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Morbus posted:

If you don't use super thin guylines (standard 3mm utility cord is fine), leave them attached to the tarp, and fold the tarp + guylines together in a way that not all the guylines are touching each other (as opposed to just stuffing the whole mess into your pack or a stuff sack), then you should be fine.

I have never dealt with guyline tangles on my main shelter and its a mid with 16 guylines attached to it--8 of which are probably a lot longer than what you need for just staking out the corners of your tarp.

My big tangle issue is the continuous ridgeline, that tangles pretty easily with the nighteeze tech line, which is otherwise awesome. I also keep my tieouts pretty long so I can chuck up my hiking poles under it for front porch mode.

Bundling it in the snake skins works great about sixty percent of the time, but the rest of it I'm busy loving around and untangling stuff instead of enjoying where I'm at. Sometimes I do the figure eight finger wrap, but my luck is about the same with it. I just need like a little headphone wrap doohicky for each line I think.

Non hammock related, but for car camping with an air mattress, what's the lowest I can go before worrying about R value? Would something like a foam mattress pad work well to keep my underside warm into late fall?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Call me crazy but I just get out of my tent to go pee. Usually good time to see some stars and such as well.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

khysanth posted:

Call me crazy but I just get out of my tent to go pee. Usually good time to see some stars and such as well.

Entirely depends on the temp to me.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Non hammock related, but for car camping with an air mattress, what's the lowest I can go before worrying about R value? Would something like a foam mattress pad work well to keep my underside warm into late fall?

Maybe 40 degrees? It depends on your sleeping bag and if you sleep warm or cold. It also depends on your tent, humidity and wind. The problem with a non insulated air pad is that the air inside the pad can cool down which will cool you down from underneath. Foam pads work well to keep you insulated from the ground but having a non insulated pad above it won't do much especially if its a thicker air pad.

I honestly just use my backpacking pad and sleeping bag all the time. I do a lot more backpacking than I do car camping nowadays so its hard to tell. I'm also in the pacific northwest so even in summer, it can be pretty chilly at night up in the mountains.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

khysanth posted:

Same.

Pissing in a bottle is just not something I choose to do. And I’ve been camped 19,000’ up Aconcagua and still went outside. My buddy got really good at pissing in his bottle tho, to the point I never heard him.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

My big tangle issue is the continuous ridgeline, that tangles pretty easily with the nighteeze tech line, which is otherwise awesome.
How do you hang your tarp when the continuous ridge line is inside the snake skin?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Can sleeping bags be zipped together for two people? My brother and his wife want new bags with this feature, if it exists. Any recommendations or words of wisdom?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Some can, it's usually a feature on rectangular bags but some mummy bags will also do this, they'll usually specify if they do.

In general, I much prefer individual bags over zipping them together though especially if its cold outside.

But I get it, camping sex is in tents.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Van Dis posted:

Can sleeping bags be zipped together for two people? My brother and his wife want new bags with this feature, if it exists. Any recommendations or words of wisdom?

Yeah, I have two rectangular bags of the same make and model, and they’re easy to combine. Not as warm as a single, but, well, it clearly has other advantages.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Van Dis posted:

Quite a few manufacturers have right and left zippers for mens and womens bags, usually by brand unless they have the same zipper size. To be sure, you could try zipping them up at REI and seeing if they work.

Usually most people don't do it in practice though, since you're usually hot, dirty, sweaty and smelly when backpacking or camping.

One random thought is that instead of sleeping bags, maybe try two quilts or something. You could punch some snap buttons on the sides pretty easily so they snap together with a kit like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CO0FWO2/

And that would be more blanket like than two sleeping bags...

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 1, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I used to hate on zipping bags together, but if you just half zip them and use it as one big quilt it is much more bearable. It is just a little weird to have separate foot pockets with mummy bags.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah, I have two rectangular bags of the same make and model, and they’re easy to combine. Not as warm as a single, but, well, it clearly has other advantages.

Which make and model?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

armorer posted:

That's two people now in just a few pages saying their wives lost their tents. How does that happen exactly? Did they fail to stake them down while camping on a ridge line, and have them get blown off or something?

She took the tent to Bonneroo (sp?) and left it in someone's car when she carpooled home. Nobody knows where it went.
:iiam:

That said, I'm back from my 3 day trip and feel loving ragged. I started getting sick before I went out, now my breathing sounds like a rusted chainsaw trying to start.

It was loving beautiful though. No regrets whatsoever. My buddy has some excellent people in his corner and I got to meet some great people.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 1, 2018

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I like to daisy chain my guy lines before packing away. Write a treat to make sure everything is easy to set up next time.

Phone posting so no idea if this video describes it well but this should give you a did starting point to work it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uQPBBGIhKc

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Sorry to hear you got sick, that sucks man... Looks like an awesome place though, where was that again?

jobson groeth posted:

I like to daisy chain my guy lines before packing away. Write a treat to make sure everything is easy to set up next time.

Phone posting so no idea if this video describes it well but this should give you a did starting point to work it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uQPBBGIhKc

That's an awesome idea! I already do this with my climbing rope, I don't know why it never occurred to try it with thinner tech line... I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 3, 2018

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Van Dis posted:

Which make and model?

Sorry for the delay, finally remembered to check, a Glacier’s Edge 30 degree hooded sleeping bag. It’s just the cheapest POS I could grab at the nearby Fred Meyer for the kids to use for sleepovers or for when we’re just doing a weekend car camping trip or some such.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

OSU_Matthew posted:

Sorry to hear you got sick, that sucks man... Looks like an awesome place though, where was that again?

This is Nordhouse Dunes in the north-western part of MI's lower peninsula.

Pretty much exactly here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.098...68!8i3584?hl=en

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like the photo / making GBS threads threads are closed so have a snap from my most recent trip to Tasmania. This is taken from the toilet at sunrise.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Gonna try my hand at camping as it cools off here in NC. I travel for work and have been hiking a lot, but staying the night is something new and exciting.

How is the REI COOP for a starter tent and mummy bag? I like the low intro prices and I’m not that concerned with equipment weight yet. I’ll most likely be camping within a couple miles of my car until I either love it and spend more money for better gear or hate it and no big financial loss.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Rolo posted:

Gonna try my hand at camping as it cools off here in NC. I travel for work and have been hiking a lot, but staying the night is something new and exciting.

How is the REI COOP for a starter tent and mummy bag? I like the low intro prices and I’m not that concerned with equipment weight yet. I’ll most likely be camping within a couple miles of my car until I either love it and spend more money for better gear or hate it and no big financial loss.

If you're not going to be somewhere with terrible weather / bugs then a tarp / fly and groundsheet is a super light / cheap shelter option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I ended up getting in on a deal they were having at REI. After a sale they were having and a coupon an employee donated to me, I got a Passage 2 tent, Stratus sleeping pad, a Trail Pod 30 sleeping bag, two pair of hiking socks and a base layer shirt for 230 bucks.

It all fits really well in my Osprey bag so I feel pretty good to go for the time being.